PDA

View Full Version : Charging

warplock
10-06-2012, 11:24
I want to double check something: Two units declare a charge, they are both in the front arc of the unit they're charging, but there isn't room for them both to fit at the front of the enemy unit. Rule book says move charges straight forward but then you get a free wheel, this could feasibly allow one of the charging units to end up in the flank of the enemy unit, and get bonuses for flank charging etc.
Something in me is whispering that they can't charge the flank if they didn't start in the side arc, but I can't find the rule to back this up.

T10
10-06-2012, 12:07
No, the rules don't allow for contacting a different side than the charging unit starts in, even if this creates the inconvenience of not getting all of your charging units into contact.

Hell Storm
11-06-2012, 00:00
If both declare and make the charge, then you will wheel around so both units are partially touching the enemy unit in the arc they are in. Remember that you must still get the maximum number of total models into contact.

T10
11-06-2012, 09:26
That solves the issue of two units charging an both units making contact, but it does not seem directly relevant to the OP's question. I can only assume that when he says that only one of the two chargers can make contact, then he means exactly that.

AntaresCD
11-06-2012, 17:43
If both chargers can fit in some fashion, then you must bring in both in a fashion that maximizes models in contact. If only one fits then the controlling player picks which ones makes it and the other one is a failed charge.

And as the prior posters stated, you're stuck with the arc that is determined from your position prior to the charge.

Hell Storm
12-06-2012, 02:14
That solves the issue of two units charging an both units making contact, but it does not seem directly relevant to the OP's question. I can only assume that when he says that only one of the two chargers can make contact, then he means exactly that.

He never said that only one made it, he said that both of the unit's frontages are too small for both to fit. If that is the case and both charges were declared, you must try to have both make some kind of contact.

Rudra34
12-06-2012, 02:47
Simple answer to a simple question: If you don't start in a position to get a flank charge, then you do not, ever, under any circumstance, get to charge the enemy's flank.

T10
12-06-2012, 09:13
He never said that only one made it, he said that both of the unit's frontages are too small for both to fit.

I've noticed that I've picked up a habit of trying to correct people. It annoys them, it seems.

warplock
13-06-2012, 12:23
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I see that it is covered under 'flank and rear charges', wherein we are taught that is a unit starts in the frontal zone, it charges to the front, and so on for each zone. I guess I was expecting to see a more explicit restriction i.e. spelling out that you *must* make contact with the front of the enemy unit if you are in the frontal zone. However the rules do create this restriction well enough anyway upon a proper reading, so I guess that's not needed. Many thanks!

Wesser
13-06-2012, 17:48
On a related note:

Unit A is in Unit B's side arc
Unit A wishes to charge Unit B and makes the roll. However due to impassable terrain it is impossible for unit to actually move into contact with Unit B's flank.

What happens?

1. Unit A is unable to charge because he can't complete the charge

2. Unit A instead charge Unit B's front

3. Unit B must wheel away from the impassable terrain until Unit A is able to charge its flank

What do you say?

Mercules
13-06-2012, 17:55
On a related note:

Unit A is in Unit B's side arc
Unit A wishes to charge Unit B and makes the roll. However due to impassable terrain it is impossible for unit to actually move into contact with Unit B's flank.

What happens?

1. Unit A is unable to charge because he can't complete the charge

2. Unit A instead charge Unit B's front

3. Unit B must wheel away from the impassable terrain until Unit A is able to charge its flank

What do you say?

Well, the BRB says 1.

T10
13-06-2012, 18:40
Also, remember that you are not allowed to declare charges that cannot be completed. Allowances are made for units that may potentially be moved out of the way (e.g. A blocking enemy unit may flee from a different charge, or a blocking friendly unit may also declare a charge and possibly be moved before the blocked unit), but blocking terrain typically remains where it is,

Wesser
13-06-2012, 18:57
Well, the BRB says 1.

Where? All we could find was "aligning to the enemy" on page 20 which suggest "3"

SanDiegoSurrealist
13-06-2012, 19:09

Wouldn't they both hit but one would be forced t be caddy corner?

Hell Storm
13-06-2012, 19:13
Where? All we could find was "aligning to the enemy" on page 20 which suggest "3"

If unit A can touch unit B but can't close the door, then unit B must do it. (p. 22)
If you cannot get unit A to touch unit B, then the charge fails. (same page)

Mercules
13-06-2012, 19:15

You do not Close the Door or align if you can't even contact the enemy unit. First you have to be able to contact them ON THE SIDE for the section you start in. If you can't contact then you don't even get to the "Aligning to the Enemy" portion and you stated you couldn't make contact.

Yamabushi
18-06-2012, 03:12
Sorry to necro this thread. Mercules, can you please point me to the section which says

"First you have to be able to contact them ON THE SIDE for the section you start in"

as we have an issue whether the following charge on the eagles can be done.

One side claims the infantry block can declare a combined charge against both eagles and the eagles will wheel in to contact the block to the front, as its a frontal charge.

T10
18-06-2012, 06:02

Wouldn't they both hit but one would be forced t be caddy corner?

Corner contact is still contact, so the daemon player could have either, both or neither make corner contact with the Goblin.

Mercules
18-06-2012, 14:59
Sorry to necro this thread. Mercules, can you please point me to the section which says

"First you have to be able to contact them ON THE SIDE for the section you start in"

as we have an issue whether the following charge on the eagles can be done.

One side claims the infantry block can declare a combined charge against both eagles and the eagles will wheel in to contact the block to the front, as its a frontal charge.

Pg. 21:

A Charging Unit's position when the charge is declared determines whether it charges into the front, flank, or rear of the enemy unit. If the chargin unit is in the target's frontal zone when the charge is declared then it charges into the front.

That says to me you are in the front zone, you charge the front, not the flank. On top of that Pg 20:

Once the charging unit contacts the enemy unit it must perform a sceond bonus wheel if required to bring its front facing into flush contact with the facing of the enemy unit that has been charged, maximising the number of models in base contact on both sides. We refer to this as 'closing the door'.
and then on Pg. 22:

In some cases the enemy unit might have to close the door with the chargers instead (see diagram), as they would do in reality.

As I see it, "closing the door" is a wheel and you can't wheel from contact on your Flank to contact on your Front, Rear, or other Flank. If they could contact the corner, that is slightly different, but contacting the flank and trying to "wheel" the enemy to come all the way around to their front is a no-no. First you didn't charge their front and second they can't "wheel" to bring themselves flush.

Yamabushi
18-06-2012, 16:44
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation Mercules. Some members of my gaming club still cannot wrap their head over the situation in the picture and I am by no means an eloquent speaker. :)