PDA

View Full Version : Would you purchase a Army Book PDF?

Lord Dan
02-06-2012, 01:23
GW sure is giving statistics fans a lot of material to work with these days. :D

Evidently Games Workshop is testing the water on PDF versions of their army books for the iPad (see here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?342863-GW-goes-digital) for the thread). So far they only have a PDF version of the space marine codex, which is available through iTunes for 25 pounds. It appears to be at least somewhat interactive, is in color, and is a full version of the hard copy of the army book.

Please take a moment to answer the poll above.

NOTE:
I'm trying to gather information on the ideal price point for such a product, so please answer as though you own an Apple device capable of downloading the PDF.

The bearded one
02-06-2012, 01:37
Seeing as I'm no fan of Ipads, or Iphones, or Iwhatevers, and so only really use pdf's on my pc and laptop, coupled with the fact that I enjoy having a nice looking physical book to page through, I wouldn't want to pay much for a pdf version, 10'ish bucks maybe, because higher pricepoints start getting too close to the cost of the physical book which I prefer far more, personally.

ftayl5
02-06-2012, 01:45
I'd prefer a physical book anyway so I most likely wouldn't want it in the first place. Then again, if I actually had an iPad then the convenience of having all the books in one thin piece of metal would be substantial. So I'd pay up to 10 dollars for it, maybe a bit over but definitely no more than 20 (considering the hardback books cost 69 bucks in Australia).

Hoshiyami
02-06-2012, 01:56
I'd consideer it if it was 10$... and couldn't obtain it cheaper by other means (2nd hand, for a legal example). If thery were VERY cheap I'd think about buying all the books I usually play against though.

Another thing I'd like to know is the update method. If you've bought the book, you can have the last updated version of it, everything handily writen in the same book? You have to buy it again? Or just need another pdf around with the faqs for your ebook? It would be very easy to keep the books updated (download the last version) and as an option, the changes could be highlighted (the way the blood bowl living rulebook is done).

Athlan na Dyr
02-06-2012, 02:23
Well, it would be a bit cheaper here if prices are just conversion from one currency to another. I don't know what the extras are (I heard there was something like spinning pictures or somesuch) but it does seem to be more than just a digital form of the previous book. As such, I did select the $20 or less option. $25 I would be okay

>Good points of the PDF
-Won't lose its binding
-Easily updateable with new rules and units from White Dwarf (such as the recent fliers for Space Marines and Orks)
-FAQ's/ errata's could also be easily included in an update of the Ebook (I think they can do that? Not sure though)
-Lightweight and easily portable
-Search Function
-Is an example of innovation and can have more included than a normal book. Imagine if they continue this trend and we have video for the unit entries. Now that I would pay $40 for.

>Poor points of the PDF
-Price compared to the normal book seems a bit steep
-Requires a tablet device (iPhone/ iTouch screen isn't really big enough, at least for me)
-Requires an apple device, though this could easily change
-Lacks the physical properties of a normal book
-Easily pirateable (Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum/torrent...)

-Totenkopf-
02-06-2012, 02:33
I already have all the pdfs on my iphone. Its great for browsing while im in my thinking room or looking things up for reference when I am out. For gaming purposes, it sucks.. I tried using it to save my hard copies the abuse but it is annoying to flip through the digital copy.. I would never pay for them.. They are all free online in pdf format as we speak..

Freman Bloodglaive
02-06-2012, 03:26
I wouldn't buy anything on an iPad, but on an Android possibly.

Demoulius
02-06-2012, 03:35
Tbh GW is awesome at shooting themselves in the foot. Pity as the idea is a nice one (and an ancient one...)

5 bucks, tops. I prefer having an actuall book in my hands so the copy would be only for convience anyway. If the PDF's would get updated when something got FAQ'ed or something got added I MIGHT consider paying abit more; say 7.50 or 10 bucks.

Tbh though the things can downloaded currently already. What in godsname are they thinking chargign such a steep sum? Who keeps coming up with the horrible pricing on their models?

Razakel
02-06-2012, 04:09
I'd pay $10 or less. What I think they should do is put a code inside the front cover of each army book, that you can redeem on the GW website. Then you get access to the PDF as well.

Of course this won't happen. It'll end up with the PDF having half the rules and the hardback copy having half the rules, and each one will be $40. As Mr Krabs said: "The money is always right!"

dimetri1
02-06-2012, 05:03
If they were 5-10 dollars I would buy all of them.

Tarian
02-06-2012, 05:07
I wouldn't buy a PDF for my armies, as I much prefer having the physical book with me. Granted, it gets bad when switching between 2-3 armies for 2 different systems, but dagnabbit, I like my books!

Iron Puritan
02-06-2012, 05:20
I voted for $10.00. We are talking about supplements. It is not like we are discussing core rule books. Those could go for more money if they had good search functionality and other nifty features. E-books would get plenty of people buying both editions if a reasonable price point was established.

bigbear bailey
02-06-2012, 05:34
It's one of those things to me where if the in your hand book is 40 then the PDF (which costs them VERY little to make) should be at least half off that. They need to start to think about how much sales they are losing to piracy due to selling stuff like that for so much rather then having 10 dollard trickling in from everyone (as most people would easily pay that even if they could pirate it).

Come GW, you're smarter then 40 bucks :(

Athlan na Dyr
02-06-2012, 05:42
It's one of those things to me where if the in your hand book is 40 then the PDF (which costs them VERY little to make) should be at least half off that. They need to start to think about how much sales they are losing to piracy due to selling stuff like that for so much rather then having 10 dollard trickling in from everyone (as most people would easily pay that even if they could pirate it).

Come GW, you're smarter then 40 bucks :(

Indeed. The eyepatch, hook hand and cheap bottle of Rum one clearly needs to go pirating without guilt is far cheaper than $40 bucks. $10-$20 not so much.

gdsora
02-06-2012, 05:49
I would, I see this as a step forward to easy errata/faq's and quicker updates to books.

The only problem is the ludicrous price.

Balerion
02-06-2012, 05:51
I would not consider paying money for something like this unless it was a) released at the exact same time as the physical rulebook, and b) cost less. The package needs to represent some sort of actual value and not just be a flashy, shiny supplement you buy a year after already purchasing your hard copy. I don't care about interactivity. I don't care about animation, sound effects or "bonus content". I would simply want a useable codex/AB at a somewhat reduced price.

Tarliyn
02-06-2012, 06:38
I would probably get a digital copy of the books I use the most in additition to a physical copy.

And I think it is not fair to expect it to be cheaper. When you buy an ebook novel from barnes and noble or amazon they are usually the same price as if you had purchased the hard copy. Why should we expect GW to be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private_SeeD
02-06-2012, 06:45
I would probably get a digital copy of the books I use the most in additition to a physical copy.

And I think it is not fair to expect it to be cheaper. When you buy an ebook novel from barnes and noble or amazon they are usually the same price as if you had purchased the hard copy. Why should we expect GW to be any different?

I mainly buy eBooks from BL nowadays becasue they are cheaper than the physical versions... so I don't see why GW can't do the same tbh

Tarliyn
02-06-2012, 06:49
I mainly buy eBooks from BL nowadays becasue they are cheaper than the physical versions... so I don't see why GW can't do the same tbh

I agree. I am not saying it wouldn't br nive or even smart on GWs part but GW is hardly alone in not charging less for digital copies of things. Sometimes people here are
very critical on some things that GW does that are no different from what other companies do. They also make some severe screw us though too, lol :p

Urgat
02-06-2012, 07:07
Seeing as I'm no fan of Ipads, or Iphones, or Iwhatevers, and so only really use pdf's on my pc and laptop, coupled with the fact that I enjoy having a nice looking physical book to page through, I wouldn't want to pay much for a pdf version, 10'ish bucks maybe, because higher pricepoints start getting too close to the cost of the physical book which I prefer far more, personally.

TBO stole the words straight out of my mouth. I'll expand to say I'd be interested in a free PDF with only the rules for listing making purpose on my computer, but I'd still buy the book.

"It's not because you can that you will"

eron12
02-06-2012, 07:58
I think I would be willing to pay up to $15 for an army I played. (so I selected the $20 option). Now if the books were $7.50 or so I would probably buy all of them. I pay that now for certain old armybooks, so I could do that for new pdf versions.

BigbyWolf
02-06-2012, 09:05
I buy hard copies, then scan them for use on my kindle (for personal use, officer). The books are expensive, so I like to keep the originals in as good a condition as possible. Having portable copies allow me to do this.

I certainly wouldn't pay full price for a pdf, I'd suggest that every actual book bought comes with a code/ voucher giving you a free (or cheap, like up to 5) download of the pdf for that book.

Askari
02-06-2012, 09:18
If they were half price of the true books I'd probably still save up for my own armies books but perhaps get the odd PDFs for armies I didn't collect. For say, 10 I'd probably get all the books apart from my own armies ones (and even then, acquire a pdf for the books I buy just to have them all in one place nice and tidy.)

Ratbeast
02-06-2012, 09:23
Cost a buck or two and i actaully had an ipad, maybe

Gertjan
02-06-2012, 09:42
I believe they should give a code for a digital download or something like that with every hardcopy they sell (no, I'm not joking). Even the last few dvd's I bought had a code that allowed me to download an additional digital copy, can't see why GW wouldn't be able to do that. Besides ofc me not being interested in things that are single platform only, a pdf is usefull, a Ibookpadthingy isn't as I shall never get one. Other than that, there's always the option to make/find your own pdf I would say, at least it's legal here where I live.

Durloth
02-06-2012, 10:01
Most of GWs publications are of course already available in PDF format already, if you're not too concerned about copyrights and such. I've found that while having the rule books on my phone seemed like a nice idea, I never actually used them over the physical copies and have deleted the PDFs I had.
As long as they make physical books, I'll keep buying them no matter the price difference. The only way that might change would be if the army-book PDFs came with some kind of built in army builder software.

superdupermatt
02-06-2012, 10:07
25 for a digital copy is ridiculous, why buy that when you can have an actual physical copy for the same price? If it was 10 cheaper it'd still be to expensive. I wonder what reasoning they have for the price?

chromedog
02-06-2012, 10:13
In answer to the question, NO. I would not buy a pdf army book.

The poll answer: Only if it was free. My Infinity lists are like this - but they are also in the hardcopy rulebooks I own.

I prefer a physical copy of a book. The tactile sensations of flicking through the pages beats tapping a screen.
All of the pdfs I use have been printed out for this reason.

spaghettyhoop
02-06-2012, 11:17
I would buy an army book PDF yes, and I dont think it should cost a tiny fee. Like has been mentioned, it is no different than other eBook suppliers. 20% cheaper than the physical copy is in line with most other publishers, so i dont see why a PDF for an army book costing 20 is out of order. (obviously it can be argued that the hard version is over costed to start with, but that isnt for this thread)

With that in mind, the marine codex they just released isnt a PDF. Its an interactive version,with a lot of extra pages, and a lot of advantaged over a PDF. I havent tried it yet (tablet is android or I would buy it) but im not writing it off without seeing it properly first.

Little Joe
02-06-2012, 11:27
Max. $10 in addition to my hard copy for a referable and regularly updated PDF. The extra cash would be for the service and makes the army book almost worth it.

Poncho160
02-06-2012, 12:05
I finally was convinced to get a Kindle ealier this year and apart from The Emperors Gift, I haven't bought a paper book since. I love my Kindle. The books are cheaper, more accsessible and the kindle has lots of nice liitle functions. As soon as the Kindle Fire hits the UK i'll be getting one of them.

I would happily get Codexes / Army books for my Kindle, but not at the price GW are selling them for. I'd buy them if they were cheaper than the print versions, so about 15 / roughly $25.

sakura_ninja
02-06-2012, 12:14
No
No
No
And to further reinforce my previous statement NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

especially if you have to have a crummy Apple product.

theunwantedbeing
02-06-2012, 15:06
I'm fine paying a small amount to download music, all I need is for the music to be readily accessible and able to be played conveniently.
I don't see much point in CD's anymore as my collection is too large to be on a large stack of CD's and it would make it far too time consuming to find the required music.

A GW book just isn't in the same category in my opinion.
There isn't a large enough amount of GW armybooks to make me want something quicker and easier to use, similarly I don't need to be able to carry my entire collection around when I play a game, I need just the rules for the army I am using and picking that out of a stack of 20-30 books is incredibly easy.

So I couldn't get myself to pay for a digital copy of the rules.

I'de need the digital copy to be fantastic and the physical copy to be aweful for me to want to pay for the digital copy.

unknown_lifeform
02-06-2012, 15:32
Its about time, I see this as the future. I already use an army builder app on my smartphone rather than carting around numerous army lists and the size of GW's hardback army books and core rulebooks makes carrying them around difficult. Being able to carry around all your rulebooks, FAQs, supplements and army lists around on an e-reader for all the games I play would be very attractive.

The snag is the price - an electronic copy would have to be a fair bit cheaper than a physical version. My two preferred pricing models would be either a free download when you buy a physical copy of the book or a cheaper trimmed down e-book with just the rules at a reasonable price. Since selling anything at a markdown would seem to be anathema to GW I believe what will actually happen is they try and charge full price and get very limited uptake.

Also, they'd have to release it for non-apple products for me to show an interest since I refuse to touch them with a barge pole.

papabearshane
02-06-2012, 15:50
As I have an Army book addiction (I own all of them and buy the new ones even for armys I dont curently collect) I would only pay $5-10 for the PDF versions. Having a book is just so much better then a PDF file IMOP.

Asensur
02-06-2012, 16:02
I've not voted, because my answer is:

I'm not going to buy an (expensive) IPad for a digital book copy.

They can make me spend all the money I have for my hobby, but not for an awful tablet (worst technical support, ever).

However, if they use another platform to sell their digital copies I could buy them.

DaemonReign
02-06-2012, 16:26
I can't vote either Lord Dan..
Bottom option should have been:
'Not interested under any circumstance, regardless of cost'.

I do have one of those flashy touch-screen pads. That's not it. I use Army Builder. But I prefer the books to be 'physical'.

Tupinamba
02-06-2012, 16:33
Id by them for 5-10 bucks, and then Id probably buy all of them. For my own army, Id still go for the paper version, but itd be a realistic (and legal..) way of getting the other books for fluff and reference, which Id certainly not do with expensive, hardcover books that will become obsolete in 4-7 years.

As someone said before, pdfs are already easily available via piracy. It would be a good thing to have a legal and better quality way to getting them, for which I would spend some money. However, only for PCs.

sakura_ninja
02-06-2012, 16:50
I wonder if gw realizes this would probably increase the piracy of there books.

Texhnolyze
02-06-2012, 17:07
Seems that the only thing we do here is whining about GW.

To be fair, they can't price the itunes book lower than the physical book.
They are have roughly the same content, so if they were cheeper than the physical book, people would get the digital copy instead.

Also the reason it is only on itunes is because it is so easy to pirate things from the android devices that it would be stupid of them to release it there before these issues are resolved. (i got both android and iOs devices)

Asensur
02-06-2012, 17:48
Also the reason it is only on itunes is because it is so easy to pirate things from the android devices that it would be stupid of them to release it there before these issues are resolved. (i got both android and iOs devices)

It is also easy to pirate IPad contents. None of my friends have paid for apps and content on their Apple products ever.

Lorcryst
02-06-2012, 19:19
I voted "only if it were free" because there's no "oh hell no" option in the poll ...

I'm a book nerd. I love the feel of books. I even buy the big new shiny Army Books for armies I don't play just because I love them.

Barring the fact that Ipads/eBook readers/tablets have such a tiny screen that reading something on them in painfull for my eyes, I'd have to consider the cost of said tablet, the use I could get out of it, and the practical points of it (none for me) before thinking about buying one ... and then paying the same amount of money for a digital version of a book, with all the bugs, fails, piratings and BSoDs that go with them would be totally stupid ...

A hard copy of a book cannot be pirated off my hands.

An eBook can be, quite easily.

Also, it looks like those are copy-paste jobs, without the possibility of updating without paying even more ...

So, yeah, Hell NO !

Lord Dan
02-06-2012, 22:20
...there's no "oh hell no" option in the poll ...

My polls seem to be frequently lacking in this option. :p

Crovax20
02-06-2012, 22:26
20 dollars or less. However this is provided that the Ibook has some extra's to it...

Jind_Singh
02-06-2012, 23:29
personally speaking - no - I had that army builder but ended up using my trusty paper and pen - and i love collecting books not pdfs - i don't even use those ebook readers!

Ebon
02-06-2012, 23:58
Assuming it worked on my laptop and assuming it was a straightforward .pdf conversion of the text, I'll go no higher than about $15 (I selected $20 since there wasn't an option for $15). I still prefer physical books for the most part. That said, I'll double that (up to $30) if they took advantage of the software possibilities by, for example, including a list-building tool or that interactive painting tool they used to have on the website for marines (where the marine was divided into areas like pauldrons, greaves and so on and you picked a colour for each one) or including multimedia content.

E-books should always be cheaper than regular books because the production and distribution costs are so minimal (plus, it achieves GW's dream of charging money for no physical product at all!) but I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if they take advantage of the medium's possibilities to do things which ink and paper can't. E-publishing is cheap these days (my other half e-publishes porn and I used to work for the biggest religion site on the web so I know a little about it) but not many people use the medium to it's full advantage. GW has the resources to do so and produce something pretty special. Start with a copy of the codex, properly cross-reference and hyperlink it then bundle in the painting tool I mentioned above, add a halfway decent list-building tool, maybe some battle reports and/or tactical advice too. You could include some links to the SM section of GW's website as well. Then you've got something pretty special and I'd be happy to go thirty bucks or so for that. Maybe more if it was especially well done.

SotF
03-06-2012, 03:58
I've used my laptop for eBooks for a while now, and I'm getting Nook Color soon (especially if the BN fathers day sale seems to be what's been hinted at at various places). I kind of shifted over to pdf's from gaming books as soon as I can such as with D&D where I'd have 40+ books I'd need to haul around. Same with several other RPGs. My scanner has had a heck of a lot of use in keeping copies I can use for my own use rather than breaking my back to haul around a few hundred pounds of books when gaming.

Traveling is a pain as well with physical books because they take up space, and I read rather fast so I burn through books like crazy.

I've seen the video for the Space Marine codex they're putting out for iPad, and would be more interested if they weren't going for apple as a test location as I'm not paying apple prices for hardware and GW prices for software.

Infern0
03-06-2012, 06:38

I`m going to second that

loveless
03-06-2012, 06:50
Depends on the exact content. Copy-paste jobs of the book that are stagnant? Pass.

A book that automatically updates with FAQs and Errata? $20-25.

A book that does the above and also includes painting guides, in-depth world and race information (more than the pathetic fluff pamphlets that are 8th edition books), and maybe some "Uniforms and Heraldry of..." style color schemes? $30-35

Mind you, the current 8th edition books are barely worth $30 in my opinion, and selling for much higher.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-06-2012, 06:55
From what I understand, you can't even get them for the iPhone, they only work on the iPad. That makes it useless for me, as I only own the former.

I picked "only if it were free" but that's because there was no "not interested in the first place" option.

Skywave
03-06-2012, 07:43
From what I understand, you can't even get them for the iPhone, they only work on the iPad. That makes it useless for me, as I only own the former.

I picked "only if it were free" but that's because there was no "oh hell no" option.

Fixed to fit in a proper Lord Dan poll ;)

As for me, I have no iPad or similar, so I would have nowhere to read them anyway. I vote for "free" anyway, because if I was a potential customer for that, I would still buy the real book first, the digital version would need to be a freebie (a concept that GW do not know about) for me to get it. I can carry my book around, don't need to pay a second time to carry an iPad instead. And I don't know, but I'd prefer to carry my ~50$ book instead of a ~500$ gadget.

SilentTempest
03-06-2012, 08:36
E-books should always be cheaper than regular books because the production and distribution costs are so minimal

I'm really surprised it took until Page 3 for someone to bring this up. I can't see how a company could justify charging the same for an electronic copy of their books when there are so many costs they manage to avoid. Printing, binding, shipping, maintaining stores (which not only requires them to pay their staff, but they must rent space out as well). Yes, staff are required to administer the electronic merchandise, but I can't imagine it would be anywhere near the number required to sell hard copy stuff. And yes, while the stores are important to have, a part of them goes to selling the books, so you should be counting a part of their cost.

I'd consider paying maybe half the value of the hard copy book for a PDF. I would then print and bind the PDF, as I do prefer using a hard copy, but don't feel the need to have the hard copy books they provide, mainly due to cost.

kissmykiester
03-06-2012, 09:24
I'd ploink down 40 bucks but I'd wait a month and probably be able to download it for FREE eventually. And it'll have to be on an Andorid Tablet for me. Thinking about getting the Samsung Tab or Asus Infinity.

sasheep
03-06-2012, 11:25
I put $10, although I at first assumed that the poll was in 's. 10 for an e-book would be good, with interactive photographs, painting guides, FAQ's and updated rules for things like WD entries would be great. I would get them for all the armies I play at that price point. At 25 there is no way I will even get one.

underscore
03-06-2012, 13:01
I'd certainly pay for an e-book version of a couple of them (mainly the rules and one or two army books), but as I don't have an i-Whatever I'll have to look into some way to stripping the drm from it first.

Spiney Norman
03-06-2012, 13:25
I was gobsmacked that GW were charging 25% more for the electronic copy of the book than the hard copy.

I have an iPad and I appreciate it's convenience, but charging more for a product that you have incurr no costs on other than a one off conversion to digital format (they must have the digital copy somewhere anyway right, I mean surely it exists as a digital copy before it goes to print?) is the most extreme case of profiteering that I have ever seen GW attempt. I mean they convert to hard back army books in fantasy and the price goes up by 5, I can justify that because it's better quality, full colour printing and a higher quality binding. Now for the same price increase I'm looking at a product with NO printing involved, no binding, no transport costs and no shelf space required in store.

I would buy the iBook version if it was significantly cheaper, no more than half the cost. The problem is it doesn't feel like I'm actually buying anything, at least with a paper book you have something to show for the 25 going out of your account.

Basically there has got to be an advantage to me to get the digital copy other than being able to show my iPad off in my local gaming club. If they undertook to keep the digital copy updated by integrating all subsequent FAQs then I might be interested, or if I was benefiting from a significant saving (to reflect the fact that their production, marketting and transport costs are zero) then these are benefits I can understand and would encourage me to go digital.

While they are charging me 25% more for a digital copy of the same product I'll not be going digital.

What would be useful would be giving a unique code with the sale of every codex which allowed you to download a free digital copy, that way I still have the nice hard copy at home which I can read, write army lists from and scheme over, but the digital copy can be conveniently taken with me when I go out for a game. This would be good especially in the case of the rule books, which are getting to the point of being so massive you almost need a separate trolley just for them.

Urgat
03-06-2012, 14:31
I was gobsmacked that GW were charging 25% more for the electronic copy of the book than the hard copy.

I have an iPad and I appreciate it's convenience, but charging more for a product that you have incurr no costs on other than a one off conversion to digital format (they must have the digital copy somewhere anyway right, I mean surely it exists as a digital copy before it goes to print?)

They're sending the PDF to print, the only difference would be to turn off the bleed, cropping marks and stuff when you convert the indd file to PDF if you want to sell it directly instead of sending it to a printer. A 10 second job difference. If it's a straight copy of the armybook, creating a digital version of it requires one minute (well a bit more, the guy has to wait for Indesign to create the PDF, so he may want to go fetch a cup of coffee while it's doing its job).

Poncho160
03-06-2012, 15:56
Ive decided to wait out on whether I will get the electronic rulebooks. If Codex Space Marines is updated automatically and free of charge when the 6th Edition FAQs come enmass, like they did for Fantasy 8th edition, then i probably will. If not then i won't.

Spider-pope
03-06-2012, 16:15
As a complete luddite when it comes to ebooks and the like, the answer is no i wouldn't purchase an army book PDF whether it was 25 or free.

Urgat
03-06-2012, 16:17
Am I the only one annoyed at the "exclusive" binding scrolls and so on, btw?

Asensur
03-06-2012, 17:28

No, you are not the only one.

I was fine with the Digital release for IPad, as it is a big step forward. I don't even have an IPad and i'm really excited of what they are doing.

However, a guy posted previously that WD articles and additional are gonna be only on IPad (this means: no more white dwarf archive at the web).

I'm angry right now. I was going to buy a thundertusk/stonehorn kit for a SoM dwarf army. Now they have lost a purchase because of that stupid decision.

I can pay for a premium account at the webpage (D&D insider anyone?). I can pay for a retail collection of articles (old WD annuals could be a nice investment). I'm not gonna pay for an Apple product due to having an exclusive binding scroll.

shelfunit.
03-06-2012, 18:01
As it requires no shipping or printing $10 (5-6) would be a fair price. At that price I would purchase all of the army book PDFs and possibly a number of the 40k ones, so possibly upto around 20 purchases every 4 years for a total of $200. As it is I may not bother with any of them.

The bearded one
03-06-2012, 18:30

No, you're not the only one. I'm way ahead of ya :p

Also my first thought when I saw that bit about the scrolls of binding, was about how cool it was that we can now pay extra money for extra options :p * sigh *

bluemage
04-06-2012, 02:58
Given that I feel a hard copy of the rules is necessary for when playing the game, no I wouldn't buy a pdf regardless of the price. I also wouldn't want to be handing over an ipad to a stranger. That and even if the pdfs were free I would still have to purchase an ipad to begin with.

I also think this whole exclusive content stuff is non-sense and will just encourage people to pirate things. I mean if you already bought the book/magzine, but didn't buy the right format you lose out on content. That's just none-sense that would **** me off enough to pirate copies and probably not purchase things in the future.

aznthecapn
04-06-2012, 03:32
A couple of points here...

1) The price - the price is comparable to the new prices of codices when the price hike kicks in next week. Hardback will be the same cost. It released at that cost just like the new flyers did. People are getting bent out of shape because they think they are paying more for a digital version and that simply isn't the case. If you were to buy a hard copy of the codex next week you'd pay $41.25. Does it seem like gouging? Maybe. But if you already have the codex, why are you complaining about another copy of something you already have? Also, the notion that it should be cheaper because its digital isn't holding water anymore. That was the case when digital copies (i.e. music) was the burgeoning industry and they wanted to draw people in. Now that anything that can go digital IS going digital, the price is remaining comparable to the physical copy. Look at Kindle books or other ibooks. Comparable price point. iTunes music started at $.99 but has been going up over the life of the store. The only way to get "cheap music" now is to buy the whole album. You buy songs piecemeal and they make more money. Don't assume the digital copy gives you the right to a cheaper version.

2) PDF - its not just a pdf. Its highly interactive and has many useful features that a "normal PDF" file doesn't have. You can zoom into images in the gallery to see a more streamlined version of examples. If you forget the statline of a gun in the army pages just tap it and you'll see it. If you forgot a special rule, tap it and it'll be explained. There's also a glossary with all special rules and terms that you can go to for quick access to info. A normal PDF doesn't do all of this. Its an app that sells as an ibook.

3) "I have to buy an ipad" - I know this may be hard to conceive for some people, but you don't "have to buy an ipad". Its for people who already HAVE ipads. If you're actually considering the cost of the ipad when debating the cost of this item then you also aren't considering all the additional benefits you get from owning an ipad beyond having a digital copy of the codex. No one should be saying "but I have to have an ipad to get it" - that's stupid. If you have an ipad, this is an option.

Yes, it is good that GW is finally getting digital. Unfortunately there ARE some issues. While I do have an ipad, I know they certainly don't dominate the market so seeing this as "ibooks exclusive" is just ridiculous on behalf of GW. I truly hope that exclusivity contract is short as hell. The exclusive scrolls of binding are just absurd. GW needs to take a page from companies like Privateer Press and stop making their products HARDER to access for the masses. Its terrible business. Doesn't mean the codex itself is not very useful and will, perhaps one day, replace the physical books.

Schmapdi
04-06-2012, 03:36
No, you're not the only one. I'm way ahead of ya :p

I'm betting any new proper painting tutorials and whatnot get "sold" now too.

Lord Dan
04-06-2012, 03:39
150 sounds like a nice, round number for a sample size, don't you think?

Quick disclaimer: This is not a truly random sample, and all number crunching below is done strictly in the name of fun.

84% of pollers said that they wouldn't pay any more than $20 for a digital army book (some wouldn't even pay that, however none of that 84% would pay any more). Using the basic margin of error formula (1.96*sqrt((.84*.16)/150)) I get .339. When I construct a confidence interval I get (.84+/- .34) 50% - 100%. This means that we are 95% confident that the true proportion of gamers unwilling to pay more than $20 for a digital army book is between 50% and 100%. Even if we take the lowest number in that interval, that means 50% of gamers wouldn't pay more than $20 for a digital army book. Having fun yet?

For some more data we can do a reverse breakdown:
8% of those polled said that they would pay what Games Workshop is currently charging for the digital army book. Using the same formula for margin of error (1.96sqrt((.08*.92)/150)) we get .022. Once again putting this into a confidence interval we get .06-.10, which means we are 95% confident that the true proportion of gamers who would pay $40 for the digital army book is between 8% and 10%. Even taking the best case scenario for GW, only 10% of gamers would buy the digital army book at this price.

Gop
04-06-2012, 03:39
I'd prefer the physical book too. I only have an iphone so the writing would probably be microscopic. The pdf version could be userful but I wouldn't pay very much since I'd prefer to use the paper book.

Roguebaron
04-06-2012, 03:52
I like books, I like having something tangable in my hands. I enjoy the smell of a newly bound book, it's almost like a new car smell fetish to me. I will always buy the book for my main army as a hands on version. That being said, I hate the fact that every 2 or 3 years, i've been buying another giant hardcover to collect dust on my shelf in the form of the main rule book. I've hunted ebay to find the little paperback versions now, just because they are so much handier. I would love the main rules in pdf form. I'd also probably pick up more of my enemys codices if they were in pdf form, but only at a discounted price. just to be aware of the rules. If I don't play the army, I don't need the book kicking around, but sometimes it would be nice to look up a figure that's sitting across from me for the first time, just to know what it does before I spend time blowing it up or killing it. I also wouldn't mind if it was just a pdf, I don't need interactive, I know how to paint my army, and I don't care how to paint it if it's not mine.

Urgat
04-06-2012, 07:27
A normal PDF doesn't do all of this..

Yes it does :/

logan054
04-06-2012, 10:33
I wonder if gw realizes this would probably increase the piracy of there books.

It will? I was pretty sure you could find pretty much any armybook pirated online within a month of release.

Anyways, I like the idea of it, the just seems well off the mark to me.

Spinocus
04-06-2012, 20:12
Would I pay for an interactive, digital book with periodically updated rules, FAQs, etc.? Sure! Would I pay more for said digital book if it cost more than its hardcover counterpart which is already overpriced nearly 30-50% more than it should be? No ***** way! :mad:

The mark-up for GW's rule & army books is already obscene, charging more for a digital book that is vastly cheaper to produce, upgrade and distribute simply shows their disdain for their customers. Remember kids, digital distribution vastly curtails or outright eliminates the cut taken by the middle men (i.e. publishers) who actually manufacture, ship & put the books on the shelves. Sadly it's the ever shrinking community of 'GW can do no wrong' fanboys that continues to inspire GW with new ways of screwing them over. GW's customer base may shrink with each passing year but the execs don't care so long as the die hard addicts keep ponying up $$$ for overpriced products, thus allowing GW to achieve handsome profits and continue the vicious cycle each year.

Secondly limiting this distribution to the iBook format is also incredibly stupid. GW should really take a page or two from Privateer Press' playbook.

If GW thought they had a piracy problem now, just wait and see what happens when they travel down this road with the projected pricing structure in place. Copy protection, shmocky protection, hackers will rip these books and post them to teh internetz faster than GW can say D6.

Von Wibble
04-06-2012, 20:21
I think you may well be right. Imo they should actually provide the rules in a free pdf and then make the army books a proper sourcebook focusnig on modelling, campaigns, really detailed history - something to buy to provide a lot more insight into the army than currently allowed. Chances of something that good happening seem very low though.

astornfleshlay
04-06-2012, 20:25
$15 is the max I'd pay. If they were $9.99 Canadian I could see myself collecting armies I don't own, or plan to own.
Would have to be Android for me though, so no-go on the current format.

Noserenda
04-06-2012, 20:28
Isnt the Poll a little misleading though? It doesn't refer to what GW is actually offering?

Phazael
04-06-2012, 20:41
Why the hell did they not go through Amazon/Kindle? They would have hit a much wider audience. I guess I am stuck searching the pirate sites since GW top brass evidently does not know that the Droid exists....

The bearded one
04-06-2012, 20:45
Why the hell did they not go through Amazon/Kindle? They would have hit a much wider audience. I guess I am stuck searching the pirate sites since GW top brass evidently does not know that the Droid exists....

They said something about this on facebook (something like 'we hear and respect your opinions, trololol'....), and IIRC they replied to a mail that they would come to those later after the security issues were sorted (apparently they're easier to pirate than on an Ipad)

Emissary
04-06-2012, 20:57
I don't care if I have a physical book or not really. I just don't like that the price is higher.

I also don't understand why they missed the boat and didn't include an army-builder program with the file. It just makes so much sense that it went over their head.

Wargamejunkie
04-06-2012, 21:07
If they were $10 a pop I would collect most if not all of them. If nothing else to be able to read up on what my opponents can bring.

I would still only bring a hard copy to the table. I'm not a huge fan of having to worry about my Ipad/whatever being stolen.

Razakel
04-06-2012, 21:15
They said something about this on facebook (something like 'we hear and respect your opinions, trololol'....), and IIRC they replied to a mail that they would come to those later after the security issues were sorted (apparently they're easier to pirate than on an Ipad)

This seems like flawed thinking to me, if you want to pirate the GW books, you WILL be able to find them. The security issues they're talking about are never going to be fixed, or at least will never be fixed so completely that pirating will stop altogether.

Even if you can stop piracy on Kindles and iWhatever, you still have the guy who scans all the pages of his army book and then uploads the file to a torrent.

Lord Dan
04-06-2012, 21:48
Isnt the Poll a little misleading though? It doesn't refer to what GW is actually offering?

It's a PDF with some interactive pictures, which I clarified in my opening post.

EmperorNorton
04-06-2012, 22:06
I'd be happy to pay 10€ for a digital version of an Army Book (although I'd need it to be on a different platform, I'm not an Apple fan).
That's half of what I think printed copies of the Army Book should cost at most (and did cost only a few years ago).

Bunnahabhain
04-06-2012, 22:27
Assumptions:
1)PDF means PDF, or at least some common format, not some proprietary format that I can't use on my laptop.
2) Army book and codex are interchangeable here
3) The 40k 6th core rules are good enough to get me playing it, and not drive me further towards non GW stuff
4) GW show they will incorporate updates, and not orphan the product

about 10$

I DO NOT want spinny pictures, and 300 marginally different paint schemes, I want well written, tight, and fairly well balanced rules.

EDIT

The mark-up for GW's rule & army books is already obscene, charging more for a digital book that is vastly cheaper to produce, upgrade and distribute simply shows their disdain for their customers. Remember kids, digital distribution vastly curtails or outright eliminates the cut taken by the middle men (i.e. publishers) who actually manufacture, ship & put the books on the shelves.

Remember GW are their own publishers, so that middle-man doesn't exist for them. If the actual costs of producing and shipping a physical codex* to the store are more than the 30% cut Apple takes, then GW management are totally useless, and I'll eat an army book, either paper or complete with tablet....

* to be a fair comparison to the ebook, only the marginal cost of production, not the writing costs, which are rthe same for both. Although, they should still be under 30% either way! Their overall gross margin is 76%, for reference.

slaanghoul
04-06-2012, 22:35
I'll pay the current price GW is asking which is about 25% more than the printed version.

I don't think it is far of us to expect GW to charge us less for their games just because it is in a different medium.

I'm not talking about BL fiction books.. .. . I'm talking about games here. GW asking price for Game product X (C:SM) should always be the same or more than their standard medium which is printed paper. If they charge less on digital format, people would buy the digital format and not the printed version.

Lets take a look at this for a second.

Lets say that total profit of C:SM paper back is expected to generated $100,000.

GW going digital and paper back must combine total profit of at least $100,000 or the won't release digital version.

I suspect that GW worked out the numbers and the current price point of the expensive digital version and when combined digital and paper back.... their total profit is say... $110,000 ... so they stick with the current price.

If they charge the digital version like what you guys would like which is about $10.... their combine total profit would be like $75,000 so it is a no go.

Last of all, GW intention of their Games is selling their ideas and thought. The medium that contain their ideas shouldn't lower their selling price. I know that the production cost over digital is less and they should past the saving to us, but how can GW do this with out screwing their potential profit? I understand and agree to a point that GW should past the saving production cost or at lest meet us half way on the production saving cost and save us cash... but you know we are talking about GW here:)

I think in the future GW will make the digital version very different from the print version (much more extras, like the way DVD's have extra).

I've also seen people suggest that if you buy paper back you should get a free or discount code for digital.... fair point. But what would ended up is GW would loose about 25% of their business or even more because people would give away or sell the other version to friends or others (thus... loosing a customer buyer in the process)

Lath-rael
04-06-2012, 22:35
Nah i would just pirate it. Actually i already did, since i have all army books in my phone right now. Sorry! (or not...)

It's not too expensive to include a CD or other kind of code to download in army books, to have it on a mobile device. If they are going to ask more $$ for a book that i already have, just to carry it easier, well, they are not going to have any more money from me...

Bloodknight
04-06-2012, 22:49
If they charge the digital version like what you guys would like which is about $10.... their combine total profit would be like $75,000 so it is a no go.

I don't know, 10 USD is pretty much in my *****&giggles range, 40 USD is nowhere near that. I'd actually guess they could sell a lot more if they hadn't chosen that insane price point for useless spinny pictures while fooling people with an inflated page count because of the smaller pages ;).

daemonish
04-06-2012, 23:52
There is no way in hell I will be paying that price for a digital codex I own an I pad and downloaded the trial version of the SM codex to look at it and I was really impressed. Then i went back and looked back at the price and literally swore and clicked away instantly, charging that price is utterly shameful. The fact that it costs more than a physical copy is ridiculous, if it cost the same I would consider it, because any cut apple may take will hike the price a bit, but it takes less to produce a E-book than it does a hard copy by a massive amount. Most of the interactive elements are already part of the GW online store and others are simple hyperlinks within the format, so I am absolutely disgusted they would charge so much. However the painting guides are pence and very useful so I do planning on picking up the relevant versions of those rather than pay out for the entire painting guide which i'll use about 20% of.

slaanghoul
05-06-2012, 00:58
I think the poll is a little bit miss leading. You should also state what is the price of the printed version. There were a lot of misunderstand (including me) thinking that the digital version is more expensive(about 25%), but it is not true. It cost about the same. If it cost the same, I think most people will choose to go digital(if they have iPad) rather than paper.

Lord Dan
05-06-2012, 01:35
I think the poll is a little bit miss leading. You should also state what is the price of the printed version. There were a lot of misunderstand (including me) thinking that the digital version is more expensive(about 25%), but it is not true. It cost about the same. If it cost the same, I think most people will choose to go digital(if they have iPad) rather than paper.

There is limited space in the poll question itself (I think I actually maxed out with the question above). In all of my polls I try to provide any relevant additional detail in the opening post:

...which is available through iTunes for 25 pounds. It appears to be at least somewhat interactive, is in color, and is a full version of the hard copy of the army book.

Additionally the question wasn't regarding whether or not someone would choose a digital format over a printed format, but rather I tried to get an idea of the ideal price point for the digital product.

Tupinamba
05-06-2012, 02:15
I'm not talking about BL fiction books.. .. . I'm talking about games here. GW asking price for Game product X (C:SM) should always be the same or more than their standard medium which is printed paper. If they charge less on digital format, people would buy the digital format and not the printed version.

Speaking for myself, thats certainly not the case. Id always rather have the paper version and even for a discount on the pdfs Id buy the paper version for my own main army.
Also, Id be willing to buy a lot of the pdfs for factions Id would not buy the current expensive (and very short lived...) hardback books, so GW is actually simply loosing these sells. Putting it in economic terms, I dont consider the two goods really interchangeable and the armybooks besides the ones you actually need for your own army are very elastic, so that higher prices mean lower profits and very high prices (like the current ones) mean no sales at all.

Lord Dan
05-06-2012, 02:52
Speaking for myself, thats certainly not the case. Id always rather have the paper version and even for a discount on the pdfs Id buy the paper version for my own main army.
Also, Id be willing to buy a lot of the pdfs for factions Id would not buy the current expensive (and very short lived...) hardback books, so GW is actually simply loosing these sells. Putting it in economic terms, I dont consider the two goods really interchangeable and the armybooks besides the ones you actually need for your own army are very elastic, so that higher prices mean lower profits and very high prices (like the current ones) mean no sales at all.

I agree with this. In fact at a low enough price point they actually become complimentary goods ("It's only another couple of bucks, and I can have it on my iPad too!").

aznthecapn
05-06-2012, 03:14

From what I understand, Kindles are limited by format. I have a second generation Kindle myself and there's no way it can display what the digital codex can. I have the app on my ipad and phone and haven't' encountered books that do what the codex does on a Kindle. They may offer "advanced gen Kindle only" books but I haven't seen them. This may limit the Kindle market for "specialty books" like an interactive codex.

aznthecapn
05-06-2012, 03:20
There is no way in hell I will be paying that price for a digital codex I own an I pad and downloaded the trial version of the SM codex to look at it and I was really impressed. Then i went back and looked back at the price and literally swore and clicked away instantly, charging that price is utterly shameful. The fact that it costs more than a physical copy is ridiculous, if it cost the same I would consider it, because any cut apple may take will hike the price a bit, but it takes less to produce a E-book than it does a hard copy by a massive amount. Most of the interactive elements are already part of the GW online store and others are simple hyperlinks within the format, so I am absolutely disgusted they would charge so much.

The cost of the ebook is IDENTICAL to the cost of the codex next week after price hikes. IDENTICAL. You are paying more because it came out the week before price hikes and they aren't going to print it at a lesser price. If they released it AFTER the price increase this issue would disappear and people would be complaining about the fact it costs that much and is digital, not that it costs that much and the physical copy costs less. The flyers came out at the new price point for everything as well. Are you complaining about that too?

Stop comparing the price of the two, people. The physical codex will cost the same in six days.

EmperorNorton
05-06-2012, 09:10
The cost of the ebook is IDENTICAL to the cost of the codex next week after price hikes. IDENTICAL. You are paying more because it came out the week before price hikes and they aren't going to print it at a lesser price. If they released it AFTER the price increase this issue would disappear and people would be complaining about the fact it costs that much and is digital, not that it costs that much and the physical copy costs less. The flyers came out at the new price point for everything as well. Are you complaining about that too?

Stop comparing the price of the two, people. The physical codex will cost the same in six days.

And that's supposed to make it better somehow?
It just highlights the absurdity of GW's price increases.

daemonish
05-06-2012, 12:35
And that's supposed to make it better somehow?
It just highlights the absurdity of GW's price increases.
Could not agree more.

I apologise, I forgot the price hike, still should be cheaper without any question, however given the fact the armies I collect are due for codices in the coming year or so I'll probably crack and buy them despite my protest (and probably through a film of tears and shame) and yes I have complained at length about the flyers/price hike issue.

ogretyrant
05-06-2012, 13:02
For a straight paper to pdf, would not be to botherd. But for an interactive, easy to use format like the CSM on the iPad? Yeah id pay for one of them, not as much as a paper version but I will buy one as soon as it gets released on android and I get my tablet!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-06-2012, 14:48

Right, so what you are saying is that both of them are priced at more than I want to pay? Gotcha. Considering that I can get the rules for free for almost any other miniature game I play I don't feel inclined to pay the price GW charge at all. Now that doesn't mean I haven't bought books for those other games, because I have. Just that if I want to have a look at the rules I don't need to pay some crazy fee to do so.

TheDungen
05-06-2012, 18:12
Still no postage so i'm in at current price. But i wont rebuy my army books in pdf, i'm allowed to scan them so i'll just do that instead, new ones i would buy this way instead of the old fashioned way at the current price, as said no postage and they wont break.

zak
05-06-2012, 19:29
There wasn't an option for prefer the actual real book. I would pay about the same as the real book if I had a iphone or pad, but that isn't likely to happen as I would inevitably break them!

Lord Inquisitor
05-06-2012, 22:27
I would very much like digital copies of all the army books/codecies and rulebook. Useful for perusing at times when lugging the books around isn't an option, great for checking up rules, writing "what if" army lists and so on.

I think it's a terrific idea for GW with many excellent potential ramifications to improve their product (and perceived value of product). Online or digital copy books can:
Function as advertising for the armies (download the new codex NOW!)
Build hype for an army (everyone gets access to the rules)
Increase the openess of the game as everyone can have easy access to all the rules
Incorporate errata (potentially allowing for more extensive errata, such as to points values!)
Easy reference during games if it is well constructed with many hyperlinks and bookmarks.

Fantastic idea! So much potential!

What are you charging? :wtf:

This is silliness. I want a hardcopy book for each of my armies and a pdf. I will pay for this, but not 100% extra! I'm happy to buy PDFs of armies I don't have but I'd buy the books if I were going to spend that much.

There are many ways GW could do this and make a profit. An app that included all the codex and army book info for a subscription fee would be GREAT if not priced insanely, or perhaps you could download the app for free and install add-ons at a cheap price ($5-10?). Or even provide free online codes for anyone who purchases a new book.

GW are looking at this all wrong in my opinion. What I'd do would be to make an app that included all army books and codexes for free, put it on the app store for free with advertising included, either all in-house GW advertising or just generating revenue from outside advertising. Have a paid app with all the books at respectable price. But I'd cut out the army fluff in each book, just to keep the hardcover books with something special for the background fanatic, with skeleton fluff in the online books.

loveless
05-06-2012, 22:41
What's interesting, Lord Inquisitor, is that Privateer's forth-coming app will, well, here's the release:

War Room will be available for iOS and Android devices and allows users to reference WARMACHINE and HORDES stat cards and rules, construct army lists, and track damage and status effects in game. It is free to download and includes stat cards from WARMACHINE: Prime Mk II, HORDES: Primal Mk II, WARMACHINE and HORDES starter products, and a special selection of additional cards from the Retribution of Scyrah, Mercenaries, and Minions factions. Additional decks can be purchased in the app for $6.99.

http://privateerpress.com/war-room/warmachine-and-hordes-war-room-faq

Now, that seems to be giving you the core for free and the add-ons for cash. I'm not sure how expansions are handled (i.e., do you need to buy an additional "deck" with every book? I'm sure someone knows the answer, but that someone isn't me), but...well...

My point: If Privateer can do this and provide an "ultimate bundle" at around the $60 point, why can't GW do the same thing with 40K and WHFB condensed into rules and army lists for a similar price point (similar as in "value for money" - I'd say there's a lot more GW material out there than PP material).

eBooks are lovely things, but this hardly addresses one of GW's biggest hurdles - cost of entry. Frankly, their books aren't worth the asking price now. Adding a few interactive pictures doesn't increase the value enough to make them worth the same asking price.

They could do so much, but always choose to do so little.

The bearded one
06-06-2012, 03:17
They could do so much, but always choose to do so little.

Pretty much describes their whole problem

Chaos Undecided
06-06-2012, 10:11
Call me old fashioned if you like but I much prefer to have something solid for my money I'd only consider buying an electronic only version of a book if it was much cheaper than the alternative, I expect it would be too much to ask that for future releases of an army book buying the physical copy gave you licence to download the electronic version for free although only having an Iphone I wouldnt get much use out of it in any case.

Lord Inquisitor
06-06-2012, 19:28
What's interesting, Lord Inquisitor, is that Privateer's forth-coming app will, well, here's the release:

War Room will be available for iOS and Android devices and allows users to reference WARMACHINE and HORDES stat cards and rules, construct army lists, and track damage and status effects in game. It is free to download and includes stat cards from WARMACHINE: Prime Mk II, HORDES: Primal Mk II, WARMACHINE and HORDES starter products, and a special selection of additional cards from the Retribution of Scyrah, Mercenaries, and Minions factions. Additional decks can be purchased in the app for $6.99.
That's interesting indeed. I don't play warmachine but I'd really like to and this sort of little thing that makes me want to try it all the more.

Zeroth
06-06-2012, 22:38
I actually voted 40$, not that I am in need of buying them as I have already downloaded them all. But 40$ really ain't much, at least with the value of the $ now.

Mercules
07-06-2012, 14:46
I am really starting to dislike physical books. I have purchased most of the Pathfinder rules in PDF for about $10 a book and really like them in PDF version. On the computer I can click on the name in the index and it jumps me to the start of that chapter or section. Some things are linked. For my other books I've started purchasing only digital versions. I may regret that if the Zombie Apocalypse comes to pass and I need some entertainment that doesn't require electricity, but I think I'll manage somehow... like raid a library at that point.

Having things ranging from gaming books, to Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" at my fingertips when I end up having to wait in a line, or for someone who is running late is fantastic. I would definitely buy PDF copies of the books in ~preference~ of the unwieldy physical objects.

I hear critiques like, "Well if you spill your drink on your notepad your books are all ruined. Not so with a physical book. " which I find ridiculous. Yeah I'll probably have to buy a new device, but most times I won't as those notepads tend to be built to withstand basic use including the occasional near hit with beverages. I've gotten the screen wet and simply wiped the liquid away while a book would have absorbed the fluid rather quickly and the pages might have warped. In addition, I don't lose the book. I might have to buy a new device, but the digital copy can be loaded on my new device and I am set again.

That being said, charging the same price for a Digital copy of a book is stupid. Most of the cost of a book is printing and listing it on iTunes or some other server for sale can not be nearly as expensive as doing a print run. So pass on the savings to your customers and encourage them to purchase more products. I voted $20 knowing GW tends to error on the side of profit. Paizo sells their $50 gaming books for $10 in digital format. How can they do that and make a profit? Because printing really is the main expensive of a book and GW needs to realize we know that and price accordingly.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-06-2012, 22:00
(similar as in "value for money" - I'd say there's a lot more GW material out there than PP material).

Hmm, depends on how you count I think. Just did a quick count and I think Cygnar alone have something like 71 different choices, not counting mercenary and minion options and not counting anything in the forthcoming book that isn't listed on Maelstrom already. Now it might only be the four main factions for Warmachine that have that number, even if the other 8 factions have less that's still hundreds of separate units/entries.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-06-2012, 22:48
I wouldn't buy it at all, I do own an Ipad but I won't see me taking my ipad to an tournament. And apart from that I just prefer a book instead of a pdf, okay you can print a pdf but a book is so much nicer.

Cheers,
G

Plexi
08-06-2012, 01:27
I would never pay any amount of money for something I can type up myself.

kane40k
08-06-2012, 02:17
If it was 10 (yes gbp) id be interested, maybe even pay more. . . I wish they would do them for free, but their bussiness model isnt built around that. . . shame . . . i should imagine it would encourage more people to play different armies, i for one would have more than i do now if i didnt have to buy the book/rules.

Urgat
08-06-2012, 08:06
Really? The cost of the book is ultimately negligible compared to the cost of the army itself in the long run...

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-06-2012, 08:20
Yeah, but if you get the books for free/very cheap people can look at many more armies and maybe get tempted to play them. If you need to pay a decent amount to even get the rules to see if you really want them then it's much less likely that you will get the rules, and thus might not get inspired to do a force of them. At least that's the idea behind it. For me at least, it seems to work. If I have rules for something I'm more likely to be tempted. If I have to buy the rules then I need to be tempted before I even investigate it.

punygreenskins
08-06-2012, 08:36
They are probably making less from the sale of each e-book via the Apple store as Apple take 30% commission. So for each 25 book, GW will get 17.50.
I would like to have the option to pay extra (say 5) if I own the Army Book to download the ebook copy, but I certainly won't purchase both the paper copy and ebook copy of the same book! (Oh, and these books are much more then just PDFs!!)

shelfunit.
08-06-2012, 08:56
Really? The cost of the book is ultimately negligible compared to the cost of the army itself in the long run...

I suppose it depends on what you define as the "long run". For the 4/5 editions of the Empire book you are currently looking at approximately (depending on which price bracket you bought them at) 70 for the books, plus more if you started earlier than 4th ed, even at the prices for armies today that isn't really "negligable".

Urgat
08-06-2012, 09:23
If you're looking at the books only, I agree with you, but not if you take time into account. The 5th ed Empire armybook was released in 1996, the 8th ed one is from this year. 70 pounds in 16 years (more, of course, we can expect the current one to last for 4 or 5 more years) is negligible, that's less than 4.5 pounds per year. And if you commit to buying the book every edition, you're not trying it out anymore anyway.

By the way, I feel your sig is really not in tune with the general feeling anymore ;) Maybe it's time to try and convince zombies for real :D
Now is it my internet connection or Warseer that lags so much today, that is the question...

shelfunit.
08-06-2012, 10:53
If you're looking at the books only, I agree with you, but not if you take time into account. The 5th ed Empire armybook was released in 1996, the 8th ed one is from this year. 70 pounds in 16 years (more, of course, we can expect the current one to last for 4 or 5 more years) is negligible, that's less than 4.5 pounds per year. And if you commit to buying the book every edition, you're not trying it out anymore anyway.

Again it depends - I see what you are saying, but the same is true if you bought your army with your first book - you'd only need to spend a bit each edition to keep up with the new "must have" unit and from 6th to7th ed empire probably just the book.