PDA

View Full Version : complete list of known space marine chapters.

Despoiler
29-04-2006, 15:16
whilst searching for inspiration for my DIY space marine chapter: The Iron Judges i came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters

just goes to show that Wiki has got everything.

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-04-2006, 15:23
NINE!

Nine Chapters are called "Angels *something*"! Can't GW be more original!

Note: There are exactly 100 Chapters on that page.

Despoiler
29-04-2006, 15:33
my peronal favourite has to be...

THE RAINBOW MARINES!!!

that has to be the most light hearted name for an army of 7 foot tall superhumans with rather large guns.

McMullet
29-04-2006, 15:50
The Rainbow Warriors are an old chapter from the Rogue Trader era when everyhting was a bit silly. They are contemporary with the infamous "Christmas Marines", though the latter were just a one-off joke whilst the Rainbow Warriors were a mainstream chapter.

Overlord Krycis
29-04-2006, 15:52
If they have only got 100 on that article then it isn't a complete list is it? Aren't there over 1000 Chapters?

Anvils Hammer
29-04-2006, 15:58
There are suposedly exactly 1000 chapters, but given the vaguarys of Imperial beuracracy, there could be anywhere from 900 to 1100 operating at anyone time. I doubt theres a specific, accurate list held anywhere.

Hlokk
29-04-2006, 16:05
Stealth marines arent on there, Gutted :(

McMullet
29-04-2006, 16:23
They are, you just can't see them! Ba dum.

Lord of Skulls
29-04-2006, 16:59
my peronal favourite has to be...

THE RAINBOW MARINES!!!

that has to be the most light hearted name for an army of 7 foot tall superhumans with rather large guns.

Actually when you think about it, "Space Marines" must be the most silly name of them all:rolleyes: (Along with Space Wolves, Space Orks and Space Dinosaurs. (Later to be known as nids.))

It's just that most 40k players are so used to hearing it that they don't realize it;)

Despoiler
29-04-2006, 17:04
If they have only got 100 on that article then it isn't a complete list is it? Aren't there over 1000 Chapters?

ah very true (afterall the Grey knights are chapter number 666), i should have said that the list is of the mainstream chapters.

on a side note aren't the Grey Warriors merely just a copy of the Grey Knights...

damz451
29-04-2006, 17:53
i was looking thru my 3rd edition sm codex and it makes mention of chapters that have been destroyed/missing/ no longer exists, i think theres nearly 100 sm chapters that have been wiped out for various reasons (quite a lot from inquisition stuff aswell)

the valedictors is pretty interesting, originally a founding legion but got changed >_>

McMullet
29-04-2006, 18:33
Heh, in Rogue Trader the Crimson Fists were an original legion, and (IIRC, feel free to contradict) the Ultrasmurfs were a successor of someone else...

Overlord Krycis
29-04-2006, 19:50
Heh, in Rogue Trader the Crimson Fists were an original legion, and (IIRC, feel free to contradict) the Ultrasmurfs were a successor of someone else...
Don't remember that anywhere, but then I've not been playing 40k for that long...

the valedictors is pretty interesting, originally a founding legion but got changed >_>
Really?! Thats quite interesting then...any other 'old' fluff that states the names of the other missing legion? And I don't mean the 'Sigmar in Space' stuff...:rolleyes:

Brother Othorio
29-04-2006, 20:36
that certainly isnt a complete list, it barely lists any chapters created for Insigneum Astartes or How To Paint Space Marines

Crimson Fists were one of the 12 chapters whose scheme was included in the RT rulebook, but that doesnt make them a legion (since it was set in m41 and it stated "here are 12 of the 1000 chapters") they did however have a mention in Space Marine 1st edition which was mostly set during the Heresy/Scouring.. however that could have been either a typo OR the scenario could have taken place after the 2nd founding (theres some debate as to whether the 2nd founding took place after or during the scouring)

boogle
29-04-2006, 22:54
try here too, for a few more: http://www.ironhands.com/chapters.htm also Steel Confessors need adding to that list

der_Kommissar
30-04-2006, 02:01
I never realized there were that many different chapters, or that GW apparently at one time bothered to come up with unique shoulder insignia for most of them...

*whines* I want more IG units!

Wolf Sgt Kirke
30-04-2006, 02:14
despoiler your sig gives me a headache, does this mean cambridge doesn't like me? by the way there is no complete list as chapters come and chapters go, as the "firehawks" prove as do the "legion of the damned" and numerous others.

Up to date is definetly a relative term:D