PDA

View Full Version : My (cute, small,..) Alaitoc Army

ancient god
02-05-2006, 21:38
Hey folks.

Welcome to the totally unasked-for heads-up on my growing Alaitoc host..!

In this thread I want to present you the modest host I'm preparing for the upcoming Medusa V campaign and enable you to get a look of my stuff and me to get some feedback on my stuff. :3

I'll start off with my half-painted Seer Council:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/councilWIP01.jpg

Here we have a better shot of my two Farseers:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/FS02.jpg
Ignore the comments, the pic was used before. ;3

My first troops choice, a squad of defenders:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/guardiansWIP01.jpg
Only the blue is done so far. The prosperous fruit of my self-proclaimed day off today.

Here's a linked pic with the test Guardian - He's what the rest of the squad will look like in the end:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/guardiansWIP02.jpg

And here's a Wraith Lord I shot myself for 6 €. That's about 7.5 USD, I think:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/WLwip01.jpg
Also very WIP. The blue is still in the works, hopefully I'll make some progress on him and the Guardians tomorrow night. I plan to leave the head blue and just give him the moon and sword on the forehead.

Alright, give me some feedback and such, please! :3
..And please forgive the abominably manga-like smileys, the board wouldn't let me have the real ones along with the pics. X(

Cheers,
AG

Great Harlequin
02-05-2006, 21:46
Awesome paint job, really. If the rest of your stuff'll look like those Farseers, you may well have an award-winning army on your hands.

I particularly like the wraithbone; I'm not usually keen on such light colours for it, but you've pulled it off really well.

Now get the rest finished for the campaign!

McMullet
02-05-2006, 21:51
Beautiful painting! Are the Guardians drybrushed and/or washed, or did you "manually" highlight all the edges?

ancient god
02-05-2006, 21:57
Now get the rest finished for the campaign!

As you wish, Great Harlequin! :p

McMullet, actually, I used both techniques. They were first drybrushed, then dabbed in 3 layers to get the patchy Alaitoc Blue (tm) look, and afterwards highlighted manually (using a quite stark light blue). To finish it off and tie it together, they were washed from top to toe with a mix of black and blue washes.

Thanks for your nice comments. :)

Cheers!

ionfish
02-05-2006, 21:57
My one real complaint would be that the Wraithlord is very static. Other than that, nice job; I particularly like the blue-helmeted Farseer.

noneedforaname
02-05-2006, 21:59
No.1 im suprised you got such strong blues and bone effect on your farseer etc over black. im very impressed this to me shows very good technique and understanding to building up a colour. well done.

No.2 love the blue on the wraithlord. reminds me of being underwater. this seems fitting to me for a wraithlord as effectively the see the world like a diver see's a person above the surface. an impression not the full detail and ever shifting.

Tussky
02-05-2006, 22:03
One of the nicest eldar i ever seen!Keep posting!I really like them!

highmarshaldave
02-05-2006, 22:05
I'd be honoured to have my ass handed to me on a plate by such an army. That you can paint like this is good, that you have the motivation and perseverence to carry it over a wole force is just amazing. Top marks mate.

Dave out.

KayvaanShrike
02-05-2006, 22:06
Not often you seen Alaitoc. They look superb, very nice effect with the blue on the Wraithlord there. And the yellow is very crisp and neat. I like the runes on the cloak of the farseer as well, very well done. What else is going to be in your force? New rangers? (do alaitoc use rangers?) when they come out?

Luke
02-05-2006, 22:06
Your painting is fantastic! Some of the best eldar I have seen period! Your yellows are also some of the most superb I have seen. YOure painting is silky smooth, I love the witchblades. Cant wait to see them finished.

ancient god
02-05-2006, 22:17
Holy Moly.

Scary, how fast this forum goes. :P Thanks for tha fast and positive replies!

ionfish, point taken, he is. I was too lazy to do something fun with him because he was just a nice, cheap addition to the existing stuff. And also I'm droolingly (can you say that?! *eyebrows* ) waiting for the rumoured new one this winter.

noneedforaname, done this for a while, and seeing I've never finished an army, really, at least the technique should've made some progress. ;) The blue's just copied from that lovely Vyper in the Codex.

highmarshaldave, visit Europe and we'll talk about that ass-handing! Don't be too nice to me before I've actually finished these minis..! I'll get spoiled and abandon the project - it has happened before. ;)

KayvaanShrike, Alaitoc is actually the Ranger Craftworld. I will definitely buy at least one squad of them as they look absolutely gorgeous. I'm thinking about Dire Avengers and a Falcon as soon-to-be-bought additions.

Again, thanks all, real nice comments. :)

Cheers!

ionfish
02-05-2006, 22:21
You and me both mate. In anticipation of the new Eldar releases I've just gone out and got myself a Wave Serpent... but that's another story.

highmarshaldave
02-05-2006, 22:22
I'm in Scotland the now dude. . .

Dave out.

ancient god
02-05-2006, 22:30
ionfish, post pics of it, when you're done..! :) What Craftworld, anyways?

dave, sorry, jumping to conclusions.. Well, still quite a distance considering I live in Germany at the moment. ;)

highmarshaldave
02-05-2006, 22:33
Hmm. . . ach well. I can only hope. . .

Dave out.

bruenor
02-05-2006, 22:41
Very nice indeed, love the scheme on the Wraithlord, any chance on a tutuorial on how you painted it so far?

KayvaanShrike
02-05-2006, 22:47
Heehee Dave he would hand ur ass to you on a plate lol!!!

What else have you got to paint just now, or is this it just now? What you going to get next do you think?

Kasrkin 666
02-05-2006, 22:48
Very nice paintjob!
-666:skull:

ancient god
02-05-2006, 22:58
bruenor, not today but I can post a step-by-step tomorrow, or at least some time this week.

Shrike, I've got another 8 guardians here right now. The Council plus the 16 defenders are part of a bet and have to be painted first. The seers by the 15th of the month, the Guardians by a later date. I have a squad of Banshees lying around here, too. Don't know, what I'll do after the above mentioned squads.. Supposedly all at once. :)

Cheers.

Psychophobia
02-05-2006, 23:25
I'm interested in how you paint your yellow, it is quite keen.

Looks really nice -- makes me want to paint the Farseers I have sitting on my desk.

ancient god
02-05-2006, 23:43
Hey Psychophobia,

Prime: Fortress Grey, then Bleached Bone or Skull White (makes no difference, really..)
Main layer: Golden Yellow
Shading: Golden Yellow mixed with Brown Ink, watered down. Repeat till you like the tone. Then clean up the main layer with Golden Yellow.
Highlights: Golden Yellow with various amounts of Skull White added.

That's about it. Doesn't take much longer than building a house or raising a child.. ;) Hope it helps.

EDIT: Almost forgot - I redid some of the shading with Snakebite Leather mixed into the yellow. Looks good, too.

Cheers!

HPD_Andy
03-05-2006, 00:16
Very nice yellows and i like the wraithlord look so far.

Orcdom
03-05-2006, 05:56
KayvaanShrike, Alaitoc is actually the Ranger Craftworld. I will definitely buy at least one squad of them as they look absolutely gorgeous.
Cheers!

actually for the rangers you have to have "at least 2" squads of them since you have 2 compulsory troops slots to fill with rangers before you take your noraml 2 troops and 1 HQ

and who wouldnt want 4 ranger squads and at least 1 pathfinder squad?

Steve

Serpent
03-05-2006, 06:13
Only if you decide to play them as a Craftworld army. It is quite possible to use the standard Eldar Codex to play Alaitoc. You just don't get the benefits... They don't use Seer Councils, however. That's Ulthws gimmick.

I love the look so far. The blues and the yellows looks lovely, and almost inspires me to get my own Eldar back into shape.

Serpent

creamygoodness
03-05-2006, 07:51
it could be just 2 farseers as 2 HQ choices

*edit*

btw very nice paint job to the OP ^^

cookiescrumble
03-05-2006, 08:52
Need more pics.

firestorm40k
03-05-2006, 13:19
Lovely! Can't wait to see more pics of them :cool:

DantesInferno
03-05-2006, 13:45
*Falls in love with ancient god's Guardian squad*

Those blues are simply incredible! Great work!

Lithian
03-05-2006, 21:33
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing more! :cool:

Always nice to see fellow Eldarians. :D :cheese:

Later

Deacis
03-05-2006, 23:11
Wauw, very bright colors, so nice!

Nice steady pictures too btw :)

ancient god
04-05-2006, 18:54
Hey guys.

Sorry, no pics tonight. Very busy ATM - I'll try and make some progress this weekend.

I will play them as a regular Eldar force, so no compulsory Rangers. The Farseers are just part of the bet, I'll probably only use the favoured one most games.

I'll try and meet the pic demand this WE, too. ;) Thanks for all the positive feedback..! :angel:

Cheers,
AG

HiredSword.
04-05-2006, 20:06
we're eagerly awaiting those pics.

Also, i'd love you to do 'some' rangers, your paint job would do those lovely models justice.

Covering Fire
04-05-2006, 21:00
Wow! Those are awesome! I especially like the blue! It's really good to see some Alaitoc models!

I have a Alaitoc army of my own in progress, but I'm afraid that my painting doesn't come close to this...

Can't wait for some more pics!:)

Scorpio
04-05-2006, 21:34
That shames my army. That is some damn fine painting. Keep up the good work!

-Scorpio

tzeentchgiant
04-05-2006, 23:44
I agree with the consensus, that's one hell of an army, particularly the simple colourscheme, you've made it really very cool. Also, it no doubt comes down to your clear talent, kudos :D.

TG

Machinepriest
05-05-2006, 00:56
'Ello again Mr. Ancient.
It saddens me to see that you've given up on your Tau for now... They were really coming along nicely. (Just like your Blood Angels;)).
But I know how it is... I'm pendling between 5 (!!:eek:!!) armies myself.

On to the topic at hand.
These Eldar really look amazing. Absolutely up to your usual high standard.
Can't wait to see more.

Oh, and by the way... Have you considered one of the Revenant Titans from Forgeworld? I imagine they would look ace in Alaitoc colours.

Brother Muninn
05-05-2006, 08:16
It looks like you really embraced the whoe stippling thing. You don't really see that very often on smaller models, but it looks really good. Keep it up.

Pfreck
07-05-2006, 10:27
Hey AG, nice to see you on Warseer mate :)
Your Alaitoc is going great! I like the "favoured one" (:p) the most ;)
Cheers!

The boyz
07-05-2006, 12:01
Wow Ancient god, that is some very nice painting on those Farseers. The blue looks exceptionally well done. I really like the shading and highlighting on the blue, looks superb you have managed to achieve some real depth there in the blue. They have to be some of the best painted Farseers I have ever seen. The Wraithbone is very well painted also. The freehand on the runes on the Farseers cloak is exceptionally well done.
I really like the blue camou effect on the Wraithlord. Reminds me of the reflection you get from a swimming pool. Looking forward to seeing some more updates of him and the rest of your Alaitoc Eldar when they are done.

Good work.;)

ancient god
14-08-2006, 20:05
Mystic powers of Threadomancy, I beseech you.. Give my thread LIFE!

(Sky darkens, clouds begin to swirl)

*fizzle... ZAP!*

(Thread jerks, comes to rest, gets up)

*thunderclap*

Ha-ha! It worked!

Hey folks,

Excuse the mess.. :rolleyes:

Here's a little update on my Alaitoc minis.. I've been painting on a squad of Rangers along with a weapons platform for my Guardians this week and here are the results so far:

WIP Ranger, the others look similar:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger_WIP01.jpg
Another Ranger:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger_WIP02.jpg

The weapons platform:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_platform01.jpg

I painted the platform today and it took me about 3.5 hrs.. I'm really happy with the result regarding the short period of time spent. :)

See two more pics of the platform in the post below.

C & C very much appreciated!

Cheers,
AG

ancient god
14-08-2006, 20:06
The last 2 pics:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_platform02.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_platform03.jpg

Gen_eV
14-08-2006, 20:09
That Ranger is gorgeous. Please tell me the highlightin on the cloak's finished, and you're not gonna bring it all the way up to bone. It loooks fantastic as it is, and a lot more 'incognito' than the cloth bits on your Farseers.

This is looking to end up a really pretty army - looking forward to watching it progress.

ancient god
14-08-2006, 20:40
Gen_eV:
The cloak is done like that. Well, almost; it'll have a camo scheme painted on top of the drab very soon. Hope you still like it then. :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to update again this week. Thanks for your interest. :)

Cheers,
AG

Nemesis Inferno
14-08-2006, 20:45
How to put this in words...

WOW!!! Yep, that'll do... :)
You have mastered the blotchy effect on it, and it looks so good...

What more!!!

Aquilla
14-08-2006, 20:48
Love is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel for that painting.
Brilliant work!

ancient god
14-08-2006, 21:10
Nemesis Inferno:
Watch this space. Sooner or later I will post a tank in that scheme. :D

Aquilla:
Posts like yours make my day. <3 :)

Cheers you two!

primarch16
14-08-2006, 21:13
Very smooth painting there, I love the carapace, how did you do it?

ancient god
14-08-2006, 21:43
Hey Primarch16,

I'll quote myself on the blue, as I've answered that on another board. :)

Thanks. :) The blue is built up in layers using the following paints/mixes:
- Black/Regal Blue (RB)
- RB
- RB/Enchanted Blue (EB)
- EB
- EB/White
- EB/White/White

The main colour is the RB/EB mix. All listed above are shade layers, all below are hightlights. I tried to use the last mix (EB/W/W) on very hard edges only as to make the armour look shiny. On some Rangers I painted the mottled Alaitoc blue on top of this. See the pic above for reference. :) Hope this helps!

If you have further questions, shoot away. :)

Cheers!

Inquisitor Claissen
14-08-2006, 22:08
Simply prefect...my question for you, ancient god, is how to paint the "camo pattern"?? I'm planning to create an Alaitoc army...

Serpent
14-08-2006, 22:18
Lovely. :)

Serpent

Sandlemad
14-08-2006, 23:23
I'll be honest. I want to drink your eldar.:p The weapons platform looks particularly refreshing.

That really is an astonishing shade of blue, I'd always thought alaitoc didn't really look cool with such a colourscheme but your models have made me reconsider that completely.

Looking forward to the camo.

Simto
14-08-2006, 23:41
This is one amazing army, makes me want to start an Alitoc Army!

Please tell us how you painted the skin on your ranger, it's truly amazing!

HiveFleetEzekial
14-08-2006, 23:46
very very nice work on these sofar! very vibrant! :) (though i'd say far from "cute", just very well done lol)

other questions..?

can you give a rundown, in the same style as you did the blue, on what you used for the rich bone? (interested to see how many layers and mixes you used)

and.. can you PM me a larger and/or fuller version of your avatar? (looks like it would make an interesting conversion :D )

ancient god
15-08-2006, 00:08
Hey folks, there I am again.

Sandlemad:
Make yourself at home, take a sip! And thanks for the kind words. ;)

Simto:
Tones I used for the skin:
- Tanned Flesh with a brush tip of Graveyard Earth
- Add Dwarf Flesh to the mix
- Add Dwarf Flesh to the mix ..again
- Add White to the mix
- Guess what..
- Yeah, again..
- Ohh yeah.. a little bit more White

You see, I really had fun with a good DVD and MSN while painting this.. So I took my time. :p

HiveFleetEzekial:
I tried to edit the "cute" part out but it didn't work. I'll try again. ;)

Here's what i used for the bone:
- White Primer
- Paint Bleached Bone (BB)
- Very thin BB/Snakebite mix into and around all crevices (Did this 1-2 times)
- Very thin Snakebite into all crevices
- Clean up with BB
- BB/White hightlights
- BB/W/W for crisp edge highlights

You got mail, by the way.

Alright, hope this helps, guys and gals! :)

Thanks for the continued interest!

Cheers,
AG

tzeentchgiant
15-08-2006, 00:52
Just reading the very first post over again, what do you mean by shot? (If it is what I think it is.... maybe a winking smiley would suffice as an answer.)

Very cool painting, particularly the kneeling down guy, very cool.

TG

DeathMasterSnikch
15-08-2006, 01:17
I've never liked the scheme of Alaitoc but you've done an incredible job of it. Congrats, wraith lords a beauty :p

NakedFisherman
15-08-2006, 01:47
Simply amazing. Great work. The wraithbone on the weapons platform is just superb!

jansenm
15-08-2006, 02:39
I love it
it is smooth and clean

Evilgnome
15-08-2006, 05:46
They look great, it's a really clean and well executed paint job.... now paint more!

ancient god
15-08-2006, 10:03
Hey folks,

tzeentchgiant:
I meant the picture, as they get ..shot I think.. I'm no native speaker, bear with me.. ;)

DeathMasterSnikch:
Thanks. :) I fear that Wraithlord will never see completion, though. The new one is coming and this one suddenly stopped looking attractive to me.

NakedFisherman, jansenm:
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Evilgnome:
Your wish be my command! I'll post pics of the platform with done base some time today.

Cheers,
AG :)

ancient god
15-08-2006, 10:53
...And here's the update! :)

Platform with finished base. That's similar to how all bases will look like in the end.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_platform_based01.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_platform_base01.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheer,
AG

Bluesabre
15-08-2006, 11:16
These look amazing AG, I look forward too seeing more in the future.

KayvaanShrike
15-08-2006, 11:58
I like the flyer on the base, excellent touch, things like that make it easier to place a model in a warzone somewhere, well done. I love that blue, its really really neat, hows everything else coming on?

ancient god
15-08-2006, 12:02
Bluesabre:
Thanks. :)

KayvaanShrike:
To be honest, I'm posting 90% of my progress here. That means I make slow progress, but also it means that you'll always get brand new info and pics here. ;)

Cheers!

KayvaanShrike
15-08-2006, 14:19
i look forward to that info, and those pics!!!

Unique1
15-08-2006, 14:29
WOW, just wow, insanely nice stuff!

How do you acheive the "mottled" blue/black, just like camo, or is there a secret to it?

CMDante
15-08-2006, 14:48
Great stuff so far, some of the nicest eldar I have seen in a long long time! Keep up the good work and show us some pics of those rangers finished! :P

Dante

Pfreck
15-08-2006, 16:15
Nice new update AG! :) what did you used to make the scroll on the base? Just paper or plasticard or something?
Anyways good luck with (hopefully) finishing your army ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
15-08-2006, 16:51
Lovely blue and Bone, i'm hellaimpressed, how many points are you working up to?

tzeentchgiant
15-08-2006, 17:15
This is going to be one hell of an army.

Really, I wish I could sig this :(.

TG

Endemion
15-08-2006, 18:03
Amazing painting! That ranger is sickeningly good, even in it's WIP form

Nemesis Inferno
15-08-2006, 18:59
If that's how a weapons platform looks...

I may hyperventilate if I see a Falcon or whatever other tank you're doing...

ancient god
15-08-2006, 19:53
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the feedback, so far!

Unique1:
I think, I described the process earlier in this thread. If not, kick me; I'll do it then.

CMDante:
If that is your wish, see below. :>

Pfreck:
That's painted paper. I cut it out, primered it Graveyard Earth, bent it and glued it fast. After that I painted it.

Rabid Bunny 666:
I'm not really thinking points, yet.. My first goal will be a nice 40K in 40min patrol and then a 500pts force. After that, nobody knows..

Nemesis Inferno:
I'll send you a PM to warn you when I post something that size. So you don't have to see it. ;)

And now to the juicy part of the post; the update!
Today I finished my first Ranger. Light was failing when I took the pics, so bear with me till tomorrow.. I'll post better ones, then.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger01.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger02.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger03.jpg

You can see the finished camo scheme on these. Tell me what you think!

C & C appreciated..!

Cheers,
AG

bobert the great clen one
15-08-2006, 20:11
very very very coollll *drools* its inspired me to finally paint my eldar up could i post pics on here when there done ?

ancient god
15-08-2006, 21:05
Uhm.. Yeah, sure. Just post 'em here. :)

tzeentchgiant
15-08-2006, 21:14
tzeentchgiant:
I meant the picture, as they get ..shot I think.. I'm no native speaker, bear with me.. ;)Aha, that makes sense, I thought you were suggesting you cast them (new fangled lingo), it's because it says "I shot myself for 6E" which set off my spidey senses :p.

Great work as always on those rangers :).

TG

Unique1
15-08-2006, 21:36
Be glad, you've inspired me to go ailitoc.

I found your "guide"

Could you go into more detail about it please?

primarch16
15-08-2006, 21:57
These are looking really awsome, I'm looking at lots of Eldar to decide on what craftworld I want to do when the new guys come out so this is a good inspiration, do you have a list of what we can expect in the future?

chicodon
15-08-2006, 22:17
Brilliant, pure and utter brilliance! :D Consider you blue stolen. :p

Keep up the damn good work! :)

Inquisitor lorr
15-08-2006, 22:41
They look great,the skin is particuarly awesome.

Could you tell us how you painted the rangers cloaks?

UnRiggable
16-08-2006, 00:13
These models are ridiculous! Especially the Wraithbone! Criticism: Build up on the camoflage for the rangers.

16-08-2006, 01:43
the rangers have enough camo me thinks

ancient god
16-08-2006, 01:55
Aloha folks,

tzeentchgiant:
Oh, you meant THAT "shot". That was as in scoring a lucky shot regarding a good deal or something.. Well, the no native speaker part, you know... :p

Unique1:
Will do! But not right now. It's 3 am at my place so I'll go and sleep now. ;) Glad, if I could help you make a decision.

primarch16:
Not really. I'll do a squad of 10 Guardians including the platform crew and the Rangers now. After that I'll probably finish my Farseers and then.. it might be time for the new Dire Avengers then.

chicodon:
Thanks very much!

Inquisitor lorr:
Will do. :) Read the part for Unique1 for detail. :P

UnRiggable:
Thanks! I think I'll leave the cloaks for now, though.

bobert the great clen one:
At the moment, me thinks so, too. ;)

Alright... Probably there'll be no major update before the weekend, as I am really busy from tomorrow until then. I'll still post better pics of the Ranger.

As always, thanks for your feedback and your interest!

Cheers,
AG

ancient god
16-08-2006, 18:00
Hey,

Here's a better shot of the Ranger:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger04.jpg

Unique1:
I've given the process of painting the whole mottle-thingy some thought and I'm not sure how to describe it properly... I tell you what, I'll just to a step-for-step guide with pics if I manage some time soon. That'll help all who want to get that effect. Deal?

Inquisitor lorr:
Here's the list of paints/mixes I used on the cloaks:
- Graveyard Earth (GE)/Smoke from Vallejo <- I mixed the two 1:1 and did not thin the mix down. Smoke is thin enough to water down both tones.
- GE
- GE <- Another layer for improved coverage. I left out some parts here for more shading. This is the main layer BTW.
- GE/Bleached Bone (BB)
- GE/BB/BB <- Small highlights on sharp edges etc.
- Kommando Khaki <- I applied some very sharp highlights with this some time later.

Hope this helps!

Next update is due as soon as I can. ;)

Cheers,
AG

Unique1
16-08-2006, 19:57
Yup, sounds good, they look awesome!

Cpt_Tiberius
17-08-2006, 00:30
Wow! I was also not a huge fan of the Alaitoc scheme, but you have definitely changed my mind. I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread, I was a huge fan of your Blood Angels and will definitely have to do a searchy for your Tau. So far my favorite bit is the piece of paper on the weapon platform base, it's these kinds of touches that make a great piece into an excellent piece. :)

Now to beg a favor. I really like the basing you did for the platform. Could I persuade you to reveal how you achieved it? I was looking for something similiar to do with my Space Shark army.

Siromcyre
17-08-2006, 01:56
Just to say that I am quite impressed by your army, and with the nice standard of pace for such good and patient modelling.

Good luck.

asmodai_dark86
17-08-2006, 04:44
My rangers may look cool, but yours look better..

Gah I'm spitting my dummy out and going home!

Seriously though its great work, some of the best knocking about these boards and given the quality about thats high praise indeed!

17-08-2006, 05:17
if u look at each pck quick its dancing ranger!! lol looks ace keep it up

17-08-2006, 08:38
O...M...G... Seriously those are some awesome minis. The blue is beautiful, the wraithbone goregous. My favourite eldar are right here, thats right you..

Damn I wanna go paint my eldar now.

Inquisitor Claissen
17-08-2006, 09:39
They are prefects!! I thinks this is the best alaitoc army I've ever seen. Congrats

BozzyB
17-08-2006, 10:21
Here's what i used for the bone:
- White Primer

I thought you primed your models black?

BozzyB

ancient god
17-08-2006, 11:31
Hey people,

Cpt_Tiberius:
For pics of my stuff, just have a look into my Photobucket.com account:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/

The base was done in the following steps:

- Glued the 3 largest stones on with super glue.
- Glued the 2 pieces of barbed wire on. Made sure to have them come out under the stones or lay flat.
- Used activator spray to avoid waiting time. :rolleyes:
- Glued the sand on using PVA. The sand is a mix my roommate threw together and gave me. I'll take a pic of the mix today and post it.
- Painted the whole thing black.
- Drybrushed heavily with Black/Codex Grey mix.
- Drybrushed with Codex Grey.
- Briefly drybrushed with Fortress Grey.
- Painted the wire Vermin Brown. Painted 2-3 small portions of the base, too, making sure to blend the spots nicely with watered down mixes.
- Drybrushed the wire and base portions Fiery Orange.
- Dabbed 2-3 very small portions or the base with Graveyard Earth using as little paint as when drybrushing.
- Briefly drybrushed these portions with Bleached Bone.
- Added the leaflet. I can quote my description of this process later, I can't find it now.

Siromcyre, asmodai_dark86:
Thank you very much, I appreciate that.

bobert the great clen one:
Oh boy. I think I won't try. ;)

38.:
Come here you... Gimme a hug! :cries:

Inquisitor Claissen:
Thanks Monsieur!

BozzyB:
Yeah, I do generally. One of the things that I really love about the new platform is it's multipart nature. You can actually primer things with different sprays, paint them and glue them together later. Works wonders. :) On regular minis I simply use light grey paint or some such to get a nice base tone.

Read you later, folks!

Cheers,
AG

ancient god
17-08-2006, 12:04
Cpt_Tiberius:
This is how the leaflet was done:
- Cut out paper
- Prime w/ Graveyard Earth
- Shape it and glue onto finished base with a spot of super glue
- Highlight w/ German Camo Beige WWII from Vallejo
- Highlight w/ Kommando Khaki
- Highlight edges w/ White
- Paint on writing etc. using Smoke from Vallejo

...And here's a pic of the sand:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/sand01.jpg

It's composed of three different sorts; the super-fine black parts, the larger slate pieces and those coloured pebbles. Hope, this helps!

Cheers,
AG

sheep
17-08-2006, 14:37
Looking great mate. Can't wait to see to see when you get your hands on the new aspect warriors.

Cheers

Sheep

chicodon
17-08-2006, 15:06
I was wondering if you could tell me how you did the warlocks robes ? :)

Many thanks.

Inquisitor Claissen
17-08-2006, 15:13
And I still have a question, about the pattern of the eldar armor with the three types of blue, how to paint this??

ionfish
17-08-2006, 15:43
He just answered that (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=875005&postcount=84). :rolleyes:

I've given the process of painting the whole mottle-thingy some thought and I'm not sure how to describe it properly... I tell you what, I'll just to a step-for-step guide with pics if I manage some time soon. That'll help all who want to get that effect.

chicodon
17-08-2006, 16:04
He just answered that (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=875005&postcount=84). :rolleyes:

Was that an answer to my querie ? If it was i asked for a guide to the warlocks robes not rangers. :)

Cpt_Tiberius
17-08-2006, 16:07
Have I told you lately that your my hero?...'cause you are. :)

ionfish
17-08-2006, 16:11
chico: no, I was replying to Inquisitor Claissen's post (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=877490&postcount=97).

chicodon
17-08-2006, 16:15
Ok Sorry! :)

Arcane_Blade
17-08-2006, 21:02
This is an awesome thread! Just as with many of the other viewers, I really didn't like the Alaitoc colour scheme, but yours has completely turned that view around. I may try an an alaitoc army one day.... hmmmm.

17-08-2006, 21:52
Come here you... Gimme a hug!

lolz..

And I ve just started started painting my seer council, cause of you! I'll post it soon (in its own thread 'course).

ancient god
17-08-2006, 23:48
Aloha,

sheep:
Can't wait either! (And I can't keep from behaving like Mr. Burns when he's planning something when I think of the new Scorps. :eyebrows:)

chicodon:
Well, I used the same paints I use for the armour. That's:
- Chaos Black
- Regal Blue
- Enchanted Blue
- Skull White

I used mixes as were needed.. Don't really know, how many. Possibly around 6 or 7.

Cpt_Tiberius:
<3

Arcane_Blade:
Haha, slowly but surely this whole pro-Alaitoc movement I cause starts to scare me! :D

38.:
Awesome, good to hear. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Maybe I'll be able to paint some tomorrow and on the WE, but I can't promise anything...

Thanks for the continued interest, even without me updating!

Cheers,
AG

Inquisitor Claissen
18-08-2006, 14:05
Oh ok, sorry for ask two times...

ancient god
18-08-2006, 19:01
Claissen, that's no problem at all.

Edit: Update.

Hey folks,

Here's what I did today. The pic is awful, but you get the idea - I'm very close to finishing Rangers 2 and 3. Basing them tonight, hopefully finishing them tomorrow.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger_WIP02-1.jpg

The blended area on the palette is the tone I am going to use for my Hawks when they arrive. Vallejo French Mirage Blue. Real nice colour.

Until tomorrow, hopefully!

Cheers,
AG :)

Pfreck
19-08-2006, 23:07
Hey AG, nice to see another update mate :)
Though the pictures are too dark so I can't see much details.. :( What are you planning to paint when your Rangers are finished?

cheers

Steel_Legion
20-08-2006, 00:44
looking good, cloaks are great, is that some freehand on rangers 2 and 3? a camo scheme?

20-08-2006, 00:47
holy feck there good only one niggle aint it aint your fault its the head on the model on the right it looks like the eldar biker head

Asuril
20-08-2006, 06:02
I'm extremely impressed with your army, sir! And I'm going to mimic my bone colored weapons after your painting style; it's truely inspirational!

I'll be watching your progress closely!

ancient god
21-08-2006, 14:08
Hey people,

Pfreck:
Next up is the weapons platform crew. After that I don't know for sure. Got stuff laying around here.

Steel_Legion:
All three of them have a camo scheme painted on their cloaks. Better pics below.

Asuril:
Thanks! Glad if i could help.

Alright, here are the finished Rangers. The pics could be better, I'll post new ones as soon as I manage.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger05.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger06.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger07.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/alaitoc_ranger08.jpg

Hope you like them!

Cheers,
AG

Heero-Severus
21-08-2006, 15:29
These are absolutly loverly. Top Painting!! and i think your photography skills are pretty neat too :D keep up the good work :D

McMullet
21-08-2006, 15:46
Great painting as ever - the bone colour on the guns is particularly good. :)

downundercadet07
21-08-2006, 18:15
I think that your rangers easily best the heavy metal painted Beil-tan rangers on the website, especially since you were using the more complex and often less striking Alaitoc scheme.

Things I don't like (Anything I don't mention I love btw)
The white Ranger Long Rifles. The white makes them look a little wide, and doesn't really make since for snipers who are not fighting in an arctic environment. White is really good at drawing the Human eye, so it seems like an unlikely choice of color for these marksmen.

I really like the camo scheme on the cloaks, but I don't think it is appropriate for all of them to have the same scheme, since each ranger has very individual equipment and techniques. The idea of mass-issuing cammies to rangers strikes me as a bit unlikely. But they look fantastic.

tagsta
21-08-2006, 18:20
I really like the camo scheme on the cloaks, but I don't think it is appropriate for all of them to have the same scheme, since each ranger has very individual equipment and techniques.
well... A unit with 5 different camo schemes would look kinda weird, wouldn't it?

great work as ever ancient! like it alot

ancient god
21-08-2006, 20:02
Hey folks,

Thanks for the feedback!

Heero-Severus:
Will try, thanks. ;)

downundercadet07:
I see your point on the rifles. The thing is, I decided to paint all guns in the army this way as to bind the different-looking miniatures together. In my opinion this is very important, especially in Eldar armies, where Aspect warriors and the like tend to rip the main scheme apart. From a sniper POV you are right, of course.

My thoughts on the camo: Rangers wear Cameleoline cloaks - these simply adopt the patterns and tones of the sorroundings to disguise the Ranger. As my Rangers are all standing in the same environment, the mantles will also adopt very similar patterns. So no standard issue, just coincidence. ;)

tagsta:
Thanks very much. I'll read your answer at the GWFW now. ;)

Cheers,
AG

tagsta
21-08-2006, 20:24
Hey folks,
tagsta:
Thanks very much. I'll read your answer at the GWFW now. ;)

:D posting the same thing twice doesn't make much sense but I couldn't resist giving my opinion about the camo scheme :angel:

ancient god
21-08-2006, 20:54
tagsta:
Start up your MSN, you stalker! :p

Next Up:
Platform Crew & Swooping Hawk Scheme Tester!

Cheers,
AG

Evilgnome
22-08-2006, 01:48
They're looking great.

I might have been tempted to add another layer to the camoflage pattern to break it up a little more, but they're fantastic.

HiredSword.
22-08-2006, 13:24
I like them a lot. so what next? Are you going to do aspect warriors in aloitoc colours?

FearFrost
23-08-2006, 02:29
These are frickin great.

The bone is especially effective. The seers could use something to break up the scheme though...I would freehand runes on their cloaks or something like that. Maybe work in another color. Thats just my opinion though.

Clean, well done, GREAT job on the alaitoc patterning.

Brian

EDIT: There is a rune on the "favored one". Oops.

Serpent
23-08-2006, 06:45
My goodness. So...smoooth. I'm so impressed I don't really know where to bein. I like the muted browns of the cloaks, I like the wonderful bone of the guns, and the skintone of the Ranger without a helmet is not half bad either...

Dang, bring these to a tournament close to me, so I can see them for real!

Serpent

Vegeta365
23-08-2006, 14:55
Yes, as an alaitoc player myself, I can congratulate you on some well painted models. These are consistently great throughout. Please update us with new pics.

Arcane_Blade
25-08-2006, 20:09
Any updates? Come on, showing us amazing painting like that and then failing to update is, well.....sick. :( :D

Siromcyre
29-08-2006, 11:55
Bump.............

Kaleb79
14-01-2007, 09:47
another bump! any news on these guys? I'm painting an Alaitoc army now as well so I'd be keen so what happens with these guys...

Melchiah
14-01-2007, 10:51
Wow, makes me miss my old eldar.:cries:
Hows the farseering coming?

Kaleb79
14-01-2007, 20:49
waiting for Green stuff to hard really hard to I can cut it and stick other bits on :( - should be finished with conversion by tomorrow!

Strahd
08-02-2007, 15:14
Hohum. Now these...these were some magnificently painted miniatures! Really looking forward to seeing your progress *bookmarks thread*

Arhalien
08-02-2007, 16:56
oh, threadnomancy...

Excellent work there AG, these are superb! :D

dave is the best
08-02-2007, 17:23
I hope there are updates.

Dave[dice0]

Your Evil Twin
08-02-2007, 18:19
Amazing, just amazing!

How you can find the time to paint that great on a whole army escapes me!

Could you possably post a quick tutorial for the rangers cloaks? As I have 10 and a desert board and that colour is exactly what I was looking for!

Great work keep it up!!!

Your Evil Twin

Drinzor
05-10-2011, 23:04
It looks so amazing making me want to make an eldar army!