PDA

View Full Version : black coach: why are you a vampire?

madival
06-05-2012, 07:55
I am confused as to why the black coach is a vampire. The only real benefit is march, which chariots can't do. It just feels tacked on with no real thought. It is the only " vampire" my army fields and it gains no benefit from it. Your thoughts ?

Darnok
06-05-2012, 08:06
It's immune against the effect of the general being killed, which is pretty big for the Coach.

Other than that, there are only background related reasons for that rule.

ArtificerArmour
06-05-2012, 08:42
Its got the remains of a dead vampire in there.

Similarly, ghoils are not undead, and I strongly believe being classed as living would fix their problems immensely.

ExquisiteMonkey
07-05-2012, 05:57
Isn't it also so you can only heal one wound per cast?

Kayosiv
07-05-2012, 10:23
I'm pretty disappointed that the black coach, varghulf, blood knights, and vargeists didn't get "The Hunger" special rule. 1 in 6 chance to heal 1 wound would be so flavorful and give the coach a reason to be a vampire beyond maybe living if your general dies.

NitrosOkay
07-05-2012, 13:47
Blood Knights wouldn't get any benefit from the Hunger, it restores lost wounds it doesn't raise dead models.

Black Coach has always been Vampiric going back through all the Vampire Counts books.

Two books ago Ghouls were "Alive!" and "Skirmishers", how times change.

Gaargod
07-05-2012, 15:05
I'm pretty disappointed that the black coach, varghulf, blood knights, and vargeists didn't get "The Hunger" special rule. 1 in 6 chance to heal 1 wound would be so flavorful and give the coach a reason to be a vampire beyond maybe living if your general dies.

The vargulf definitely should have got the the Hunger. Wouldn't really be worth anything in points terms (maybe 5pts worth? 1/6 per round is very meh).

Not so sure about the Coach. It's a vampire with a lot of problems - he's not really in the position to be drinking blood any time soon. Vampiric rule is still fine, he still has an influence on the damn thing.

And yeah, ghouls made a lot more fricking sense when they were alive.

Mr Ogre
07-05-2012, 17:55
Thing is, Ghouls that aren't Undead become a right liability. You'd need to put a character in with them, or keep them close to the General. When beaten in combat, there is a very real risk of any character leading them being more or less auto-crumbled in the next round, and if no character is in the unit, it leaves a whacking great hole in your line.

Keeping it all Undead removes a good chunk of book keeping, allowing the players to simply crack on with the skull cracking!

Arnizipal
07-05-2012, 21:21
I hugely preferred Ghouls as skirmishing charge-baiters and warmachine hunters.
Do not underestimate the ability to flee from a charge.

On topic: The Black Coach holds the remains of a vampire. The whole reason the coach is present on the battlefield is to restore its destroyed passanger ;)