PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia or Ogres

Polaria
24-05-2012, 15:28
After playing Beastmen for some time I want another FB army. This time I'm thinking small and Elite (like GK but in fantasy) where I could avoid boring, repetitive painting of huge blocks of infantry and spend more time and effort per model.

So the question is Bretonnia or Ogres?

Duke Ramulots
24-05-2012, 15:31
It depends, if you want to go with the most common army around go OK. Around here at least when I go to the LGS every two out of five gamers there is an Ogres player, never seen anyone bring brets but me.

Confessor_Atol
24-05-2012, 15:32
I can only offer my opinion... I love my ogres. Brute strength, nails tough, fun to play with a few viable options. Insofar as brets, there's whispers of an update within the next 18 months, so I'd hold off. Nothing worse than mustering an army only to have it rewritten immediately.....

Malorian
24-05-2012, 16:50
I you want to avoid boring then go with Brets.

You get to paint each model differently and I find they have a more interesting (competitive) play style.

Singleton Mosby
24-05-2012, 17:12
After playing Beastmen for some time I want another FB army. This time I'm thinking small and Elite (like GK but in fantasy) where I could avoid boring, repetitive painting of huge blocks of infantry and spend more time and effort per model.

So the question is Bretonnia or Ogres?

Don't go Bretonnia as their armies aren't small. Yes, you can field a 30-40 model 2000 point army but there's no fun in that. What's more, your army will be the same every single game.
In the 2500 points game I played yesterday my Bretonnian army fielded roughly 150 models.

Another interesting option might be Wood Elves or Chaos Dwarfs.

Duke Ramulots
24-05-2012, 17:22
Holy crap, 150 models at 2500 points!? My 2500 point army is roughly a third of that. Then again my 60 men at arms almost never see the table.

Malorian
24-05-2012, 17:30
Yes, you can field a 30-40 model 2000 point army but there's no fun in that.

I don't agree with that at all.

I'm one of those people that only runs knights and it's not as simple as pushing your army forward like with ogres. If ogres get charged rather than charge themselves all they lose is the impact hits, whereas the bret lance is pathetically useless when charged other than steadfast. This makes for a much more tactical and enjoyable game in my opinion.

Duke Ramulots
24-05-2012, 17:33
I agree with Malorian.

leeoaks
25-05-2012, 21:48
This is an easy one.....bretonian ogres.

Theme them with mounfang knights, peasant knoblar and scrap launcher trend.

A butcher damsel is a scary thought.

DragonArmy
25-05-2012, 21:58
Hmmmm. The two armies are very different and I would read up on both of them. The ogre kingdom site my also be a good place to check in.

All you mentioned wanting were fewer models, brets have several cheap infantry while the ogres only have knoblers as a cheap option. If you go brets, I would not be surprised if you eventually had a 40 horde.

As far as play style, ogres are very popular for a reason, but Malorian's comment is write on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dimetri1
25-05-2012, 22:33
I would go with Brets. They are the most fun to paint and have a very unique ply style.

Nubl0
25-05-2012, 23:21
Ogres are common, but not so common that you will end up playing mirror matches all the time. Plus they are imo very fun to play and have lots of viable units. Brets on the other hand.. well I find them rather boring. Whats that? you got some dudes on horses? and over there some dudes on horse with better stats? woah!

Hragged
26-05-2012, 00:03
Thanks to the new book Ogres have many more options and decent army builds than they used to, and you really don't have to go horde or copy the double Ironblaster + lotsa Mournfangs netlist to give the average opponent a run for their money. The Ogres' tribal and culture-absorbing nature in the background fluff and the big, easy to convert miniatures allow you a lot of creative freedom when converting and painting your army too. They're a lot of fun in all aspects of the hobby IMO!

ftayl5
27-05-2012, 00:20
Ogres are new, more likely to receive support from GW in the near future, updated and competitive rules, etc. But I think they're boring, I can't get behind the idea of an army that just wants to smash and eat and smash and eat. It's just a bit boring.
Bretonnians have honour and chivalry and an interesting society. They're tactically more challenging too and you get to paint each model differently.
I'd go with Bretonnians personally.

The Low King
27-05-2012, 01:42
Brettonians have some really nice fluff

woodster17
27-05-2012, 01:50
Ogres are new, more likely to receive support from GW in the near future, updated and competitive rules, etc. But I think they're boring, I can't get behind the idea of an army that just wants to smash and eat and smash and eat. It's just a bit boring.
Bretonnians have honour and chivalry and an interesting society. They're tactically more challenging too and you get to paint each model differently.
I'd go with Bretonnians personally.

I disagree. Although Ogres are very much in vogue at the minute why would they receive 'more support, updated and competitive rules etc'? They've been done now and will maybe only receive FAQ's in the future. It's not like they have any units that haven't been released. WYSIWYG now with Ogres for a good while. Bretonnians certainly aren't imminent but they will likely get an update in a year or two.

Doommasters
27-05-2012, 02:43
^ agree with Malorian

I am most likely going to be building a Brets army to complement my WE once the new book comes out. Brets really do have great fluff and if you like painting you will really like them, Ok are great but they are in a way flavour of the month.

Go with the fluff and models you like better as this will be taking up 80% of you time anyway.

ftayl5
27-05-2012, 09:31
I disagree. Although Ogres are very much in vogue at the minute why would they receive 'more support, updated and competitive rules etc'? They've been done now and will maybe only receive FAQ's in the future. It's not like they have any units that haven't been released. WYSIWYG now with Ogres for a good while. Bretonnians certainly aren't imminent but they will likely get an update in a year or two.

Apologies for the confusion, perhaps I should have used more words.
What I meant to say was that because they are new they are more likely to receive support from GW in the future (articles in white dwarf and on the website, as well as model waves over time.) and they have updated and competetive rules.

Andy p
27-05-2012, 11:20
Holy crap, 150 models at 2500 points!? My 2500 point army is roughly a third of that. Then again my 60 men at arms almost never see the table.

Well you would hate O&G's then!! My army is nearest to about 250 in models at that size.

But id say go for brets....but im not positive because I also collect ogres and they are great.

Ebon
27-05-2012, 16:55
Go with Brets if you really want to go to town painting them as you can give every knight their own colours and heraldry. Just be aware that your army book is one of the oldest still in use (might be the oldest) and some of the newer ones are way more competitive than you. Your models are all pretty old too but most of them still look pretty good so that's less of a problem.
OK has some nice models and the new rules are pretty good. Just be aware that if you take Gnoblars, you'll have to paint a load of them (minimum unit size is 20 and they die in a strong breeze so if you're going to field them, field lots).