PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf rumours

akenatum
25-04-2012, 02:57
Hello guys, I'm new here as you all can see, I want to start this off by saying I live in aus and am quite far from any point of solid rumors contention...

That said a friend of mine has had a track record of about 60% on his rumours and was just wondering if others have heard anything in this vein regarding dwarves.

The 3 things he has told me about dwarves where new plastic iron breakers bear cavalry and a dwarven airship I was just wondering if the rumour mongers here have heard anything similar.

Thurizdan
25-04-2012, 04:04
Bear cavalry? Nothing personal, but I don't believe you/him in the slightest. That would go against the background and art direction of the dwarves in a big way.

wyvirn
25-04-2012, 04:09
Please don't ask questions in the rumor forum, it gets people (like myself) excited about nothing. Next time ask it in the general chat if there is no relevent thread open.
But to answer your question, the dwarf airship is in the BRB, the dwarf cavalry has been talked about for years, and dwarfs still have almost all of their useful special choices in metal. So no, there is nothing confirmed, but all three are speculated on.
Also, welcome to the site.

Hochdorf
25-04-2012, 04:42
Welcome to the site!

If you like the idea of Dwarven bear cavalry, you may wish to check out Scibor's stuff.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=75

Urgat
25-04-2012, 07:37
You must be mistaken Hochdorf, Scibor sells beaver cavalry. Those damn typos, heh? :D

javgoro
25-04-2012, 08:16
This sounds like repeat rumours from some of the older stuff we've heard on the site on Dwarfs before. Still, thanks for sharing and welcome to Warseer.

silverstu
25-04-2012, 08:27
Thanks for sharing- I'm not sure we've heard what might be coming for dwarves - there has just been lots of informed speculation [apologies to rumour posters if I have missed anything]. Elites are expected to get the plastic treatment, an airship has been mentioned- bear cavalry is new one I think- mentioned only as wish listing. animated rune golems was the other rumour.
Welcome to warseer!

Thénon
25-04-2012, 10:03
Well before i saw the pic for empire i was being told they were getting some wierd college of engineering version of monstrous cavalry.

Its really up to what GW want to do to individualise the army, persoannaly i would love to see more "ranger" themed units like bear cavalry.

Darnok
25-04-2012, 10:45
Plastic Ironbreakers ... natural assumption, as these are pretty much guaranteed to get a new incarnation in plastic.

Airship ... has been rumoured multiple times since... forever I think. More solid rumours have recently surfaced concerning the next WF book - which would rule out a GE release for the new armybook.

Bear cavalry ... laughable at best, sorry to say. The concept goes straight against all that GW Dwarfs have been so far. Sounds a bit like somebody has other manufacturers versions of these (most prominently the Scibor ones) and thaught that GW might jump on the train too.

All in all I don't buy these rumours at all. But I'll wait and see wether something more comes out here...

eldargal
25-04-2012, 11:05
Plastic Slayers.

Daniel36
25-04-2012, 11:18
From what we've heard, or at least that's what I gleaned from several posts, is that the Dwarfs are going to be 8th edition's Wood Elves in terms of dramatic changes to their whole range, especially in aesthetics.

I don't have any solid rumours of course and I can't remember where exactly I found this "info", but from what I've heard they're heading for a very steampunk-ish look in their new iteration, which I would find very exciting.

But it could also have been wishlisting from someone.

Erikjust
25-04-2012, 11:36
As long as the Dwarfs donīt get the Necron treatment in fluff iīm happy.

javgoro
25-04-2012, 11:54
From what we've heard, or at least that's what I gleaned from several posts, is that the Dwarfs are going to be 8th edition's Wood Elves in terms of dramatic changes to their whole range, especially in aesthetics.

I don't have any solid rumours of course and I can't remember where exactly I found this "info", but from what I've heard they're heading for a very steampunk-ish look in their new iteration, which I would find very exciting.

But it could also have been wishlisting from someone.

Steampunkish would make sense (and make Dwarfs more advanced than Empire, as they should be)... But on the other hand I think it'd kill any interest I might still have for them. That said, what reason would there be for a reimagining of the whole line? With WE's, it made sense (lots of minis to update, a more defined identity than simply "high elves from the forest"... But dwarfs don't really need a different look to make them apart from the other armies. I am not discounting this rumour, mind, just trying to figure out a reason for it.

Kaapeli
25-04-2012, 11:59

If there ever is a zeppelin or some other new centerpiece warmachine for dwarfs it will propably be quite steampunk and perhaps inspired by the FW chaos dwarf range.

Doub the core will get any radical changes. New plastics for at least hammerers and longbeards are highly likely considering their very aged models but high popularity.

Sourscowl
25-04-2012, 12:33
I think plastic kit to make dwarf clansmen/chaos dwarfs would be feasable?

javgoro
25-04-2012, 12:37
I think plastic kit to make dwarf clansmen/chaos dwarfs would be feasable?

I see no reason to mix chaos dwarfs with dwarfs, for several reasons. It cuts into FW's pie, they have very different and distinct aesthetics, and CD isn't really an officially supported army by GW.

Daniel36
25-04-2012, 12:47
That said, what reason would there be for a reimagining of the whole line? With WE's, it made sense (lots of minis to update, a more defined identity than simply "high elves from the forest"... But dwarfs don't really need a different look to make them apart from the other armies.

While they wouldn't need a reimagining to make them different from other armies (they're short...), that's probably not the reason why they would be reimaged (if they would be, that is)...

Rather, think of it this way. Even the Empire isn't just "Humans from this and that era", they are "Warhammer Humans". You can put Perry miniatures in an Empire army but you can't put an Empire unit on the table of a Historical battle.

I think Dwarfs would get a reimaging to make them not just Dwarfs, but Warhammer Dwarfs. Right now, they are just Dwarfs, and let's face it, pretty ugly models by today's standards. And Wood Elves weren't just High Elves from the Forest. They had their own look, but their look was outdated, as is the look of the Dwarfs now... At least, that's what I think. I think their models are extremely bland, and the different options all look alike to me, a non-Dwarf player. I can take one glance and tell apart a State Trooper from a Flagellant. For Dwarfs, the difference are more subtle, which is fine, but I feel they are a bit too subtle.

So there's really three reasons I can think of to give them a complete overhaul.
1 - Update the rather old looking minis
2 - Make them stand apart from your stereotypical Dwarf
3 - More explicit differences between the different options

Mr. Ultra
25-04-2012, 12:53

Oooooh please if this means we can say farewell to the horrid plastic infantry I'm totally on it! Pleasepleasepleaseplease!!

Miredorf
25-04-2012, 13:00
4 - Make them another retarded looking army full of wacky cars (someone else has to build them to be a trully wacky cars race, anyway).

Summarizing.. I hope they dont change dwarves like that :P

Avian
25-04-2012, 13:08
Oooooh please if this means we can say farewell to the horrid plastic infantry I'm totally on it! Pleasepleasepleaseplease!!
Dwarfs need so many brand NEW plastic infantry kits (and infantry don't appear to be a priority by GW to begin with) that I think it's safe to say that all the existing ones will stay for many years to come.

Mr. Ultra
25-04-2012, 13:19
Dwarfs need so many brand NEW plastic infantry kits (and infantry don't appear to be a priority by GW to begin with) that I think it's safe to say that all the existing ones will stay for many years to come.

Maybe. Or maybe they revamp the entire range ā la Wood Elf or Dark Eldar. Trends changes, and a man can dream. A man can dream...

azhagmorglum
25-04-2012, 13:26
Well concerning those supposedly bear cavalry and people saying that it would go against all GW dwarves stand for, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd introduced the concept in the next armybook, because you know, every army needs shiny new stuff (monstrous cavalry and big plastic monster/contraption) and to hell the fluff...

Anyway, I haven't personally heard or seen anything, just random babbling/ranting here...

Hochdorf
25-04-2012, 14:44
As has been discussed before in other threads, a big issue for the Dwarfs is that they are currently an army caught between two radically different aesthetics.

1. "Steampunk" - warmachines, gyrocopters, thunderers, engineers, etc.
2. "Viking" - slayers, anvil of doom, longbeards, clansmen, etc.

It makes the army look a little all-over-the-place. I know some people don't mind it, but I personally find it hard to theme an army that contains both tattooed axe-wielding berserkers and helicopters. Other units are aesthetically caught in between... guys with muskets, wearing chainmail, and with horned "Viking" helmets just look wrong to me. (Before some pedant points it out, yes, I know Vikings didn't wear horned helmets in real life.)

Anyway, I think this is the core thematic issue that they will have to resolve with Dwarfs. Personally, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if they split them into two armies: Steampunk Dwarfs and Norse Dwarfs. I don't see it happening though.

Worst thing they could do in my opinion is just add in new units that make them even more thematically scattered (e.g. some kind of ridiculous steam-powered car with an anvil of doom on it or something).

Nocculum
25-04-2012, 15:06
I hope the ironbreakers arn't redone, they're some of the best (if monopose) models in the range.

Voss
25-04-2012, 15:10
Well concerning those supposedly bear cavalry and people saying that it would go against all GW dwarves stand for, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd introduced the concept in the next armybook, because you know, every army needs shiny new stuff (monstrous cavalry and big plastic monster/contraption) and to hell the fluff...

Anyway, I haven't personally heard or seen anything, just random babbling/ranting here...
No, I completely understand where you are coming from. After giant spiders, snake-surfers, giant cat cav, giant ghouls/flying MI vampires, and demigryff cav; bear cavalry for dwarves doesn't seem laughable at all. If anything, it seems _too normal_.

jtrowell
25-04-2012, 16:36
One reason against a bear cavalry: other compagnies already make such a product.

If GW wants to make a new MC unit for Dwarves, they will make sure that it is something new to preserve their monopoly.

Lord Dan
25-04-2012, 16:43
Plastic Slayers.
I can actually confirm this. I also heard "not this year", for those curious.

Jericho
25-04-2012, 16:52
The Imperial Dwarfs vs. Norse Dwarfs divide has existed for decades. I think the artwork in the current book unifies it to some extent, but the divide goes back many editions and I'm not entirely sure it's something they would even want to rectify.

If they are going to move the Dwarfs forward at all in the book, I expect it would be to play up the difference between the old school traditionalist Dwarfs and the occasional radical Engineers. I see the Imperial style dwarfs taking after the Empire and being a bit more steampunkish, while the old school ones keep the funny hats with the horns.

Thimgrim-az-azgal
25-04-2012, 16:55
One reason against a bear cavalry: other compagnies already make such a product.

If GW wants to make a new MC unit for Dwarves, they will make sure that it is something new to preserve their monopoly.

To preserve their monopoly... not untrue, thus you just might as well rule out the steampunkish dwarves... Rackham has (and Legacy Miniature will) been doing a fine job a few years back..

Eldorad
25-04-2012, 17:17
Regarding the Dwarf Airship - as Darnok noted earlier in the thread: see the Forgeworld open day thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?337588-Forgeworld-2012-Open-Day-Fantasy/page4).

Regarding completely re-thinking the Dwarf range - I think I can quote Harry from the last Dwarf rumour thread in saying that the Dwarf range does need a re-think which is why we won't expect them anytime soon.

[Tried searching for this post... why in the search function does ticking "posts" not give you posts as a result instead of threads!?]

Beastlord
25-04-2012, 17:38
I don't think GW are too concerned about making new stuff that doesn't fit in to old fluff - in my opinion Empire having monstrous cavalry was pretty wide of their established theme. Gw seem more concerned with making armies more homogenous - everyone must have MC/MI, huge monsters, warmachines etc. Not necessarily a terrible move but not one I'm a fan of.

thrawn
25-04-2012, 17:56

avians right about that!

more likely we'll see some giant chairot/monster/monstrous cavalry/monstrous infantry before we see plastic infantry (that is not a rumour, just a generalisation based on what's been done so far). i hope i'm wrong!

if they come out with some epic release, like all new plastic infantry, plus some montrous infantry (think steam punk dreadnoughts) that'd be too cool for school and i might have to start yet another army . . .

Razakel
25-04-2012, 17:57
I don't think GW are too concerned about making new stuff that doesn't fit in to old fluff - in my opinion Empire having monstrous cavalry was pretty wide of their established theme. Gw seem more concerned with making armies more homogenous - everyone must have MC/MI, huge monsters, warmachines etc. Not necessarily a terrible move but not one I'm a fan of.

Yes, I agree with you completely. But my standpoint on it is that if you aren't going to give us (Dwarves) cavalry or monsters, then you MUST give us infantry units that can fill the roles intended for cav or monsters. I'm not saying give us infantry that can march 14", but if the army is going to remain competitive in the 8th edition monster mash, we need new tools. Give slayers some new cute options for taking down monsters (possibly monstrous infantry / cav), expand on miners and rangers, give them new abilities so we can cope.

TL;DR, give Dwarves monsters and monstrous cav, or give us units that can fill the roles they're intended for.

Bylak
25-04-2012, 18:10
I really dislike the idea of Dwarf bear cavalry. Death Roller cav units on the other hand . . .

scarletsquig
25-04-2012, 18:14
I can definitely see monstrous inf/cav and a big dual-duty mechanical war engine making an appearance, seems to be what every 8th edition release is getting,without exception.

Ouroborus
25-04-2012, 20:33
I really, REALLY hope they don't get too steampunk...

Also, I hope they have options...I would like to see a Dwarf army be feasible without any war machines.

Mirbeau
25-04-2012, 20:48
Don't forget, a huge big catapult!

Avian
25-04-2012, 21:52
I really, REALLY hope they don't get too steampunk...

Also, I hope they have options...I would like to see a Dwarf army be feasible without any war machines.
Well, currently that would mean nothing but infantry and the odd unique unit. Presumably then you'd be hoping for some sort of unit-buffer, like the new Empire Wizard Wagons (the old Anvil used to have wheels). Given the current trend of 4 plastic boxes, I'd be expecting two infantry (ex: slayers and hammerers), one medium sized kit (monstrous somethingorother or a chariot) and one big one (big unique unit or some sort of countsasmonster).

If there DOES turn out to be bear riders, I'd expect it to be steampunk rock golem bears. ;)

Marvinus
25-04-2012, 22:03
I don't like the idea of having steampunk dwarves, i just love the norse (viking) look they can have. This is a reason why i picked this army.

Razakel
25-04-2012, 22:13
Well, currently that would mean nothing but infantry and the odd unique unit. Presumably then you'd be hoping for some sort of unit-buffer, like the new Empire Wizard Wagons (the old Anvil used to have wheels). Given the current trend of 4 plastic boxes, I'd be expecting two infantry (ex: slayers and hammerers), one medium sized kit (monstrous somethingorother or a chariot) and one big one (big unique unit or some sort of countsasmonster).

If there DOES turn out to be bear riders, I'd expect it to be steampunk rock golem bears. ;)

This gave me a serious: at first I was like :wtf: - but then I was like :D

Trying to imagine what Dwarves with cavalry would be like. Especially rock golem bears, and as I typed that I remembered we're probably years from a new Dwarf book. I'm a very sad panda :(

Damien 1427
25-04-2012, 22:24
I really dislike the idea of Dwarf bear cavalry. Death Roller cav units on the other hand . . .

I'm with you on that. Death Roller Monstrous Cavalry would be the very best.

Or, you know, steam-powered motor-trikes.

silverstu
25-04-2012, 23:02

I had.. cheers for the reminder!;)

And of course plastic slayers are supposed to be coming. BUT I think all this is a fair way off- next year probably- think the rumours are WOC- HE-maybe Dwarfs? Unless they did an early wave like the VC got.
On the re-imagining - the artwork in the books has the right feel but I don't think it has translated into the models. I think it will be a big challenge to get plastic dwarfs looking as good as the old metals [eg the longbeards].

warplock
25-04-2012, 23:22
If High Elves get redone before Dwarfs I'll buy a hat, eat the hat, get annoyed when I remember I already have a hat I could have eaten, then eat that one too out of anger. High Elves have a gorgeous range of minis already, spearelves and archers notwithstanding - I mean just look at those Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes. Bolstered by IoB too. And the core troops arent that bad. Plus they're still strong rules-wise, they're holding up well. Wheres Dwarfs are samey, horribly outdated minis, loads of useless or redundant unit options, i.e just loads of troops who are very similar rules wise.

As the thread is basically a wishlist I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'new Hammerers', or is that too obvious. They're probably one of GW's worst infantry models.

Valaraukar
25-04-2012, 23:26
You might want to practice your hat eating then...

Ouroborus
25-04-2012, 23:47
Well obviously the anvil would get redone, I think.

What other kits would there be? It is a trend for armies to get bigger centerpieces now...

Nocculum
25-04-2012, 23:52
That dwarf special character on throne won't be a special character only feature soon.

mweaver
26-04-2012, 04:34
Daniel: "the Dwarfs are going to be 8th edition's Wood Elves in terms of dramatic changes to their whole range, especially in aesthetics."

I would love to see the existing plastics scrapped and replaced - I love dwarves, and Citadel/GW has a long tradition of producing wonderful dwarf models, but I really dislike the current plastic range. Mind you, I don't think it is likely that GW is going to scrap them and replace them any time soon, but as Mr. Ultra said, we can dream...

Skullking
26-04-2012, 05:24
I can take one glance and tell apart a State Trooper from a Flagellant. For Dwarfs, the differences are more subtle, which is fine, but I feel they are a bit too subtle.

Really? Can't tell a Slayer from an Ironbreaker? The Shirtless, shoeless guy with a bright orange mohawk is a subtle difference from a guy with Full+ plate armor, shield?

I get what you're saying, telling a Hammerer from a Ranger isn't that easy(spoiler!! one has a HAMMER!!). A thunderer and a Dwarf warrior look quite similar, but every army has that, sure a state trooper and a flagellant look vastly different, but a state trooper and a free company trooper look almost identical. A High elf spearman and Lotheran sea guard I still can't tell apart. Clan Rats and skaven slaves, I can typically only tell by how recklessly they're used, or if they're pushing a bell. It's a problem all armies face, the dwarfs are no better or worse than any really.

I believe that some of the classic dwarf models are really quite amazing. The longbeards in particular, are some of my favorite infantry sculpts ever! I love the Iron breakers as well, but I think GW could make some really nice plastic ones in the same style. Slayers and hammerers definitely need a plastic overhaul. I could see something like the gyrocopter becoming their 'monstrous cavalry', while an airship would fill their 'Giant Howdah Beast' quotient for 8th ed (I love this trend BTW, not dissing it at all, keep them biggies comin!!!!).

To be honest, I think the Dwarfs are in a good place at the moment. Their rules are working well in the current edition, they have lots of nice models, and people seem to really like them without having had a recent overhaul.

Urgat
26-04-2012, 07:50
It's a problem all armies face, the dwarfs are no better or worse than any really.

Naaaaaw :p you can tell all the OnG units apart save for big'uns, but for a good reason: they don't have specific models :p

silverstu
26-04-2012, 08:06
If High Elves get redone before Dwarfs I'll buy a hat, eat the hat, get annoyed when I remember I already have a hat I could have eaten, then eat that one too out of anger. High Elves have a gorgeous range of minis already, spearelves and archers notwithstanding - I mean just look at those Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes. Bolstered by IoB too. And the core troops arent that bad. Plus they're still strong rules-wise, they're holding up well. Wheres Dwarfs are samey, horribly outdated minis, loads of useless or redundant unit options, i.e just loads of troops who are very similar rules wise.

As the thread is basically a wishlist I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'new Hammerers', or is that too obvious. They're probably one of GW's worst infantry models.

This-

You might want to practice your hat eating then...

Harry I think dropped a titbit that the pointy eared ones would be before Dwarfs.
On the plus side HE don't need too much- gives them more time to make lots of new lovely stuff for the dwarfs!

azhagmorglum
26-04-2012, 08:39

Or a cannon even bigger than the ogres' one !!

Tlotsqi
26-04-2012, 09:38
And if what I know is right, there are some reasons to make whine the conservative dwarfs players, but it's not a matter of aesthetics. Sorry to be so vague, but I wouldn't be responsible of countless whinning pages based upon wrong informations. I'll wait to have more reliable informations to clarify or to deny this.

Zabousta
26-04-2012, 14:34
While I think the models for the plastic Dwarves are fine. The redundancy in the army is a bit absurd.

I don't use the GW Ironbreaker models, as I'm not a huge fan. (I actually refuse to buy any metal models for the army, and am using only plastic)

I found these guys, and while a bit pricey, I really like the look of them and find they convey the "armored Dwarf" visual that Ironbreakers should.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/CHAOS_DWARFS/CHAOS-DWARF-INFERNAL-GUARD.html

Rodster
26-04-2012, 15:36
That dwarf special character on throne won't be a special character only feature soon.

Hmm, this makes me think I should not buy the High King box set.

Indrazor
26-04-2012, 15:48
And now a fresh rumor from me, I think people have heard about those robotic contraptions in WoW. Those nice machines the dwarves there build to help them defend and mine. Picture that and place that on a large base in plastic for Warhammer as the new special unit. That is all I have to say.

Razakel
26-04-2012, 17:12
And now a fresh rumor from me, I think people have heard about those robotic contraptions in WoW. Those nice machines the dwarves there build to help them defend and mine. Picture that and place that on a large base in plastic for Warhammer as the new special unit. That is all I have to say.

Could you possibly be more specific? I haven't played WoW in years. Are you talking about the large humanoid-mechanical creatures? I think they're produced by Gnomes though. Or are you referring to a steam tank-esque vehicle. I'm not asking you for anything specific about the Dwarf version, but if you could clarify exactly what you meant by your WoW example I'd appreciate it.

Edit: Is this the kind of thing you're referring to? http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/thumb/61636.jpg

Mr_Foulscumm
26-04-2012, 17:33

Worlds most solid rumor...

I have a rumor too, picture a kick ass unit on bases, from another game. That's all I have to day. :p

So this is a wish listing thread right? Slayers riding unicycles with axe blades as wheels! Raawr!

Ouroborus
26-04-2012, 18:15
Imagine a giant Dwarven mining drill as a multi-part kit

haha

ha.... :(

Urgat
26-04-2012, 18:24
I believe it's in the fluff, they're mentioned in Grudgebringer iirc. Skavens also have one in Shadow of the Horned Rat (like 15 years ago), so I really wouldn't be in shock if something like that happened.

Grentain
27-04-2012, 16:06
I would just be glad to see something other than infantry and guns. At one point I had considered using the mining ponies that came with the miners box set (the ones with the steam drills on them?) and hashing together rules for miner chariots...

Erikjust
28-04-2012, 09:02
If Dwarfs should have an identity of their own a theme if you will that defines the whole army it should be like a Mountain. The dwarfs shouldnīt really have any fast attack units not as such, in combat average they arenīt particularly awesome in close combat and their shooting while good isnīt the greatest of all armies but not the worst either.
Where the dwarfs strength should be, should be with their Toughness, Armor Saves and Leadership.
Basically any enemy that goes into close combat with the Dwarfs wonīt lose to them because of the dwarfs superior strength or anything like that, but because fighting them is like fighting a rock with a hammer or and axe, continue to chip at it might eventually wear it down, but itīs going to be hard work and this rock is fighting back.

Thatīs what I would want the dwarfs to be a really hard army not particularly fast or anything like that, but with more then enough toughness, armorsaves and leadership to make up for that.

As for new units besides the regular ones (i think we can safely assume that all of those units made out resin isnīt going to be replaced anytime soon) maybe a huge warmachine like that big cannon or something like that in the start dwarf stronghold in warhammer online.
A Golem would be nice, but i think it should be technical like its a special suit of armor either powered through steam or with special runes, not a living being as such (like the ones in Dragon Age) the golems shouldnīt be fast not as such it can deliver a punch sure but again like the other dwarfs its strength should be with its high toughness, leadership and armor saves.

Other then that i donīt really think the dwarfs needs new units as such what they really need is more of an update on their current units making all of them useful.

Ironbreakers are fine as they are maybe a little cheaper and give them something that really makes them this almost impenetrable wall of gromril that really can hold up a giant unit or two in 3 or 4 rounds.
Increase the Flame Cannonīs range so that combined with other warmachines it comes to its true potential as a warmachine that makes enemy units break and run for the hills.
Increase the toughness of Slayers these guys are or where our monster hunters they could take most of the high strength units and kick their ass the biggest problem (at least when i used them) is that most armies that has shooting can take these guys down before they ever get a chance to get into close combat.
If Slayers are going to become worth their points once again they need to be able to make up for lack of armor so that they actually have a chance of getting into close combat with a monster without being shoot to hell.

Oh and it wouldnīt be so bad if they could also make sure that the boxes our miniatures came in contained a little more units, currently a normal box of dwarf warriors contain around 16 units that great for when the main strength of the army still lay with the heroes and lords of the different armies but with the much more emphasis on hordes (in the new rulebook) i wouldnīt mind if there was maybe 4 or 5 even 10 in certain chases more units in each box, so that every box of plastic units contained around 20 units instead of the usual 10 to 16 units per box.
From a buisness standpoint i can certainly see the logic in making the costumers buy an extra box to get those 40 unit of Dwarf warriors, but from a customer standpoint coupled with GWs ever increasing prices its getting a little expensive in the end.

Mr. Ultra
28-04-2012, 09:21
(i think we can safely assume that all of those units made out resin isnīt going to be replaced anytime soon)

*coffcoff*hivetyrant*coffCOFF*

keffie
28-04-2012, 09:30
the things that are going to change are:
- Organ gun wil be more like Hell blaster but less malfunction danger.
- Basic airship wicht you can upgrade/custumise for points
- Gyro copters are going to something like flying chariots in groups with the first row shooting
- Slayers wil get higher T or ward save against shooting
- Dwarfs wil al go up 1 point in armour
- Rune systeem wil stay but revamped and bit shrunken down

silverstu
28-04-2012, 09:54
- Gyro copters are going to something like flying chariots in groups with the first row shooting

Interesting.. is this what you have heard or what you think/expect to happen?
I could see the gyros becoming more like cavalry [air cav!]- dwarf version of monstrous cavalry? Maybe as a plastic kit- the original gyrocopters where about cavalry sized. An airship would sit well with this.
Dwarfs being generally more heavily armoured seems right- I really hope the models reflect this with layered plate as well as chain mail.
Rune system reworked and slightly reduced sounds right- all this looks reasonable.

Darnok
28-04-2012, 10:10
And off to WHF General...

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquisition

Erikjust
28-04-2012, 17:39
Since the Skavens got their Domm-Wheel back in their latest armybook, maybe the dwarfs should get some of their old units and special characters back as well amongst others i think the Goblin Hewer and Slayer King should be back in the new dwarf armybook.

Craze_b0i
28-04-2012, 18:28
I am not keen on dwarfs getting anything that look like giant robots (steam-powered or otherwise). For me this would be a worse transgression than the Empire mechanical horse.

My main issue with the airship is the fact it would have to be so huge.

A dwarf equivalent of the Chaos Dwarf Infernal Engine or Imperial Steam Tank on the other hand... yes maybe. They definately need something to bring them back up to speed in terms of land-based technology.

The bearded one
29-04-2012, 02:27

Speculation in its entirity, a couple of which I find highly unbelievable. The +1 armour in particular. I'd find it awesome of course but I just dont see them doing it.

feneman
29-04-2012, 21:17
If Dwarfs should have an identity of their own a theme if you will that defines the whole army it should be like a Mountain. The dwarfs shouldnīt really have any fast attack units not as such, in combat average they arenīt particularly awesome in close combat and their shooting while good isnīt the greatest of all armies but not the worst either.
Where the dwarfs strength should be, should be with their Toughness, Armor Saves and Leadership.
Basically any enemy that goes into close combat with the Dwarfs wonīt lose to them because of the dwarfs superior strength or anything like that, but because fighting them is like fighting a rock with a hammer or and axe, continue to chip at it might eventually wear it down, but itīs going to be hard work and this rock is fighting back.

I totally agree with you; to me, one of the most "dwarf-ish" moments I recall as a kid was Ghim's death in "lodoss wars" ... sure he died, but the greatest mage in the realm couldn't prevent him from fulfilling his promise, now that a dwarf.
The problem though is that toughness, armor sv and leadership should set dwarfs apart, but it doesn't really:

-The majority of armies have access to cavalry with 2+ armor sv (and some go even as far as 1+) while dwarfs only have 1 unit with 2+ armor. I remember a post (can't remember if it was here or at bugman's) showing armor sv distribution according to armies, and if we forget about the +1 ward save shenanigans of chaos, dwarfs weren't really in the fore-runners of the list. Maybe giving hammerers gromril and making dwarfs +1 to sv might help ... but I don't want my dwarfs to be 20pts each :(

- Toughness, again not specific to dwarfs. No complaints, just pointing out Chaos, ogre and saurus armies (core choices, other armies have access to higher Toughness than dwarfs through monster infantry and cavalry but that is not core so it doesn't count .... though it does point out the fact that dwarf do not have higher-than-4-toughness choices)

- Leadership, again ... not that specific, though through pure leadership (warriors of Chaos) or through various rules (cold blooded,etc...), having good leadership / being unbreakable is not such a difficult task nowadays.

Even all three together in one army is not something unique to dwarfs (WoC, Lizardmen).
As dwarfs I believe we are much more defined by what we do NOT have than by what we are good at, which is a little sad.
Just hope the new book will make dwarfs stand out in a particular field, defining us by something we do better than the rest.

Snake1311
30-04-2012, 13:32
defining us by something we do better than the rest.

pew pew pew!

Now that empire has taken a shooting nerf, and have got monsters helping them out in CC, there is real space for a warmachine-based shooting specialist.

Warhammer Madman
30-04-2012, 18:11
with all of the speculation bating around I can only really conclude that GW will have to negotiate a minefield not to tread on someones toes...
unfortunately this realization has made GW simply not care who they annoy and as such this (and all other speculative threads) are ultimately useless.
However I can dream...

as my army consists of 99% pewter (1% being the three dwarfs on the anvil...) you can count me as a viking supporter.
my only concern is that any new unit looks cool and the rules can go to hell!
I mean if a unit looks c*** I will make a count-as if its great rules...
then again if a unit looks great but is a bit of a waste of points I will still take it (Iron breakers and Troll slayers over better specials for example).

I do hope we get some interesting maneuvering options though as the tools of the last book are getting old and I want some form new toy to play with.

Craze_b0i
30-04-2012, 21:15
Well fluffwise I think dwarfs should be the war-machine specialists. What they need is some moveable machines like the Infernal Engine or the Stank.

Maoriboy007
30-04-2012, 21:29
Heres a thought...Slayer-pault

"Die with honour Snorri...and take those Grobi down with you....FIRE!" :angel:

Razakel
30-04-2012, 21:41
You laugh, but there was a Gotrek and Felix book where Gotrek was loaded onto a ships catapult and fired onto an enemy ship where he massacred all the crew.

Maoriboy007
30-04-2012, 21:53
You laugh, but there was a Gotrek and Felix book where Gotrek was loaded onto a ships catapult and fired onto an enemy ship where he massacred all the crew.
Epic Slayer fail...did not die gloriously :D

TRIBUN
23-05-2012, 09:44
Sorry, but is this the Dwarf rumours or speculations-thread??

Darnok
23-05-2012, 09:49
You ressurected a thread that was moved out of the rumour section a month ago due to rampant speculation, and died a somewhat peaceful death afterwards, to add nothing but a moan about speculation? :eyebrows:

Thread closed.

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquistion