PDA

View Full Version : Protecting skink priests

Moss
02-05-2012, 23:18
So, in smaller games where fielding a slann is not an option and you need that skink priest for magic defense (or offense, I guess), how do you protect him? Run him by himself and hope he can hide from wizard/warmachine hunters? Put him in a unit of skinks? An EotG? Something else I've not even considered?

Each option seems to have huge risks, so I'd like to know what other players think is best. Thanks for whatever advice you may have.

anthioram
02-05-2012, 23:43
A Unit ok skinks seems like the best option to me, if they are skirmish skinks even better. A bit more expensive than skinks cohorts but more maneuverable and better against templates or shooting. But you can always use that cloak of feathers and, if your enemy doesn´t have many wizard hunters, run him solo.

A EotG is not a good option though, for that many points you are better of with a slaan. In fact a naked slaan is better than a skink priest everytime. So, unless the battle is under 1100points or you are trying a fluffy list, you should go for the slaan IMO.

Moss
03-05-2012, 00:50
So is it generally accepted that skirmishers are better for the job? Even considering that for the cost of 10 skirmishers with no save you can get 14 normal skinks with 6+ AS?

Malorian
03-05-2012, 01:04
I don't.

If I can't have a slann because it's so small I just throw the ruby ring on my saurus general. Done.

The bearded one
03-05-2012, 01:17
I don't.

If I can't have a slann because it's so small I just throw the ruby ring on my saurus general. Done.

that doesn't afford any magic defence.

bigbear bailey
03-05-2012, 01:41
I take him with skrimishers of in a block of Saurus. He does pretty well in saurus units as he has to be on the edge, with is nice if he miscasts.

Malorian
03-05-2012, 01:58
that doesn't afford any magic defence.

Sure it does, I still get the highest dice don't I? ;)

I know there is a chance someone will take a lvl 4 to a 1500 point game, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

bigbear bailey
03-05-2012, 02:42
cough me cough lol

Moss
03-05-2012, 02:51
Sure it does, I still get the highest dice don't I? ;)

I know there is a chance someone will take a lvl 4 to a 1500 point game, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

How does that work out for you when you run into an opponent like VC, where letting him control the magic phase can really hurt? You might not see a level 4, but you're likely to see a pair of lvl 2s.

anthioram
03-05-2012, 13:04
Sure it does, I still get the highest dice don't I?

Thinking competitive here but why not take a slaan to a 1500 points game?
I mean, naked it's a bargain and tooling him up with the ethereal/unbreakable combo could be devastating at that point level. In fact there are so many combos that will (or should) win you the game at low point games that it seems like a no brainer to me, more so compared to a saurus general.

Malorian
03-05-2012, 13:47
How does that work out for you when you run into an opponent like VC, where letting him control the magic phase can really hurt? You might not see a level 4, but you're likely to see a pair of lvl 2s.

VC? No problem.

All the points I save goes into combat troops and my saurus block kill faster than he can raise.

Now DE, now they can be a problem...