PDA

View Full Version : Killing mount in challenge Overkill question.

Iraf
01-06-2012, 17:31
Lets say a dwarf lord is in a challenge w/ Elf char on dragon, and chooses to attack the dragon. Kills the dragon, causing 9 wounds total to the dragon. Would overkill come into play considering the elf is still alive?

Artiee
01-06-2012, 17:43
Yes, on pg 103. last paragraph.

Iraf
01-06-2012, 17:44
Thx, missed that paragraph.

Scalebug
01-06-2012, 17:53
Hmm...

Excess wounds caused against mounts count for the purposes of overkill.

and

If a character fighting in a challenge kills his opponent and scores more wounds than his enemy has remaining[...]

are the relevant passages, and it doesn't say you have to kill the character, the dragon was an opponent of yours, and you have killed it, even if you are still in a challenge with the rider.

Overkill was originally put into the game (in 5th ed I believe, or was it as late as 6th?) to balance challenges a bit so that you could not autowin that easy by sacrificing a champion or low wound count character and then static-cr away the opponent. Even if a dragon here of course isn't such a sacrifice, not counting overkill is still not what the intention of the rule is, if you see what I'm getting at.

Edit: Ninja'd for assuming it was more to the question than Iraf merely having missed a paragraph... :p

Lord Inquisitor
01-06-2012, 17:56
Any Dwarf that can do 9 wounds to a Dragon in one round is not one I'd like to meet in a dark alley.

Iraf
01-06-2012, 18:10
Any Dwarf that can do 9 wounds to a Dragon in one round is not one I'd like to meet in a dark alley.

That D6 wound rune is killer...

Iraf
01-06-2012, 18:11

That D6 wound rune is killer.