PDA

View Full Version : GW Sheffield events centre closing, need help

minibutmighty
01-05-2006, 16:08
A bit of news for gamers in the south yorkshire area. GW gaming and events centre will be closing as of the 22nd May.

This is a bit of bad news for the dysartes.com gaming club as we will now be in need of new venues for our gaming nights, if anyone can offer any suggestions, we would be very gratful.

RevEv
01-05-2006, 22:31
Now that didn't last long - just over a year and GW pull the plug.

I always thought that it was an idea ahead of its time and, with its proximity to Nottingham and the facilities at Lenton, too much in one region.

A pity really.

Hlokk
02-05-2006, 11:43
Well, what about the octagon?

Failing that, You might want to try sheffield hallam uni's union. although its shut over summer, each of the pods can be hired individually on a thursday/tuesday night.

See: http://www.hallamunion.com/venuehire/default.asp

Also, if you try hallam, have a word with someone about hiring a classroom in the owen building. Their usually free from 5-9pm, and you should be able to use one with no bother (Unless you get sandra on the phone, in which case, hang up)

Im also sure I heard All saints secondary school, by the back of the train station, was open to doing stuff like this.

geoffkemp
02-05-2006, 12:23
That is really no surprise, though I though something like that would be better served in the sout of the UK or up over the border maybe ??

With it in Shefield, it was too close to Nottingham IMO,

Hlokk
02-05-2006, 12:27
With it in Shefield, it was too close to Nottingham IMO,
another problems was that I couldn't find the bloody thing. Seriously, I had 3 different staff members give me directions, and I must have spent 2 hours on that estate looking for the thing.

Combine that with its wonky opening hours (Open all weekends and mondays or something) and it seems a tad daft.

Keravin
02-05-2006, 13:00
It's not been long planned as they are still advertising events there in WD through until August.

The Ape
02-05-2006, 13:50
I must say im suprised they are closing the "Tiger" centre. Would be interesting to hear why exactly - and i mean fact, not supposition.

minibutmighty
03-05-2006, 11:42
Thanks for the help Hlokk :) If you guys ahve any further suggestions please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks again

Grimtuff
03-05-2006, 12:07
I must say im suprised they are closing the "Tiger" centre. Would be interesting to hear why exactly - and i mean fact, not supposition.

It was deemed to be no longer financially viable. Nuff said.

It was a good store, but as Hlokk said, I myself and few others spent about 2 hours trying to to find it as well :rolleyes:

minibutmighty
03-05-2006, 14:05
One of our members did a pictorial view of the route from the meadowhall interchange. If you are still interested in attending in the next fortnight then the guide is Here (http://www.dysartes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2990) Its only 10 mins walk from meadowhall.

Osbad
03-05-2006, 14:31
Would be interesting to hear why exactly - and i mean fact, not supposition.

I know no facts, but clearly there must be financial reasons for such an abrupt about-turn. I.e. there must be less income being generated by the project than was expected. As it was a never-before-tried venture by GW (I mean GW never tried it before, I am aware other independents have tried the "store/gaming centre-in-an-industrial-estate" model - such as www.gamesofwar.co.uk) then they wouldn't have any real idea how popular it was going to be before they undertook the venture.

As to *why* demand was insufficient to make it viable, then that is a different issue. There are as many different theories as to why (or even "whether") GW's takings are falling as there are members of Warseer...

Hlokk
03-05-2006, 15:38
Here (http://www.dysartes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2990)

Apparently I've been banned from the forum, which is some achievement as I never posted/registered there. :rolleyes:

Can't really say im bothered about attending that much, although am I right in assuming Rob is still the manager there?

minibutmighty
03-05-2006, 15:56
No Hlokk, You individually are not banned from the forum.:angel: Its just that Dysartes.com had some monkey at SHU spamming and generally warranting a banning. Unfortunatly our admin has yet to get it into his head that he has managed to ban most of the adsetts centre in the process. If you try the computer rooms in mensforth or level 2 atrium you should be ok.

Hlokk
03-05-2006, 16:28
Ah, fair play. Its just that he's managed to ban around 400 computers :eek:

Will try the mensforth tonight.

minibutmighty
05-05-2006, 10:08
Well we do have a sort of happy ending for the dysartes club. In june we are moving to patriot comics as a temporary measure. Details still unconfirmed.

Lardidar
05-05-2006, 13:25
Wonder what Rob will be doing for the company now his store is closing .... he was my manager when I worked in the York store .... Good guy.

Hlokk
06-05-2006, 11:02
Interestingly enough, I got an e-mail about GW opening a gaming centre in Covent Garden:

COVENT GARDEN
NEW HOBBY CENTRE OPENS!

Saturday 6th May sees the opening of Games Workshop's fantastic new store in the heart of London's pedestrianised piazza - Covent Garden!

Unit 33, The Market, Covent Garden,
London WC2E 8RF

Perhaps this isnt a case of the hobby centre not working, rather than relocating resources to an area where there are more customers.

@minibutmighty: my girlfriend dragged me down to patriot comics last week, insisting it was the laser tag place because "It has an american flag in the window" :rolleyes:

shas'o sodit
01-06-2006, 11:16
Wonder what Rob will be doing for the company now his store is closing .... he was my manager when I worked in the York store .... Good guy.

we're still unsure as to his fate, mainly as he was holiday in the final weeks, but the closing cost 3 people their jobs

we do have 1 saving grace, a local gaming shop has started looking at the possiablty of opening their own gaming centre, which will house the Dysartes.club