PDA

View Full Version : heroic killing blow

Goldenwolf
29-05-2012, 17:43
Can someone use Heroic killing blow on a unique? Say a Plague Furnace or a steam tank?

Someone at our last tournament had it and said it could, but the judge said no. I am uncertain as to the ambiguity of the rules, could someone enlighten me?

Scalebug
29-05-2012, 17:56
Heroic killing blow works on anything, only exeption is swarms. Having "unique" as unit type is no protection, it is not that it lists the types it work on and leave that out.

Steamtanks are chariots in any case, not unique.

It functions exactly like a normal Killing Blow, except it works on any creature, regardless of size and troop type, except for swarm

Artinam
29-05-2012, 17:58
The rules are pretty specific... works on every creature regardless of size and troop type, except for Swarms. Nothing that excludes special troop type.

So should have worked, really are really clear on it. (P. 72 of the rulebook, subparagraph of Killing Blow).

Goldenwolf
29-05-2012, 20:22
Hmmm, would you say that a Steam Tank is a creature though? I am not saying that you are incorrect, I would just like to know your thought process on this, as the rules do refer to creatures, and I would not think a plague furnace or steam tank is a creature.

hamsterwheel
29-05-2012, 20:32
Hmmm, would you say that a Steam Tank is a creature though? I am not saying that you are incorrect, I would just like to know your thought process on this, as the rules do refer to creatures, and I would not think a plague furnace or steam tank is a creature.

Although it's from an old FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310254a_FAQ_Empire_2010_v11.pdf) for empire

Q. Is the Steam Tank destroyed by a Heroic Killing Blow? (p51)
A. Yes.

This was the FAQ before the last book came out, the SteamTank was still a chariot and it could be Heroic Killing Blowed.

Scalebug
29-05-2012, 20:52
"Not being a creature" isn't a rules term, really... it is just flavour.

If it suspends your disbelief, think of it as the well placed heroic killing blow cutting through the armour plates and killing the crew, or something.

xxRavenxx
29-05-2012, 23:42
"Not being a creature" isn't a rules term, really... it is just flavour.

If it suspends your disbelief, think of it as the well placed heroic killing blow cutting through the armour plates and killing the crew, or something.

I always visulise the Bretonian with HKB just slaying the steamtank like a dragon, with the tank rearing up, staggering about, and then flopping on its back... Suspending disbelief is easy stuff :D

Anyway, there is no ambiguity in the rules here. HKB allows you to use the killing blow rule on anything in game. Nuff said.

Lord Inquisitor
30-05-2012, 00:00
In my mind a HKB means slicing the tank clear in half. Proper heroic!

GodlessM
30-05-2012, 02:25
Maybe at an angle too so the top slides off.

RanaldLoec
30-05-2012, 03:19
Nah the bretonnian lord rams his lance up the cannon blowing up the tank and rides out through the flames and explosion unharmed followed by his lance formation of knights who are equally immune to firey explosive scalding deaths clouds of shrapnel, steam and gunpowder.

Agoz
30-05-2012, 04:14
I always visulise the Bretonian with HKB just slaying the steamtank like a dragon, with the tank rearing up, staggering about, and then flopping on its back... Suspending disbelief is easy stuff :D

Anyway, there is no ambiguity in the rules here. HKB allows you to use the killing blow rule on anything in game. Nuff said.

hmmm, that made my day sir.

Goldenwolf
30-05-2012, 20:44
Thanks for the discussion gents

Shandowner
30-05-2012, 20:54
In my mind a HKB means a UAV Drone fires a Polaris missile at the tank, and the children on they way to a birthday party, inside get incinerated.

Athlan na Dyr
31-05-2012, 06:37
Utterly charming description that.

Heroic Killing Blow is very clear: it works on any creature regardless of size and troop type. This would include Chariots and Unique units such as the Screaming Bell

for those who want to rules lawyer around creatures, the killing blow rule gives a loose definition
all other creatures are considered too large...(monsters, monstrous infantry/ cavalry/ beasts, chariots and so on) or too numerous (swarms)

Artinam
31-05-2012, 07:26
To prevent confusion because you missed a small snip, it still doesn't work on swarm.

T10
31-05-2012, 11:02
In my mind a HKB means a UAV Drone fires a Polaris missile at the tank, and the children on they way to a birthday party, inside get incinerated.

Poor taste, man.

-T10

Damocles8
31-05-2012, 18:35

Well a UAV drone couldn't carry a Polaris missile, Polaris missiles are submarine-launched strategic nuclear weapons, so it would in fact kill everything in quite a distance.

SanDiegoSurrealist
31-05-2012, 19:59
Well a UAV drone couldn't carry a Polaris missile, Polaris missiles are submarine-launched strategic nuclear weapons, so it would in face kill everything in quite a distance.

Wouldn't he still get a Ward Save vs a nuclear strike?

Lord Inquisitor
31-05-2012, 20:17
Anyone who has played with the comet of casandora from 6th edition and the comet didn't come down for a few turns knows how that feels. I remember one such game. I can't remember who I was playing or even what army I was using but I do remember at the end of the game the comet came down and just wiped the table all but clean. I remember someone asking who won and we answered "the comet!"

Mr_Rose
31-05-2012, 23:48
"Giant Space Rock beats scissors and paper! What does this mean for the world economy? We find out, after this station break. Film at eleven."