PDA

View Full Version : Why the names??

Vanwatalath
06-06-2005, 08:51
Ok, long time member of the old forums here, used to be called spanky. Dont know if this is the right place but here goes: WHY THE NAMES?

..more specifically the wood elf character names, i mean highborn and noble? Could GW be a wee bit more original? Dont know about the spellcasters but anybody have any idea why we're ripping off the dark elf names? Cheers.

squiggoth
06-06-2005, 10:55
Uhhhh... It does beat "champion", "hero", "lord", "wizard champion", "wizard hero" and "wizard lord" any day of the week ;)

Jedi152
06-06-2005, 11:02
I don't understand highborn myself. I didn't see the WE as a heirarchical society really, and i didn't think an elf could be born into a position of power.

Neknoh
06-06-2005, 11:08
I think that the Highborn and Noble might be a remnant of the old ways, before the Druchii and the Asur departed to Ulthuan as a united Kin without their different names.

Before the Phoenix King.

The Wood Elves where the first to split up from the main people, the first to take a new name.

Jester
06-06-2005, 12:00
The fact that they live in woods doesn't mean that they are hippies.

*waiting for the "sure they are!" spam to pass by*

Or do you think that an aristocratic colonial society who decides to show the home country the finger always develops into a democratic system? The Yanks did, and cudos to them for it, but Athel Loren isn't exactly the US.

Of course, you are free to call them "Old money heir" and "Wall Street Wonder" instead. :D

Queers, Ben

Lady's Champion
06-06-2005, 12:04
Didn't Dark Elves split off first? War of the Beard was AFTER the Sundering was it not?

Rabid Bunny 666
06-06-2005, 12:15
i think the welvsies retreated into the woods, dunno when

Neknoh
06-06-2005, 12:20
The Wood Elves did not follow the other to Ulthuan, they stayed in the Old World and took refuge to Athel Loren when the first great war against Chaos drew near, at least, that is what I know

Galonthar
06-06-2005, 12:40
hmm.... the war of the beard must have been after the sundering,.... wasn`t the WOTB started by those druchii??

and (back ontopic..":P) the names are crap indeed,....
the normal core, special and rare choices still have decent names, but the characters,... :wtf:
for instance, why does GW call the spellcasters "mages", and not something more nature-like, like "druid" or "elementalist",.. or something.
and the forest lord (I refuse to call 'em highborn) could have a cooler too
....like....
....*thinks*....
....well....
....*thinks even harder*....
....euhm....
it is hard indeed to think of a decent (and more important: woodie :p ) name for a WE lord,.... maybe "glade ruler/captian".. or something

Griefbringer
06-06-2005, 12:43
Didn't Dark Elves split off first? War of the Beard was AFTER the Sundering was it not?

Correct - the order of events is

1.) Civil war in Ulthuan, the losing side departs to Naggaroth
2.) War of the Beard, most elves departing their Old World colonies
3.) Remaining Old World elves hide up in the forests and start a new lifestyle

risK
06-06-2005, 13:00
Spellsinger and Spellweaver have been mentioned for the magiccasting characters

Galonthar
06-06-2005, 13:12

hmm... that`s better,.. in fact they are one of the best spellcaster names I`ve heard so far... :eek: (but still I prefer druids,....`m stubborn.. :p )

Eldacar
06-06-2005, 14:44
I must agree, Druid sounds a lot better.

As to the Woodies, they broke off after the War of the Beard, when the High Elves had to retreat to Ulthuan because Malekith invaded. The Woodies didn't want to leave the forests in the Old World, so they stayed behind.

Vanwatalath
06-06-2005, 15:18
Cool thanks for all the replies guys, gues we'll have to wait for the army book to come out then we can complain some more ;)

darn spellweaver was the name i was gonna use for my mages. Think it came from one of the eric von darkmoor book...(cant remember the author)

Lady's Champion
06-06-2005, 16:50
exactly

so maybe in ULTHUAN they used to be called highborn and nobles, but changed after the woodies left yet DE and WE retained

Puppyblue
07-06-2005, 04:52
There was nothing wrong with forest lord or Glade Guardian tho.
GW fixing what isn't broken... :(

Lady Bastet
07-06-2005, 05:07
Spellsinger and Spellweaver sound strangely comical to me almost like a name you would give to a sewing machine. I have an image of a Wood Elf Mage knitting some magic mittens of power, or the woolly jumper of protection.

Malakai
07-06-2005, 06:03
I like the titles. I'm sure there are alot more things in Wood Elf culture held over from when they were Asur.

Malakai

Castigator
07-06-2005, 08:18
hmm... that`s better,.. in fact they are one of the best spellcaster names I`ve heard so far... (but still I prefer druids,....`m stubborn..

Why's that?
Druids sort of seem to imply the old Gaelic/Celtic Order of white-robed humans with golden sickles, buring mistletoe at Stonehenge...

Don't think that fits the Wood Elf army at all. (but that may be just me)

Eldacar
07-06-2005, 08:44
so maybe in ULTHUAN they used to be called highborn and nobles, but changed after the woodies left yet DE and WE retained
Elven nobles became Princes, because if they had one of the swords Aenarion had forged to combat Chaos, then they were classed as a Prince. The Highborn and Noble titles simply weren't used anymore, as all the Highborn and Nobles had the swords that marked them as Princes.

Galonthar
07-06-2005, 12:43
Why's that?
Druids sort of seem to imply the old Gaelic/Celtic Order of white-robed humans with golden sickles, buring mistletoe at Stonehenge...

Don't think that fits the Wood Elf army at all. (but that may be just me)

hmm..... never played warcraft III,.. or world of warcraft then have you? (and I`m forgetting quite some now if I`m not mistaken...)

the druids I meant are, spellcasters who are one with nature,.... a sort of spellcasting rangers,.. you could say

aznsk8s87
07-06-2005, 13:01
i always imagined the druids to be the caretakers of the wild beasts... and they could control them, for war purposes.

malisteen
09-06-2005, 00:35
I actually don't mind. The hero names give a bit of a link between the elven peoples, and I see no problem with that. As for their society- oth the other elven societies function under a very strict hierarchy. Wood elves have a king and queen who hold court in Loren. I see no reason to think they would not also have nobles and princes, even given the special nature of their rulers.

Anyway, Noble beats 'Glade Guardian' in my book any day, at least so long as there's a unit called 'glade guard' in the army. Forest Lord wasn't too bad though, although I still prefer highborn. I'm sure better names are out there, though.

Hellebore
09-06-2005, 06:52
They are just linking all the elven groups together.

The Elves use those names, as do the dark elves (although I think the DE use Lordling or something).

Having them all use similar names ties the race together, showing that they aren't so different after all.

hellebore

macbeth
09-06-2005, 08:44
About druids, if I'm not mistaken, this is how the jade sorcerers of the Empire are already called, isn't it?

Sgt John Keel
09-06-2005, 09:40
the druids I meant are, spellcasters who are one with nature,.... a sort of spellcasting rangers,.. you could say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid

Read this. I wouldn't exactly take WCIII as a credible source for anything considering it's a game made to entertain, not educate.

As for the topic at hand: I like the Spellweaver and Spellsinger names. They stimulate my fantasy.

/Adrian

Gethalorre
10-06-2005, 19:03
I agree, spellweaver and spellsinger are indeed rather decent. However, instead of Highborn maybe Forestborn? Or is that just utterly rubbish?

Kelroth
10-06-2005, 19:49
Mmm... Woods-based Elves with Spellweavers as mages... has Gav been hitting the Raymond E. Feist lately?

Vanwatalah, see above for the author's name you were looking for.

Crazy Harborc
11-06-2005, 02:04
New terms/names/titles for the Woodies???? Yeah whatever, I'll likely give them a try.

One of the GREAT things about Army Builder is being able to pick names for armies, characters and units if we want to. ;) For myself, I prefer to use the same titles/termswhatever for the characters, etc. for all my armies.

Vanwatalath
11-06-2005, 07:36
Mmm... Woods-based Elves with Spellweavers as mages... has Gav been hitting the Raymond E. Feist lately?

Vanwatalah, see above for the author's name you were looking for.

Ahhh yes thanks a mil, thats the name. All i remeber is Erik Von Darkmoor ;)

Forestborn does sound prett cool Gethalorre, maybe GW should pick it up...