PDA

View Full Version : Empire Hordes and Busses Versus Bricks

timff8
04-05-2012, 05:37
Hi all

I'm working some new Empire lists, and trying to figure out a stance on units in general.

Taking a big horde/bus of State Troops (pick your poison; I prefer Spearmen in a Bus, and Halberdiers in a horde) is great, and I personally insist on one at every points level.

In bulking up my front line, should I be constructing more Hordes or Busses, or do tough bricks of units such as Greatswords and Flagellants work as well? I don't want to be playing one horde/bus after another, is my point. Is bookending them with bricks of tougher troops viable, or should I be putting my points entirely into masses of expendable mans?

All the best,

Timff8

jtrowell
04-05-2012, 13:24
Both are viable, it depends on what you're trying to do.

Buses are better than order if you want a smaller frontage (espacially for gunlines where you might want to deny a flank), but hordes are better to protect characters (by putting them in the corner where only a few attacks should be possible on them) and to be killy.

For a more fighty army, you might want to use at least one bus to anchor your line with your general and BSB (the bus having a smaller frontage will be able to optimise the range of both the general and BSB) flanked with hordes (or depending on game size smaller units of flagellants or greatswords deployed 7 wide) with knights and most other support units (steam tank, canons, ...) on the sides. Indirect fire artillery, the war altar and the wizards wagons can be put behind your lines.

If you have many hordes, another solution to reduce your flank might be to make two waves, letting the first line weaken your oppoent, hope that you won't panic, and charge then with the second wave when possible, eitheir after the first line has broken/been killed, or after manoeuvring to a flank if it holds.

Flaggellant can be a very good second wave, as it helps protect them against range attacks, and they can be very effective to kill an already weakened elite unit.

Malorian
04-05-2012, 13:46
The great thing about an army like Empire is the options. As long as you build the army around your idea and play it right almost anything is viable.

timff8
05-05-2012, 05:07
I understand the distinction between and strengths of both hordes and busses, I was concerned about the use of bricks (20-30 in a square formation) of tougher troops as an alternative, posted on the outside of my main battle line.