PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Sorcerer, legion and what not.

tant00l
18-04-2012, 21:09
Hello guys and gals.

I'm planning to create a Chaos SM force, based around a Sorceror. But my problem is that I do not know what gear to put on my sorceror (only that the terminator armour looks ace), what spells to give him, and last but not least which legion/warband that would fit well togheter with a sorcerer (I only know that WE is no go on psykers/sorcerers and that thousand sons are well know for their psykers). So this is where I need your help, what equipment should I get for my sorcerer and which legion/warband do you think would fit a sorceror of chaos and his companions?

-Regars tant00l :)

Avaron
19-04-2012, 05:32
Aside from the world eaters any band of chaos space marines may be led by a Sorcerer, who may be dedicated to any of the chaos gods save for khorn. as for gear and powers it really depends on what you want them to do, though right now most of there powers are sorta underwhellming and most people go with demon princes or chaos lords.

Orthodox
19-04-2012, 06:07
I only know that WE is no go on psykers/sorcerers and that thousand sons are well know for their psykers

The mark of Tzeentch is absolute worst for sorcerors, because it is so expensive and only allows them to spend more points on a second power.

Slaanesh has a powerful spell and is nominally ok for killing enemy characters. Nurgle is mostly just cool points.

Really though, don't take a tzeentch sorceror.

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-04-2012, 06:56
There are not really answers to your questions. Your sorcerer could be from any legion or warband you would like him to be from. Outside of the World Eaters it would fit anyone if you wanted it to. And as for equipment and powers, well, depends on what you want him to do.

blurrymadness
19-04-2012, 08:40
Make a World Eaters Sorceror, give him MoN just to be safe. Then Gift of Chaos, Breath of Chaos, Familiar, Palaquin of Nurgle, Meltabombs, Combi-melta, .....

er.

Take a sorceror with whatever power you actually like, avoid the marks, avoid upgrades for the most part. A termie sorc isn't terrible if you give him a few buddies. You might consider using cheap or personal icons on some units so you can accurately teleport a group of termies in or sometihng. Meh; Build what loosk awesome for now and ask again in a couple months I say

Latro_
19-04-2012, 09:10
I'v found the best sorcerer is actually a chaos lord! hear me out!

Mark of Tzeentch and a daemon weapon. Not that expensive really and the daemon weapon gives you 24" d6 s4 ap3 shots (represents the sorcererorory power) and d6 power weapon attacks in combat all with lords stats and a nice 4++ save to boot. Yes rolling a 1 is bad but chalk that up to representing perils of the warp :D.

I'v used this guy to a fair bit of success actually, he works well mid-field and then as a counter attacker against enemy assaults.

Just think, you roll a 6 and you have the equivalent of 6 thousand sons firing at range but hittin on 2's! If you have some more pts you could event put him on a disc of tzeentch and have a potential fast moving 11 attacks on the charge

Any legion bar world eaters (even then you could work out some crazy fluff) could be lead by a sorcerer.

DeviantApostle
19-04-2012, 09:42
Tzeench Sorcerer doesn't have to take a second power. After the Warptime nerf, the best Tzeench Sorcerer has Gift of Chaos... which isn't a great recommendation. Unless you want to cough up the points for Ahriman... joke, joke.

Mark of Slaanesh + Lash of Slaanesh is best. Pop him in a Rhino, go to town.

Ace Rimmer
19-04-2012, 18:15
I've got to say, I'm with Latro_. A Lord with Deathscreamer would be my preferred option.

tant00l
19-04-2012, 19:52
Hmm, would you give the Lord a terminator armor to go with the Deathscreamer?

Ace Rimmer
19-04-2012, 20:02
I'd take the terminator option mostly for the aesthetics, but it's your army, take whatever makes you happy.

I run a mono-slaanesh noise marine heavy CSM army, mostly because it's too damned pretty to let sit in a case. I don't expect to table opponents with it, but it can usually hold it's own against most comers.

I'm planning a new mono-khorne army if I can be bothered to strip the paint of my existing one as I ebay'd most of the unit's pre-painted badly. Well, apart from the mono-pose 'zerker's I painted badly in the mid 90's ;)

tant00l
19-04-2012, 20:07
I think my lord will be wearing a termi armor, just to look pretty while he slaughters Dark Angels :)

Charistoph
19-04-2012, 22:15
Hmm, would you give the Lord a terminator armor to go with the Deathscreamer?

If you have other Terminators, and/or running a Land Raider,it's a good choice. But if all you have are Rhinos...

tant00l
20-04-2012, 05:40
I have neither. Actually I got nothing yet..

Latro_
20-04-2012, 09:10
If you'v got nothing yet then grab your self:

2 rhinos and a 2 boxes of normal CSM, put everything together and paint other than any special, heavy or squad leaders. If ya anything like me this'll at least take you a month or two.

By that time you'll have the basics of an army and the new chaos space marine codex should be hitting us, or very close to coming out. You'll then be in a good position to decide where to go next.

Denny
20-04-2012, 14:12
If you'v got nothing yet then grab your self:

2 rhinos and a 2 boxes of normal CSM, put everything together and paint other than any special, heavy or squad leaders. If ya anything like me this'll at least take you a month or two.

By that time you'll have the basics of an army and the new chaos space marine codex should be hitting us, or very close to coming out. You'll then be in a good position to decide where to go next.

This man speaks the truth. With a new release in the works your best bet is filling out your basic troops.
You can then build on the army once the new codex is out; the rules on sorcerers may well have changed drastically by then.

AlphariusOmegon20
20-04-2012, 14:51
Wait, what? :wtf:

I've killed more tanks with Bolt of Change than I care to count, and Doombolt gives a sorc a TS bolter. You're multi-funtional at that point, between those two powers. Add in your Force Weapon and you've got a nasty combo there.

You have to take MoT to make the combo though.

Taking the familiar gives you access to the Wind of Chaos power beyond that. Nothing hides from you after that.

tant00l
20-04-2012, 19:37
Thanks for all the advice so far people.
I just bought a termi lord today just to get my painting going. And il buy some marines and rihnos + some more later on :D
now I just need to decide on a legion..

DeviantApostle
21-04-2012, 11:57
Wait, what? :wtf:

I've killed more tanks with Bolt of Change than I care to count, and Doombolt gives a sorc a TS bolter. You're multi-funtional at that point, between those two powers. Add in your Force Weapon and you've got a nasty combo there.

You have to take MoT to make the combo though.

Taking the familiar gives you access to the Wind of Chaos power beyond that. Nothing hides from you after that.

My issue with these sorts of multi-power builds is sinking 200+ points into 1 infantry model with marine T. 1 model that can also kill itself without any help from the enemy. Bolt can't do much a Meltagun or Lascannon can't do better or for less points. Most of the powers don't take advantage of MoTz's 2 powers per turn rule.

The Force Weapon can also be a bit of a trap now that Warptime's been nerfed because of directed attacks. Sure, you can assault a monstrous creature or character to ID it but most of those things are better at killing sorcerers than the sorcerers are at killing them. Unlike GK, you don't get the I buff of halbards to make sure you go first. And then you can still fail the Ld check or the other guy can be Eternal Warrior.