PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Armour vs Steam gun

mike20
11-06-2012, 01:58
Hey, the high elf dragon armour grants a 2+ ward save vs flames and breath weapons. Does this save apply against the steam gun off a stank? (despite it not being flame)

cheers

reddevil18
11-06-2012, 02:15
I have neither book im afraid but if the steam gun using a flame template i think it counts as a breath weapon giving the bearer of the armour protection from it.
Dont quote me on that tho :P

Glen_Savet
11-06-2012, 03:24
A breath weapon isn't flaming, unless it's a flame breath. If the steam gun isn't a flaming attack, you do not get the 2++ flame ward.

Now, is the steam gun a flaming attack? I have no idea.

Athlan na Dyr
11-06-2012, 03:44
True, but the dragon armour provides a save against breath weapons, of which the Steam Gun is one ("...the Steam Gun is treated as a Strength 2 Breath Weapon...")

So yes, the save does apply

Artinam
11-06-2012, 07:54
If Dragon Armour gives a save against Flaming Attacks AND Breathweapons. Then it indeed works. Its a bit weird that it works against things like Stream of Corruption but thats rules I guess.

Mercules
11-06-2012, 14:19
Steam Gun is not a "Breath Weapon" it uses a Flame Template but that does not make it a breath weapon, just like using the small round template does not make an attack a Stone Thrower attack.

Wesser
11-06-2012, 22:55
Steam Gun is not a "Breath Weapon" it uses a Flame Template but that does not make it a breath weapon, just like using the small round template does not make an attack a Stone Thrower attack.

Unfortunately it is a Breath Weapon - In before "OMG High Elves are so OP"!

So yea get using them Dragon Princes to tarpit that steam tank

Lord Inquisitor
11-06-2012, 23:03
"[T]he Steam Gun is treated as a Strength 2 Breath Weapon... Unlike other Breath Weapons, the Steam Gun can be used once each turn."
"Dragon Prince of Caledor, “[...]have a 2+ ward save against Breath Weapons and Flaming Attacks.”

I'd say it works. The Steam Gun is treated as a Breath Weapon, so the Dragon Princes' ward save is treated as 2+.

Jim
12-06-2012, 11:45
So yea get using them Dragon Princes to tarpit that steam tank

Although they would hold up quite well against the Steam Gun, they're not going to do quite as well if the Steam Tank decides to Grind them instead -on average 10 x Strength 6 impact hits per phase means your average unit of 5 Dragon Princes are going to be lucky to last a round!!!

Jim

Rudra34
12-06-2012, 15:01
Although they would hold up quite well against the Steam Gun, they're not going to do quite as well if the Steam Tank decides to Grind them instead -on average 10 x Strength 6 impact hits per phase means your average unit of 5 Dragon Princes are going to be lucky to last a round!!!

Jim

Average of 6, stank only does d3 per steam point used to grind. Still, it's not going to be pretty for the dragon princesses.

Mercules
12-06-2012, 15:43
"[T]he Steam Gun is treated as a Strength 2 Breath Weapon... Unlike other Breath Weapons, the Steam Gun can be used once each turn."
"Dragon Prince of Caledor, “[...]have a 2+ ward save against Breath Weapons and Flaming Attacks.”

I'd say it works. The Steam Gun is treated as a Breath Weapon, so the Dragon Princes' ward save is treated as 2+.

That will teach me not to bring my book to work. I really need to scan a copy for my Kindle.

Glen_Savet
13-06-2012, 01:54
I'd like to point out that a breath weapon still isn't innately a flaming attack.

Lord Inquisitor
13-06-2012, 02:04
I'd like to point out that a breath weapon still isn't innately a flaming attack.

This is absolutely correct.

Chicago Slim
13-06-2012, 12:23
Both correct, and irrelevant to this question!

theunwantedbeing
13-06-2012, 12:53
Both correct, and irrelevant to this question!

Hey, the high elf dragon armour grants a 2+ ward save vs flames and breath weapons. Does this save apply against the steam gun off a stank? (despite it not being flame)

Seems pretty relevant to me.
The OP clearly didn't understand that not all breath weapons were flaming and this was confusing him(her/it/whatever).

Chicago Slim
13-06-2012, 14:56
I was referring to Glen_Savet's comment, pointing out that the Steam Gun is not Flaming, which is both correct and irrelevant to the OP's question (the answer to which has already been well-explained):

Dragon Armor gets a 2+ ward save against the Steam Gun, because the Steam Gun counts as a Breath Weapon (and Dragon Armor applies its ward save to breath weapons, as well as flaming attacks). The fact that the Steam Gun is not flaming is irrelevant to this.

Glen_Savet
13-06-2012, 15:44
Dragonbane gems and dragon helms provide similar 2+ wards to flaming attacks, but not breath weapons specifically. It is relevant in similar situations. Your comment was unnecessary.

Mercules
13-06-2012, 16:09
Dragonbane gems and dragon helms provide similar 2+ wards to flaming attacks, but not breath weapons specifically. It is relevant in similar situations. Your comment was unnecessary.

Except no one asked about either of those. You are the only one who even brought up Breath Weapons and Flaming in context together so are you posting to clarify the matter for yourself because the rest of us understood that already?

Mr. Shine
14-06-2012, 01:53
Your comment was unnecessary.

Inclined to agree with Mercules and say that your was unnecessary. You pointing out that the Steam Gun may be a Breath Weapon but is not Flaming results in implying that Dragon Armour only works against attacks that are both Flaming and Breath Weapons, which is not the case.

Rudra34
14-06-2012, 02:00
The question has been answered...all of these comments are unnecessary. :rolleyes:

Chicago Slim
14-06-2012, 02:09

Ah-- you might have noted that, when you were previously posting, so as to clarify the tangential relevance. :)

mike20
14-06-2012, 02:32
thank everyone for their lovely answers....i think that'll do :)