PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Imperial Armour 8?

Scribe of Khorne
29-05-2012, 00:26
What are the general thoughts on the units from Imperial Armour 8? The Ork Walker list?

Of the 3 'Kill' tank types, which is the most effective?

Theocracity
29-05-2012, 12:59
It seems good for playing Dread Mobs ;).

I'm not a Dread-crazy Mek, so I looked at it from the perspective of the other units. I'd say it's good for shooty lists with lots of vehicles. The Mekboy Junka is definitely worth the cost over a Looted Wagon, and the Lifta Droppa seems mean. The Chinork looks pretty cool, except that the infantry it transports is so crappy - Spanner Boyz can't take a nob or a powerklaw. They dont even come in large mobs so a Painboss isn't all that great (a sad realization). The cybork slashas look like cool modeling opportunities who should almost never see play. There's a few nice efficiencies hidden in there, like Deffkopta point savings. In general theres a lot of dedicated transport options, and the vehicles are superior to Codex: Orks versions, so mech up and get shooty. Or use a ton of dreads, I guess.

I can't comment on the Apoc stuff though, didn't pay muh attention to that.

Getz
03-06-2012, 16:31
The Dread-mob list is okay, it can certainly field more walkers than just about any other army aout there, but the price is that you basic infantry is both rubbish and competes directly with the Dreds...

As for the rest of the book, all the vehicles in it are pretty much awesome. If you like Tanks and you like Orks, the IA8 is an essential purchase as i opens up dozens of possibilities for field a proper orky armoured company. Simply adding the Supakannon to the Battlewagon entry gives you a pretty credible main battle tank whilst big trakks are the gun carriers that looted wagons wish they were...

Rick Blaine
04-06-2012, 10:32
Most of the Ork stuff is pretty awesome. If you're allowed to use Forgeworld stuff, it's a must-have for Ork players, IMO. Squadronable S9AP3 pie-plates, anyone?

Of the Kill Tanks, I bought myself a Bursta. It's the ultimate alpha striker and nothing lives more than 1 turn in Apocalypse, anyway. It can also provide a Str D blast, which Orks normally have no access to.

GrogDaTyrant
04-06-2012, 16:09
IA8 is invaluable for Ork players. Especially if FW is being allowed in your group/store. It really does bring the Orks up to par with the rest of 5e, by giving them things like Megadreads, or Soppa-Kannons mounted on Battlewagons (allowing for actual tanks). Big Trakks are also a phenomenal addition, and the Evil Sunz biker warboss is a far better and cheaper alternative to Wazzdakka, even without any 'Eavy Armor.

It also does a better job of handling the fluff than the Ork codex. It's nice to see the Clans actually being given a lot of background and mention of their fighting styles beyond "-X- Clan likes lots of -unit type-, and prefers -insert color scheme here-". Even if it's not being considered or represented on the tabletop.

Scribe of Khorne
04-06-2012, 18:16
Cool, thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll add it to my next FW order. :]

Ah FW says out of stock, I hope they make another run!

RTB01
05-06-2012, 14:45
I think it's back in stock again now - and it is a brilliant book - I love it!

Scribe of Khorne
05-06-2012, 17:37
I think it's back in stock again now - and it is a brilliant book - I love it!

I show it as still out of stock, but I have sent them an email to confirm.

cuda1179
05-06-2012, 19:41
There is a couple concerns about the book that I have. There are a couple wargear items in it that litterally do NOTHING. An upgrade for the Stompa lets you charge 12 inches with it. I guess they forgot that it could all ready charge 12 inches.

FlyingViking
06-06-2012, 15:03
Overall a great book for the Ork army list, the background etc. But I have the grot tanks, mega dread, meka dread, supakannon battlewagon and kilbursta as well as a stompa, so... yeah I love it.
Couple of small gripes, that, I think, even got carried over to the IA Apoc book. The Meka dread can be taken in a Codex Orks army that contains another Mega Dread. OK... and exactly where does it say a Mega Dread can be taken in a Codex Orks army?
(may be the other way around, but you get the gist).
I just assume the mega dread can be taken as Heavy Support, but officially, its a logical omission.

Kurisu313
06-06-2012, 15:20
There is a couple concerns about the book that I have. There are a couple wargear items in it that litterally do NOTHING. An upgrade for the Stompa lets you charge 12 inches with it. I guess they forgot that it could all ready charge 12 inches.

No, you can't. Stompa's charge 6" normally.

cuda1179
07-06-2012, 15:44
No, you can't. Stompa's charge 6" normally.

Superheavies follow the same asasult rules for Gargantuan creatures. Gargantuan creatures are allowed to assault 12 inches. Where is the confusion?

Edit: whoops! I got movement and charge distance confused. You are correct.