PDA

View Full Version : Characters as Monstrous Cavalry

Laydoth
25-05-2012, 09:22
Hi, I've recently returned to Warhammer after an 8 year gap as a bunch of friends have decided to start for the first time and I'm trying to get to grips with these weird newfangled rules like troop types ;)

One thing I'm repeatedly hearing is that if a character has a monstrous beast as a mount he becomes monstrous cavalry and is no longer allowed to join units. My question is I can't find that written anywhere in the rulebook, all I can find is a rule saying Character can not usually join units of monsters, fliers, swarms or war machines and a later rule saying a character on a monster may not join units. My understanding is that a monster is now a different unit to monstrous cavalry, so a character on a monstrous beast has no special restrictions as to units he can join. am I way off the mark?

bad dice
25-05-2012, 09:35
No that's correct the thing is tough that most monsterous beast fly. (not all of course)
Also it's footprint might not fit into the unit so he must stand on the side.

Also no look out sir if you join a unit of a diffrend type.

Mr_Rose
25-05-2012, 09:38
You have it right; monstrous beasts are NOT monsters: monstrous beasts, for example, cannot be hit separately where monsters can, and so on.

T10
25-05-2012, 09:52
@OP: You are perhaps getting "monstrous beast" confused with "monster" - these are distinct troop types.

A character mounted on a warbeast (such as a war boar or a war horse) has the cavalry troop type.
A character mounted on a monstrous beast (such as an eagle or a dark pegasus) has the monstrous cavalry troop type.
A character mounted on a monster (such as a dragon or a griffon) has the monster troop type.

Monster characters cannot join units because of their troop type, but monstrous cavalry characters are not restricted from joining units due to their troop type (though other restrictions may apply).

-T10

Laydoth
26-05-2012, 11:25
Thanks Guys, I think the bit I was missing was that most Monstrous beasts characters can mount can fly.