PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia Tactica for 8th Edition

bama
01-06-2012, 17:03
I've been looking for a site that discusses tactics for Bretonnia. I've been to the Round Table site but it really doesn't have any current tactics. It seems that any discussions about Bretonnia are dying off. Are they not that playable in 8th edition or since they are one of the oldest books that people are gravitating to the new shiny stuff? I think the Bretonnian models are still really nice. The knights are still better than Empire knights. And a fully painted Bretonnian army is really awesome looking. They still have all of their magic items so they are pretty customizable.

Gary wyper
01-06-2012, 17:08
As far as i am aware round table is the only dedicated bret forum, look out for the stickied tactica posts by saint of virtue, they are up to date and awesome

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Tuttivillus
01-06-2012, 17:59
They are playable IMO. Now more than in 7th. Old book fitted into new rule system nicely. What it lacks is a ruling for lance horde horde formation and unit limitation is out of date now more than ever. But still this is the only cavalry able to break hordes and even big bus units. Infantry is fairly cheap for what they do. There is loads of magic items to choose from. Available magic lores are very good. It's not a power book, but still very decent. I think people are bit off due to the age of minis. Even now GW is giving some plastic characters to all factions except Bretts and woodies. It's a shame. I think that a bunch of new models would make some good for gaining attention.

Wesser
01-06-2012, 19:40
They are playable IMO. Now more than in 7th. Old book fitted into new rule system nicely. What it lacks is a ruling for lance horde horde formation and unit limitation is out of date now more than ever. But still this is the only cavalry able to break hordes and even big bus units. Infantry is fairly cheap for what they do. There is loads of magic items to choose from. Available magic lores are very good. It's not a power book, but still very decent. I think people are bit off due to the age of minis. Even now GW is giving some plastic characters to all factions except Bretts and woodies. It's a shame. I think that a bunch of new models would make some good for gaining attention.

Lol you kidding? It's up side down m8. Noone actually lost with Bretonnia in 7th unless they wanted to

8th made Bretonnia into a gimmick army because cavalry is reduced to support troops. Brets can't even horde their units due to maximum unit sizes.

They are playable but nothing more and there's a lot of redundancy in the book.

Worst however is that most mini's are still metal and some are showing age.... Oh and that the King is about the single most overpriced fellow in all of warhammer. Wonder if anyone's fielded him?

russellmoo
01-06-2012, 21:05
Good point about the King Louencour model- not sure if that's how you spell his name- it's close- he is way overcosted-

Bret's are very viable in 8th, in 7th they were one of the best armies-

The only problem with 8th is that you end up with certain items being too good not to take- like Crown of command, and HKB-

The lack of tactica's can probably be summed up by the fact that most Bret players or people starting a Bret army just need to watch Oncebitten360's battle reports- his Bret ones will teach you everything you need to know to do well with Brets-

bigbear bailey
01-06-2012, 21:12
The only problem with 8th is that you end up with certain items being too good not to take- like Crown of command, and HKB-

The lack of tactica's can probably be summed up by the fact that most Bret players or people starting a Bret army just need to watch Oncebitten360's battle reports- his Bret ones will teach you everything you need to know to do well with Brets-

lol agreed dead in ha ha

bigbear bailey
02-06-2012, 05:23
Seeing as how the OP has low post levels he may not know who OnceBitten is so here is a link to his reports man!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?195603-Bretonnian-BatReps-on-Youtube

It's honestly as best as it gets for you guys as he mixes his list up a lot and trys/shows basically everything in the book. Hope you enjoy and he doesn't mind me linking ha ha.

maltesefalcon205
02-06-2012, 14:54
Hello all,

Currently having dramas facing Empire with my Bretonnians, any suggestions??

Gary wyper
02-06-2012, 17:49
Used to be move across the table get in combat and smash them, havnt played the new empire though so dont know if this will still work

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

bigbear bailey
02-06-2012, 19:20
A good Idea to do with empire is make sure one of your bus' is REALLY big, like 7 ranks deep. Use this one to smash their center most unit (usually they are halberds). With a first turn charge you will have more ranks and will pull more kills by far. Other then that, bret infantry isn't HORRIBLE like most think. One wild form on them and you have a unit of mini chaos warriors with crap armor, ws, and int lol.

Shadow_Steed
02-06-2012, 21:20
I really like the bretonnian models (the plastic kits at least).

Also, the Peasant Bowmen are quite good now, compared to High Elven archers that cost the double.

Soundwave
04-06-2012, 01:44
I am yet to build my bretonian army but have versed them on several occasions.I have all my models mainly knights and pegasus knights.The main problem for bretonia in 8th is steadfast and crown of command.Your opponent will want to pin your knights in place to avoid several lanceings,fortunately the knights have speed so pick on the weeker flanks and smaller support units and warmachines first.Then make the main unit or two the final priority for a combined charge from several angles.

Swordthain
06-06-2012, 01:33
I play Bretonnians. They've had a steep learning curve, but once I got used to them, I started winning a lot of games. People tend to underestimate the hitting power of a bus of Knights on the charge, and the Fay Enchantress can let you dominate the magic phase (provided she doesn't get hit first thing with a cannonball or a Lore of Death spell). They have options for several good chaff units, Pegasus Knights are great units for dealing with redirectors, chaff units, and warmachines, and the Men-at-Arms are currently quite decent light infantry that can pack a punch with their halberds. Their Paladins are cheap combat characters, and lists that include a Beasts Prophetess and several Paladins can really dominate in combat. I don't win an extraordinary amount with them, but I at least win as many games as I lose -I don't consider myself a great player, but I'm not horrible, either. You have a lot of options, but once you find the right list to fit your play style, there's not a lot of motivation to change it up much, which might explain at least some of the lack of tactica discussions. Several of your choices are pretty much requisite for a competitive list, so that also tends to make your lists extremely similar even when you do change it up some. I like the look and feel of the army, and I really enjoy my games. They are fairly well-balanced, all-in-all, though somewhat on the underpowered side. They take some finesse to play, so they tend to be difficult for first-army beginners in the hobby or powergamers.

Bunnahabhain
08-06-2012, 15:31
On the assumption that there are some Brettonianplayers in this thread, I have a favour to ask.....

I'm after some small Fleur de lys transfers, in either black or white. IIRC, there are some on the Bret transfer sheets. If anyone wouldn't mind giving/selling at a reason price me some, it would be very handy. Drop me a PM...