PDA

View Full Version : Deploying inside a building

Spudlow
14-05-2012, 06:18
We had a game last week where there was a building halfway inside of one players deployment zone. The player on that side wanted to place a unit in the building during deployment and, of course, considerable debate followed.

Does anyone know of any FAQs or Errata on this? This wasn't Watchtower so don't worry with those rules.

It seems fair that if a structure was entirely inside your deployment area, you could deploy inside of it though we couldn't find a specific rule saying if you could or couldn't.

We've got our share of opinions on what we could do, I was just wondering if anyone knew for certain. Thanks

RanaldLoec
14-05-2012, 06:36
If its in your deployment zone a unit can deploy in the building.

If its not in your deployment zone you can't deploy in the building. Unless you have the scout special rule
The only terrain you can't deploy in is impassable terrain.

Artinam
14-05-2012, 12:17
Note that the building my be wholy inside your deployment zone, if its sticking out of your zone for even a little bit you cannot deploy inside.

Spudlow
14-05-2012, 13:27
Note that the building my be wholy inside your deployment zone, if its sticking out of your zone for even a little bit you cannot deploy inside.

I'm looking for the reference section that shows this. Anyone know where it is?

theunwantedbeing
14-05-2012, 13:33
I'm looking for the reference section that shows this. Anyone know where it is?

It's probably not specifically stated anywhere.
You have to deploy inside the deployment zone, you're not allowed to deploy partially in...being in a building doesn't exempt you from that rule.

Mr_Rose
14-05-2012, 14:00
Yeah, if you're in a building your unit's footprint effectively becomes that of the building so, if the building is partially outside of your DZ, the unit is partially outside of the DZ and that's just not allowed without a specific exception like the Scouts rule.

GodlessM
14-05-2012, 15:06
There is no such rule stating that the building's footprint is that of the unit garrisoning it.

Scalebug
14-05-2012, 15:21
There is no such rule stating that the building's footprint is that of the unit garrisoning it.

Well, no, not explicitly written out as such, but the rules for shooting and spellcasting at/from, and enemy assaulting it makes it effectively this.

GodlessM
14-05-2012, 18:35
Effective this and this are not the same thing though. You measure to the building for all intents and purposes for magic, rules, shooting, etc. but it is never explicitly stated that the unit is at every point of the building. I've never someone dispute the right to deploy in a building even if partly outside the deployment zone for this very reason.

Scalebug
14-05-2012, 20:10
I'm not arguing against you there, was just pointing out that the net result of various rules comes to us treating the building "as" the unit.

What it comes down to is in the end is that whenever you get an advantage (Which we must really agree on it being, even if there are downsides to being in a building too, the good outweigh the bad) that you were not explicitly written out "entitled" to, sensible players get vary. You have your deployment zone, you are supposed to deploy in it. Now this building got you a couple of "free" inches, there is something fishy about this, isn't it? Now that unit of handgunners start in range for a turn one salvo, instead of always just out of it, as the scenario assumes they are.

Around here we don't allow it, but we are also avoiding setting up buildings halfway in a deployment zone, so it doesn't really come up.

Lord Inquisitor
15-05-2012, 02:47
Effective this and this are not the same thing though. You measure to the building for all intents and purposes for magic, rules, shooting, etc. but it is never explicitly stated that the unit is at every point of the building. I've never someone dispute the right to deploy in a building even if partly outside the deployment zone for this very reason.

So where is the unit then? I think the onus is on you to show from the rules that the unit is contained wholly within the portion of the building that is within your deployment zone.

I've seen this come up before and while I've seen people assume that you can place models in a building providing it is partially within your deployment zone, my feeling is very much that you cannot do this if part of the building is outside your deployment zone as effectively this means placing the unit outside the zone. The unit is, to all intents and purposes, within the entire area of the building.

Spudlow
15-05-2012, 08:28
Well, it doesn't look like there's a specific answer for this but most people seem to be affirming my initial thoughts on the matter.

I'm going to have to use Lord Inquisitor's quote when I have to justify my position. It's just to snazzy!

I think the onus is on you to show from the rules that the unit is contained wholly within the portion of the building that is within your deployment zone.

Thanks for the responses all :)

T10
15-05-2012, 11:05
It seems to me that the deciding factor is that the unit in the building is effectively "less distant" from the enemy deployment zone than it is allowed to be.

-T10

Scalebug
15-05-2012, 18:40
Exactly, that is what should raise your suspicion that it is probably not intended to be allowed...

Artinam
17-05-2012, 11:19
Doesn't the entering a building rules state that the unit spreads out in the building. This could support the view that the unit is essentially the footprint of the building.