x20 halberdiers

steamtank

x18 xbows

x10 archers

Celestiel Hurricanum
x2 hellblasters

2429 points, not sure what to do with the last 70
The plan:
Arch lector with greatsword detachment giving them rerolls, have the hurricanum sitting near them for +1 to hit
Wizard, with shadow will debuff and possibly buff.
the swordsmen will act as a tarpit with the halberdiers next to them for support. swordsmen will be in rows of 5 and the halberdiers will vairy to the target.
Steamtank will be an offence or tarpit depending what im playing
x18 xbows with BSB flaming banner in will be long range monster hunting (i rather have these then cannons because of regen's + wardsaves, atleast with these i might do a few wounds rather than none)
archers will be an annoyance; blocking charges or if they are going to charge me make it sothier position will be vulnerable to me... also if i can stop a unit for 1 turn that gives me another round of shooting.
The hellblasters come hand in hand with my archers. Also i like these alot more than cannons because they work so well with engineers to rip through infantry heavy or light. Also if your opponent is smart he will avoid them giving the the benifit of area denial.

please tell me what you think of my list and how you think i could improve it. Be harsh if you need to tell me its crap and can any think of what i could possible use that is valuable for 70ish points.

Lord Solar Plexus
11-06-2012, 12:29
The Archlector could do with better armour.

The BSB could do with better armour and perhaps a ward. If flaming crossbows work for you, go for it. It can be difficult if you find the regenerator on the other flank though, or in all cases where terrain gets in the way or when you need to turn. The Greatswords can take the Banner in the unit as you probably know.

Only two blocks (plus detachments) seems a little small but hey. I'd personally go with 2*5 archers as detachments. It's a unit less to outdeploy of course.

If you find you still have points left after buying better armour or if you don't spend anything there, a WH with brace and OTS is a nifty addition, or a second WP/Engineer, or perhaps a back-up wizard (L1) with a nice arcane item?

Steamtank

Huh?

EcoWarrior
11-06-2012, 12:59
sorry must have forgot to include steam tank, just out of curiosity, is the steamtank worth it ? I know it can play 2 rolls tarpit or possibly offence but are they to risky and points better spent somewere else ?

D'Haran
11-06-2012, 13:47
stank is border line worth it, random movement makes it slower, while only being able to put 3 points into any action means less wounds from the grind in combat. However it's still unbreakable, but I'd never run it without a life mage to for heals.

Morax
11-06-2012, 13:54
For your last 70 points, 2 detachments of 5 archers would likely be best. When you are only fielding 2 combat blocks, you need the extra chaff to make sure they get where you want them to go and not off chasing false herrings. As for the rest of your list :

Wizard Lord, level 4, dispel scroll
What lore are you looking at? The lore of the wizard needs to be annotated in your army list or you are playing an illegal list. You have a lot of mid point cost models in this list so your lore choice is a little wierd here. Light may be best but it leaves the Stank out to dry. Life would help the Stank the most but doesn't buff the Halberdiers the way Light does. Just seems a bit disjointed to me.

Arch lector , armor of destiny
Armor of destiny is a last ditch item when you have already used your Talisman of preservation. Give this guy an enchanted shield, heavy armor and the ToP for a much better save for around the same point cost.

master engineer
A good choice with a helblaster. A rocky choice with two helblasters. If you are set on two helblasters you need a second engineer to boost its shooting.

captain-BSB flaming banner, FPA, shield
This guy is ok, not great but ok. As LSP says, the bsb usually needs a better save then 3+/6++ but seeing as you are going to put him in a unit that you don't want to see combat it should suffice.

x39 Greatswords, full cmd
x20 halberdiers
Some people love the goldswords, I find them lacking when compared with halberdiers. On paper they come out far ahead but in practice it just doesn't add up to me. Your call on them however as I can see how for some they can work.

x45 swordsmen, musician standard
x20 halberdiers
State troops are almost all the same. Halberdiers are to odds on favorite for the point cost and the s4 but swords are functional as well. If you have them run with them.

steamtank
In a lot of empire lists for a reason. It can often hold up a unit that you don't want to fight for the entire game. With the changes to steam points, it may even kill that unit.

x18 xbows
A bit big for a shooting unit in a list with 2 other hordes. You may run out of room on your side of the table quite quickly. I see the appeal however. I'd say give them a go for a couple of games and see if sightlines cause you problems.

x10 archers

Celestiel Hurricanum
x2 hellblasters
I like the Hurricanum for the bonus powerdie and the buff is hard to argue with. For the hellblasters, see above.

2429 points, not sure what to do with the last 70
The plan:
Arch lector with greatsword detachment giving them rerolls, have the hurricanum sitting near them for +1 to hit
Wizard, with shadow will debuff and possibly buff.
the swordsmen will act as a tarpit with the halberdiers next to them for support. swordsmen will be in rows of 5 and the halberdiers will vairy to the target.
Steamtank will be an offence or tarpit depending what im playing
x18 xbows with BSB flaming banner in will be long range monster hunting (i rather have these then cannons because of regen's + wardsaves, atleast with these i might do a few wounds rather than none)
archers will be an annoyance; blocking charges or if they are going to charge me make it sothier position will be vulnerable to me... also if i can stop a unit for 1 turn that gives me another round of shooting.
The hellblasters come hand in hand with my archers. Also i like these alot more than cannons because they work so well with engineers to rip through infantry heavy or light. Also if your opponent is smart he will avoid them giving the the benifit of area denial.

please tell me what you think of my list and how you think i could improve it. Be harsh if you need to tell me its crap and can any think of what i could possible use that is valuable for 70ish points.

Goldenwolf
11-06-2012, 16:00
I agree that the stank is less useful, and you may want to scrap it and get something else with the points. A Life mage is your only chance to keep it going, and even then a lucky cannon shot, or a horde with Great Weapons can mince it up.

EcoWarrior
11-06-2012, 16:37
This is an update on the list

Wizard Lord, level 4, dispel scroll, shadow
Arch lector , ToP, enchanted shield, heavy armor
x2 master engineer
captain-BSB the white cloak of ulric, FPA, shield

x39 Greatswords, full cmd
x20 halberdiers

x40 spearmen,shield , musician standard (not sure about shields if they are worth it)
x20 halberdiers
x5 archers

x45 spearmen, musician, standard (i could switch these out for a unit of knights of IC)

x2 luminark of hysh

Celestiel Hurricanum

x2 hellblasters or cannons i cant decide what would work better :\ or if i should even have any

2501 points i can easily take out 1 spearman to make up the points.

i switched out the steam tank for 2 luminark of hysh, boosting my magic and also x2 S8 bolt thrower giving my crappy spearmen without shields thier 6+ ward aswell, also S5 chariot if need be i can charge it into the flank.
i got rid of my xbows; i did some random dice rolling and i have never been lucky with BS3+ modifiers so i threw in another 45 spearmen guys willbe in 5x9 if in danger of being charged but otherwise ill keep them in horde formation for extra damoooge. ( i was thinking to stick a warrior priest in them somewere because he makes even the crappiest units good. I switched out the x10 archers for a detachment unit of 5 but to do the same job; annoyance/ charge block.
I had enough points to throw in another engineer so i can have 1 with each peice of artillery. I still havent decided if i want cannons or hellblasters. I do feel like the luminark can take the roll of cannons with its S8 bolt thrower especially if i leave them till last on casting so they cant be dispelled if all goes well.
I do not like the 24" range for hellblaster to me that is only 1 round of shooting and possible bad dice meaning the 2 peices of artillery+ engineers could have been spent on something else which is like 370 points which could go on more infantry and a warrior priest to beef up the detachment.
what do you guys think about it now ?