PDA

View Full Version : Reforming after charging.

Kayosiv
06-06-2012, 10:01
I recall reading in the rulebook, although I cannot find it, that you are able to reform (if you pass a leadership test) after charging, but don't remember the specifics, so I pose the following questions.

1. If I charge and break the unit in combat and choose to pursue, can I reform if I catch the unit and destroy it?

2. If I charge, the unit flees, and I catch and destroy them, can I reform?

3. If I charge, wipe the unit out in 1 combat and overrun, can I reform?

4. Does being frenzied (and thus forced to pursue and overrun) change the answer to 1-3?

Fubar
06-06-2012, 10:16
1. No
2. Yes
3. No (if you overun you cannot Reform)
4. No

Kayosiv
06-06-2012, 10:18
Ty for the quick response.

Fubar
06-06-2012, 10:29
1. No
2. Yes
3. No (if you overun you cannot Reform)
4. No

Just to add, if, when overrunning / Pursuing you come into contact with another enemy unit, which happened to be fleeing at the same time, then you are allowed to reform after destroying that unit.

dms505
06-06-2012, 19:21
Just to add, if, when overrunning / Pursuing you come into contact with another enemy unit, which happened to be fleeing at the same time, then you are allowed to reform after destroying that unit.

Interesting and curious. Now I have a similar question/s. Is there a limit to overrun moves in a phase? For instance say you just smacked a unit and it flees, and the 2 units to the side of it also fled and are approx. 2-3" apart. You have a unit along the side and charge next turn, hit and wipe out the first unit. Are you then allowed to overrun into the next and wipe them out, then on to the next?

Lord Inquisitor
06-06-2012, 19:33
There is a limit.
- You can only charge once a turn and you can only pursue/overrun once a turn.
- If you charge and destroy a unit that is fleeing, you can make a Ld test to reform but you CANNOT overrun.
- If you win combat and then pursue/overrun into another fleeing enemy unit, you destroy them, as well as any unit you are pursuing (if you roll high enough of course).
- You can fight twice in one turn, if you charge one unit, break them and then charge a unit engaged in combat with one of your units that hasn't fought yet, but you can't pursue again.

AntaresCD
06-06-2012, 19:36
If you overrun into a fleeing unit then, as per overrun/pursue rules you resolve it as a charge against the target (with no charge reaction possible). Since you just completed a charge against a fleeing target then you follow the relevent rules, namely you complete the charge as normal, including closing the door, then remove the target unit. You then may take a leadership test to see if you can reform. You don't overrun again. You cannot pusue/overrun a second time. The closest you get is if you have to pusue or overrun into an enemy unit that is enganged in close combat with another one of your units and if that combat was not resolved yet, your first unit gets to fight in that combat too. If you win that fight also that original unit must restrain and gets to reform. Note that the original unit can only pursue/overrun once, but can fight in two combats while the second unit that you joined can overrun/pusue as normal which can start a chain reaction. The order of your combats can matter.

The relevant rules are on pages 23 and 58 of the BRB.

Edit: Looks like Lord Inquisitor beat me to it by a few minutes. =)

Lord Inquisitor
06-06-2012, 19:49
Well, you have page numbers. ;)

Although one slight correction, note that you need a Ld test to reform if you charge into a fleeing enemy, but for some reason you don't need a Ld test if you overrun into a fleeing enemy.

Kayosiv
06-06-2012, 20:01
Interesting...

AntaresCD
06-06-2012, 21:42
Well, you have page numbers. ;)

Although one slight correction, note that you need a Ld test to reform if you charge into a fleeing enemy, but for some reason you don't need a Ld test if you overrun into a fleeing enemy.

Yeah I saw that too when I was double-checking the page numbers. Honestly I'm not sure which is right. It directly references the rules for charging a fleeing enemy, which requires a test to reform, but then says you get to reform after. The sentence after the page reference seems to be a summary of the result so it can be taken either way. It happens so rarely though. I would personally do it with a test, but either is arguable, as written.

Edit: Actually after reading it more closely, I agree. No reform test in that case. They say to move into contact like on page 23 then the target is destroyed and you reform. That is oddly inconsistent.