PDA

View Full Version : Big and Nasty - Ogres(2500pts)

kaimarion
16-05-2012, 13:01
Well a few days ago I picked up a copy of the Ogre Kingdoms army book and I've spent that time pouring over the book trying to come up with a decent list. The main focus of this list for me was to get all of my favourite models into it (stonehorn, iron blaster, firebelly) without crippling my armies performance.

Would the bulls be better off as 3 units of 6?

So far I haven't had a chance to use this list as I am still gathering all of the models for the army at the moment but I'll hopefully be using this for the first time next week with some luck.

Anyway any C&C is appreciated.

LORDS 283pts
Slaughter master-283pts
Iron fist, rock eye, dispell scroll

HEROS 606pts
Hunter-434pts
Armour of Destiny, iron fist, stonehorn

Bruiser-172pts
BSB, look-out gnoblar, iron fist, heavy armour, helm of discord

CORE 740pts
Iron guts-432pts
9, Standard(gleaming pennant), look-out gnoblar, musician

Bulls-308pts
9, standard, musician, iron fists

SPECIAL 280pts
2x Mournfang-280pts
2, heavy armour, iron fists

RARE 590pts
2x Iron Blaster-340pts

Thundertusk-250pts

TOTAL= 2499

Bigman
16-05-2012, 17:30
Well a few days ago I picked up a copy of the Ogre Kingdoms army book and I've spent that time pouring over the book trying to come up with a decent list. The main focus of this list for me was to get all of my favourite models into it (stonehorn, iron blaster, firebelly) without crippling my armies performance.

Would the bulls be better off as 3 units of 6?

So far I haven't had a chance to use this list as I am still gathering all of the models for the army at the moment but I'll hopefully be using this for the first time next week with some luck.

Anyway any C&C is appreciated.

LORDS 283pts
Slaughter master-283pts
Iron fist, rock eye, dispell scroll

HEROS 554pts
Hunter-434pts
Armour of Destiny, iron fist, stonehorn

FireBelly-120pts

CORE 626pts
Bulls-318pts
9, full command, iron fists

Bulls-308pts
9, standard, musician, iron fists

SPECIAL 420pts
3x Mournfang-420pts
2, heavy armour, iron fists

RARE 590pts
2x Iron Blaster-340pts

Thundertusk-250pts

TOTAL= 2473

Do you want to keep the thundertusk as well as the Stonehorn? If not then considering your numbers, I'd be tempted to exchange it for some more bulls and a couple of dogs for WM hunting / redirecting.

kaimarion
16-05-2012, 18:12
The Thundertusk/Stonehorn models are far too nice looking to only have one in the army.
I was wanting to get some sabertusks in for warmachine hunting but I can't seem to find the points.

meowser
16-05-2012, 19:55
kudos to you for running both of the big gribblies.

If anything, I'd drop an ironblaster and/or mournfang unit if you wanted more bodies

kaimarion
16-05-2012, 21:10
I'm not too sure what I would do with the extra 104pts after ditching a unit of Mournfang and adding some sabertusks, any idea of what would be a good choice?

Maybe get a Butcher and give the Slaughter Master lore of heavens?

meowser
16-05-2012, 21:28
What you're really lacking is BSB, which ogres need. But you don't have enough pts left in heroes for either a Butcher or a BSB, nor do you have room in rare to drop an IB and take rare Thundertusk instead of the hunter.

This sounds a bit wacky, but maybe swap the Firebelly for a BSB, and take a 2nd slaughtermaster! Now that would be nasty.... Bulking out the Bulls and/or taking a small support unit of 3-4 would be another option

10_minute_pie
16-05-2012, 22:44
This army is going to have a ton of problems with panic (i'd love to face this with WOC lvl 4 heavens + Hell cannon). I wouldn't even consider adding in cats (i.e. giving more chances to panic) until you fit in a BSB, or the +1 LD banner. To that end, I'd turn one unit of bulls into guts with the aforementioned banner (drop the size of the other Bull unit for points) and turn the fire belly into a BSB. If you are set on using the firebelly model, either have it count as your slaughtermaster, or keep him and take the gleeming pendant on the Guts. You could definitely find some more points by dropping an iron blaster, or a single Mournfang (go one unit of 3, and one of 4). Furthermore, depending on how competitive you are playing, it might be advisable to do this anyway. 3 fang units and 2 blasters is dead hard, and many players will feel its a bit beyond the scope of a friendly game

kaimarion
19-05-2012, 20:30
The first post has been updated with the new changes to the list.
Pretty much:
+Iron guts
+Bruiser(BSB)
-Mournfang unit
-Firebelly

Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated. Panic isn't something I really thought of, mainly as I'm used to using Warriors chaos and daemons which don't really have a problem with panic so it slipped my mind somewhat.

kaimarion
20-05-2012, 17:48
I managed to get a quick game with this list today against a friends Tomb Kings, the game went on for roughly 2 turns before he conceded though that was mainly due to time constraints and he wanted to get a second game in against another friends Lizard men before the club shut.

As for the actual game it was somewhat short ending on the second turn. At the end I had wiped out a unit of 20 skeletons, 20(ish) tomb guard, a necrosphinx, 2 ushabti and 2 skeleton archers. Losing only a single Mournfang and an ogre bull.

Not too bad a result for an army I've never used before.

woodster17
20-05-2012, 17:56
Tell ushow you get on with the Hunter on the Stonehorn. Been wanting to run it for a little while. Also, I'm not surprised about you're TK domination given your 40K W/D/L stats. 41/1/1 :O Wouldn't really fancy taken you on. I'm with the others on panic, if things go slightly wrong you don't really have the numbers to deal with it. Futher down the line I would look to add more bodies to the list, some sabertusks too for re-directing. Best of luck though.

kaimarion
20-05-2012, 18:53
Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I'll get the chance to use this list down at my local GW and from there I'll get a good feel for the army. The Stonehorn/Hunter seemed to be really quite good though I'll see how I get on in future games but it's far too awesome a model not to use.

The total(40k) is roughly 66/2/1 though I've not really bothered with updating my tally the past few months as our local group of players aren't very challenging to play against bar 1 or 2 but that's a whole other discussion unto itself.