Vampire; BSB, armor of fortune, great weapon, beguile, quick blood

47 zombies, standard
20 zombies

5 dire wolves
5 dire wolves

35 ghouls, ghast

12 crypt horrors,haunter

Varghulf

I know I have to shuffle something around for a dispel scroll and I'm a little uneasy going into it with such small blocks of zombies; in reality the only thing I plan on casting is ION. The Ghoul King is staying, although his kit can always be revised and everything else is up for discussion.

Thanks for reading.

hazmiter
10-06-2012, 12:16
Aura of dark majesty is useful to have, fear is the best weapon in the arsenal.
Your going to struggle against magically defencive lists too.

madival
10-06-2012, 17:53
Zombies need to start at 40 at least. 20 die in a single round of.combat

Nom-nom-baby
10-06-2012, 22:05
I'll probably mash one Zombie unit of 20 with the unit of 27, if I can get 2 turns out of a zombie unit I'll be fine with that.

Hazmiter - can you elaborate how a magically defensive army will cause me problems and how I might work around that? Also, do you have a pertinent recommendation on how I can use aura of dark majesty in my army list?

Vilrandir
10-06-2012, 22:24
I have limited experience, but it seems the dire wolves units are far too small to survive or be of much use. The varghulf is ok, but I would try to make space for a terrorgheist instead. I also agree that zombie units need to be larger. Maybe you could go with 2 units of 30ish zombies?

thrawn
10-06-2012, 22:37
SGK; red fury, dragon bane, potion of STR, sword of bloodshed
Master Necromancer (lv3)

Vampire; heavy armor, ROFD, quick blood, enchanted shield
Vampire; BSB, armor of fortune, great weapon, beguile, quick blood

27 zombies, standard
20 zombies
20 zombies

5 dire wolves
5 dire wolves

35 ghouls, ghast

12 crypt horrors,haunter

Varghulf

I know I have to shuffle something around for a dispel scroll and I'm a little uneasy going into it with such small blocks of zombies; in reality the only thing I plan on casting is ION. The Ghoul King is staying, although his kit can always be revised and everything else is up for discussion.

Thanks for reading.

if your going strigoi and your planning on using horrors try really hard to find room for the mortis engine. it takes your guys from good, to great. even better if you find room for the corpse cart.

Nom-nom-baby
11-06-2012, 02:10
Thrawn - That was my gameplan for moving up to 2500 points, at 2250 I don't feel I'd have enough to protect it with this list. I feel you though, I am very excited to get the Mortis Engine into play sooner than later.

Vilrander - I too am of limited experience, that being said, I'm not looking for much use out of the Dire Wolves. I'm more inclined wainting to be surprised by any success they bring.

I'll edit the list and combine two of the zombie units.

woodster17
11-06-2012, 02:19
Units of 5 wolves are fine, they're not meant for hard hitting combat units, chaff and redirect is the name of the game there. Are you dead set on the Ghoul King for the general? He's kind of squishy, you've only tooled him up for slaughter, not to take hits.

hazmiter
11-06-2012, 02:36
Aura dark mejesty will modify ld, more chance of failed ld tests.
Maybe buff up a necro or even 2 if you can afford it.
Channeling staff will also aide here.

Nom-nom-baby
11-06-2012, 02:55
Hazmiter - I know what aura of dark majesty does, thanks for the recap. Please give some specific notes as to how you would change the current list posted at the top of the thread to achieve the message you're trying to convey.

Woodster17 - Read the initial post, I'm up for any ideas on his equipment.

hazmiter
11-06-2012, 04:38
Will do mate, at work on quick break, will do after I finish. Have book at home.

Moss
11-06-2012, 05:16
Where are the characters going? I'm guessing necro in the small zombies and all 3 vamps in the big one?

hazmiter
11-06-2012, 08:09
Ok, the strigoi, if you give him aura of dark majesty, I'm assuming he will be joining the ghouls???
It will enable your ghouls some survivability, that -1 in a 6" area is very handy, and will allow you to chew through things, it also increases the chance of the enemy fleeing if they lose combat.
I don't know what you could swap out though :(
Unless you give aura of dark majesty to your bsb, as well as the -3ld test base contact ability..... Then he would have some additional protection, due to a minus 4 ld test before blows are stuck.
What's the plan with the bsb???? Is he there to stop the melt downs by -1 if you lose any combats???

winslm
12-06-2012, 01:20
In my opinion your army has a few problems.

1. Low strength: You will have problems with armies that have a good armor save. The ghouls are great at dishing out poison wounds, but at strength 3 an enemy makes too many saves. The strength potion is one use.
2. Two lords: I have found that one tooled out vampire lord does better than the vampire and master necromancer combination. A single lord also costs less.
3. No scroll caddy: I always include a cheap necromancer or basic vampire with a scroll of dispel. You will want that for when your enemy is about to cast dwellers.
4. No level 4 wizard. I have found this can make a difference.
5. I do not believe people can effectively use 4 wizards and the ROFD. I have been down the road of adding several wizards and I never have had enough power dice to use them all. One or two bad magic phases and all the points are wasted. I know you stated that you will focus on casting invocation. However, with your ghoul themed army rerolling misses from using vanhals gives you an extra chance at getting a 6 for poison.

I understand with personal style and limited funds people make different choices. A ghoul themed army is fun. However, from my experience of what wins, I would completely change the army. I would do the following:

1. Go to only one lord maxed out as a lv 4 vampire lore wizard/combat killer. I can post mine if you wish. Have one vampire hero lv 2 vampire lore wizard BSB with a scroll of dispel and some defensive armor.
2. Remove the ghouls, remove the Varghulf, trim the crypt horrors to 7 or 8.
3. Make all zombies one unit. Add a large unit of skeletons with spears. Add a third redirect unit of wolfs. Spend no more than 25% on core.
4. Add a center block horde of 45 to 50 grave guard with two handed weapons and the banner of the burrows.