PDA

View Full Version : Best unit to represent werewolves for Vampire Counts?

kabalite
16-05-2012, 18:20
Hey everyone ! I'm currently working on a Vampire Counts army and i really want to include a unit of Werewolves since its a Strigoi themed army and i am wondering what unit would best represent them rules wise?

Iron_Lord
16-05-2012, 18:28
Hey everyone ! I'm currently working on a Vampire Counts army and i really want to include a unit of Werewolves since its a Strigoi themed army and i am wondering what unit would best represent them rules wise?

In Storm of Magic games Skinwolves from Monstrous Arcana would be perfect- especially if they weren't changed when going from online rules to book rules.

sknich
16-05-2012, 18:30
Personally I would go with Crypt Horrors. Seems logical that Werewolves would have Regen, they are on foot but good movement, and poisoned attacks could be the werewolves bite taking another victim.

Tuttivillus
16-05-2012, 18:30
Yep. Go with Forge World ones.

Darnok
16-05-2012, 18:43
FW Skinwolve models, using Crypt Horror rules. If you have the cash, get Monstrous Arcanum for their rules - but counting them as Crypt Horrors is perfectly acceptable.

sugnathefeeble
16-05-2012, 19:23
Crypt horrors and use green stuff to make the fur and snouts

Malorian
16-05-2012, 19:58
I've seen good conversions with rat ogres and wolf heads from O&G.

Urgat
16-05-2012, 20:15
Like everybody else, crypt horrors. And yeah, the skinwolves or rat ogre+wolf conversions both look great. Though I'm not sure I get the "strigois, so werewolves", but never mind that :p
If it were me (and my werewolf fetish), I'd only put one werewolf, and it'd be the vampire general :p

SotF
16-05-2012, 21:04
My current Varg is a werewolf, works pretty well, though part of that may be because I started the list with the previous book.

Deprive
16-05-2012, 21:21
I will have to see about a picture later but I used a minotaur as a base( modified his feet so it looked like he had more toes like he should). The wolf head from the thunder wolf kit is a perfect fit on the Minotaur body. With very minor work the tail also fits really well. For hands the best I could find are from crypt horrors.

Lord Dan
16-05-2012, 21:45
Werewolves would fit more with a Von Carstein list, being wolf people and all. Crypt horrors, I feel, were designed with strigoi in mind.

Ebon
16-05-2012, 22:37
If you can find them on ebay, there used to be a regiment of reknown that were werewolves. They were called "Bearstruck" or something like that.
Failing that, I'd suggest converting rat ogres with wolf heads and tails.

Lord Dan
16-05-2012, 22:41
Those were roughtly man-sized, and looked more like marauders than werewolves.

logan054
16-05-2012, 23:36
Personally I would go with Crypt Horrors. Seems logical that Werewolves would have Regen, they are on foot but good movement, and poisoned attacks could be the werewolves bite taking another victim.

I really like your thinknig, I current use a Varg as a werewolf and want to expand the the theme some units of werewolves, just a shame I can't really find a suitable army to base a werewolf theme around :(

Athelassan
17-05-2012, 00:39
Those were roughtly man-sized, and looked more like marauders than werewolves.
They were also, as the name suggested, were-bears rather than werewolves (or at least their leader was).

The Skinwolves - being basically werewolves - seem to be exactly what you're after.

Plexi
17-05-2012, 00:50
PP and reaper make some fantastic werewolf models without the hassle of converting.

Gop
17-05-2012, 04:20
got a link for those Plexi?

RTGamer
17-05-2012, 06:14
Check out Games day North America on Facebook for some awesome Dire Wolf Crypt horror Conversion that look epic!

Would link but unsure if ti is against forum rules.

Darnok
17-05-2012, 07:21
They were also, as the name suggested, were-bears rather than werewolves (or at least their leader was).

As far as I remember, only the leader was actually a were-something (bear I think). The rest of the unit were more or less basic marauders.

PP and reaper make some fantastic werewolf models without the hassle of converting.

PP do this (http://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/14650-1-show-circle_orboros_warpwolf_heavy_warbeast.html), that one (http://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/25851-1-show-feral_pureblood_stalker_warpwolf_kit_plastic.html) (plastic) and these (http://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/20388-1-show-circle_orboros_warpborn_skinwalkers_3.html) that would possibly fit. Hordes, Circle of Orboros. The Reaper models are so-so, I guess you'd have to check their range by your own.

Artinam
17-05-2012, 08:28
For those wondering about the Dogs of war regiment here is a picture:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ23vh31nYdI8SiddPMc_hsDRDQZBnqj VUUmVyZasDpxbPAVC1jM1CpTs6Y

I agree, with the exception of Beorg they aren't really what your looking for.

ogretyrant
17-05-2012, 11:11
When I come round to updating my VC I plan on using my Zombie Werewolves from Rackham as crypt horors, the models are spot on for them I feel.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Urgat
17-05-2012, 11:21
When I come round to updating my VC I plan on using my Zombie Werewolves from Rackham as crypt horors, the models are spot on for them I feel.

People will want to look for "wolfen zombie" if they want to see those, btw.

ogretyrant
17-05-2012, 11:28
D'oh my bad lol!

Tayrod
17-05-2012, 12:47
I've seen good conversions with rat ogres and wolf heads from O&G.

Here you are. I think someone here on Warseer made them (can't recall who though). Superb work, nonetheless.
(Just for the record, the picture is his, not mine, I just kept it saved on my computer)

pointyteeth
17-05-2012, 17:32
If you want to go heavy into the werewolf theme, you could always make ghouls as small werewolves and crypt horrors as large werewolves. The small werewolves could be converted using the werewolf heads from Maxmini (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_23&products_id=97) on either ghoul, marauder, or beastmen bodies. The larger werewolves could be made from crypt horrors or rat ogres (or other monstrous creatures) with dire wolf, wolf, thunderwolf heads and tails. For characters, Reaper has a nice selection of werewolves, as do some other smaller companies (I think GW also has a nice werewolf that is now OOP from way back in the day).

Ebon
18-05-2012, 07:09

Yeah, I'm just going to call that one a senior moment.