PDA

View Full Version : cairn wraiths and challenges

madival
06-05-2012, 18:55
Does anyone challenge constantly with their hero wraiths against none magical weapon wielding opponents? I have killed bsb, champions and everything. They only really cause one wound for me in combat most of the time anyway and saves two attacks at me usually. What do you guys do with them ?

GodlessM
07-05-2012, 01:23
Seems pointless in most cases as if the Wraith can't be hurt there's no reason for the character to accept and risk himself.

Sexiest_hero
07-05-2012, 01:36
Some have to accept, ans some people thing they will be able to crumble them, just flee to the back or take a lore that gives magic attacks.

madival
07-05-2012, 04:16
Seems pointless in most cases as if the Wraith can't be hurt there's no reason for the character to accept and risk himself.

but if the don't accept, someone runs to the back and wont fight. If its a BSB, then they lose the power the BSB offers for the turn.

m1acca1551
07-05-2012, 04:28
Wraiths are bsb snipers, in competive games i will often run a wraith straight at a bsb as our meta is heavy magic banners, either way my wraith kills him or kills a re-roll ld. Other characters i tend to avoid due to there beibg some dirt cheap magic items.

shakedown47
07-05-2012, 04:39
I can't find anything in the brb that says a BSB doesn't give re-rolls if he has refused a challenge, and that's not how we've been playing it in our area since the advent of 8th. Can you cite the page?

warplock
07-05-2012, 11:45
There's nothing which says a BSB loses his reroll power if he refuses a challenge. As per GodlessM, I don't see why anyone without magic attacks would ever accept.

GodlessM
07-05-2012, 11:52
but if the don't accept, someone runs to the back and wont fight. If its a BSB, then they lose the power the BSB offers for the turn.

If they can't hurt him anyway it doesn't matter whether or not a character can't fight; this is all unless you are talking about the unlikely situation where there's one random Wraith in the front of a unit (generally it's either all ethereal fighting or none, as you don't really reap the benefit otherwise in 8th as things always have something else to attack). Also, the only thing a character in the back can't do is fight and give their Ld; there's no such restriction for BSB re-rolls.

Demoulius
08-05-2012, 03:12
Well champions can accept challenges anyway. So if your opponent has an BSB that just happens to not have a magical attack (can happen) he generally does have a very good save. Cairn wraiths are S5. Not very hard to save against really... By the time your wraith will have (or might have) killed the character the unit he was with will most likely have long since crumbled...

Its a nice idea though and if it works for you then awesome :)

I think its abit to much points for something that might work...

Aluinn
14-05-2012, 10:52
I find it hard to get much use out of a challenge-issuing Wraith, but I still tend to use one anyway, because it's a pretty dirt-cheap way to get: A) 3 S5 attacks in the front of a unit, if you need that, e.g. in Skeletons it increases their combat power significantly, and unlike many other Heroes the Wraith really doesn't need to take items out of fear of being chumped by RnF; B) an Ethereal unit that can, as others, tie things up if they don't have static CR--and you can charge out of a unit, which is nice for the possible surprise factor; and C) Terror.

In essence I find the Wraith to have a heap of nice little bonuses that might help you sometime; no one thing about him makes him great, but it all starts to add up after a while and one of them will probably be useful in any given situation. I only really regret having him around when facing Daemons, but ... Daemons are just bad for VC in general.

snottlebocket
14-05-2012, 11:34
I can't find anything in the brb that says a BSB doesn't give re-rolls if he has refused a challenge, and that's not how we've been playing it in our area since the advent of 8th. Can you cite the page?

In the past refusing a challenge puts a character in the rear rank where he doesn't exist for all intends and purposes. I haven't played much 8th though.