PDA

View Full Version : Farsight Army - practical?

Mahes
29-04-2006, 16:37
Hi guys

Living in the back of beyond I have yet to have a really good look through the new Tau codex....indeed pretty much all the info I have got is from these very forums.

With this in mind I was wondering if you could provide me with some opinions and advise.

I started painting up some Tau models late last year, just for fun, to add to me pretty random mix of minis. I have just been a model collector and painter for a few years now and havent actually played a full scale game of 40k since the 2nd edition.

However, given the number of tau models I now have I thought I might give an army a bash. Having read a bunch of fluff and chosen dark red for the colour scheme I thought I would look into a Farsight Army...however on other forums and from other players it seems to get some less than favorable press.....so I thought I would ask the chaps in the know....thats you btw;)

Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

ArtificerArmour
29-04-2006, 16:53
Don't really see what's up with them, to be honest.

Advantages:
Bonded, better in close combat.
A squad of upto 7 battlesuits and farsight.

disadvantages

cant take any kroot/vespids, limited numbers in squads.

There's no real disadvantage, i hardly know anyone who takes more than one hammerhead/stealth suit squad/broadside squads.

Mahes
29-04-2006, 17:02
What about some of the newer squads, like piranhas and sniper drones?

Also, is the cc bonus worth it? I mean the Tau, even with the bonus, are not really meant for the up close and ugly stuff are the?

xibo
29-04-2006, 17:10
Greetings, potencial ally

Commander O'Shovah's battleforce suffers the renegade rule, which sais you have no access to kroot, vespid, dronesquads or ethereals. For more both Crisis AND FireWarrior Squads are 1+ for him... all other units get 0-1 choices.

But he also has advantages over 'loyal' tau armies:
- The Commander Bodyguard is increased in size to 1-7 Crisis, but however noone seems to know if Commander Shovah counts as commander ( theres another thread about that ).
- Ork hunter rule which was much better in the old Codex, but if you are playing against Orks you will be lucky to have ALL of your units hit ANY ork on 3+ in CC.
- All your teams are bonded without extra costs

I don't see much disadvantages here ( a second broadside squad would be cool, but i cant get everything :D ), since you can replace the kroots with gue'vesa which are cheaper and have better saves ( and the positibility to be led by a commander, while he cannot lead kroot troops ), and normaly dont field more than one of the same unit ( firewarriors and crisis excepted, of cause ).

Mahes
29-04-2006, 17:23
ok, so the new fast attack options are available, but only as a 0-1 choice....cool!

Well I think you can count me as an ally....I will onto the GW site to order some bits. I should start with some more FWs...However like the true modeling fanatic that I am I want to start with the Commander!

I have a nice Forge World model that could do with some conversion...hmmmm

Anyway, thanks for the advise, especially about the human aux's....that is good news, especially as I get do some nice conversions!

Thanks again, and if there is any other advise you can offer let me know...its always welcome.

I will get hold of the codex, so no more questions from that perspective!

yodasluck
29-04-2006, 17:26
This might not be the right forum for this question, but I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on this.

Are gun drone squads not allowed for Farsight armies? The old codex allowed for 0-1 GD Squad, but it isn't explicitly clear in the new codex. It isn't explicitly removed as an option (and if it's allowed, it could fill the 3rd FA slot with Piranhas and Pathfinders).

I'll admit, I haven't searched hard for the answer, and this thread was an opportunity to ask. Thanks.

Sephiroth
29-04-2006, 17:34
Are gun drone squads not allowed for Farsight armies? The old codex allowed for 0-1 GD Squad, but it isn't explicitly clear in the new codex. It isn't explicitly removed as an option (and if it's allowed, it could fill the 3rd FA slot with Piranhas and Pathfinders).

Actually, in the old rules, Gun Drone Squadrons were listed, along with Kroot and Ethereals as not availible to Farsight forces.

However, you can get Gun/shield Drones bought for Battlesuit/Fire Warrior teams.

Looking at the new 'dex, the Gun Drone Squadrons aren't mentioned and thus, unless an errata comes out, fully availible to Farsight now.

xibo
29-04-2006, 17:36
This might not be the right forum for this question, but I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on this.

I'll admit, I haven't searched hard for the answer, and this thread was an opportunity to ask. Thanks.
You may not. I once played with controlled drones at the local GW and it brought one of the personell to make a call to the GW rules hotline and ask if controlled gundrones are alowed... they are, but drone-only squads arent.

Chem-Dog
29-04-2006, 17:57
The Farsight Enclave seem to me to work fine, they're heavy on Battle suits/firewarriors light on everything else and I've seen plenty of people play armies like this without the Farsight rules.

Orkfighters is now just the Prefered enemy USR, so while it's probably not advisable to attack a large mob it's a little bit more bearable when that ork charge finally hits home.

Mahes
29-04-2006, 17:58
I seem to have opened up a whole can of worms here....nothing like a good debate!

Ironically I am not all that interested in gun drones, I am more keen to make sure I can take sniper drones and Piranhas, although all info is useful.

Thanks again everyone, I am sure I will be dropping in periodically to get some more ideas

xibo
29-04-2006, 18:20
FOR VIOR'LA!
http://home.arcor.de/alonsoschaich/pics/warhammer/thumbs/oshova_1.png http://home.arcor.de/alonsoschaich/pics/warhammer/thumbs/oshova_2.png http://home.arcor.de/alonsoschaich/pics/warhammer/thumbs/oshova_3.png

... Well he doesnt have a missile pod... but it looked so empty ;D