PDA

View Full Version : Questions about unit size

monkey10120
18-05-2012, 01:01
I was watching a 10k br on youtube between o&g vs ogres. They has these huge hordes if units. 10x6 bulls, 5x~20goblins, another 10x12 goblins and 5x6 orc archers. I thought it would be better to split those groups into smaller ones.

What is a good unit size/max size?
I'm fairly new but I would do something like this:
(max sizes)
archers: 5x3 or 10x4
infantry: 5x4 or 10x5
calvary: 5x3 or 10x4

this would give me max number of attacks while giving me enough backup incase I lose a few in combat while not over doing it.

But after watching some reports I have been seeing unit sizes bigger than what I prefer quite a lot. Then I see then flee and get run down with 20 or so models left.

Malorian
18-05-2012, 01:26
I'm guessing that's my report ;)

Max size changes vasty with the game size and the table size. The more points that have to fit in a smaller space the more you need to focus power in one area.

You could go for a layered approach but really you typically end up throwing points away to no gain as your out matched.

monkey10120
18-05-2012, 01:54
I'm guessing that's my report ;)

Max size changes vasty with the game size and the table size. The more points that have to fit in a smaller space the more you need to focus power in one area.

You could go for a layered approach but really you typically end up throwing points away to no gain as your out matched.

lol actually it was. The name finally clicked. I'm watching some of your reports now. I could see why your hordes were so big. The board was packed with units.

I was mainly talking about other reports with units of 5-6 ranks. Usually only losing 1 rank and then being over run or putting it up against a horde losing all the attacks they could have had with 2 units of 3 ranks.

By the way great videos. Learning a good amount from you. Would be cool to see another 10 k fight :D

Malorian
18-05-2012, 12:16
I was suppose to have a big 10k of my lizardmen against empire, but the empire player seems to have gotten out of the hobby :(

Guess I could always toss it up on the local facebook group though.

monkey10120
18-05-2012, 13:05
I was suppose to have a big 10k of my lizardmen against empire, but the empire player seems to have gotten out of the hobby :(

Guess I could always toss it up on the local facebook group though.

that would have been awesome. I'm LM also. Wish I could afford an army if that size.