PDA

View Full Version : Xenos medics?

Warp_touched
01-05-2006, 10:41
Alright so medicare in 40k, I've noticed, is a little undefined. Sure, the Imperium has Medics, apothecarys, doctors, surgeons etc. But what about like the Tau or Eldar? I imagine they must have something, you cant just leave the wounded lying around then just die after being winged.
The only real lead I have on medicare is based off Firewarrior, when your back on your ship. Theres a few wounded, but there just covered in blood, chillen out.
Does anyone know anything more?

ArtificerArmour
01-05-2006, 10:59
The closest I think are the Dark Eldar and their, uhm...I forget their name :p. Oh, and obviously da Orks hav der mad doks!!

Mikko
01-05-2006, 11:13
I imagine Tau Fire warriors apply first aid in the field and then get the wounded back to the nearest medical facility, manned by Earth and Water castes. Pretty much how it works IRL.

RampagingRavener
01-05-2006, 11:24
The closest I think are the Dark Eldar and their, uhm...I forget their name :p. Oh, and obviously da Orks hav der mad doks!!

Haemonculi. TBH, I don't see them acting as Doctors at all...the idea being that if you're wounded and going to die, then you are weak, its your own fault, and you deserve it. If your wounded and survive, then good for you, you are a strong member of the race, go have a cookie.

They might administer aid to the higher ranking Kabal members, such as the Archons and Drachons, but mostly I think they're just torturers.

ZAChos
01-05-2006, 12:35
Eldar have like nano-bots I think. The warp spiders are named after something that teleports throughout wraithbone structures and fixes them when damaged etc. I believe it was a vehichle upgrade you could buy in 2nd ed. It would be sensible for them to have a similar thing for hurted eldars, and I would imagine the seers would also help them out.

calicojack
01-05-2006, 12:36
Taui almost certainly have medics as such, who as non-coms would not take to the field, but the setup would be more akin to the American television show MASH, but without the infighting [grins]. Wounded troops get moved to medical facility after decisive victory.

With the Eldar, it's likely the Warlocks and Bonesingers who act as field medics, with those pursuing the Path of the Medical Assistant taking care of the wounded back on the Craftworld. Whilst in the field, those Eldar would be busily acting the role of Guardian, and likely have separated the combat parts of their mind and moved them to the fore.

Kroot, I imagine, see the Shapers doing much of the Medical duties, although that's more Shamanic culture than is guarenteed in their background, it still seems suitable. And of course, if a Kroot is maimed beyond recovery, they simply take a chunk for later, so that his [or her?] genetics aren't lost to the Kindred.

Lyinar
01-05-2006, 12:44
Hmmm... Fio'vre "Kroothawk-eye" Pierce? ;)

I just imagine the Earth Caste, being the people who build and fix stuff, would also have a medical career-path for its members.

And I do think that the "MASH" approach would definitely fit the Tau quite well.

Stormwarningz
01-05-2006, 13:31
A very interesting subject. and if one army has a medic then why the hell don't they all.

I guess they put the Marine Apothercary in to help new players as I find that most new comers go for the Space Marines.

calicojack
01-05-2006, 14:52
Humans would seem to be the army that (a) still cares about whether its soldiers survive, but (b) really just cares that they keep fighting, rather than that they actually heal. Thus, humans have Battlefield medics. Correction. Humans and Orks [painboyz do perform battlefield "repairs"]. Tau and Eldar [all types] would collect and heal [or experiment on] the fallen, Chaos would watch where you fell and then leave you [except for your geneseed] and trust to the Powers to choose if you survive. Necrons teleport casualties out for repair. Kroot would triage and collect after the battle [or take a bite back home at least]. Who is left?

xt828
01-05-2006, 15:31
Nids leave them for later consumption

Mikko
01-05-2006, 15:34
Of course, Tau would be the most concerned with survival and medicare, what with them having no expendable troops, no excess population to call on for reserves, being damn dirty hippies and supposed to actually care about these things, and all... :)

Eldar would also be short on people and thus probably inclined to care well for their wounded.

Kymar
01-05-2006, 16:21
I've wondered about the lack of Xeno medics a-many-times and the only thing I can think of is difference in toughness/regeneration. Orks & Marines are big tough T4 creatures and both are known for their high rate of regeneration / organ redunancy. Any other type of patient would not be able to recover quickly enough to be useful in battle, even with the best medical technology. (okay maybe with uber-high tech medical science, but if Eldar/Tau had that, they would not be so frail). *dreams of genetically modified aspect warriors*

The only problem I have is that standard Imperial forces can have medics, though I suppose that is just for dramatic reasons. For what is more heroic then a mere human shrugging off death and jumping back in to battle?

calicojack
01-05-2006, 17:30
Mechanically, as well, the Imperial Guard medic relies on the armour taking most of the damage for the poor victim - after all, an IG medic merely allows for a re-rolled armour save. Anything with better penetration than your flak/carapace means that you won't be fighting with that severed wrist/shattered leg/head wound. Light first aid.

Orks have the most "on scene aggressive" medics, able to get someone up and running. Well, all save the Necron nano-medics. More mechanics than medics there, 'though. Chaos apothecaries seem more interested in on-site experimentation of drugs on the victim than in getting them back together for the fight [mmm Gift of Chaos?]. And yes, the one I forgot _was_ Tyranids. They eat their wounded even more aggressively than do the Kroot.

In fact, check the forgeworld Rippers bases. Sometimes they don't even wait for the injured to become injured. They just start eating early.