PDA

View Full Version : have i been playing disruption correctly?

xisor83
28-05-2012, 18:48
trying to decide on my next project and was reading some articles on the GW site. Came across this on the bretonian tactics section

One-hit Wonders
In days of yore, you could have expected your knights to smash clean through enemy regiments, however the Steadfast rule has ended those halcyon days. If you hurl a unit of Knights of the Realm at a unit of Goblins, Skaven or Empire state troops you'll find yourself lancing them into ribbons, but not breaking them as they invariably pass their Leadership test. The following turn, when you're not charging and you don't get any Strength bonuses can be difficult indeed. Of course, you can get around this by carefully manoeuvring your units. Don't forget how fast your horses are. You'll remove the enemy's rank bonus with just six Knights Errant in their flank (since Bretonnian Lance formations get a rank bonus with just three models). This means they can kiss their Steadfast bonus (and their unchivalrous hides) goodbye!

Now my entire club play that disruption removes your rank bonus to combat resolution but not steadfast. Have we been playing it right and Gw dont know the rules or should it be taking away steadfast when you are disrupted?

Artinam
28-05-2012, 18:50
Disruption doesn't remove steadfast ;) Gw was wrong in this situation.

Kalandros
28-05-2012, 19:01
Disruption doesn't remove steadfast ;) Gw was wrong in this situation.
You have to wonder if they play with the same rulebook they sold us.

GodlessM
28-05-2012, 19:27
I still remember Gav Thorpe's Hydra having a S7 breath weapon :rolleyes:

xxRavenxx
28-05-2012, 19:42
I've often wondered if adopting said rule wouldn't improve the game a lot though...

GodlessM
28-05-2012, 20:10
I've often wondered if adopting said rule wouldn't improve the game a lot though...

I reckon so.

Jezbot
29-05-2012, 04:00
Now my entire club play that disruption removes your rank bonus to combat resolution but not steadfast. Have we been playing it right and Gw dont know the rules or should it be taking away steadfast when you are disrupted?

I get the impression GW work with a rulebook that's always under review, and the result is that they don't actually have the actual, published rules the rest of us live by completely straight in their heads. I'd guess at some point in the lead up to 8th ed, or possibly since 8th ed, that's how they started playing it in some of their games.

Khorneflakes
29-05-2012, 06:12
maybe they are playing ninth?

bad dice
29-05-2012, 07:01
Maby its part of the new lance formation rules
And we just don't know it yet

Either way them getting things wrong in articles is nothing new.

IcedCrow
29-05-2012, 14:45
My group has always run the houserule disruption cancels steadfast. Puts maneuvering importance back into the game instead of supporting two blobs pounding on each other in the center of the table.

And in two years of doing it it has never once led to a 7th edition style flank crush by a tiny unit (since you need at least 10 models to cause disruption) barreling down the side and destroying an entire army MSU style.

I love it. I wish it were a core rule.

T10
29-05-2012, 15:34
Do you still count Stubborn units as steadfast even if they are disrupted?

-T10