PDA

View Full Version : Khemrian Warsphinx, Speed of Light and Fiery Roar- Regen buster?

Mozzamanx
02-05-2012, 14:04
Hiya,

I have been looking for ways to pack more Flaming attacks into my list to deal with the likes of Hellpits, Trollstars and Hydras etc. While TK certainly have a lot of options at range, they are not terribly useful once the opponent makes it into combat. However, I have potentially found something in the Sphinx due to some dodgy wording about its attacks.

"Thundercrush- After its crew have attacked, a Khemrian Warsphinx may exchange all its attacks to make a single Thundercrush attack...."

The wording here is the important part and would seem to indicate that a Thundercrush is resolved after the Tomb Guard. All fine normally, due to the difference in Initiative. However, when acting under the Speed of Light, and thus all elements have I10, would this still hold true? And would it therefore be possible to declare:

- Fiery Roar and TG resolved at I10
- Thundercrush resolved after

If so, this would allow the Sphinx Thundercrush to bypass the opponents Regenerate save and simply work at S9, D6 wounds. This would then leave us with a very real chance of splattering anything which traditionally needs Regen to survive.

I am aware that this may be clutching at straws, but it would be interesting to see what the general opinion is.

Sayber
02-05-2012, 14:13
I would say that order is fine, it does say after, but even without that, you resolve the order how you like for all attacks at the same initiative afaik

T10
02-05-2012, 14:21
Agreed: There is no easter egg to be had here.

-T10

The bearded one
02-05-2012, 14:25
I would say that order is fine, it does say after,

while it is a tad nitpickey at the wording.. it does indeed say "after". On the other hand if speed of light is active and all elements strike at the same time, you can interpret the "after the crew have attacked" in 2 ways:
- the crew really makes and finishes its attacks an initiativestep earlier than the thundercrush,
- or the crew resolves its attacks before the thundercrush, but is still considered to be at the same initiative step (eg. initiative 10) as the thundercrush. All it does is make and resolve its attacks first

but even without that, you resolve the order how you like for all attacks at the same initiative afaik

you resolve them in whatever order you like, but that doesn't mean one will be "before" the other. They're still simultaneously, they're just resolved in a particular order, that's a lot handier than rolling 2-3 sets of attacks simultaneously ;)

Sayber
02-05-2012, 14:31
so would you say that regen can still be taken against all attacks other than fiery roar since they are all simultaneously. Regen is only taken away after being hit by a flaming attack right?

The bearded one
02-05-2012, 14:44
so would you say that regen can still be taken against all attacks other than fiery roar since they are all simultaneously. Regen is only taken away after being hit by a flaming attack right?

yeah.

If a flaming attack wounds something with regeneration, then it won't get regeneration against that flaming attack, nor against other attacks made from slower initiativesteps during that phase. However if you are struck simultaneously by a flaming and non-flaming attack, you only lose regeneration against the flaming attack, because as far as the non-flaming attack is concerned the regenerating opponent isn't hit yet by a flaming attack.

Yowzo
02-05-2012, 23:19
Hiya,

I have been looking for ways to pack more Flaming attacks into my list to deal with the likes of Hellpits, Trollstars and Hydras etc. While TK certainly have a lot of options at range, they are not terribly useful once the opponent makes it into combat. However, I have potentially found something in the Sphinx due to some dodgy wording about its attacks.

"Thundercrush- After its crew have attacked, a Khemrian Warsphinx may exchange all its attacks to make a single Thundercrush attack...."

The wording here is the important part and would seem to indicate that a Thundercrush is resolved after the Tomb Guard. All fine normally, due to the difference in Initiative. However, when acting under the Speed of Light, and thus all elements have I10, would this still hold true? And would it therefore be possible to declare:

- Fiery Roar and TG resolved at I10
- Thundercrush resolved after

If so, this would allow the Sphinx Thundercrush to bypass the opponents Regenerate save and simply work at S9, D6 wounds. This would then leave us with a very real chance of splattering anything which traditionally needs Regen to survive.

I am aware that this may be clutching at straws, but it would be interesting to see what the general opinion is.

If I'm not mistaken, thundercrush only can be done against infantry, so no trolls, HPA or Hydras would be affected.

gdsora
03-05-2012, 16:29
If I'm not mistaken, thundercrush only can be done against infantry, so no trolls, HPA or Hydras would be affected.

You are correct :).

While this sounds like a good plan, what it seems you want to use this on you cannot use it on.

Only infantry, warbeasts, and swarms.