PDA

View Full Version : Ratlings

venusianfurs
06-06-2005, 16:24
Are they long for the universe? They don't seem to have much fluff, much less recently - are they destined to be phased out?
Plus, can anyone tell me a good source of present/previous background info for them?

Hideous Loon
06-06-2005, 20:56
Meh, I sure hope not. They are the guys who give the Imperial Guard some of its character. Sure, they may not be involved in any major fluff stories, but why should they be left out? Could it be for the simple reason of insufficient (sp?) selling of the minis, or is there something more?

If I ran GW... (But all gamers think like that, and most of 'em want to see that thought turned real.)

Hellebore
07-06-2005, 10:45
Are they long for the universe? They don't seem to have much fluff, much less recently - are they destined to be phased out?
Plus, can anyone tell me a good source of present/previous background info for them?

They are in modern fluff, the hand of darkness was found on a ratling homeworld and abbadon massacred to lot of them (as they had no defence at all). An inquistor found the world covered in tiny skeletons and the hand missing (part of the Battlefleet Gothic story arc).

I doubt they will be disappeared, its just that they don't do much except steal, live, and use sniper rifles.

hellebore

Jedi152
07-06-2005, 11:34
They are presumably suffering the same fate that halflings are having in WFB.

Now that the LOTR films are out everyone can see what a blatent copy ratlings and halflings are of hobbits, so i think GW are subtly pushing them out of the limelight.

Darkzeer
07-06-2005, 11:55
They're mutants. Wipe them out. All of them.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 12:25
here here. I heartily agree

Minister
07-06-2005, 12:58
The Holy Orders of His Divine Majesty's Inquisition has deemed the Ratling to be a viable abhuman sub-race of Humanity, an adaptation to local circumstance resulting from sustained isolation during the Age of Strife. Nothing more or less. As such they are human beings and eligable for full and complete protection under the Pax Imperialis and subject to obligations and duties under the Lex Imperialis.

Darius Rhiannon
07-06-2005, 14:19
And any who disagrees with minister shall meet a cloud of sniper bullets coming their way...

malika
07-06-2005, 14:27
There was a piece of background in which Abbadon bombarded their homeworld or something

Lord_Dante
07-06-2005, 17:35
I think GW is getting rid of models that they don't think match with their new serious game setting. Like they did with the Squats.

salty
07-06-2005, 17:45
@Malika: http://www.portent.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55750&postcount=3

Ratlings were in the recent-ish IG codex IIRC, so i can't see why they would be being phased out. Though they (and Ogryns) need some new models...

Salty :)

malika
07-06-2005, 18:17
I would like to keep them...only we need a bit more clear reason why they have mutated in the way they did...why are Ogryns big and dumb? Why are Halflings.. *cough* Hobbit...*cough* Ratlings small, have hair feet and cook?

Khaine's Messenger
07-06-2005, 18:36
They really don't add all that much to the army. While Ogryns are noted to be as literal-minded as a 2-by-4 and possessing the "faith of a child" and the strength of a bull in season, ratlings are good shots, good cooks, and nimble thieves with the all the courage of a wet paper sack. Their unit entry has little depth, and their unit is not tied in with the rest of the army in any tangible way, unlike the Ogryns, who have background specifically relating them to the rest of the army as well as the Imperium as a whole (yes, ratlings can cook well and serve as your standard military black market folks, but it would be nice, at least in the latter case, to see this happening once in a while rather than just being told that it is so) in addition to fulfilling a role that does not appear on the face of it to be redundant given the rest of the armylist (or oddly exclusive; I can't count the number of times I saw people complaining about how it was "unfluffly" to have ratlings be the only snipers back with the first third edition IG 'dex). They're just one unit, and not a very beefy one, so of course their popularity has taken a hit.

Oh, yes, they're "characterful" to a certain extent, but only because they're midgets with sniper rifles. The only time I felt they had much character at all was in the description of Abaddon marching over one of their planets with a semi-scorched earth policy during the gothic sector war to steal some artefact.

Darius Rhiannon
07-06-2005, 19:07
Well at the way GW is going, the IG will only have a new codex in 2009.

So my little Space Hobbits will be quite, quite safe for some time to come...

Minister
07-06-2005, 19:18
And any who disagrees with minister shall meet a cloud of sniper bullets coming their way...
It appears that, once more, I'm going to start my egotistical sig quest...

But yes, we are in need of greater integration for the Ratling. Observe the quite ridiculous amount of stuff they've done for the hobbit in LOTR. The Ratling, being a far more tarnished creature less tied to the rural idyl, is a far more interesting creature and deserves to be adressed as such.

malika
07-06-2005, 23:55
Why are Ratlings what they are? Home come are they small and got hair on their legs? If its a warp (chaos) based mutation the Ordo Malleus would have immediatly killed them all off, so what made them what they are?

Sam goes for Ogryns...sure gravity makes them that beefy...but why the brains of a 2-4 year old?

Inquis. Jaeger
08-06-2005, 02:29
Why are Ratlings what they are? Home come are they small and got hair on their legs? If its a warp (chaos) based mutation the Ordo Malleus would have immediatly killed them all off, so what made them what they are?

Sam goes for Ogryns...sure gravity makes them that beefy...but why the brains of a 2-4 year old?

Because they fulfill the original 'fantasy in space' aspect of 40k when they were first being designed in Rogue Trader - namely ogres and hobbits in space, and GW have not been imaginative enough to actually come up with a plausible reason why they should act or be like that in the 40k Universe.

The answer is that ratlings are small, have hair on their feet because they are ratlings (hobbits in space) and Ogryns are big and stupid because they are ogryns (ogres in space)

And don't believe GW's guff about 'higher gravity' worlds. Higher gravity would result in smaller, stockier people, with fantastic reflexes and speed when on normal gravity worlds, not ogryns or catachans or squats. None of them properly represent it. (Although they did do it properly with the Tau - Air caste are tall and thin with weaker bones due to lack of/lower gravity)

malika
08-06-2005, 02:32
But Ogryns and Ratlings are ab-humans which means they are originally human...I hope GW will one day give an explaination for this, check this topic for Ogryns:
http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118

Illuminarch
10-06-2005, 00:37
They are presumably suffering the same fate that halflings are having in WFB.

Now that the LOTR films are out everyone can see what a blatent copy ratlings and halflings are of hobbits, so i think GW are subtly pushing them out of the limelight.

You mean...like the Eldar are of Elves, the Ogryns of Ogres, the Orks of...Orcs, the Necrons of Tomb Kings/Undead?

So, to answer the original question, the Ratling fluff is virtually identical to the Halflings of WFB. They cook, they like to drink, they have big furry feet, etc...

Illuminarch
10-06-2005, 00:39
Because they fulfill the original 'fantasy in space' aspect of 40k when they were first being designed in Rogue Trader - namely ogres and hobbits in space, and GW have not been imaginative enough to actually come up with a plausible reason why they should act or be like that in the 40k Universe.

Hey, and let's not forget about 40k Beastmen or the Slann (Old Ones). There were even Loyalist Beastmen once upon a time, now I don't even think they exist as part of Chaos armies in 40k, though I remember their entry in the Codex Imperialis.

malika
10-06-2005, 01:12
I miss the Beastmen! I think Im going to build myself a squad of them for my Alpha Legion army...use damaged loyalists torso's the rest just beastmen parts and some power armour bits here and there!

Easy E
10-06-2005, 02:17
There use to be a Ratling special character called Stumper Muckstart or something like that. He was in the Imperial Guard 2nd edition codex.

Minister
11-06-2005, 09:24
Correct.

Beastmen in Chaos armies come under the generic Mutants in LatD, Imperial ones can be taken using one of the Abhuman doctrines in a recent White Dwarf (no hooves, just what would be known as Bray and Ungor, the Imperium will not tolerate the most beastial of thses entities).