PDA

View Full Version : Do scouts count in normal deployment for +1?

SanDiegoSurrealist
29-05-2012, 18:59
I know this has been discussed here before but just can not find it.

Scouts are placed after regular deployment and do not count when determining who gets +1.

I said correct but opponent said otherwise.

pg 142 MRB says Characters must be placed last, so if Scouts counted as being part of the deployment the would have to go before characters.

correct or incorrect?

Scalebug
29-05-2012, 19:11
Sorry, there is no definite yes or no to this... that characters are last, and scouts are deployed after everything else has been used to claim that they are not counted for the +1 for finishing first, but it doesn't actually say so in the rules, it is just about having all your stuff deployed.

In 7th ed there was an actual line of text saying "not including scouts" or something to that effect, but that has been dropped, intentionally or not.

It seems reasonable to see the drop of that line as accidental, because it is a bit wierd to get this disadvantage from taking scouting troops, but at the same time, they've had almost two years of FAQ's not, withouth it being mentioned... Someone could well have thought that scouts "needed" that check and balance... though one would think the no-charge on turn one should handle that.... unless you can do something nasty with shooting... see how this swings back and forth...

A lot of tournaments have ruled it that scouts do not count, have not heard any stories of this being abused yet...

Gary wyper
29-05-2012, 19:14
[QUOTE=SanDiegoSurrealist;6246710]I know this has been discussed here before but just can not find it.

Scouts are placed after regular deployment and do not count when determining who gets +1.

/QUOTE]
Correct, thus characters are placed before scouts as they are part of normal deployment

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

narrativium
30-05-2012, 21:21
A lot of tournaments I've attended have house-ruled it, but it's exactly that: a house rule. The rulebook makes no exception for scouts, so by the book, if you have scouts and your opponent doesn't, your opponent gets the +1 for deploying first. The house rule does extend from players being more familiar with previous editions, but the book-ruling is also just counter-intuitive.

The rulebook makes no exceptions for the other kinds of delayed deployment, either, but it's only common sense that says you have to roll for first turn before Ambushers can be deployed.