PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing question

monkey10120
21-05-2012, 04:01
So what if a unit flees and lands in the middle of a friendly unit or unit in combat? And if the answer is to move the model just outside the other unit, what if the battlefield is packed with models? Fleeing rules in the book font go into specifics

Artiee
21-05-2012, 04:52
BRB page 25 explains it. You would continue thou the units until you are no longer stop in a unit. The other stuff that happens to the units that you flee thou are also on page 25.

McCrunch
06-06-2012, 10:34
Hello there. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question regarding Flee and Pursue, and since I'm a newly registered user it seems that I can't create new threads. So hopefully someone will notice this old thread and can help me with my question.

A unit with 6 ranks breaks from combat and rolls 8 on it's flee distance. The pursuer rolls 7, so according to the actual rolls the pursuer doesn't catch the fleeing unit. But since the fleeing unit has 6 ranks, the pursuer will actually reach it if it moves 7 inches forward. So how does this work out? Is the unit wiped, does the pursuer automatically stop 1 inch away from the fleeing unit no matter what, or how? I can't seem to find anything regarding this in the rulebook or FAQ.

Thanks for any help in advance.

bad dice
06-06-2012, 11:02
Hello there. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question regarding Flee and Pursue, and since I'm a newly registered user it seems that I can't create new threads. So hopefully someone will notice this old thread and can help me with my question.

A unit with 6 ranks breaks from combat and rolls 8 on it's flee distance. The pursuer rolls 7, so according to the actual rolls the pursuer doesn't catch the fleeing unit. But since the fleeing unit has 6 ranks, the pursuer will actually reach it if it moves 7 inches forward. So how does this work out? Is the unit wiped, does the pursuer automatically stop 1 inch away from the fleeing unit no matter what, or how? I can't seem to find anything regarding this in the rulebook or FAQ.

Thanks for any help in advance.

That should make no diffrence at all.
You catch the unit if you roll same or more other wise your just te diffrence behind the unit.

narrativium
06-06-2012, 11:04
The pursuer doesn't catch the fleeing unit, so they stop 1" behind.

An example of a situation where this looks silly, but is still played right, is if you beat a deep, narrow unit like Bretonnian Knights, having charged them in the flank. They turn, they run away - but to make them fit, and to place the victorious unit 1" behind, you might have to move the pursuers backwards.

McCrunch
06-06-2012, 11:39
The pursuer doesn't catch the fleeing unit, so they stop 1" behind.

An example of a situation where this looks silly, but is still played right, is if you beat a deep, narrow unit like Bretonnian Knights, having charged them in the flank. They turn, they run away - but to make them fit, and to place the victorious unit 1" behind, you might have to move the pursuers backwards.

Alrighty, that was also what we ran with in our game, but we were still unsure if it was correct, thanks for clearing it up.

dms505
06-06-2012, 16:39
The rules like this one always bugged me. Mostly for something like a flank or rear fought unit. A unit that charged another on the side can sometimes be 3-4 inches closer to the fleeing unit depending on the width yet still gets gimped on the roll if they roll 1 less than the runners. It almost seems more like a "Can you catch them test" instead of a pursue X"s test since the measurements are pretty much ignored for the pursuers. In reality of course a unit that was flanked wouldn't be able to outrun that unit as easily as it would a unit in the front. It just feels like a unit fleeing should get some kind of negative for being half surrounded.

hamsterwheel
06-06-2012, 17:39
Ok, I'm having a difficult time grasping what happened here. If it's a standard combat with only two units involved, it shouldn't matter how many ranks the fleeing unit has as the distance between the two units at the end should always be the difference in results between the flee and pursue rolls. Look at page 57 in the rule book. The 6 rank unit would completely turn around so now it's front rank is now where the rear rank used to be and it would then move 8 inches forward from that position. The pursuing unit would then move 7 inches forward. There should be a 1 inch separation between the two units since they were flush before.

Edit:
Nevermind, as it was pointed out by narrativium, this can occur in instances with flank charges where the length of the ranks exceeds the width of the unit.

dms505
06-06-2012, 18:10
Ok, I'm having a difficult time grasping what happened here. If it's a standard combat with only two units involved, it shouldn't matter how many ranks the fleeing unit has as the distance between the two units at the end should always be the difference in results between the flee and pursue rolls. Look at page 57 in the rule book. The 6 rank unit would completely turn around so now it's front rank is now where the rear rank used to be and it would then move 8 inches forward from that position. The pursuing unit would then move 7 inches forward. There should be a 1 inch separation between the two units since they were flush before.

Edit:
Nevermind, as it was pointed out by narrativium, this can occur in instances with flank charges where the length of the ranks exceeds the width of the unit.

Yes it's a secondary question I think. As silly as it is it's even possible for you to charge the side of a small unit with a large horde unit, the enemy flees from an enemy in it's front and is still in contact with the flanking unit if they rolled low. At that point I'm not sure whether you should then also slide the fleeing unit 1" sideways, to stay out of contact with the front of the flank unit, or not.

hamsterwheel
06-06-2012, 18:20
Yes it's a secondary question I think. As silly as it is it's even possible for you to charge the side of a small unit with a large horde unit, the enemy flees from an enemy in it's front and is still in contact with the flanking unit if they rolled low. At that point I'm not sure whether you should then also slide the fleeing unit 1" sideways, to stay out of contact with the front of the flank unit, or not.

They should have just revised the flee process so instead of pivoting on the spot and then moving away, it should read: place the last rank flush with the enemy that it's fleeing against, roll the 2d6 and move that many inches away.

AntaresCD
06-06-2012, 18:23
You fully resolve the flee movement before you resolve the pursuit movements, so in a lot of these examples the fleeing unit is bumped forward until they are 1" off of everyone else. Then you resolve the pursuit movement and the pursuers must stop 1" away from any obstruction (including the unit they were pursuing since they didn't "catch" them on the pursuit roll).