PDA

View Full Version : WoC vs steamtank @ 1000pts

Zorlax7
24-04-2012, 16:27
I know there is one in my meta and wanted to know what options I had to kill it.

Was thinking Glaive of Put., hellcannon, or Knights with lances in its flank.

Am I missing anything or am I over thinking this one unit?

Akkaryn
24-04-2012, 18:25
Steam Tank is quite harsh in 1k games at least the old one (I haven't played the new one so can't comment).

As it's only T6 now a unit of Khorne Warriors with Halberds will generally tear it a new one. Or a big massive block of Marauders with GW

Tayrod
24-04-2012, 20:11
Or a big massive block of Marauders with GW

The Stank has a pretty small footprint. Im not really sure the marauders will dent it.

Morax
24-04-2012, 20:45
Exalted Champion with greatweapon. Hits on 3's, wounds on 3's with a -4 to the 1+ save of the tank. Make sure you put him in a unit to prevent him getting ground down and you shouldn't have too hard of a job killing it.

Efrovius
24-04-2012, 21:08
Steam Tank is quite harsh in 1k games at least the old one (I haven't played the new one so can't comment).

As it's only T6 now a unit of Khorne Warriors with Halberds will generally tear it a new one. Or a big massive block of Marauders with GW

Before the newest book came out, I am 99% sure that Errata changed the Steam Tank to T10. But I'm 98% sure it's a 300 point Rare (fluff says there were only 8 created) choice, so it's illegal in a 1K game (250 point cap for Rare). 90% sure if you are in base contact with it you hit automatically but wounding a T10 1+ A Save abomination could be well out of the capabilities of even a MoK Marauder. It is suseptible to Magic though. That may be a way to cause it heartburn. But I have not seen the new book yet so don't know what has happened to it.

Count Zero
24-04-2012, 21:09
thats the old stank rules, the new is 250pts and T6.

Efrovius
24-04-2012, 21:14
Ah. Well that would do it. Is it still suseptible to magic?

purge the daemon
24-04-2012, 22:28
Actually never hit it with low save.models the other day I saw one grind and pour steam on 10 chaos knights who did a single wound to it.

logan054
24-04-2012, 22:39
Dragon ogres with great weapons, you could actually get yourself a unit of 6 at that points level, min core and a sorcerer and your away really, 18 S7 attacks should do the job :)

Enigmatik1
24-04-2012, 22:50
Love tap it with the Glaive of Putrefaction. Fight filth with grime, I always say.

Evil Hypnotist
24-04-2012, 22:51
As the OP mentioned, Ex. Hero, Glaive of Putrefication and Potion of Strength at that points cost. Or throw Festus in with a halberd unit for poisoned attacks.

Zorlax7
24-04-2012, 23:23
Thanks all for the responses! Will playtest them this week!

Dreadlordpaul
25-04-2012, 07:29
Take a nurgle sorceror whos level 2 with spell familiar and pray for spell 4

Darnok
25-04-2012, 09:28
My first thought was: "a steamtank at that points sounds rude". So you may talk to the guy using it and possibly find a less WAAC solution.

Then it dawned to me that all the other rare choices are not being fielded, and you have to worry about one single model making up a quarter of that army only. I say: work with that. A properly equipped character should still be able to handle that thing (see other posts) and you have the option to have the numerical advantage on your side. which is a rare thing for WoC I think.

pray

You're aware that this is far away from sound tactical advice? :eyebrows:

jtrowell
25-04-2012, 13:48
Well, at least, if he take a steam tank, he won't be able to cripple your units with one or two hellblasters (with or without an engineer).

Zorlax7
25-04-2012, 15:08
My first thought was: "a steamtank at that points sounds ruded". So you may talk to the guy using it and possibly find a less WAAC solution.

Then it dawned to me that all the other rare choices are not being fielded, and you have to worry about one single model making up a quarter of that army only. I say: work with that. A properly equipped character should still be able to handle that thing (see other posts) and you have the option to have the numerical advantage on your side. which is a rare thing for WoC I think.

You're aware that this is far away from sound tactical advice? :eyebrows:

Roger that. I thought the same thing. This is a league, and the player is a 12 year old kid who told me he was going to play it.

Thanks again alll for the advice, feeling much more confidant now.

Zorlax7
25-04-2012, 15:08
double post

Tuttivillus
25-04-2012, 15:15
Yeah, he will cripple them with impact hits! :D
No, seriously chaos has many high S attacks, but be sure to get to fight before him. STanks are most dangerous in charge. ChKnights or dragon ogres should be fine.

decker_cky
25-04-2012, 20:45
Unless you take something like dragon ogres, it's pretty tough to do too much to it with chaos in that points size. Khorne marauders with GW do 1-1.25 wounds on the first round then will lose frenzy. Khorne warriors with halberds do roughly the same (1.5 in a horde).

Pit of shades or purple sun can 1 shot it on a failed initiative test.

Gateway stands a good chance of punching a hole in it.

Lore of metal would probably be the best answer to it.

Direct shot from hellcannon would be handy too.

Kiras of the flame
25-04-2012, 22:28
the best sure way is lore of metal...

thing is beastly and it'll draw enough attention away so you end up on the blunt end of an empire attack. if you ignore it it'll kill you... HORRIBLY...

try to whittle it down though, if you do enough damage to it, it'll start to destroy itself (via Steam points rule) and you can move on to more glorious slaughter.

chaospantz
26-04-2012, 07:44
Some knights w/lance or even some warriors w/halbred or greatweapons should do the trick. If anything you should be happy that he's bringing a Stank. Could have been a lot worse if he brought a pair of Hellblasters and an engineer.

Evil Hypnotist
26-04-2012, 07:46
the best sure way is lore of metal...

WoC sorcerers do not have this as an option unfortunately. To be honest I thought about suggesting magic but the maximum number of spells you could manage at 1000 points is 4 (Lvl 3 Sorc. Lord @235points + Spell Familiar @15points) unless someone knows another way? Unfortunately you are not guarenteed to get the specific spell you need (such as Pit or Purple Sun), which means you have put a lot of points into a wizard who then cannot do the job he was bought for. At this points level such a points sink in one model is very risky, much better to put your points in a roadblock of troops or a cheaper anti-steam tank hero like I suggested earlier.