PDA

View Full Version : Magic terrain - what do you use ad how often?

ArtificerArmour
02-05-2012, 21:24
Just curious - how often do you all use magic terrain?

Do you use the same ones, or vary? Are their any you utterly hate?

Just I cant remember ever using a magic river!

DaemonReign
02-05-2012, 21:35
We use the Terrain Generator of the BRB.
What usually happens though is that really 'heavy' objects (Tower of Blood, Wyrding Well) end up being placed quite far from the center of the table-top.
We've tried placing them right in the middle of things, but they threaten to take over too much of the game then..
Rivers are mysterious and whatever you roll up when first stepping into them stands.. Same with forrests.. In our group, I mean.. :)

Urgat
02-05-2012, 21:36
Up until now, I would reroll rivers because I didn't have one. Now I do (shameless plug: see sig :p), so no problem. As for terrain, well, I follow the BRB rules (I use the randomization table). People keep complaining that the terrain does nothing in 8th ed, and at the same time they dislike the magic terrain because they're too random. People really don't know what they want.

tmarichards
02-05-2012, 21:44
I personally prefer to play without the random terrain, I just don't like it.

laribold
02-05-2012, 22:06
Agree with Mr Richards.

I don't like the background to, and impact of the magic terrain. It just seems too random and can have too big an impact on the game.

I'd maybe play with one (or maybe two) pre-chosen magical terrain pieces as part of a scenario but that's all.

Lord Inquisitor
02-05-2012, 22:09
All forests are mysterious
All rivers are mysterious
Marshes are mysterious or rolled before game
Most buildings are generic unless a model particularly suits one of the wacky ones
Large rocks are just impassable
Hills are just hills unless very steep cliffs in which case a scree slope
If any terrain features (statues, portals, etc) are used, the most appropriate special funky rule is selected
Walls/hedges as appropriate to the model

We tried the generator, and it is awful. Every time I've tried it, it's given something stupid like 16 terrain features plus walls, or two sorcerous portals or just something dumb. We typically try to put out a reasonable amount of terrain and select rules that are appropriate for the models.

I'm not a huge fan of the wacky terrain and I try to limit the number of crazy pieces to 1-2. I've made my peace with the mysterious terrain though. If you try to play without the mysterious rules it makes the terrain too inconsequential.

Hicks
02-05-2012, 22:12
I haven't really played the game for long and don't own too many pieces of terrain, so I haven't tried magic terrain yet. I'm still enjoying the game a lot without it, so I'll probably wait until I have a nice array of scenery before trying it.

The Low King
02-05-2012, 22:22
When we are doing a quick friendly game we just pull out terrain and get someone else to place it.
Forests are mysterios but everything else is normal.

Doing a proper game or if we have the time in a friendly game (or if im doing an online game) then we follow the BRB rules.
It makes a massive difference, providing cover from cannons, reducing the effectiveness of Hordes/deathstars. Its a completely different game.

Whilst i can see the complaints about the randomness and weirdness of the terrain (there are some annoying effects) i do find that it has the intended effect by adding more tactical considerations.

pointyteeth
02-05-2012, 22:41
I'd like to use it more but honestly, we forget. We just set up as we have for the past 15 years ie: grab random scenery and set it up in ways that look cool. Generally we remember to roll to see what type of forest we've walked into, but not all the time.

Its been said a couple times that we may not be using enough scenery as the scenery generator usually averages more terrain than we place. Could go a long way to changing how we play.

Leogun_91
03-05-2012, 08:15
We use the random terrain generator, it makes for more fun games. The exception is that a settlement of order/destruction don't get that many obstacles and we often take less terrain in small games (not having any terrain suitable may warrant a re-roll).

SteelTitan
03-05-2012, 08:23
Agree with Mr Richards.

I don't like the background to, and impact of the magic terrain. It just seems too random and can have too big an impact on the game.

Same here. I'm not a fan of things that (possibly) influence the outcome of a game that's not based on solid strategic decision making of the players involved. It's hard to explain but I think you get my point. Also, it slows down the game (rolling for random terrain, rolling for what the mysterious forest does etc etc etc).

Shizzbam
03-05-2012, 08:30
We just layout a decent amoutn of terrain that doesn't clog up the board and don't bother with any of the special rules unless we fancy them for something special like a campaign mission or whatever. I dislike the lore of 'every tree wants to eat you'. That and it can make some armies like Wood Elves seriously gimped.

willowdark
03-05-2012, 11:41
Same here. I'm not a fan of things that (possibly) influence the outcome of a game that's not based on solid strategic decision making of the players involved. It's hard to explain but I think you get my point. Also, it slows down the game (rolling for random terrain, rolling for what the mysterious forest does etc etc etc).

I'm not sure I can get behind this. I understand the point, and sympathize, but being a good strategist or tactician means managing conditions on the ground. So arguing that specific features of the battlefield terrain means that the outcome isn't dependent on good strategy by the player is misleading, since managing the influence of that terrain is part of what designing and executing solid strategy is all about.

fairoaks024
03-05-2012, 11:48
we are the same as a lot of othres have mentioned. A non playing member sets up terrain that they think looks good.

any woods or water features/rivers are rolled for when we enter them, otherwise everything else is mundane,

works well for our group

regards

jim

Duke Ramulots
03-05-2012, 11:53
When I play with inexperienced players we use mundane terrain but when I play a pic up game I like to play with whatever my oponent feels comfortable with(witch is usually a rather open setup to my dismay)

Memnos
03-05-2012, 11:55
I like regular terrain. Not so much a fan of crazy amounts of magical terrain. I really do like having the option of a centerpiece of magical terrain, however, as it gives something to fight over rather than an empty field.

So: Forests - Generally regular forests.
Rivers: Ditto.
Houses. Ditto.

Pick one piece, close to the center. Roll on its magical terrain modifier.

DivineVisitor
03-05-2012, 17:24
Use the magic terrain generator in the BRB, though i'd like to try one of the random placement ones that i was forwarded to by one of the posters here. Though my group isn't a fan of using any house rules.

Lord Inquisitor
03-05-2012, 17:39
Those of you that play with mundane terrain, don't you find that terrain plays too little role in your games? I'm not the world's biggest fan of the wackyhammer rules, but without the threat that the forest might potentially be a wildwood or whatever, units (especially those without any real claim to Steadfast, or those that are Stubborn), have absolutely no disincentive not to march through a forest since it doesn't slow movement in any way?

ArtificerArmour
03-05-2012, 20:10
We have started swapping watchtower for "blood forest", where instead of the tower, we use a blood forest. Whackiness ensues when it scatters all over the shop.

Lord Inquisitor
03-05-2012, 20:11
Heh, that's a cute idea. I might steal that one.

Inevitable
03-05-2012, 20:19
Those of you that play with mundane terrain, don't you find that terrain plays too little role in your games? I'm not the world's biggest fan of the wackyhammer rules, but without the threat that the forest might potentially be a wildwood or whatever, units (especially those without any real claim to Steadfast, or those that are Stubborn), have absolutely no disincentive not to march through a forest since it doesn't slow movement in any way?

Tournaments in my area are run with Mysterious Forest, Mysterious River, Basic everything else.

Normal Games are predominantly Mysterious Forest, Mysterious River, Basic everything else.

Special 'Scenario' Games usually involve 1 or 2 peices of magical terrain that are chosen upon and agreed upon by both parties.

In all cases no one rolls anymore unless it was pre-rolled before showing up to game as it takes up too much time. People just agree upon a scenario/roll for a random scenario, pick the terrain that suits that scenario and runs.

In all cases it appears everything is content with Mysterious Rivers/Forests.

To Answer LordI: If the forest isn't mysterious it makes 0 impact to the game. Even in a tournament when it was just a normal forest we just removed the magnetized trees and put them aside as it made no impact on the game.

Emrico
03-05-2012, 20:19
I use it every game. Rolled right out of the book. The Mysterious Terrain is one of my favorite things about 8th. Adds a lot of variety to both the play of the game and to terrain building. Love it! I use it at every event I run as well. I do pre-roll all the tables and have table maps with what each piece is printed out at each table and that makes it loads easier on the players.

And, shameless plug for GF9...their "Magic Woods & Magic Waters" markers are fantastic for marking those Forests and Rivers during the game. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Jim

Urgat
03-05-2012, 20:33
Heh, that's a cute idea. I might steal that one.

I wanna try what I call "carnivorous forest" once. You put a few forests on the table, they're all mysterious forests, you rerolls 1s. Every turn, they scatter 1D6. That's all :p