PDA

View Full Version : Hardcover Codex

Den87
11-05-2012, 10:47
With 6th edition coming this year, does anyone think we may get hardcover codex. Fantasy got them for their new rules. Im not sure if this was already discussed, if it was my apologies.

chromedog
11-05-2012, 10:57
If GW want to commit economic suicide in the antipodes, maybe. Their numbers are sliding enough as is.

Scalebug
11-05-2012, 11:02
If GW want to commit economic suicide in the antipodes, maybe. Their numbers are sliding enough as is.
Aren't you the financial expert... :rolleyes:

Pretty safe to assume we will get hardcover books. With a price-hike. Without GW commiting economic suicide. Because people will still buy them. And whine on the interwebs.

Den87
11-05-2012, 11:18
I hope we do get the hardcovers, I personally do not mind paying a little extra for better quality. But there will always be those that dont want to pay extra which I can understand, but how many codex do you really need to buy.

Latro_
11-05-2012, 11:19
There has been talk that 6th ed codex books will be hardback, like everything these days with GW, we'll just have to wait and see.

Den87
11-05-2012, 11:30
There has been talk that 6th ed codex books will be hardback, like everything these days with GW, we'll just have to wait and see.

No I understand that is the wait and see game, but the thought crossed my mine. I was also thinking that many people state that 40k is more popular then fantasy, but fantasy got the nicer army books first, i suppose to bring fantasy back in the ring, though I perfer fantasy over 40k.

Beppo1234
11-05-2012, 11:31
as long as they can be opened all the way up, and left open on a specific page, without splitting the spine, i'll be happy with HC. But I've ruined a couple of big rule books this way.

Crimson Reaver
11-05-2012, 11:34
No objections on hardcover books as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully it will make them more hard wearing when being transported and used during games.

Marzillius
11-05-2012, 11:35

GW's player base is growing, just compare the rate of new releases to 3 years ago. Also, GW actually went with profit in 2011, something few entertainment buisnesses can brag about.

ehlijen
11-05-2012, 12:06
GW's player base is growing, just compare the rate of new releases to 3 years ago. Also, GW actually went with profit in 2011, something few entertainment buisnesses can brag about.

The rate of releases is at best loosely indicative of player base numbers.

megatrons2nd
11-05-2012, 13:51

Getting a profit isn't that hard when you raise your prices at every turn. Yearly price raise, check, increase price when changing box cover, check, raise price when updating army, check.......

I personally would not mind a hardcover codex, but the price will be higher than larger books printed by other companies. So I would prefer a soft cover at a lesser price than current or a hard cover with no price increase. Sadly GW will just raise the price and give us a dubious gain in quality.

ColShaw
11-05-2012, 14:11
I wouldn't mind hardcover books if they didn't cost $38 apiece. Since they probably will... well, Battlefront can have my money instead.

Gertjan
11-05-2012, 14:27
They probably will,c an't see them sticking to softcover for 40k while going hardcover for fantasy, on the other hand fantasy has always been a game played more by the "older" people on average than 40k has so maybe they will stick to softcover. Either way I'm not really hoping it'll be hardcover, the hardcover price has just become to much for me. I paid iirc €27.50 for the O&G hardcover book which was a tad on the higher side but I was able to stomach it but now they are at € 32.50 already, and that I simply cannot justify anymore. Not for books with mediochre writing and artwork that has been regurgitated for quite a long time now with only ever so seldom a new piece of art in there. I"ll find some other way to get my hands on the info in the army books or I'll wait till I can get it 2nd hand.

That said, the hardcover books are more usefull in that they will stay open on the page I want them to stay open and they feel and look better (I know, it's a subjective thing but it feels more like a book to me than softcovers ever can). Guess only time will tell what it'll be, though given recent trends in price increases I daresay it won't matter much to me personally as byt he time the first codex hits the shelves it'll be beyond what I'm willing to pay regardless of whether it's hardcover or not (sorry if I should not have mentioned the whole price bit as there's a seperate thread for that, I"ll try to refrain from it, thought it was pertinent to the post though).

loveless
11-05-2012, 14:30
I'm sure they will. That's why I shifted over to a Xenos player - I don't have to worry about updates and having to buy overpriced hardcover codices for years.

Megad00mer
11-05-2012, 14:39
I really like the hardcover fantasy army books and would be quite happy if 40k Codexes got the same treatment. Yes, the books are about $10 more expensive but considering we get (if we're lucky) 3 Codexes a year? I think I can handle an extra $30 bucks a year (if that) for better quality, full color products.

megatrons2nd
11-05-2012, 14:51
I really like the hardcover fantasy army books and would be quite happy if 40k Codexes got the same treatment. Yes, the books are about $10 more expensive but considering we get (if we're lucky) 3 Codexes a year? I think I can handle an extra $30 bucks a year (if that) for better quality, full color products.

And for like $10 more you can buy a book 3 times the size, with real full color rather than the 2-4 colors used by GW. The backing is also made with better quality. I dropped a GW one once on a carpeted floor and it split the cover about 1/4(roughly 3 1/2 inches) the way down the side. I dropped my Battletech book on concrete and it weathered the fall better, but still split a corner of the cover buy about 2 inches. Did I mention it was more than twice the size and weight?

The not full color GW books are only better than their soft bound books by a marginal amount. They are not worth the price they ask. I will get mine secondhand, or as a gift, but will not buy direct/new.

Megad00mer
11-05-2012, 14:58
And for like $10 more you can buy a book 3 times the size, with real full color rather than the 2-4 colors used by GW. The backing is also made with better quality. I dropped a GW one once on a carpeted floor and it split the cover about 1/4(roughly 3 1/2 inches) the way down the side. I dropped my Battletech book on concrete and it weathered the fall better, but still split a corner of the cover buy about 2 inches. Did I mention it was more than twice the size and weight?

The not full color GW books are only better than their soft bound books by a marginal amount. They are not worth the price they ask. I will get mine secondhand, or as a gift, but will not buy direct/new.

Thing is...I play 40k...not Battletech so.......;)

To each their own. I'm sure plenty of players won't feel the books are worth the extra money and that's fine. We all know there are plenty of ways a person can "obtain" :shifty: a copy of a new Codex/Army Book that doesn't involve buying one new. For those like me who actually like to collect them however, I think it will be a welcome change.

I think GW should take a page (pun intended) from Privateer Press' playbook (another one!) and offer both a soft and hardcover version of their books and let the players decide.

Axeman1n
11-05-2012, 15:01
This is a soar subject to me because I had planned on buying each codex as they came out. I have all of the current 40k codecies, as I had planned, but now with my ingress into WFB, I don't think I can keep up. I got my OK book, but now I have to get TK, VC, and Emp. That and tax makes for a lot of book. It's to the point where in order to keep buying books I will not be able to buy more models. My gaming dollar is not increasing as fast as the price of gaming.

MajorWesJanson
11-05-2012, 16:00
I expect Hardback Codices and plastic mini-sprues/clampack models to show up with the new edition.

Bunnahabhain
11-05-2012, 16:19
I'm sure we'll get them. I don't want them.

A big price hike, for probably a marginal increase in quality, and making them far heavier to carry about? Thanks, but no thanks.

If the actual content was much, much better- Lots of well written new background, decent pictures, a properly done and well laid out army list, then they might be worth it.

Scaryscarymushroom
11-05-2012, 16:28
I wouldn't mind hardcover books if they didn't cost $38 apiece.

For me, the price will only be a problem if the content in the book isn't worth it.

If I thought the Grey Knight Codex were worth $33, I would happily shell out another $5 to make it hardcover. But most of their codices are already overpriced, IMO.

megatrons2nd
11-05-2012, 17:04
Thing is...I play 40k...not Battletech so.......;)

To each their own. I'm sure plenty of players won't feel the books are worth the extra money and that's fine. We all know there are plenty of ways a person can "obtain" :shifty: a copy of a new Codex/Army Book that doesn't involve buying one new. For those like me who actually like to collect them however, I think it will be a welcome change.

I think GW should take a page (pun intended) from Privateer Press' playbook (another one!) and offer both a soft and hardcover version of their books and let the players decide.

It was more as a quality/price comparison. I'm unfamiliar with Privateer Press book quality, and prices. I personally play Battletech, Vor the Maelstrom, and Warhammer 40K. As well as a smattering of board games. The quality to price comparison of GW books is more price less quality, in my opinion. My Vor books have stood ground better than the comparably sized GW ones, and my larger hard bound books appear to stand up to more abuse than the hard bound fantasy books that I've handled.

Battletech has a more stable rule set than 40K. It is worth a try to play.

Konovalev
11-05-2012, 17:25
I dropped a bible once. Got struck by lightning. Where's that kind of quality GW?

Deamon-forge
11-05-2012, 17:37
as said a HC would be nice, as you only need to buy it once so dropping what ever cost on it once would not hurt i dont think , and they last longer and look nicer. well nothing like seeing load of hard back books sitting their looking at you saying "you could of gone on a nice weeks holiday if you did not buy us"

AdolfHammond
11-05-2012, 17:54
Personally, I'd like the idea of nice, sit on the shelf hardback color codex loaded with background, painting guides, short stories etc basically the first half of current codex's expanded upon.

Then GW could release the army special rules, army lists and unit rules entries online as regularly updated and erratad PDF's (say, on a 6 monthly review cycle). A printed copy (of quality akin to the assembly guides included in larger kits) would also be bundled in battleforce boxes.

GW can then leverage more money out of people for plastic-crack rather than less profitable outsourced printed materials, as the desire to pick up an alternate armies via battleforce is increased without the requisite 25 barrier-to-entry cost of an extra army book.

People who don't want to buy the big fancy color hardback book dont have to - the critical "needed to play" rules are easily accessible and updateable (if updated in concert every 6 months) and new unit entries and special models can be added easily without being tied to a ten year refresh cycle for codexes - making the release cycle of models that much flexible as they dont need to release in army specific waves... instead add some new or updated units once every six months via the "living" codexs, when you know the induvidual models are going to be ready to ship in that half year.

Just a thought - would surely keep all takers happy?

vstag
11-05-2012, 18:17
I really enjoy my new hardcover Ogre book so I think I will enjoy any hardcover 40k books as well, but I dont think any of my armys will get a update soon.

de Selby
11-05-2012, 18:24
I think it's inevitable but I'm not happy about it. The rules are the rules regardless of the cover on the book, and they're already just churning out background text to fill space rather than doing anything interesting with it. I've specifically not bought WFB books because I don't think they're worth the money at this point.

On the plus side, I'm looking forward to new-style plastic characters migrating over to 40k (fingers crossed).

CaptainGallas
11-05-2012, 19:25
I hope they do them in HC. I don't care if they would double the price, I would still buy the ones fo my armies.
To me it's still worth it, I read them for years.
I'm addicted. God, GW must love guys like me. Grown up family men with full time jobs and only one hobby. :)

I still read in my 1996 2nd ed. Blood Angels codex (Angels of Death) from time to time.
As long as they make the codexes good, I will pay up.
The 3rd edition leaflets was a disaster, don't go there again.
Give me hard cover, 200 pages of amazing fluff and pictures and I will gladly pay what they want. (like the IA books!)

loveless
11-05-2012, 19:28
Give me hard cover, 200 pages of amazing fluff and pictures and I will gladly pay what they want. (like the IA books!)

They'll give you hardcover, 96 pages of mediocre fluff and recolored pictures, and charge you whatever they want! :p

Lothlanathorian
11-05-2012, 20:15
If they go hardcover for the Codices, I will be bowing out of the hobby. This isn't a ragequit blah blah I'm an idiot thing so much as an I know GW will charge a price for these books in excess of reason and it isn't anything I'd care to be a part of.

Johnmclane
11-05-2012, 20:23
I'm really looking forward to hard cover ever since i saw the fantasy ones. Hoping to get a huge, hard cover chaos legion codex after this summer !

Szalik
11-05-2012, 20:29
If they go hardcover for the Codices, I will be bowing out of the hobby. This isn't a ragequit blah blah I'm an idiot thing so much as an I know GW will charge a price for these books in excess of reason and it isn't anything I'd care to be a part of.

No need to get out of hobby altogether, just don't buy the books.

Den87
11-05-2012, 20:46
I feel that with each new addtion of rules, the whole story line go forward. Like take the fantasy army books for example, the new empire book and all other new 8th edition army books really did not progress at all in terms of fluff. I just thinks that would perhaps jusify the price increase, meaning that yeah we have to pay a little for the new books, but at least your getting more fluff and a growing storyline.

Lothlanathorian
11-05-2012, 20:52
No need to get out of hobby altogether, just don't buy the books.

I was having a similar thought, but, promoting such things on Warseer is against the rules :shifty:

I am also a big fan of book-in-hand and I like to buy all of the books. I don't know that I'd quit altogether, but, it would be a sad day, indeed. Although, if the Chaos Legions Codex happens and is all it's rumoured to be, I think I can make an exception for that one in hardcover :D

Scaryscarymushroom
11-05-2012, 20:57

I understand where you're coming from, and it's your right to bow out of the hobby if you like, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

But it would be sad to see anyone leave the whole hobby just because a single company priced them out. There are a lot of games with interesting stories, good rules, and compelling background outside of GW. Even if you're only in it for GW's products, stop a moment and give other games a sniff. You might find out you like them.

Rick Blaine
11-05-2012, 23:17
Personally, I'd like the idea of nice, sit on the shelf hardback color codex loaded with background, painting guides, short stories etc basically the first half of current codex's expanded upon.

Then GW could release the army special rules, army lists and unit rules entries online as regularly updated and erratad PDF's (say, on a 6 monthly review cycle). A printed copy (of quality akin to the assembly guides included in larger kits) would also be bundled in battleforce boxes.

Much like what I was thinking. Release gorgeous art/fluff books for all factions, but keep the actual rules separate and easy to update.

chromedog
12-05-2012, 00:06
NOT down under it isn't. The "tyranny of distance" works against them. Their policy changes last year also worked against them.

They are closing stores (because they have too many and the business model does NOT work here.)

Sythica
12-05-2012, 00:18
The price increase wouldn't even be single percentage point on the amount of money I spend in gaming in a year. This is not bragging, it's just simple math. This is not designed as a budget hobby, and it shouldn't be treated as such.

That being said, I wish the quality would be increased by more than a few percentage points. And that's just because I like to read codexes from time to time for more than just the rules.

Lothlanathorian
12-05-2012, 04:33
It's never been a 'budget hobby' but it did used to be a 'reasonably priced hobby'.

ehlijen
12-05-2012, 05:42
NOT down under it isn't. The "tyranny of distance" works against them. Their policy changes last year also worked against them.

They are closing stores (because they have too many and the business model does NOT work here.)

I think it works better here than it ever did in the US, though. Or at least it did before last year.

Freakiq
12-05-2012, 13:40
I'm digging the hardbacks in fantasy and would definitely welcome them in 40k.

The fact that some pictures in the Necron codex were made in colour (but printed in B&W) shows that they are preparing for or at least considering colour hardbacks.

Lothlanathorian
12-05-2012, 18:30
GW making images in color and printing them in b&W isn't new to GW or just about anyone who prints rulebooks or anything else of that short.

Fithos
13-05-2012, 07:40
I would say I would like to see Ebook releases...

But GW will probably save that for seventh, and then charge more than they do for the hardcover ones.

In all seriousness, I know it isn't a budget hobby, but I haven't bought anything new since about Christmas after the IG codex was released. I don't have a ton of money to spend on this hobby and have been slowly building up my IG force for about ten years but as their prices inflated so has everything else I need to buy and I can't justify their outrageous prices anymore. If they go hardcover and charge $40 plus price hikes for the models themselves to field up to date armies I will probably either be buying second hand or, more likely, also be leaving the hobby.

prowla
13-05-2012, 07:57
I expect Hardback Codices and plastic mini-sprues/clampack models to show up with the new edition.

+1, no reason why they wouldn't, as they already have them going on at Fantasy side. In fact, the plastic clamshells are the only way to get the whole Finecast scandal off their backs. I understand Finecast has had much more flak on 40k side, where there are no sweet plastic IC clamshells to cushion the blow.

Out of the hobby, or The Hobby? :p Fortunately, there's plenty of other games that still are somewhat reasonably priced.

Friedrich von Offenbach
13-05-2012, 07:59
I'd actually prefer white dwarf quality (and price) codexes. The prices for codexes are already to high, when all i want are the rules written on a piece of paper - such is it a problem that most people in my gaming group have at least one codex which has been pirated from the web and printed off. Sure hardcover would be great, nice to look at, touch, feel, etc, but not for those prices. Sometimes i might want a nice hardcover book, but most of the time all i want is a low quality soft cover book/magazine

Lothlanathorian
13-05-2012, 08:01
Out of the hobby, or The Hobby? :p Fortunately, there's plenty of other games that still are somewhat reasonably priced.

I did mean The Hobby when I said that :)

Ebon
13-05-2012, 08:34
I understand Finecast has had much more flak on 40k side, where there are no sweet plastic IC clamshells to cushion the blow.

The models are nice, true, but remember that they're still priced as if they were metals for plastic models. Eight quid for a single plastic mini at regular scale.

I'd actually prefer white dwarf quality (and price) codexes. The prices for codexes are already to high, when all i want are the rules written on a piece of paper - such is it a problem that most people in my gaming group have at least one codex which has been pirated from the web and printed off. Sure hardcover would be great, nice to look at, touch, feel, etc, but not for those prices. Sometimes i might want a nice hardcover book, but most of the time all i want is a low quality soft cover book/magazine

I'd be happy with either direction as long as they pick one. Cheap, magazine-quality codexes? Fine, it'll fall apart pretty quick but I can just buy new ones at that price. Full-colour, hardback codex? Again, fine. It'll hold up well and the full-colour is nice to look at. The current softback ones are the worst of both worlds, IMO: Expensive, mostly B&W and fall apart too easily.

ogretyrant
13-05-2012, 09:08
I took one look at the price of my new OK army book and.... I got it by other means! I am constantly on the lookout for 2nd hand ones that I can pick up but whilst the books are nice they are not 25 nice!

I used to buy all the books just so I could have a good read of them and make some army lists and toy with the idea of getting the models for said army lists, heck I even bought new armies because I bought army books/codex at a resnable price!

Personally I like the idea of background fluff books and seperate army lists/rules because then if you only want the rules for your army or just to play around with some lists you dont have to give your arm and your leg! But I realise That GW is a buiseness and are out to make money so this will not happen but I am a firm believer that if you offer a cheap or reasnible priced product you will get mote ppl buying your product and maybe make more money! But this is just some crazy ramblings from a mad gamer!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Gondrak
13-05-2012, 10:51
i always buy every codex and would love to see them in hardback.