PDA

View Full Version : M3 Warhorses...

Yamabushi
18-04-2012, 01:49
Anyone noticed that in the Mount summary of the latest Empire book (page 87), the Warhorse has M3, WS of 0, and a BS of 3?

Its a minor oversight, but it sure is funny and shocking to me the first time I skimmed through that part. :D

Jerry
18-04-2012, 02:31
Wow... Shows how much dedication they go to when creating these abominations.

Why
18-04-2012, 02:35
I will have to bring that up against any empire player I see:evilgrin:

" Okay I march my 14 inches."
" No you don't, you can only march 6"
" What thats ridiculous."
" Sorry pal look, only M3."

Frep
18-04-2012, 02:38
Considering the size of the empire knight mounts..... that is actually pretty funny though

Yamabushi
18-04-2012, 02:51
So...the myth of pony riders are true after all!

Valaraukar
18-04-2012, 07:02
Hope they're not barded, M2 :cries:

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 07:16
It should be noted this only applies to the state of the Warhorse in the Mounts section of the army list. The summary and warhorses listed as part of profiles for particular units are still what they should be. That is to say, not slower than a man on foot, useless in a melee, and a crack shot.

It's a minor gaff, but an unforgivable one on the part of the editorial team. I've been through the entire book in search of these, and there is a few in there, but this is arguably the worst.

Minsc
18-04-2012, 08:28
Yay for paying 30 for a faulty product.

IcedCrow
18-04-2012, 11:45
{takes out pen. changes M3 to M8. puts pen away. Shares in the laugh that was the mistake. Decides not to nitpick and pile in on the "GW puts out faulty products" rant. End}

Sexiest_hero
18-04-2012, 12:00
I've got An image of slow moving horse riflemen.

Jerry
18-04-2012, 12:17
{takes out pen. changes M3 to M8. puts pen away. Shares in the laugh that was the mistake. Decides not to nitpick and pile in on the "GW puts out faulty products" rant. End}
If you keep up with that it'll eventually end up being you editing the entire book after GW sells you a $69 stapled pile of sheets. What happened to quality lying in the finest parts...

Haravikk
18-04-2012, 12:32
I'm surprised by this, as I would have thought with professional software they wouldn't need to be copy/pasting stat-lines around the book anyway, so updating one would update any others of the same type. This seems to suggest that they're making their books in the same software people are making hobby lists, and with less care and attention to detail :p

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 12:43
This seems to suggest that they're making their books in the same software people are making hobby lists, and with less care and attention to detail :p

I doubt most people are writing their army lists in an 800+ piece of software. If memory serves, the Design Studio use Adobe InDesign. In any case, for all the fancy software, you still need a warm body checking the details and making sure flubs don't make it into print, because trying to fix these sort of things after the fact is incredibly expensive. Especially when the books are printed on the other side of the world.

IcedCrow
18-04-2012, 12:47
If you keep up with that it'll eventually end up being you editing the entire book after GW sells you a $69 stapled pile of sheets. What happened to quality lying in the finest parts...

This is called hyperbole. As I've played since the 90s I've never had this happen ;) In fact the horse with M3 is not new. Check your older books. The horse with the wrong movement is in the summary sheets in 6th edition too (and I remember this conversation back in 2001)

Mistakes happen. I can pick up any number of gaming manuals I own and find them.

Urgat
18-04-2012, 13:11
I'm surprised by this, as I would have thought with professional software they wouldn't need to be copy/pasting stat-lines around the book anyway, so updating one would update any others of the same type.

They could do that, excepted it's as fast to just copy/paste. Damien, thanks god Indesign doesn't cost 800 pounds, I'd never been able to afford it otherwise (yeah, I bought it. I bought the whole Adobe Suite, in fact. Not denying it's expensive as hell, mind).

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 13:46
They could do that, excepted it's as fast to just copy/paste. Damien, thanks god Indesign doesn't cost 800 pounds, I'd never been able to afford it otherwise (yeah, I bought it. I bought the whole Adobe Suite, in fact. Not denying it's expensive as hell, mind).

Ah, you're right. It's a mere 650 with free upgrade to the next version. :p Well, from Amazon.

theunwantedbeing
18-04-2012, 13:58
With any luck GW will be suitable bad at answering this in an Errata and all Empire Horses will get those incorrect stats.

DaemonReign
18-04-2012, 14:05
I sort of agree with IcedCrow on this particular issue, since the M3 Warhorse is so obviously misprinted that we can all laugh together at it and move on.
I can't help wondering HOW it could be listed like that.. I mean: At what point was it M3? *haha* Usually when mistakes like that linger in a text it's because parameters have changed and you forgot they were mentioned on that specific page. Does this mean Cruddace was starting off with the 'working thesis' that Warhorses should be M3?

There are other blatant mistakes in this Empire book (which, it must be added, I truly fancy as far as the net-result is concerned still!):
Adding Steadfast to the list of Special Rules transferred from Regimentals to Detachments is a breath-taking catastrophy of rules-design that I suspect GW will never properly salvage.
The priest prayer Soulfire has gotten lost in the 'commas' and 'periods' as the S4 version of this prayer clearly isn't supposed to allow Armour Save (just like the S5 version) - knowing how GW writes stuff in general it's just sooo obvious what happened there.

Anyway, it is funny that GW obviously spends less time proof-reading their own material compared to your average fan-made codex-project. It's like they're going 'Why-so-serious?!'

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 14:18
I can't help wondering HOW it could be listed like that..

That presumably the sub-editor (Whose job it would be to check for things like this) took the 3 for an 8. Why the WS and BS are around the wrong way I do not know.

Though to be fair, most fan-made army books are long-term projects done in spare time. They're not made to strict deadlines which cannot be moved short of extraordinary circumstances. I sympathise with them, but as I said, it doesn't excuse the fact errors crept in.

IcedCrow
18-04-2012, 15:13
If they copy pasted from the old unit summary chart from older books, the M3 issue has been there before and it just keeps getting pasted into newer books.

Urgat
18-04-2012, 16:50
Ah, you're right. It's a mere 650 with free upgrade to the next version. :p Well, from Amazon.

Mmh, you're right. Guess it's a really bad idea to buy it on its own.

decker_cky
18-04-2012, 17:27
It's happened before and it will happen again. *shrugs*

Didn't grimgor have a stat that needed fixing in 6th edition too?

Confessor_Atol
18-04-2012, 18:32
I used liquid green stuff to fix mine!

Malorian
18-04-2012, 18:56
Meh... it seems odd, but if it's a copy and paste from before then I can understand.

Plus, really, when is the last time someone actually needed to look up the stats of their horse? I get the feeling that mistakes like this are caught by the people actively looking for mistakes rather than people reading the book for functional reasons.

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 19:06
I get the feeling that mistakes like this are caught by the people actively looking for mistakes rather than people reading the book for functional reasons.

In my case, I would say that's pretty much it. But I'm a proofreader. It's kind of what I do.

Malorian
18-04-2012, 19:12
In my case, I would say that's pretty much it. But I'm a proofreader. It's kind of what I do.

As part of document control it's also a big part of my job but I never think to myself, "Man that was a long day at work, what I really need to do is go home and proofread the new Empire book for mistakes."

You got the job as a proofreader because you like to pick things apart, you don't pick things apart because it's your job.

At least here on the fantasy side people are less likely to actually try and force it in a game. I remember the terminator armor mistake a few years ago and a good number of people actually planning to force it on their friends.

IcedCrow
18-04-2012, 19:43
As part of document control it's also a big part of my job but I never think to myself, "Man that was a long day at work, what I really need to do is go home and proofread the new Empire book for mistakes."

You got the job as a proofreader because you like to pick things apart, you don't pick things apart because it's your job.

At least here on the fantasy side people are less likely to actually try and force it in a game. I remember the terminator armor mistake a few years ago and a good number of people actually planning to force it on their friends.

We call those people douche bags. Friends don't let their friends become douche bags.

Confessor_Atol
18-04-2012, 19:50
I'd throw a smily in there ice-crow. Don't want to sound too harsh.....

Besides, GW is full of douche bags, and still they can't manage to edit their books.......

Torga_DW
18-04-2012, 20:11
My guess is they miss a column when copy/pasting, as it looks to me like the stats are all to the left one column of where they should be.

Sexiest_hero
19-04-2012, 19:24
No smiley needed needed for IcedCrow, he is rightpeople that do that are ********** and worse bullies. Bullying is rampant in 40k. I remember when Blood angel rhinos "didn't have doors" CSM terminators couldn't assault, and a host of other underhanded tricks. Its a control thing, over you, and your army, putting you into a unwinnable situation.

Urgat
19-04-2012, 20:25
What was that about chaos terminator armors preventing assault?

Sexiest_hero
19-04-2012, 21:17
They lack the right wording so that if they shot any of their rapid fire guns, they couldn't assault.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?250049-Chaos-Terminators-rapid-fire-weapons

Everybody knew it was an honest mistake, but people still enforce it at random tournies.

Leth Shyish'phak
20-04-2012, 16:13
Not as bad as Wave Serpents with a Front Armour of 2. :D