PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Of Shielding - Glean Magic

SimaoSegunda
11-06-2012, 21:06
A question that came up in a game recently. If a Tzeench Demon casts Glean Magic, and uses it to cast a magical attack on one of my units, can my own Shaman use his Scroll of Shielding to give my unit saves?

Also, another question on a similar vein: If my opponent casts Foot of Gork on the higher powerband, does the Scroll protect every unit affected if the Foot carries on stompin'?

Mostream
11-06-2012, 21:31
Dont know about the glean magic, but the scroll only works against damage towards the target of the spell. Since none of the further units are targets of the spell, It wont protect them.

T10
12-06-2012, 09:37
A question that came up in a game recently. If a Tzeench Demon casts Glean Magic, and uses it to cast a magical attack on one of my units, can my own Shaman use his Scroll of Shielding to give my unit saves?

Also, another question on a similar vein: If my opponent casts Foot of Gork on the higher powerband, does the Scroll protect every unit affected if the Foot carries on stompin'?

Yes, you can use the Scroll of Shielding to protect against the effects of the borrowed spell. The borrowed spell is "automatically cast", and the scroll of shielding is used "after an enemy spell has been cast".

Yes, you can gain the protection from the scroll against Gork's Warpath, but you'll need to assume that the models actually hit by the spell are among those considered "targets" of the spell. At this point the discussion can easily break down into defining "targets" as what the caster "wanted to hit". It seems an unfair argument since all models within scatter-range of the template are certainly "potential targets". Also, repeating the damage process is a continuation of the same spell, so further (potential) targets are equally eligible to receive the ward save against the spell.

SimaoSegunda
12-06-2012, 10:14
Thanks guys. I thought I probably could use it against each of the units, because each time the stomp continues you can choose a new target unit, but it's a target unit from the same casting of the same spell.

I assume though, by logical extension, if my opponent rolled a '1', and had his own unit stomped, they would also gain the ward save.

T10
12-06-2012, 10:34
I'm not sure we're on the same page here (you appear to be saying both that the scroll cannot and can protect multiple units against the repeated damage), so let me clarify:

If a player casts Gork's Warpath and his opponent uses the scroll of shielding, then (in my opinion, which I think is valid) each model hit gets a ward save. This is regardless of how the model is hit, wether it's a direct hit, a scatter, a subsequent "stomp" or wether the model hit is a friend or enemy.

-T10

Mostream
12-06-2012, 11:27
Good clarification T10.
+1 to that

SimaoSegunda
12-06-2012, 21:56
T10, Yeah, that is what I thought you were saying, and I agree. Thanks!