PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines: Homegrown or GW Created?

Corax
30-04-2006, 12:31
Just curious as to the distribution of SM players who have armies based on existing chapters (ie. Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, etc.), their successors (Crimson Fists, etc.), or something completely homegrown (either Codex or traits based).

Vote away, but feel free to comment on your experiences of SMs in their various forms.

noneedforaname
30-04-2006, 12:33
the last marine army i painted was ultramarines, only did this because my local GW store was painting one for the release of battle for macragge and where doing an awful job so decided to show them up :) i wasnt popular for a while:)

Mad_Max
30-04-2006, 12:48
was firstfoundin (Iron Hands), didn't think the new rules fittet so switched to successor-ish (based on) chapter using codex rules

langolas
30-04-2006, 13:16
I prefered to create my own chapter with my own legacy. Nothing against GW, but I wanted somthing original, somthing where I can create my own stories and history!

Havoc
30-04-2006, 13:17
I usually use a pre heresy sons of horus army, that or ultras as they are easier to paint

astrocortex
30-04-2006, 14:09
I have an Ultramarines army, mostly because I started out playing Ultras in first edition epic (horus heresy) so it seemed a natural progression when I took up 40k. When the deathwing terminators came out many years ago I was given some (by accident; I wanted more ordinary terminators for space hulk! :rolleyes: ) and so I started on the slippery slope into Dark Angeldom.

Now combined the army is a full battle company's worth of marines, plus 1st and 10th company units.

archaeos
30-04-2006, 15:35
My army and still the only army ive got is the ultra marines, at first i tried to biuld it ad paint it to an already existing army but the space codex i had messed it up so now im home growing my army.

For some reason i seem to slowly slip into the old and ancient world of the necrons.

emperorattack
30-04-2006, 16:10
I got black Templars army they are my favorite chapter because they have a fanaticism I really like

HPD_Andy
30-04-2006, 17:45
Ultras and Dark Angles before that.

MorningStar
30-04-2006, 20:06
The only marine chapters I've ever wanted to make where ones I created. Mostly because my friends make exisiting chapters and that gets old.

BloodRaven
30-04-2006, 20:16
Well, Im currently doing a Homegrown force, but Im getting a (shock horror) Blood Ravens army next, when I start to get good.

russian
30-04-2006, 21:11
got a pre heresy lunar wolves army

Subtext
30-04-2006, 21:14
First Chapter of the first Founding.

Tom
30-04-2006, 21:44
Second Founding, Raptors.

Ironhand
30-04-2006, 21:46
I've got Dark Angels, Black Templars, and Space Wolves. My next Chapter might be Ultramarines or Imperial Fists or I might do a home-grown Successor Chapter with traits.

Despoiler
01-05-2006, 00:16
currantly working on my Iron Judges chapter (home grown -codex). a space maine chapter whos temple lies under the ground of a volcanic deathworld and which holds dark secret...

yodasluck
01-05-2006, 01:08
Homegrown SM chapter, but I was looking into a Raven Guard army and I haven't figured out the proper theme for them yet.

Corn Berserker
01-05-2006, 01:12
My only loyalist marines are Grey Knights, not sure if they are relevent to this thread really.

tuebor
01-05-2006, 01:18
I play BT, mostly because I love the imagery and the new models.

However, I did feel like a sellout in starting an MEQ army. My gaming group at the time saw T4 and a 3+ save (the combination of the 2, not just 1) as a crutch, so I caught quite a bit of flak when I first deployed my Templars. Of course, a few sound thrashings at the hands of my Imperial Guard and they were begging to play against my Templars again.

The Dude
01-05-2006, 01:53
My first love will always be my Blood Angels (unless GW gives them another shafting), but currently I am working on my own Traited chapter the Champions of Ma'at.

\/yper
01-05-2006, 02:58
First it was Blood Angels

then it was Ravenguard

now its Home Grown, Traited, Trust your Battle Brothers, Cleanse and Purify
-Kheprian Scarabs

-Vyper

Smoking Frog
01-05-2006, 03:14
Dark Angels.

mongoosedog300
01-05-2006, 03:27
I play ultra's.....not quite sure why :p

New Cult King
01-05-2006, 04:54
I like playing around with original ideas of my own, and seeing what Traits I can fit to the idea, rather than coming up with a l33t Trait combo and trying to write fluff around it :rolleyes:

My Hellhounds are pretty damn cool :D Now that I've got a better technique for painting red, I might keep working on them.

St.Germaine
01-05-2006, 12:48
My first chapter(Sunhawks) was vanilla marines but that was long before the traits system. They've been re-worked with traits but I haven't had them on the table since doing so. The army I've been playing with for several years now is Codex: Blood Angels, although they wear purple and gold ;) . I'm currently working on a bike/LS force using traits (Storm Riders). As two of three are totally DIY, I voted Homegrown Chapter - Traits.

Stormwarningz
01-05-2006, 13:21
Dark Angels None more founding than that.

Carot
05-05-2006, 20:01
Homegrown w/traits

SpaceGhosts, I always prefered the idea of my own chapter over someone else's idea.
They have urban camo'd armor. I could never figure out, for the life of me, why someone would go to war wearing bright blue. Why not just paint a bulseye on your chest.

starlight
05-05-2006, 20:16
Salamander Successor (sit down you:p). Based on *lost company*.

Voted DIY - Traits.

Brother_Falco
06-05-2006, 16:11
1st Company - Deathwing rules (as yet unplayed.)
2nd Company - Traited, TYBB/C&P vs. Death before Dishonour & Eye to Eye. Get most of the play time and are the base of the chapter fluff.
3rd Company - Black Templars, mainly played for fun and tank-rushing.
4th Company - Wolves. Unfinished.
5th Company - Ultramarines/DW. Used for bashing nids and tau.

Shadowheart
06-05-2006, 16:18
The Angels Porphyr, who are probably Primogenitors (Second Founding Ultramarine successors). It's an excellent colour scheme for space knights, and using one of GW's "example" Chapters is more original than most of the Space Marine stuff you can come up with on your own. I mean, with the untold gazillions of home-grown Chapters out there trying to find something that hasn't been done before is more of a puzzle than it is a creative effort.

Ophidicus
06-05-2006, 16:34
Relictors here, I was inspired by the Inquisition schism & the idea of a semi-renegade chapter... plus I like the dirty steel colours. I'll also probably start a Dangly army when they arrive too.

Grand Master Raziel
06-05-2006, 17:14
My own chapter: the Night Angels. When I started them, I had a strong idea of what I wanted them to be like, but couldn't do it with the existing rules (3rd ed), so I used Dark Angels rules for them, since they were a DA successor chapter. Not in the sense that the Angels of Retribution are, but they were created with DA geneseed.

Anyhow, along comes the 4th ed Codex Space Marines with the Traits system, and after I had that dex for a while, I realized I could get much closer to my original intent with that than with DA rules, so I made the switch.

Currently, I'm working on a 13th Company Space Wolves army as well, so I guess that's sorta a First Founding chapter.

I've also been tempted to start a Blood Angels army, but that was mostly in reaction to people complaining about BA Rhino Rush. I was going to make a BA army with nary a Rhino in it - all Scouts and Assault Squads instead.

Lord Centurion
06-05-2006, 17:19
I don't play SM (yet) but i love to create my own renegade chapters from the CSM lists :)

Also get to create my own colour scheme for the and thats half the fun :D

Getifa Ubazza
06-05-2006, 22:25
I play Silver skull marines which are a succesor of the Ultramarines.

Leman Russ
06-05-2006, 22:35
Space Wolves FTW!
Best marine eva in my not-so humble opinion!

Morathi's Darkest Sin
06-05-2006, 23:02
In the past I've had full armies of Space Wolves, a brief dance with Ultramarines, Dark Angels and Scythes of the Emperor.

I currently have a new small Dark Angel scout force, with plans to go full army when their codex gets done.

07-05-2006, 02:40
I say build your own I get tired of people saying thats not fluffy it gets worse when they say well that chapter does't use that.

well how do you know the white scars dont use dreadnaughts?....I modled him on a bike. does he get to turbo boost?

hehe just kidding I didn't do that. but my feeling is that if I use my own chapter I have artistic licenses to do them however I want to

zealousheretic
07-05-2006, 03:06
I keep thinking about starting a Salamanders list; I like their fluff, and I like the emphasis on meltas and flamers.

Might put together a combat patrol of Salamanders, see how I like it.

Grand Warlord
07-05-2006, 06:21
I really like my DA suc chapter, Knights of Caliban.

But my own chapter would appeal to me as well...