PDA

View Full Version : chracter as monstrous cavlry question

Chainaxe07
05-05-2012, 23:09
Hello,

This never came about before in our games, but today i hit a dark elf pegasus riding hero with a killing blow attack. Now, we are familiar with the "newish" rules for combined mount/rider profile, but what about rules that would affct the character but not the mount? In our game it rurned out to be irrelevant, as te lucky jeezer passed his ward save, but still i'd like to know if thee has been an official explaination/clarificataion on this. Thanks in advance!

Iraf
05-05-2012, 23:17
FAQ states that if the mounted character would be affected by killing blow, then he would still be affected no matter the classification of his mount.

Chainaxe07
05-05-2012, 23:44
FAQ states that if the mounted character would be affected by killing blow, then he would still be affected no matter the classification of his mount.

Makes sense to me :)

RanaldLoec
06-05-2012, 00:28
Be warned

Some characters are classified as monstrous cavalry and can't be effected by killing blow.

Examples are WoC Arachon and The Empires Balthsar Gelt who can only be taken as MC, so they can't be effected by killing blow as they can't be taken as infantry as per the faq.

Unlike Demons Skulltaker who can be taken as infantry and can be mounted on a jugger to be MC but can be effected by killing blow.

Stupid I know but that's how the faq is worded.

Iraf
06-05-2012, 01:02
Also along what Ranald says, a lot of the new MC, like the Chicken Riders in the Empire book are listed as MC. You can usually find a models type in the army book. Also at the troop summary in the back of the Brb.

Chainaxe07
06-05-2012, 11:49
Also along what Ranald says, a lot of the new MC, like the Chicken Riders in the Empire book are listed as MC. You can usually find a models type in the army book. Also at the troop summary in the back of the Brb.

Well, to be fair, while in terms of games mechanics it may sound a tad weird, you have to consider, most often, MC charactes will have access to some kind of ward save, making them at least partially resistant toKB (usually 50%) and much more resistant to ordinary damage. So, all in all, this may work. Oh, btw, we have a new empire player in the group, as well as a veteran...we'll probably be seeing some "chicken riders" soon ;)

Dreadlordpaul
06-05-2012, 13:16
Also remember that a chaos player can make 2 of his characters immune to killing blow via magic armour and the DE can have a reverse ward save

T10
06-05-2012, 17:06
The FAQ entry is classic 7th ed hangover.

GodlessM
06-05-2012, 18:22
The FAQ entry is classic 7th ed hangover.

Considering it is an 8th edition FAQ, how can this possibly make any sense?

Mr_Rose
06-05-2012, 18:26
Considering it is an 8th edition FAQ, how can this possibly make any sense?

As in, the FAQ writer remembering the way something worked and neglecting to account that the fundamental basis had changed.

GodlessM
06-05-2012, 18:28
FAQ on the matter seems fine to me. It used to work a lot differently.

T10
06-05-2012, 18:41
It used to work pretty much like the FAQ suggests back in 7th when the current monstrous beasts were monster mounts too. Somebody apparently thought it odd that you could use KB on a character on a pegasus or a dragon back in 7th ed, but that the rules for troop types in 8th ed changed that.

Chainaxe07
06-05-2012, 22:00
It used to work pretty much like the FAQ suggests back in 7th when the current monstrous beasts were monster mounts too. Somebody apparently thought it odd that you could use KB on a character on a pegasus or a dragon back in 7th ed, but that the rules for troop types in 8th ed changed that.

Well, i think the FAQ is weird too, but rather because you canot use kb on regular monstrous cavalry entries (like the aforementioned chicken riders from the empire) rather than becase you can kb mounted characters. The last point seems perfectly fine to me, i would even say very convenient. My opponent's level 2 sorceress already got 1 W and 1 T upgrade, as well as a huge movement boost and extra attacks,for a reasonably low point cost while still not being a large target. Making her also immune to KB would be too much (especially since the b1tch already has a 4 plus ward save and is hard enough to kill as is). Again, they could extend this to "troop type" monstrous cavalry but hey, not such a big issue after all.

T10
06-05-2012, 23:06
Sometimes the rules eschew fine detail in favour of playability: Sometimes you cannot charge a unit because the side you need to contact is blocked by other units or terrain, even if you have a clear path to another side of the unit.

This time they decided to make a half-assed attempt at making the rules make sense. :)

If GW stuck with the RAW this time then on the whole people would accept that monstrous cavalry, chariots and monsters in general are immune to Killing Blow on account of their troop type. I am sure plenty of players feel cheated that Bloodcrushers and Demigryph Knights are immune while Heralds on Juggernauts and Captains on Pegasi are not.

-t10