PDA

View Full Version : Empire battle reports on Youtube

Once Bitten
23-05-2012, 21:51
Another army, another thread. After 1 year with High Elves, 3 years with Bretonnians, and 1 year with Beastmen ... I thought I'd try Empire. Here is the report from my first battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MktVeGG6VcA

Malorian
23-05-2012, 23:05
That mistake with the witchhunter obviously changed the outcome of the game. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if played with that part fixed.

I understand your feelings on the stationary core. I get the same feeling when I go from orcs to dwarfs. Don't worry though, there will definately be times when you get to be aggressive with them especially since you don't really have much serious shooting apart from the stank and the outriders.

Interesting idea of the VHS on the witch hunter though. I hadn't thought of that one. Makes sense, but I guess in my mind my first objective is to keep him as cheap and cost effective as possible.

Once Bitten
24-05-2012, 02:53
Yeah, I feel really bad about that mistake. Both of us were figuring out the 'to-hit' roll, but still... That's just part of learning a new army, I guess.

Malorian
24-05-2012, 13:51
Don't feel bad about it. It's a new army and you were excited.

In no time you'll have all these things worked out :)

willowdark
24-05-2012, 18:09
Did your Hurricanum do anything? I watched the vid twice and I don't think I heard you mention it once after deployment.

What about trading your Knights for Demigryphs? The models are sweet. They have lots of high strength attacks. The models are sweet. They're fast. The models are sweet.

Sexiest_hero
24-05-2012, 19:20
Hey we all make mistakes, I'd been playing my Herdstone like a dark eldar webway portal till you pointed it out. If you wantto be more fighty try the Crazy guys who got moved to special from core. I forget their name.

Once Bitten
24-05-2012, 21:19
Did your Hurricanum do anything? I watched the vid twice and I don't think I heard you mention it once after deployment.

What about trading your Knights for Demigryphs? The models are sweet. They have lots of high strength attacks. The models are sweet. They're fast. The models are sweet.

Firstly, the Hurricanum gave my halbardiers and greatswords +1 to hit. In terms of its bound spell, yeah, I pelted a unit with soft droplets of rain at the mere cost of 3 powerdice.

As for the demigryphs, I like your thinking. Cool looking models are a great reason to field a unit. However, I want to build and paint my core units first before buying even more models.

Jericho
24-05-2012, 21:27
Unpainted core models never stop me from buying shiny new toys ;)

Frankly
24-05-2012, 21:30
Any chance of adding cannons? Or is that not your style?

Nice report ... but I'll miss the beastmen reports :(

Malorian
24-05-2012, 22:04
Well he does have the cannon that comes standard on the stank.

Swordthain
25-05-2012, 00:13
I loved it, OB. That was a fun game!

bigbear bailey
25-05-2012, 01:40
yeah well played bud

Frankly
25-05-2012, 07:26
Well he does have the cannon that comes standard on the stank.

ooohhhh yeahh. I forgot about that.

Once Bitten
25-05-2012, 10:39
I own two cannon models and plan on adding a cannon if I remove the steam tank. For now, though, I love the stank because of its versatility - it can shoot its cannon in the early turns, and then tie up and grind down elite units that I don't want getting into combat w/ my infantry.

Is the stank still considered overpowered or undercosted?? If so, I would eventually drop it for that reason alone.

Djekar
25-05-2012, 12:19
Liking the look of the army on the tabletop sir. I think that the colors are working for you!

Malorian
25-05-2012, 12:41
Is the stank still considered overpowered or undercosted?? If so, I would eventually drop it for that reason alone.

Some people do, but it's far more balanced now.

I think it's just fine with the new rules. Nothing overpowered about it.

Mentat Bashar
25-05-2012, 13:32
Haven't actually read the new stank rules (remember the rules published in WD years ago, 2 pages that made me scream "tl;dr", sounding a bit like "Teeehlll - Deeeeehrr"), but have people ever STOPPED complaining about the "beardyness" of the stank? It's like people react to the fact that it is a tank - if it was an unbreakable, high-toughness, firebreathing monster maybe less people would lift an eyebrow.

Sexiest_hero
25-05-2012, 19:32
It's fair now, I used to hate it as much as flamers.

TsukeFox
25-05-2012, 20:35
Firstly, the Hurricanum gave my halbardiers and greatswords +1 to hit. In terms of its bound spell, yeah, I pelted a unit with soft droplets of rain at the mere cost of 3 powerdice.

As for the demigryphs, I like your thinking. Cool looking models are a great reason to field a unit. However, I want to build and paint my core units first before buying even more models.

Huge fan of the Hurricanum-
just for the chance to spin an enemy unit on its center making its front arc look the opposite direction that it was currently facing.
at the very least a turn is wasted as the target unit might have to reform to correct itself - giving the empire player another round of shooting & keep the enemy from charging as well.

Hitting on 2s is nasty as well

Lance Tankmen
25-05-2012, 20:59
never knew you played high elves

Once Bitten
26-05-2012, 12:11
Huge fan of the Hurricanum-
just for the chance to spin an enemy unit on its center making its front arc look the opposite direction that it was currently facing.
at the very least a turn is wasted as the target unit might have to reform to correct itself - giving the empire player another round of shooting & keep the enemy from charging as well.

Hitting on 2s is nasty as well

Yeah, the prospect of spinning an enemy unit was exciting to me, as well. The problem is that there is a slim chance of getting it, and then they can only spin until the come within an inch of another unit, and rarely are units so isolated that you could spin them 180 degress. Oh well, it's still a fun thought.

Malorian
27-05-2012, 14:35
Often the threat can be more useful than the typical effect.

Lord Solar Plexus
31-05-2012, 11:56
Excellent report, want more! :)

medevilmike
07-06-2012, 18:40
I love the idea of you starting a new army and have watched all your bret/beast battle reports. wish you would do endless beast reports but thats only cause of the lack of em on the net. I watched/read em all no questions.

I never really comment but i appreciate your battle reports more then you can imagine, suscribed on youtube. might subscribe on malorians soon as i like hearing his heellooo this is malorian, all crazy canadian accented in his first sentance of all his reports.

anyway I hope you play alot of beasts with your empire and end up getting withdraw from em.

papabearshane
08-06-2012, 03:43
Good report as always looking forward to some more great battles with the standard of the warhammer world. How do you like the new detachment rules?

Ratarsed
10-06-2012, 16:07
I don't think the FAQ errata on sniper says what people think it says. I have discussed this amongst our gaming group and we have come to the conclusion you can snipe and stand and shoot at the same time so long as your sniper shoots at the unit that is charging. You should not feel bad about your win. It was fair IMO.

TsukeFox
17-11-2012, 02:54
So it seems like your army does not have any real redirectors. I think the horde of halberdiers has to go.

Replace it with 5 man knight units to redirect or hunt chaff.
I say this because an army really only needs one or 2 combat units.

The great swords have the Better armour and strength & stubborn. Same with the inner circle knights with the arch lector.

Or you can dump the great swords for out riders, huntsmen, or whatever.

Or dump the knights. I say no to that idea.

Ratarsed
20-11-2012, 22:14
Having just watched your battle report against the Wood Elves and your dissatisfaction with your list I feel it has to be the Great Swords that need to go. The unit must be nearing 500 points or so and as you say your army has little tactical flair to challenge you. A cannon, Hellblaster, Demigryph and detachments would I think go a long way to improving the play satisfaction of your army if not its win rate. Hordes are tough but lose a lot in the tactical challenge department. A more MSU style might take a while to get to grips with, but ultimately will prove to be much more satisfactory.

Malorian
21-11-2012, 15:19
Greatswords are one of the best units you have, just like the bestigors are to the beastmen. You just have to watch for bad matchups.

If you are getting bored then something you can do is take several units of core troops and then run a battery of beast wizards, again much like with beastmen. Str and toughness 4-5 swordmen are pretty awesome.

Then again you have to draw the line and make sure this army is different from your beastmen or else what's the point, right?

At the end of the day T3 doesn't like shooting no matter what you do, and if you change your empire army to be all knights to make up for it then you might as well go back to the brets.