PDA

View Full Version : Always Strikes First

Vipoid
20-05-2012, 17:10
In the rulebook, it says that if a model with ASF is fighting an enemy with ASF, their attacks are made simultaneously and neither benefits from the rerolls.

I was wondering what exactly counts as "fighting"?

narrativium
20-05-2012, 17:22
If a model with ASF (A) is in close combat and base contact with two enemy models (B and C), one of which (B) has ASF, then it can choose which of the two to attack. The attacks of A and B will happen simultaneously, and before C attacks. B will attack A and will not benefit from re-rolls. If A attacks B, A does not benefit from re-rolls. If A attacks C, A benefits from re-rolls, so long as C is of equal/lower Initiative.

Banville
20-05-2012, 17:22
Okay, okay, I'll bite. Considering that ASF is limited to melee, I'd assume that the rule self-evidently refers to the combat resloution phase. Magic and shooting do not count and I don't really see what the confusion is.

What situation or interaction are you thinking about?

ninja'd - is the confusion for the OP what actually constitutes "fighting"?

Vipoid
20-05-2012, 17:45
What situation or interaction are you thinking about?

It's essentially the situation narrativium describes.

This situation came up recently:

CCC
GGGVGGG
GGGGGGG

C = High-Elf Character on Chariot
V = Vampire
G = Ghouls

The vampire and the high elf both had ASF.

I know that the vampire loses the rerolls for attacking the high-elf, but we weren't sure if the high-elf would also lose his rerolls if he attacked the ghouls, rather than the vampire.

My thought was that he would, since the vampire surely still counts as fighting him, and the ASF rule says that in that case neither model benefits from the reroll. However, I'm still relatively new to the game, so I thought I'd ask here.

T10
20-05-2012, 17:58
In the rulebook, it says that if a model with ASF is fighting an enemy with ASF, their attacks are made simultaneously and neither benefits from the rerolls.

I was wondering what exactly counts as "fighting"?

I don't think "fighting" is defined as a game mechanic. Surely any two models on opposing sides of a battle can be said to be "fighting" by virtue of being part of two opposing forces, even if they are on opposite sides of the table and do not actively take part in the battle.

However, within the context of resolving close combat attacks it is always clear which model is attacking who, and those models too can be said to be "fighting", even if the target model does not reciprocate with his own attacks.

It seems generally accepted that a model with ASF that attacks an enemy model without ASF will get the re-roll to hit (Initiative values permitting) even if he is in base contact with a different enemy model with ASF.

-T10

bad dice
20-05-2012, 23:27
It's essentially the situation narrativium describes.

This situation came up recently:

CCC
GGGVGGG
GGGGGGG

C = High-Elf Character on Chariot
V = Vampire
G = Ghouls

The vampire and the high elf both had ASF.

I know that the vampire loses the rerolls for attacking the high-elf, but we weren't sure if the high-elf would also lose his rerolls if he attacked the ghouls, rather than the vampire.

My thought was that he would, since the vampire surely still counts as fighting him, and the ASF rule says that in that case neither model benefits from the reroll. However, I'm still relatively new to the game, so I thought I'd ask here.

I would say no the HE are fighting the ghouls and so fufil the higher I asf rule
And the vampire is fighting the HE so he does not get the re-roll since they also have the AFS rule.

But this is a case where you could argue it either way depending on what you would take the word fighting to mean.
I guess they where better of writing the rule as follows.

If a model whit ASF is attacking a other model whit ASF he does not get to re-roll regardless of I value
Models whit ASF strike at the at the same time.

Vipoid
21-05-2012, 07:48
But this is a case where you could argue it either way depending on what you would take the word fighting to mean.
I guess they where better of writing the rule as follows.

If a model whit ASF is attacking a other model whit ASF he does not get to re-roll regardless of I value
Models whit ASF strike at the at the same time.

That would indeed have made it a lot clearer, but sadly that's not how the rule is written.