PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bowl - Viability of Amazons

Brimstone
02-05-2006, 20:45
I'd like to ask the forum on their opinion of the Amazon BB team?

I normally play Chaos Dwarves who have a great time killing and maiming but rarely score. I'd like something a bit more competitive this time so I'm thinking about Amazons.

Don't worry about giving me advice on other teams as I have something specific in mind and need a female team.

Thanks for your advice :)

loony
02-05-2006, 20:53
They're quite nice. But never play against Dwarfs!

Skinnydookie
02-05-2006, 21:02
The problem with the Amazon list is that it is very boring! Straight stats across the board = not much fun.

As to how the team performs- you will find that if you survive the first few games your team will become very powerful against all but Dwarf (and Chaos Dwarf?)teams. Take Block as the 1st skill for those that dont have it and you have a team of blodgers all the way.

I expect the Amazon team to be revisited at some point and the rules worked on. The models are nice enough though.

Jet
02-05-2006, 21:11
Good at low TR except all non-dwarves. Strong up to around 160/170 I'd say, after that they become too fragile.

Anyone know if they're getting altered for BB5?

Brimstone
02-05-2006, 21:31
Thanks for the advice so far, I'll be facing at least one dwarf team I think. So now I'm in two minds about staying with my brutal but slow Chaos Dwarves or going with the Amazons.

Skinnydookie
02-05-2006, 21:39
They won't be changed for the new release of Bloodbowl; i dont think they have had enough time to playtest new rules for them (i dont think anything has been agreed on as what to change).

Having one Dwarf team could keep them fun, i.e escaping injury against most and then......

From a competitive point of view i'm not sure you will find them that much more free scoring than Chaos Dwarves. I personally have found (pro) elves one of the most fun teams to use but have also found that they tend to die in droves! Great Catchers and Blitzers though.

loony
02-05-2006, 21:42
Just stay CD. They"re my main team too, no women-things can ever be better than us!

Cpt. Drill
03-05-2006, 15:18
Amozons are very good!

In a league the feel pain at AV7 but hopefully you will rack up the wins and be okay!

If i rember their blizers are expensive.. all you need to do is get a few ladies scoring a few times give them block and then you have blitzers for free :)

russian
03-05-2006, 17:12
amazons are good at the outset but suffer greatly as soon as peopel start getting tackle and the such, and the new set of skills for the update looks cool, there being grab which is a defensive version of sidestep which is nasty, preferably i would stick with ya cd, its my team atm, got rotters (which are changin a lot) skaven, and pro elves which ive just got hold of to use in the playoffs to get into the local league

liquiddream78
03-05-2006, 17:18
I find Amazons to pretty easy to beat. Their AV is pretty bad and dodge, as mentioned earlier, does no good against dwarfs becasue of tackle.

Amazons would be a good choice if they revised them by giving them either one of the following:

1. AV 8 for all positions
2. MV 7 for all positions

This would difinately improve their chances vs dwarfs teams.

sparks
04-05-2006, 08:57
well, speaking as a chaos dwarf player, i've played against amazons twice in the league i'm currently in, and i've lost twice. granted, they were both only 1-0 defeats, and in the game last night, that was only because i couldn't actually roll a successful pick up attempt from at least 5(oh, and he used his wizard at an apt moment, i on the other hand forgot i had mine, so forgot to try and hit his ball carrier and went for a 1 die blitz instead, getting a push back which was just not enough)

still, i found them to be quite competitive, get your blitzers guard, spread the SPP points around a bit and you have a pretty useful team!

changing them to MV 7 just to give them a chance to be better against dwarves would actually be unfairer on the dwarf teams. not every dwarf player has tackle remember(in fact, probably only 5 on the pitch, and there's always got to be some lambs offered for the slaughter :) ) AV8 isn't a terrible idea, but then again, still not entirely sure about this one. that would make them almost a human team that starts off with dodge and with cheaper re-rolls from memory!

Corax
20-05-2006, 12:49
From my observations, and the one game that I have played against them, I have found that the AV 7 is a bigger problem than the Tackle issue.

Although you will not get as much benefit from Dodge against those teams that have it, most teams will really not have that many players with Tackle until well into the season (as most people will buy Block as their first skill choice). As Dwarfs (and their Chaos counterparts) are the only ones who start with Tackle, I don't really see it as being that big of a deal, as it will only be a factor some of the time and against some teams.

However, your AV will be 7 all the time, regardless of who your opponent is. To me, attrition (ie. casualties) over the course of a season is much more of a concern than occassionally encountering someone with Tackle. AV 7 means that you have to play a lot like an Elf. That means only blocking when you have to, trying to keep out of base contact with other models, and even lying down on the pitch to avoid blocks. If you are playing like this, you can forget getting many casualties (unless you get very lucky).

Basically, I think that Amazons are poor man's elves (that's not a slag-off, its a comparison). You either play them cause you like the models (check out: www.shadowforge.com.au for other suitable models), or because you want to play a team that focuses on scoring, but offers more of a challenge. In many ways, Amazons are a lot like Skaven. Low AV, good (well, average) movement, average strength, average agility. They both play a style of game that is mainly focused on scoring touchdowns and minimising casualties. Like Halflings, Goblins and other... er... novelty teams; they are only for people who want a bit of an extra challenge. IMHO, anyway...

Vet.Sister
25-05-2006, 21:38
In many ways, Amazons are a lot like Skaven. Low AV, good (well, average) movement, average strength, average agility. They both play a style of game that is mainly focused on scoring touchdowns and minimising casualties. Like Halflings, Goblins and other... er... novelty teams; they are only for people who want a bit of an extra challenge. IMHO, anyway...

I have played amazons in a BB league. They tend towards a 'finesse' style of play much like elves. The dodge ability is good for movement and I usually stay out of contact with bruiser teams if I can help it. However the first skill upgrade I'd recommend is guard. Look at the Norse team as an example. Having a frontline with guard will go a long way towards survivability.
Good Luck:)