PDA

View Full Version : 1200 points: Plague Priest on Furnace as a General any way to make this viable?

Aéquitas
07-06-2012, 22:29
Okay I'm currently a bit stuck. I want to make a pretty hardcore list for a doubles tournament where my partner takes care of the magic phase. My job is to take a ton of hard hitting stuff to smash things up, like Furnace, Doomwheels and/or an Abomination.

Now my Question:

Is there a way to build and play my Plague Priest in such a way that I can risk him being my General (we both need to supply a general)
The other option would be using a naked warlock engineer with doomrocket stuck in a bunker as my General haha.

So in short I need a General and I can't take a Grey Seer to furfill that roll. A warlord could but is a bit more points then I hoped to have to spend. Any thoughts on this?

GodlessM
07-06-2012, 22:33
He can fit and be viable, the issue is that then you can't fit a BSB.

Aéquitas
07-06-2012, 22:41
He can fit and be viable, the issue is that then you can't fit a BSB.

Lets focus on the fit and be viable part :). I don't mind risking a game without a BSB especially when my most important unit is unbreakable

ftayl5
08-06-2012, 00:27
The problem with your general being on a furnace is that he has a huge frontage, no save, only T5 and 2 wounds. ie. if he isn't shot up before combat, he definitely won't last long in combat.
And when skaven are so reliant on leadership...
It's very very very risky. But if it's a risk you're willing to take... few can stand up to a furnace monk unit at 1200pts

sknich
08-06-2012, 01:01
I wouldnt worry about him dying too much. Unless the furnace is destroyed the unit pushing it is still unbreakable and ItP. Plus, they dont get the VP until they destroy it so there is some points denial too. I think its a good choice.

GodlessM
08-06-2012, 01:18
The problem with your general being on a furnace is that he has a huge frontage, no save, only T5 and 2 wounds.

He only has no save if the person taking him chooses not to give him one. Armour of Destiny and Furnace, and he's standing at T5 with a 4+/4++. That's not an easy nut to crack.

sknich
08-06-2012, 05:16
Personally I wouldn't spend the points on him, just not worth it. His worth is mainly in the furnace itself. Ld 6 is all he confers, and unless you are rolling in slaves, that just isnt that much to pay a ward save for.

ftayl5
08-06-2012, 06:09
He only has no save if the person taking him chooses not to give him one. Armour of Destiny and Furnace, and he's standing at T5 with a 4+/4++. That's not an easy nut to crack.

He's a wizard and doesn't have access to any mundane armour, therefore he cannot take magical armour. But he could take a talisman.

At OP: You have 400pts for your Heroes. A level 2 priest on a Furnace with 4+ ward talisman and no offensive gear is 330pts (I'm assuming you want level 2, though I don't know how much magic your team-mate is bringing) this leaves literally just enough for a BSB chieftain with no extras at all which, as long as you bunker him up, will be just fine.

Alternatively drop him to level 1 and get yourself a flail and an enchanted shield or something for the BSB.

Personally I wouldn't spend the points on him
Unless you aren't taking any slaves or giant rat darts, then this is somewhat true.
I still would because the difference between LD 5/8 and LD 6/9 is quite significant.

TheOneHawk
08-06-2012, 07:14
Um, he has 300 points for heroes. Can he take a Plague Priest on Furnace at all?

Aéquitas
08-06-2012, 07:17
Okay it seems this just isnt viable. I think I will just go for a warlock engineer with doomrocket in a Bunker of clanrats as my General and wreck havoc with the Furnace without worrying about the priest :)

Plague Priest + Furnace is 250 points btw

sknich
08-06-2012, 19:37
Just slap a plague censer on him and go to town. If each list has to keep 1200 points then there wont be much that can stand up to it. Plus high initiative on the hero should keep him alive at least from one round of combat.

ftayl5
08-06-2012, 23:20
Um, he has 300 points for heroes. Can he take a Plague Priest on Furnace at all?

Oh... yeah wow I need to sleep more.

Just slap a plague censer on him and go to town.

Don't ever, evergive a plague furnace monk a plague censer, he'll be in base contact with so many of your own models and he's more likely to kill more plague monks than whatever he's fighting. Just take a flail.

Askari
09-06-2012, 19:13
Just take a naked Plague Priest on Furnace, and take a Chieftain with Charmed Shield. 300 on the dot, Chief can be the General.