PDA

View Full Version : Games day 2012 - No model with tickets

snafflebug
18-04-2012, 10:12
Havnt seen this posted up yet so yell at me if it has.

Games day tickets will not come with the usual model but instead you will be required to queue at games day and pay 12 for the space marine captain model.

Nothing like 3 hour sales queues :)

EldarWolf
18-04-2012, 10:25
Yet another nail in the coffin...
Soon there will be no reason whatsoever to go to gamesday.

redben
18-04-2012, 11:01
Havnt seen this posted up yet so yell at me if it has.

It's been posted in the Games Day section of the forum - http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-Games-Day-Gaming-Events-and-Tournament-Forum

Damien 1427
18-04-2012, 11:35
I dunno if this has changed, but the last time I went you have to queue for the model anyway. 30 and then another 12 on top is a bit much, though. When you factor in petrol as well, I dunno if I can justify going. It would be the first time in over five years that I went as well.

SunTzu
18-04-2012, 11:43
Soon there will be no reason whatsoever to go to gamesday.

"Soon"? They even flatly refuse to talk about upcoming releases in the seminars nowadays. There's literally no reason to go, already.

BigBarryJazz
18-04-2012, 13:05
"Soon"? They even flatly refuse to talk about upcoming releases in the seminars nowadays. There's literally no reason to go, already.

I hear they have some kind of painting and modelling competition there.

6mmhero
18-04-2012, 13:31
I was all ready to buy my ticket and then found out that you have to pay on top for the model and also have to queue for it.
For me the price point is no just too high with the cost of getting there from the South coast.
I have heard that there will be "new" stuff on display and for sale like the good ole days.

SunTzu
18-04-2012, 16:35
I hear they have some kind of painting and modelling competition there.

...for which every year they find a new way of arranging the layout of the display cabinets so you have to elbow your way past a gaggle of smelly teenage boys, nine deep, just to get a slight glimpse of them. Then you realise you've ended up next to the "no-hope-at-all" cabinet so all the entries you can see wouldn't even win a local GW competition, never mind the international Golden Demon, so you have to repeat the process of elbowing people aside to reach the next cabinet over where the possible winners have been put. Repeat for twelve categories.

If you're a world-class painter (I'm not, sadly), it's worth entering. If you're in the 99.999% of people who don't have a chance of winning, but you just want to see the entries for inspiration... save yourself 30 and a drive to Birmingham, and wait for the photos to appear online (http://demonwinner.free.fr/).

librerian_samae
18-04-2012, 16:43
I remember when it was 20 for a ticket and an optional 10 for the model then they made the model purchase as standard so that bumped it up to 30 but at least you got the model, now they have the cheek to drop the model, still charge 30 AND then expect you to still shell out extra for the model, blargh that's stupid.

loveless
18-04-2012, 16:48
Well, on the US side they kept the price same, but made the model optional. Unfortunately you have to stand in line to buy the model the day of the event...and then pay Chicago sales tax. Ouch.

BigBarryJazz
18-04-2012, 23:42
...for which every year they find a new way of arranging the layout of the display cabinets so you have to elbow your way past a gaggle of smelly teenage boys, nine deep, just to get a slight glimpse of them. Then you realise you've ended up next to the "no-hope-at-all" cabinet so all the entries you can see wouldn't even win a local GW competition, never mind the international Golden Demon, so you have to repeat the process of elbowing people aside to reach the next cabinet over where the possible winners have been put. Repeat for twelve categories.

Good lord, they've made it worse? It was pretty terrible when I last went over a decade ago. What really made me sad about last years competition was the obvious favouritism of the new plastic characters. The sword winner was even the best entry by the guy who painted it.

Artinam
19-04-2012, 08:51
Went once and it was terrible. Back then you also had to go in line for the special model (in Germany).

The line to the Forgeworld stand was absurd. Some of my friends had order there, and after an hour waiting and still not beeing halfway I snapped and tried to find something fun to do (Which was a challenge in itself).

Spider-pope
19-04-2012, 09:31
I have to say this is very disappointing. I had planned on attending Gamesday this year but now i'm not sure i'll bother. It's not so much having to pay extra for the model - although that is frankly a kick in the teeth - but also the realisation that with this new scheme i'll be stuck in a queue for half the time i'm there to pick the damned thing up.

Deff Mekz
19-04-2012, 09:34
I wonder if this is down to ebay sellers just buying lots of tickets to get the model itself. Afterall the more people that actually go to Gamesday the more GW will get at the sales stands. (if you can actually get past the 3 mile queues before it closes :shifty:)

EmperorNorton
19-04-2012, 09:45
Afterall the more people that actually go to Gamesday the more GW will get at the sales stands. (if you can actually get past the 3 mile queues before it closes :shifty:)
Why would anybody buy anything there? They don't have special deals or limited offers beyond the Games Day model, do they?

DarthSte
19-04-2012, 09:56
Why would anybody buy anything there? They don't have special deals or limited offers beyond the Games Day model, do they?

I stopped spending when they stopped doing the Bodgit and Skarper (or whatever they called it) 5 mystery boxes. Last time I went I think I gave more money to the NEC than I did to GW.

Was tempted this year, but the model being extra has put me off. (Also, it looks like all of my Sunday's in September are booked elsewhere).

Deff Mekz
19-04-2012, 10:04
It depends, I know every now and then they pre-release some of the October releases at Games Day, and the FW stands are always choca block. :D

2ndCompanyVeterans
19-04-2012, 10:19
I have a feeling it will roll better in the sales stands this year after the big chief made a personal apology and said it would improve,

blackcherry
19-04-2012, 11:29
It was fun when I got in free as I was game demoing for our club (so we would take it in turns to demo and then go explore). I'm not sure I would pay 30 plus the extra for the model though.

Grimtuff
19-04-2012, 11:39
I have to say this is very disappointing. I had planned on attending Gamesday this year but now i'm not sure i'll bother. It's not so much having to pay extra for the model - although that is frankly a kick in the teeth - but also the realisation that with this new scheme i'll be stuck in a queue for half the time i'm there to pick the damned thing up.

Add in the fact it's Finecast too, so how many will you have to go through to get a good cast? ;)

Mini77
20-04-2012, 16:39
The available floor space has been expanded, so this is physically an even bigger show than last year. There's a huge 'Intense Gaming area', Golden Demon, Armies on Parade, authors from Black Library, guest seminars, the crew from Forge World, and a massive store zone. There's even a banner competition. The exclusive Games Day Blood Angels Captain will be available at the venue, and is included in the price of entry. It promises to be an incredible event.

This is from yesterday's blog re: the Aussie GD.

loveless
20-04-2012, 16:42
Add in the fact it's Finecast too, so how many will you have to go through to get a good cast? ;)

This is what I'm concerned about...will I be spending the first hour of the day looking for a sculpt that doesn't suck? Ugh.

Alex_H
20-04-2012, 18:55
This is from yesterday's blog re: the Aussie GD.

Seriously no offence to our Aussie gamers, as as we all know they are ripped off by GW left right and centre, but seriously how can they give it away free down-under (factoring in shipping costs etc) and then get us in the UK to pay 12.

It's one more nail in my GW coffin as far as I am concerned and I don't think it really have much more room before I am done.

loveless
20-04-2012, 19:19
Seriously no offence to our Aussie gamers, as as we all know they are ripped off by GW left right and centre, but seriously how can they give it away free down-under (factoring in shipping costs etc) and then get us in the UK to pay 12.

Well, I doubt it is being given away free - it's just a forced-on added cost most likely.

Who's all going to be there at the UK Games Day in terms of speakers/etc.? What events are being held? Where is it (venues can be expensive)?

Put everything in the same currency, then compare prices at each Games Day. I'm pretty sure the UK one is more expensive, but I'm also guessing there's more to do/see there than the international Games Day events.

Shamutanti
20-04-2012, 21:46
From what I've read, they're expanding the number of halls from what they had last year and the rent of it went up, so that's why the model was dropped from the ticket price. I was always under the impression that the ticket was designed to cover the hall anyway, because the 'money making' comes from the sales stands. I'll be going anyway - I've only ever flogged the GD model on ebay anyway (and all my mates were always the same).

BramGaunt
21-04-2012, 08:00
In Germany we have 2 kinds of tickets. The regular one (which noone buys) and the more expensive Megaticket, which includes the miniature and the shirt, also 1 hour earlier entry.

gutsmaka
21-04-2012, 08:31
wait, you can get a shirt in germany? god damn why dont we get that?

xxRavenxx
21-04-2012, 08:57

Human decency. Ever seen a 400lb man trying desperately to put on a medium shirt because it was all that was available?...

Hint: It lifts AND separates...

Scammel
21-04-2012, 09:33
I stopped spending when they stopped doing the Bodgit and Skarper (or whatever they called it) 5 mystery boxes.

Grabbit and Skarper. Damn those were fantastic, kinda like Warhammer Pokemon cards with all the people sat round and trading. They were pretty much the highlight for me.

El_Wacko01
21-04-2012, 09:45
In Germany we have 2 kinds of tickets. The regular one (which noone buys) and the more expensive Megaticket, which includes the miniature and the shirt, also 1 hour earlier entry.

Actually you could also get the ticket early, and get it at a reduced price. Of course this is what I did.

Jim30
21-04-2012, 21:52
Or you could have come to Salute today and hung out with over 10,000 UK gamers at the Excel centre, and had a great time chatting to a wide range of well known designers and sculpters about their plans - including Allesio, Rick Priestly, the Perry Twins and so on. No way I'd ever go to games day now after seeing just what proper wargames companies are like and how much better they treat their customers.

BramGaunt
22-04-2012, 13:25

This years shirt features the Ultramarine from the cover of the current 'dex and the line "Fear us, we are the Storm!" on the back. It's no big loss. Staffers are wearing it on saturdays.

Commissar Vaughn
25-04-2012, 00:59
Or you could have come to Salute today and hung out with over 10,000 UK gamers at the Excel centre, and had a great time chatting to a wide range of well known designers and sculpters about their plans - including Allesio, Rick Priestly, the Perry Twins and so on. No way I'd ever go to games day now after seeing just what proper wargames companies are like and how much better they treat their customers.

Alas I didnt get to go...but I fear your words fall on deaf ears: I went to GD once and came away thinking Id wasted a day and 30. A handful of games, a couple of displays, 5 trade stands all for the same company, which dont sell anything you cant get in the store you caught the bus from, and kids everywhere...

Triples etc are only a few quid to get in, and you get much better choice of trade stands trying to compete with each other for your money=BARGAINS! Plus a variety of games of many different types to watch and play.

I went to GD and came away disappointed. And then I went to Phalanx, Triples, Britcon, Gamecon, and in each case I staggered home weighed down by lead and plastic bought at daft discounts and trying to persuade everyone in earshot to play this new game Id been introduced too...

DarthSte
25-04-2012, 07:49
Alas I didnt get to go...but I fear your words fall on deaf ears: I went to GD once and came away thinking Id wasted a day and 30. A handful of games, a couple of displays, 5 trade stands all for the same company, which dont sell anything you cant get in the store you caught the bus from, and kids everywhere...

Triples etc are only a few quid to get in, and you get much better choice of trade stands trying to compete with each other for your money=BARGAINS! Plus a variety of games of many different types to watch and play.

I went to GD and came away disappointed. And then I went to Phalanx, Triples, Britcon, Gamecon, and in each case I staggered home weighed down by lead and plastic bought at daft discounts and trying to persuade everyone in earshot to play this new game Id been introduced too...

:yes: .

Blue Firefox
26-04-2012, 20:16
From what I've read, they're expanding the number of halls from what they had last year and the rent of it went up, so that's why the model was dropped from the ticket price. I was always under the impression that the ticket was designed to cover the hall anyway, because the 'money making' comes from the sales stands. I'll be going anyway - I've only ever flogged the GD model on ebay anyway (and all my mates were always the same).

I've heard the same. Also heard that they're dropping the seminars (White Dwarf, Forge World and Black Library). Apparently the justification is so that the Developers, Designers, Sculptors etc get to talk to more people on the stands rather than a few hundred in the seminars. Guess this sounds logical but last year the seminars made it for me, you got to hear what few others did, in an environment which prompted a bit of group discussion/interaction with the GW Staff. The Tony Cottrell led Forge World seminar was a masterclass in how to engage with your customers. Was going to go this year, now I'm having second thoughts.

tu33y
01-05-2012, 13:15
i am no shrinking violet but if it is anything like the Forge World day at lenton you will only get within ten yards of anything interesting if you are an obnoxious, pig ignorant [deleted] [deleted]-face.

and smell

eldargal
01-05-2012, 13:40
Where did you hear that? Because if it is true they may as well cancel Games Day. The seminars were the best thing there, especially when someone bothers to film it.

I've heard the same. Also heard that they're dropping the seminars (White Dwarf, Forge World and Black Library). Apparently the justification is so that the Developers, Designers, Sculptors etc get to talk to more people on the stands rather than a few hundred in the seminars. Guess this sounds logical but last year the seminars made it for me, you got to hear what few others did, in an environment which prompted a bit of group discussion/interaction with the GW Staff. The Tony Cottrell led Forge World seminar was a masterclass in how to engage with your customers. Was going to go this year, now I'm having second thoughts.

Rick_1138
01-05-2012, 14:31
Yeah i am pretty sure the seminars are no longer in existance, instead they have folk at the tables of FW, BL etc, that tell folk what they are up to etc...as far as i am led to believe anyway.

TBH though the seminars were always a waste of time in the last 5 years or so, it was always a first come first serve on tickets and it was a ridiculous que system where you didnt know what you were queing for. and the one seminar i did get to at an early games day i went to in about 2006 was a farce. Now with the rumour embargo, GW cant really say anything.

I just go to GD now for golden demon, and grab some FW and BL shinies i fancy, have a laugh, then sleep on bus home.

i am happy with this.

SunTzu
01-05-2012, 15:00
Where did you hear that? Because if it is true they may as well cancel Games Day. The seminars were the best thing there, especially when someone bothers to film it.

Not last year. The first thing they said at the start of last year's seminars was "we can't tell you about anything that's not out yet, so don't bother asking". That didn't really leave an awful lot to talk about ("where do you get your inspiration!?"), so the seminars were a complete waste of time... nothing was said you can't read already on "What's New Today" or even in White Dwarf (devoid of content as that is nowadays).

The difference between last year's seminars and no seminar at all really doesn't amount to much.

DarthSte
01-05-2012, 15:04
The last GD I went to - 2009 or 2010 - I went to the Forge World Seminar instead on the Warseer meet-up. Still have regret fueled nightmares about that. :cries:

Damien 1427
01-05-2012, 17:41
i am no shrinking violet but if it is anything like the Forge World day at lenton you will only get within ten yards of anything interesting if you are an obnoxious, pig ignorant [deleted] [deleted]-face.

and smell

Last year's FW Open Day wasn't too bad, but the layout this year (Which forced you into tight corners instead of being on the edges) was the real problem.

eldargal
02-05-2012, 06:13
I remember reading about that, the UK seminar was an absolute disaster because everyone kept asking questions they wouldn't et answers too. In contrast the Australian Games Day crowd actually asked questions about creative process and Finecast and whatnot which netted some interesting answers. So I still think the seminars are a good thing when people bother to make an effort.

Having said that it wouldn't kill GW to give a sneak peak a month advance on GD UK, just once a year.

Not last year. The first thing they said at the start of last year's seminars was "we can't tell you about anything that's not out yet, so don't bother asking". That didn't really leave an awful lot to talk about ("where do you get your inspiration!?"), so the seminars were a complete waste of time... nothing was said you can't read already on "What's New Today" or even in White Dwarf (devoid of content as that is nowadays).

The difference between last year's seminars and no seminar at all really doesn't amount to much.

Rick_1138
02-05-2012, 08:18
Having said that it wouldn't kill GW to give a sneak peak a month advance on GD UK, just once a year.

Thats not a bad idea, just a wee teaser about the next release, codex, rules edition, anything.

It shows a bit of fun and gets the gossip machine going again for the next sales bubble of an edition release.

Blue Firefox
03-05-2012, 12:55

From the local GW Store manager with whom I've a good relationship. He, not unreasonably, was reminding me about the opportunity to buy this years ticket. I asked why WD wasn't promoting the offer that the first 500 (or so) tickets sold would be able (if they wished) to get a WD Seminar ticket. This is when he confirmed that there'd be no WD seminar and confirmed that this also applied to the other seminars.

If you think back, or are able to browse through old WD's, you'll find that around this time last year the offer had come up in a couple of WD's in the usual promotional artical about GD, also mentioned were opportunities to attend BL and FW seminars. I've not seen anything in this year's WD's to suggest that these are being put on so I'd say that his intel is fairly accurate. Stand (and hope) to be corrected. And agree that they were the best thing about the whole event.

He also confirmed what others have said. GW recognise that the queues for the "Store" areas were horrendous have booked a bigger or additional hall, and have sacrificed the GD Model to partially compensate/pay for this. (Although he made a fair point that not everyone wants the Mini, I for one haven't touched last years Skaven Warlord.)

SunTzu
03-05-2012, 14:15
(Although he made a fair point that not everyone wants the Mini, I for one haven't touched last years Skaven Warlord.)

That's true. It's actually not unreasonable for the mini to be a separate purchase than the ticket; not everyone wants one. But that means the ticket this year is cheaper, right?

Oh wait.

2ndCompanyVeterans
03-05-2012, 14:47
The only issue with a sneak peak every month is that over the course of a year that is a sneak peak at every month. Which then defies the point behind the keep it secret. also it would be unfair to only have the UK have this privilege.

Mastodon
04-05-2012, 06:37
That's true. It's actually not unreasonable for the mini to be a separate purchase than the ticket; not everyone wants one. But that means the ticket this year is cheaper, right?

Oh wait.

Why would the ticket be cheaper if the event is bigger?

shelfunit.
04-05-2012, 06:57

Economy of scale maybe - if the event is bigger the additional ticket sales should cover the extra cost. How many kids normally turn out for GD?

paddyalexander
04-05-2012, 13:41

More space doesn't nessarily mean a bigger event. What are they adding to the event over last year to justify an increased price by the removal of the model. So far from what I've heard all you are getting extra is another que to waste your time in as well as an extra expense for the previously inclusive model. On top of that there is a reduction of events like seminars. So why should a customer have to pay extra for gwPLC to expand the floor space just to include more vender (ie: their own retail only) space?

Delicious Ron
05-05-2012, 00:18
I have never been to a GD, So I'm curious what's the main appeal with the event? Do they have sales/bargains?

Caiphas Cain
05-05-2012, 00:32
None at all.

superdupermatt
05-05-2012, 00:44
I love this year's model and as soon as I saw it I was planning to go to my first GD, but hearing the news that you have to pay for a ticket AND a model (where's in previous years the model was included in the ticket price) has put me off it completely. I'll just get my friend to pick up a model for me.

jack da greenskin
05-05-2012, 07:46
I have never been to a GD, So I'm curious what's the main appeal with the event? Do they have sales/bargains?

Awwww... That's so cute that you thought they would :p

Basically, GD is a large retail unit, and people pay, to turn up, and buy stuff. Really weird if you ask me. You can meet people from the studio, which I assume is the main appeal, but its not really that interesting IMO. Black library, forge world, and fantasy flight have previews of their upcoming stuff, and normally a few demos, which is good. Mainstream GW, dont offer anything like previews or sneak peeks.

I can't believe people pay for the privelidge of turning up. I came away from my first one, almost disgusted that its ran as a massive retail event, that I have to pay to attend.

xxRavenxx
05-05-2012, 17:26
Awwww... That's so cute that you thought they would :p

Basically, GD is a large retail unit, and people pay, to turn up, and buy stuff. Really weird if you ask me. You can meet people from the studio, which I assume is the main appeal, but its not really that interesting IMO. Black library, forge world, and fantasy flight have previews of their upcoming stuff, and normally a few demos, which is good. Mainstream GW, dont offer anything like previews or sneak peeks.

I can't believe people pay for the privelidge of turning up. I came away from my first one, almost disgusted that its ran as a massive retail event, that I have to pay to attend.

In fairness, I remember going when I was about 15, and being very excited by it all. Its like being told you're going to gaming disney land when you're young. By the time I was 18 though, I had absoloutely no interest in going again when I was offered a ticket. Its strange how much age tempers that excitement.

canberraguy
06-05-2012, 04:41

Don't see the logic myself. Far more info to far more people is passes on in a 1 hour seminar. They would be lucky to talk to 30 people in that time 1 on 1

boogle
06-05-2012, 08:43
Makes my decision to go the the BL Weekener even more justified, shame that i can't get the model through normal channels though

loveless
07-05-2012, 14:44

No. They do have some build-and-take tables you can get some terrain bits and model bits from (or they used to at least - I thought I saw they were still doing that - makes for a fun distraction and odd kitbashes). Towards the end of the day they may hurl old boxes of models into the crowd - I still remember ninja-grabbing a box of metal Ork nobs out of the air above my head one year...though admittedly those are still sitting in a box as I had little urge to assemble/paint them. But hey, the price was right! :p

Ebon
10-05-2012, 04:05
Alas I didn't get to go...but I fear your words fall on deaf ears: I went to GD once and came away thinking Id wasted a day and 30. A handful of games, a couple of displays, 5 trade stands all for the same company, which don't sell anything you cant get in the store you caught the bus from, and kids everywhere...

^ This. Last GD I went to was the same year that Dark Eldar debuted. While you were waiting outside, a harried redshirt distributed carrier bags with a program, a poster and a metal bolt pistol keyfob (same one they later gave away in the Skullz promotion). I went as part of a group of five and the main things I remember were that Deldar sprues were being given away, one to a customer, and a couple of friends managed to get a full unit each by trading coats and hats with the rest of us; metal Skavenslaves for sale about six months before they hit shops; screaming kidlets everywhere and convincing the mail order guys (back when they were called Trolls) to sell me a pile of those ball-and-socket attachments that the plastic Land Speeder had (which I used on everything on a flying base to prevent breaking the stems and only ran out recently). Pretty sure I spent more at the NEC bar than I did on GW products.

Also, I have to question how useful the seminars would be. Most of the interesting stuff they won't tell us (i.e. what's upcoming) and most of our complaints they'd be obligated to lie about (i.e. pretending Failcast was anything other than a naked money grab).