PDA

View Full Version : A question about Ludwig Schwartzhelm...

Von Breitholz
15-05-2012, 13:27
My question is, is he worth his points? As I am building a cavalrybased army, I will move around a bit with probably two units of knights and a unit of greatswords... and maby a unit of demigryphs... I was thinking of adding LS as he have a "hold the line"-bouble of 18" and is a bsb... but he is quite expensive pointswise... what do you think???

Tuttivillus
15-05-2012, 13:31
I think 18" BSB is worth that points. And he is not that expensive after all.

Tayrod
15-05-2012, 14:27
Well compared to a captain you pay 78 points for +1 WS, +6 BSB range, Killing blow, and re-roll to wound.

Wesser
15-05-2012, 16:20
He's probably the only character apart from Karl Franz who's worth his points.

That he doesnt have a shield or a ward save does make him a bit more vulnerable than most BsB's though.

In a cavalry heavy where your army is more likely to be spread out as well he'll make an ace choice

Freman Bloodglaive
16-05-2012, 06:46
I beg to differ. All the characters (except Markus and Volkmar) can be worth their points under the right circumstances.

Kurt is a little expensive, but the combination of Runefang and Laurels of Victory mean he can lay out 8 points of combat resolution by himself. He's at his best in a unit of Reikguard knights of course.
Marius is very cheap for four Runefang attacks, and he's even crazy for the extra fun that involves (and potential 5 attacks). A General with Runefang, full plate and a barded warhorse is 213 points and Marius gives you +1WS and +1A for 7 points.
Luthor Huss is even cheaper than he used to be, and better.

The only real problem is that almost all of them are mounted, meaning they work best paired with cavalry units.

Von Breitholz
07-06-2012, 21:34
Well, thanks all who ansvered... hes in my list now and does a solid job I might add...

ftayl5
07-06-2012, 23:24
He's probably the only character apart from Karl Franz who's worth his points.

Actually I think Luthor Huss is very well costed.

Ludwig is worth it for the 18" hold your ground. The other things are nice too.

Jezbot
08-06-2012, 02:40
Actually I think Luthor Huss is very well costed.

Ludwig is worth it for the 18" hold your ground. The other things are nice too.

I agree on Luther, I think the stuff Luthor gives you for his point upgrade is well worth it.

Ludwig is a tougher case. I mean the 18" Hold Your Ground range is great, worth 40-50 points by itself. Then for another 40 odd points you get killing blow and reroll to wound, which is probably about right, so you'd think you're ahead of the game. Problem is what Ludwig doesn't bring, and doesn't give the option of taking - any kind of defence. With a 2+ save and no ward he's quite squishy for a BSB. I guess you could try to get him a ward save from a warrior priest, though.

snyggejygge
08-06-2012, 06:59
Having a basic 2+ armorsave is usually enough protection, it's what my beasts of Chaos bsb has, my VC only has a 3+, I have no problems with keeping them alive, I think you underestimate the save.