PDA

View Full Version : Remember When...

Pages : [1] 2

Gorgrim
03-05-2006, 03:04
This is a bit of a nostaglic trip for me. Considering the general frustration with the new edition, I began thinking of the 'good old days' and how everything seemed simpler. But soon realised, it really wasn't.

So, if you could humour me and reply with some of your own fond memories of times gone by.

Remember when...

...the thudd gun had that funky template thing?

neXus6
03-05-2006, 03:06
Yep, the Venom Cannon used it as well, and I have the pieces of it in my room somewhere.

You were supposed to attach the templates together with splitpins or something I never did mine are unholed. :)

Toppan
03-05-2006, 03:17
for us newbies...care to show some pics so we can get the picture?

New Cult King
03-05-2006, 03:25
Remember when Overwatch and Strategy Cards gave the game a deeper tactical element?

*nostalgic sigh*

So good.

devolutionary
03-05-2006, 03:29
Remember when viral bombing at the start of the game would wipe out an Ork force? Ahhhh the good old days.

neXus6
03-05-2006, 03:30
How about those toughness 8 Necron Scarabs. ;)
That actually reduced the armour rating of the vehicle. :p

And 3+ saves on 2 dice for terminators and carnifexes.

Hawkeye
03-05-2006, 04:11
Virus bombs were pretty bad news for Guard, too. I had one pop off in a big 4000 point game, where I had a mixed force of Guard and Marines facing this HUGE Eldar horde. Suddenly all the poor guardsmen start coughing their lungs up, and pitching to the ground... not a MAN-JACK of them survived, leaving some very non-plussed marines to deal with the bloody aliens.

Anyway, one of my favourite memories? Vortex grenades and Displacer Fields. Oh, what fun...

BodhiTree
03-05-2006, 04:27
Read the rules for Hallucinogen Grenades in the 2nd Ed Wargear book and tell me that's simple or even serious.

...Not to say we didn't use them at every chance we had. ;)

Ardathair
03-05-2006, 05:59
Having a stat called "Cool". enough said.:p

sulla
03-05-2006, 06:00
Remember when you needed an extra table just for all the datafaxes, psychic cards, missions, strategy cards and wargear?

starlight
03-05-2006, 06:35
When Space Marines had *Medics*. My first models.:D

ScouserInExile
03-05-2006, 10:48
The rulebook being big enough to beat wales to death with. And no, that isn't a typo - you could use the 1st ed hardback rulebook to beat an entire country to death.

4 levels of psychic ability, each one with twelve skills. Some of which were just better versions of skills from lower levels.

Frag grenades that could hurt people

1/2" blast radius weapons. What was the point of those, they only ever hit one model.

Vehicles with "wounds" (wasn't it damage points or something?)

Macro cannons.

Hop-splat field guns.

the obligatory: squats, genestealer cults etc....

C. Langana
03-05-2006, 10:58
When a Leman russ had a turret armour of 25.
When the sentinel mounted an Ass. Cannon.
When the commlink was used to smash people with off table artillery.

meneptah
03-05-2006, 11:33
how evil vortex grenades were... especially when the template started to move around the board *evil grin*

Glennie
03-05-2006, 11:59
Anti-Plant Missiles........

cookiescrumble
03-05-2006, 12:01
Heres one for Dobby. :D

'Remember when assault cannons could jam.':eek:

Jedi152
03-05-2006, 12:04
Remember when they could triple jam ... BOOM!

hospitaller
You could use a shotgun to blow an eldar warlock back 2in back into his own scattered vortex......not to mention the tactics of overwatch.

meneptah
remember when abbadon got a 2+ save on 2d6! and you could blow chunks off tanks

gathering_darkness
03-05-2006, 12:20
remember the ork shokk attack gun with its hordes of rampaging snotlings? Or how about when men where men and the IG was filled even more with cannon fodder than it is now? with the exception of commissar squads

Wonderdog
03-05-2006, 12:25
Space Marine Scout squads with shotguns using the 1/2" pushback from taking a shotgun hit to send Abbadon flying off the table edge with the squads 10 shots.

Ripping up The virus outbreak card from Dark Millenium.

Alternatively, hitting something with 9 sustained fire shots from a single assault cannon, at strength 8, doing D10 wounds per shot. EAT IT TITAN! - And people complain about 4 S6 rending shots at 24"...pffft.

Ripping up The virus outbreak card from Dark Millenium.

Inquisitor lords being the single most horrifically tough guys in the universe. And having the holocaust and Chain lightning psychic powers, comfortably destroying an entire enemy army in a blinding flash turn one.

Buying 3 mint copies of Rogue Trader (2x1st ed softback, 1x 2nd ed hardback) at a jumblesale for 10p each.

And finally, ripping up The virus outbreak card from Dark Millenium.

#Wonderdog

calicojack
03-05-2006, 12:36
Remember Wargear being a purchase of a random roll on an equipment table? [Rogue Trader through Compendium]? Anyhow, enough of the "hey, look how old some of us are" thing; to answer about the 1/2" template weapons from Rogue Trader: as weapons with a radius, they would deviate if they missed, and possibly hit something else. Deviation worked differently - if a "blast" weapon missed, it would scatter, whereas not only indirect weapons scatter, and they now do so 2/3 of the time. What I do really miss, 'though, are the Conversion Beamer and the Las-Cutter. Boarding tools used poorly as weapons!

Elanthanis
03-05-2006, 13:07
Remember when you could target the ground and scatter fire any missile into any unit regardless of if you could see it or not?

Or remember when it took twenty minutes just to resolve the effects of plague marines throwing their grenades?

Ironhand
03-05-2006, 13:12
Which brings me to a question I'd like to ask Gorgrim. What "general frustration with the new edition" are you talking about? I don't know anyone who doesn't consider it a substantial improvement over the previous edition.

salamandercaptain
03-05-2006, 13:15
Fond memmories of Orky Brain crushers firing macrocannons with just a stupid range think it was over 9'.
Killing 3 out of 5 terminators with a shokk attack gun and the fourth member shooting the fifth due to snots jamming the controls.
12 madboy manias with 10-12 variations of each.

and the too often seen harlequin land raider, pure painting perfection.

ScouserInExile
03-05-2006, 13:28
How about the first Tyranid "codex" being in a White Dwarf? You could take all kindsa weird stuff like BrainSlave Chaos Marines...

Stormwarningz
03-05-2006, 13:28
Two words.
"Vortex grenade"

Isambard
03-05-2006, 13:41
Can you say Vortex Detonators?

My fave memory is watching my friends unit of 5 Lightning Claw termies teleport down and scatter into a 40 strong mob of grots. After the first round and mobbing up, each termie was in b2b with 5 or 6 grots, and some of the grots were next to 2 termies. There were about 60 combats to resolve in one round...

Lord Solar Plexus
03-05-2006, 13:43
I fondly remember my 5 Ogryns opening up on a poor Chaos Sorcerer with 2 sustained fire dice each and auto-hitting at 6"...ouch. I try to forget those stupid autocannons jamming on turn one. And I try to forget about that Nurgle champion with his standard and a jumppack who did d6 auto-wounds with no save...

1/2" blast radius weapons. What was the point of those, they only ever hit one model.

Squig pots or plasma grenades only needed to touch a model and would wander around...

remember when abbadon got a 2+ save on 2d6! and you could blow chunks off tanks

Yes, vividly. Or a Commander with Mark of Khorne, re-rollable armour save, displacer field...

I even remember the raging flamewars about all Khorne terminators having a 2+ save...

precinctomega
03-05-2006, 13:47
On a less cynical note than my last post:

Shokk Attack Gun. Was there ever anything like it? And Paul Brunner. I still love his stuff. Such character.

R.

DrDoom
03-05-2006, 13:57
Having my Terminators gutted by some Ork gun the fired squigs.

Vehicle Cards!

Virus Grenading Squats (yeah, Squats) into oblivion.

Vortex Grenade + Hive Tyrant with Volt Sheild, Null Field and Regeneration = FUNNY

Lord Hjamlar
03-05-2006, 14:02
Yeah Vortex grenades...And old SM stats... Rune Lord... He was better than current Carnifex :> What were the rules of mole mortar?

wilsonian
03-05-2006, 14:06
Vehicle Cards!

Yeah Baby!

Remember:

The card section in WD that would let yuou build a bunker?

when a metal tactical squad cost 9.99

nearly all ork battles lost just because marines were that hard!

the back of WD had a staff members army? I bought my first copy and it had the howling griffon's issue 180..... with a free korne marine - god they were the days!!!!!

ionfish
03-05-2006, 14:17
Using the Executioner psychic power to take out enemy characters without even getting near them... those were the days.

ScouserInExile
03-05-2006, 14:26
Anyone remember those targeting grid things for shooting at vehicles. You had an outline of the vehicle with all the locations marked on, each with it's own armour value. You would put the see-through targetting grid over the outline, with the centre on the bit of the vehicle you wanted to hit. You then rolled to a couple of d12's (not the hip-hop group, the dice) to see where your shot went. Took about a week to work out where your shot hit the vehicle, only to find out it didn't.

Old School
03-05-2006, 14:50
From Rogue Trader....

* Space Marines only had a Toughness of 3
* Power Armour only had a 4+ Save
* Bolters had a -1 save modifier and +1 To Hit modifier <12"
* Orks carried Bolters and had a BS of 3

So at <12", Orks could hit & wound on 3's with Bolters, and Space Marines only saved on a 5+!!! :skull:

Mankind's Greatest Warriors? You're 'avin a laugh!

ScouserInExile
03-05-2006, 14:53
From Rogue Trader....

* Space Marines only had a Toughness of 3

You sure about that? I could swear their stat line started 4 4 4 4 4 ...

x-esiv-4c
03-05-2006, 14:57
Ahhh The rogue-trader era vehicle damage templates with the transparancy.

Venkh
03-05-2006, 15:20
You sure about that? I could swear their stat line started 4 4 4 4 4 ...

They did indeed start with T3. They were buffed up on the release of the second plastic boxed set (near the end of the RT era)

My personal highlight was my 3 BS10, T10, power field protected, eldar dreadnoughts that mounted more than 6 plasma guns each. Probably my cheesiest moment.

Incognito
03-05-2006, 15:22
Back when Ollanius Pius was the mainstream canon and noone knew about that Sanguinius imposter (a somewhat tragic reversal).

lee
03-05-2006, 15:22
grey knight heros who where over 600pts:eek:

geek0815
03-05-2006, 17:46
Some fond memories:

...you could actually kill Models by crushing them with a Tank (intentionally and unintentionally).
...models caught fire.
...Ork weapons/gear malfunctions which sometimes turned out to be worse then the "normal" weapon damage (to both players).

Other memories:

...the Eldar Psykers were a joke compared to Scriptors (8 possible Powers vs. 32).
...Games would take 5-6 hours (or even more), due to all the rules.
...one single Strategy card ruining the entire game.

neXus6
03-05-2006, 17:59
The 2nd Ed. Nid codex. It is brilliant, the stories are great.

More importantly the tyranid "random crap happening" tables.

"Jones is acting strangely" anyone?

Tra, la, la, la, la..uhhh I don't feel so ... *Whumph* Tendrils everywhere. :p

Phyros
03-05-2006, 18:10
Littering the field with plasma grenades/missiles and rolling for them each turn...watching them either drift, shrink or expand up to 12" diameter.

Corporal Chaos
03-05-2006, 20:48
Does anyone remember the vehicle rule book that was published. Had a clear targeting page that you placed over a silouett of the vehicle you were attacking and rolled to see the deviation from thr targeted part.... obscure yes but quite amusing. I wish I could post the cover...
Memories

Rogal Dorn
03-05-2006, 21:52
I remember Mark Gibbons picture of mephiston in the angels of death codex - i loved that pic and he had some uber stats too .. oh, or how about ragnar blackmane w/ a displacer field (3+ save) and his dodge (4+ save) .. oh or how about the graviton gun .. or dare i say "The Squats".

I also recall it took like 397 hours to resolve a close combat w/ parries, fumbles, criticals, etc... ahh the memories

boogle
03-05-2006, 23:01
I dug out my old Dark Millenium book the other day, and was sorely tempted to play 2nd ed, then i realised that Xhalax only has 13th Company

Morathi's Darkest Sin
03-05-2006, 23:38
When You needed D10's to play with Ork Madboyz... ah that was the life.

Also that huge pile of Ork mod cards you could play on equipment and the like.

Lascannons giving -7 (or was it -9) armour saves and save modifiers in general.

Lord Centurion
03-05-2006, 23:44
I was quite fond of the mission cards in one edition!

Also i remember reading my first battle report: Ragnar Blackmanes Wolves battling Ghazgull for possesion of a tank with secret goodness in :D

Wow very fond memories!

Lord Malachi
04-05-2006, 00:34
Remember when 40k was so complicated and contorted that they had to make THREE revisions? *Sigh*

Chaos and Evil
04-05-2006, 00:40
Remeber when 40k contained tactics other than charge or shoot?

Gorgrim
04-05-2006, 01:10
Which brings me to a question I'd like to ask Gorgrim. What "general frustration with the new edition" are you talking about? I don't know anyone who doesn't consider it a substantial improvement over the previous edition.

Well, I was referring to people complaining about the rule set at the moment and thought about the old editions;

Considering the general frustration with the new edition, I began thinking of the 'good old days' and how everything seemed simpler. But soon realised, it really wasn't.

As mentioned in the thread, the current set is better than previous editions as a set of rules, but the older editions seemed more enjoyable with all the whackiness.

Remember when Eldar ruled the pyschic phase?

I cast 'Doom'
Okay I nulify
I cast 'Doom' again
Alright, nulified
I cast 'Doom' again
Poop, out of nulify cards.
Aha-ha-ha-ha, 'Eldritch Storm!'.

And then storing unused cards for next turn.

NorthernMike
04-05-2006, 01:29
Remember when the Guard had the coolest com-link ever? The way it should work, command squads calling down fire, and not weak fire either (S8 I think Big Blast!!!). Ripper guns that were actually good too!

And man was I ever afraid of those Warpspiders deathspinners!

Where can you get these rules these days?

Ardathair
04-05-2006, 02:57
Before Armor Values for vehical, just toughness, saves, wounds. Vehicals could actualy run over troops (Not just trying to scare them into leaving the battle.), or into other vehicals.

Having an easier time hitting the broad side of a barn than hitting a jetbike speeding through your field of vision.

You actually had a chance to shoot at troops assaulting you instead of them moving to fast for you to pull a trigger (I'm 16" away you can't shoot me, bam I'm assaulting you. What are those things in your hand?)

Where not everyone moved at the same pace.

Power armor was more effective against lasguns than autocannons.

{I know, I know some of these did require the use of complex mathematical concepts like addition and subtraction which the average gamer is not supposed to be capable of but calculators for these complicated procecess are common and in expensive.:evilgrin: }

cailus
04-05-2006, 02:58
Good things: (ALL 2ND ED)

Frag grenades scattering backwards and killing my own Orks!

40 Grots + 20 Orks + 20 Marines in 2nd ed starter kit. I still use some of the Gorts (22 painted) and the Orks 10 years after they were brought.

Vortex Grenades

Killing Mephiston with an assault cannon.

Mephiston killing Abbadon and Kharne in the same battle.

Armour save modifiers.

To hit modifiers

Orks who could shoot well and actually hit on a 2+ at short range with their bolt pistols.

Grots with autoguns - not bad at all.

Dreadnoughts actually kicking ass in close combat (unlike today where they are power fist fodder).

Shooting more potent than combat (slighlty improved with 4th ed).

Overwatch

The humour.

The art - even the bad stuff contributed to the 40K atmosphere.

Good White Dwarf (they were generally good to about issue 300 or 305. The last 2 or 3 are only good for toilet paper).

Bad Things:

3rd edition WH40K - what a fricking joke...

cailus
04-05-2006, 03:01
Before Armor Values for vehical, just toughness, saves, wounds. Vehicals could actualy run over troops (Not just trying to scare them into leaving the battle.), or into other vehicals.

Having an easier time hitting the broad side of a barn than hitting a jetbike speeding through your field of vision.

You actually had a chance to shoot at troops assaulting you instead of them moving to fast for you to pull a trigger (I'm 16" away you can't shoot me, bam I'm assaulting you. What are those things in your hand?)

Where not everyone moved at the same pace.

Power armor was more effective against lasguns than autocannons.

{I know, I know some of these did require the use of complex mathematical concepts like addition and subtraction which the average gamer is not supposed to be capable of but calculators for these complicated procecess are common and in expensive.:evilgrin: }

Yup, I agree with you on all points.

Hawkeye
04-05-2006, 03:03
Another old fave of mine was the updated Vehicle Damage Charts published in a White Dwarf just after Rogue Trader came out. Six location charts, each with six damage results for each location. You could throw a track and only be able to turn in place, your turret could jam, or, my favourite, your gravitiv engines overload and the skimmer rises 10 inches in height every turn until it disappears... bye-bye!

Those were the days.

Oh, and when heavy weapons slowed you down, unless you had suspensors!

BDJV
04-05-2006, 06:24
Assault cannons with a 32 inch range!

Combi weapons that were not one shot!

Shuriken Catpults with a 24 inch range!

2nd ed where vehicles were worth taking!

Good times!:evilgrin:

zealousheretic
04-05-2006, 06:44
The 2nd Ed. Nid codex. It is brilliant, the stories are great.

More importantly the tyranid "random crap happening" tables.

"Jones is acting strangely" anyone?

Tra, la, la, la, la..uhhh I don't feel so ... *Whumph* Tendrils everywhere. :p

I need to find my 2nd edition codex, there was some amazing fluff in there. A lot of it has been rewritten (mostly to make the Ultramarines look cooler).

And the Tyranid Disruption Table ruled. Very cool and flavorful, and some of the results were just evil.

The thing I sorta miss about 2nd edition was all the crazy **** that could happen in a game. Everyone has stories about vehicle chain-reaction explosions that took out half of a guy's army, or the endless fun that orkish artillery usually caused.

Also, the Foot of Gork. Best template ever.

Gavmo
04-05-2006, 06:49
"Hahaa!!!Vortex Grenade!!!"

"Hah hah haaaa!!! Vortex Detonator!!!"

"Noooo!!!"

And what about poor little M'kari, who had a 2+ invulnerable save!
Bits got blown off your tanks,
A conversion was when you glued a sword to the back of one of your guys, and it didnt have a handle. :D
Sustained fire dice.
Overwatch. Where you'd do nothing in your first turn just so that you could shoot the other guy in his.
Ramming tanks with your tanks! And the dozer blade wasnt just for clearing difficult terrain.
Chapter masters had WS and BS 8.

And the best thing in ANY 40k? The rules for the battlewagon! You could pile on as many Orkes as you could fit, but if any fell off, they died! And it wasnt like you could just move it slowly, no, no, no. You had to move it physically the speed that it was going to move. If it was going fast, you knew some Orks were going to die!:evilgrin:

And I think the lascannon was a -9 armour modifier.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-05-2006, 07:53

By previous edition, do you mean over 3rd, or over the game system that went before it? (2nd and RT)

Caus I don't think it's an improvement over the first versions.

Anyway, remember when you could shot gunners and drivers in tanks and have them go wild?

Same with Jetbikes and speeders.

Or the template death a unit of Warp Spiders would unleash. Or having a whole suqad of harlequins on jet bikes. And then giving them blind grenades.

Ardathair
04-05-2006, 08:11
-6 armor modifier was the most any weapon even the Defence Laser got, on 1d6 what more do you need? Terminator cheese of using 2d6 came out after all the weapons were done because they were supposed to be so good.

Throwing grenades, what a novel concept.:rolleyes:

You could actually damage a vehical with weapons which could not destroy it out right.

When Design Your Own vehical was he standard not the exception, because GW would never be able to produce the variety of models needed to represent all the possable vehical in the 41st milenium.

AgentZero
04-05-2006, 08:18
This is a bit of a nostaglic trip for me. Considering the general frustration with the new edition, I began thinking of the 'good old days' and how everything seemed simpler. But soon realised, it really wasn't.

Remember when...

...the thudd gun had that funky template thing?

I miss the good old days, when the game wasn't stupided down so new borns could play. Overwatch.The grenades.The funky templates.The star charts,reference tables,and graphs were awesome. When armies/races were less carbon copies of one another.SQUATS!Zoats!Tyranid Cults.Space Hulk.Fall of the Eldar.Gorkamorka!Salamanders were almost cool then:p

Bob Hunk
04-05-2006, 08:51
The old 2nd edition version of Regenerate for 'Nids, where they'd regenerate each lost wound on a 4+ at the end of the turn, but the enemy could still shoot them while they were down and waiting to regenerate, giving them negative wounds.
Back in those days Carnifexes had 10 wounds; I once had one reduced to minus 14 wounds by the firepower of nearly an entire Eldar army, and he still got up again at the end of the turn. :D Ahhhh, in those days 'Fexes moved faster than most other people, so you could actually send them sprinting across the battlefield to crash into tanks, bunkers, etc, just like it says in the fluff! And their save was 3+ on 2D6! I miss the old Carnifex! :cries:
Also, the Catalyst Tyranid power when it was cool. The effected squad was subject to frenzy (double move, double attacks, always charge) and took their save on 2D6 instead of 1D6. I was so disappointed when it got revised to the current **** version.
Finally, in those days Zoanathropes could actually hit something the majority of the time! :mad:

Darkseer
04-05-2006, 08:55
I remember when 'Rhino Rush' wasn't troops rushing forward in Rhinos.

It was 10 empty Rhino transports driving full speed at the enemy to mow down his troops.

ScouserInExile
04-05-2006, 09:12
Lascannon sniping: as you could choose the target for each model in a squad, anyone with a lascannon would always end up sniping at any characters they could see. -6 save and 3D6 damage = dead character

Lord Solar Plexus
04-05-2006, 10:16
Space Marine Scout squads with shotguns using the 1/2" pushback from taking a shotgun hit to send Abbadon flying off the table edge with the squads 10 shots.

I thought terminators weren't affected by shotguns.

Some fond memories:

...models caught fire.

Ah yes, setting alight that unkillable Farseer...we always wanted to invent a wargear card called Eldar fire extinguisher because that was what they really feared...nothing like a couple of Hellhounds toasting the pointy-ears!

one single Strategy card ruining the entire game.

We usually played without those, or would at the least take out the likes of virus bombing..

Lascannons giving -7 (or was it -9) armour saves and save modifiers in general.

-6. Just like Heavy Plasma Guns and Krak missiles.

Lord Solar Plexus
04-05-2006, 10:18
Lascannon sniping: as you could choose the target for each model in a squad, anyone with a lascannon would always end up sniping at any characters they could see. -6 save and 3D6 damage = dead character

Sounds pretty illegal to me. Afaik you had one squad targeting another squad (the closest). Of course the heavy weapon could shoot at a different target but still followed the normal targeting rules. No picking out of characters.

Sikkukkut
04-05-2006, 10:20
And the best thing in ANY 40k? The rules for the battlewagon! You could pile on as many Orkes as you could fit, but if any fell off, they died!

No, no, they didn't die, they took a hit of a Strength based on how fast the vehicle was going. So you'd have this Battlewagon tearing along with all these orks running after it, frantically trying to keep coherency with their mobmates on board, yelling "wait fer uzz!"

Oh, and vehicles towing field artillery onto the table, where they could then stop and unlimber the gun wherever they'd towed it to. And the "orky unlimber" where orks could just shoot or chop off the towing connection while the vehicle was moving at full speed, letting it spin off randomly to be "deployed" wherever it happened to come to rest.

Did anyone, anywhere, ever use those rules?

Shadowheart
04-05-2006, 12:57
Hallucinogen Grenades. I don't know if anyone could actually use the things, but those were the coolest bit of wargear around. The ability to make your enemy jump up and down and flap his arms for the rest of the game is awesome.

Actually, the full set of 2nd edition rule/Codex books is awesome as a whole. Since the desolation that was 3rd edition I've really come to appreciate the content of those books. Good artwork too, as has been mentioned before.
I've picked up some Rogue Trader books since then, but though they have their charm they're too rough and undeveloped. Though Ian Miller's art added a nice touch.

The quality of the Eavy Metal painting and the studio scenery was also great in those days, despite the doctrine of bright colours and Goblin Green bases. The second WD I bought had an amazing set of scenery featuring a crashed spaceship.

Also, remember when not every square millimetre of a miniature was covered in "bling"? When freehand painting (especially of checkerboard patterns) was the way to show off your skill with the brush? When half the miniatures in an army had paper back banners (or as was more common, empty banner poles)?

DrDoom
04-05-2006, 13:16
Chaos Terminators with Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield.

*Wipes tear from eye*

I miss those guys.

ScouserInExile
04-05-2006, 13:21
Sounds pretty illegal to me. Afaik you had one squad targeting another squad (the closest). Of course the heavy weapon could shoot at a different target but still followed the normal targeting rules. No picking out of characters.

In Rogue Trader, there were no rules about one squad targeting another, members of a squad could target anything withing their fire arc (and in range and visible). In fact, it wasdn't uncommon for an entire squad to target the heavy weapon carrier of an oppositions squad.

tau-ranid
04-05-2006, 14:17
Penal Battallions and Human Bombs

ShamedOne
04-05-2006, 14:30
You guys are forgetting about the wonderful hardcover chaos books and how all of the 'mutations' for chaos lords were random.

Somehow, my opponene ALWAYS managed to roll only beneficial traits (and even then only the BEST beneficial traits) every single game.

Shamed-1

Gen.Steiner
04-05-2006, 17:25
Most of the stuff I can remember's already been said... but no harm saying it again:

2nd Edition.

MODIFIERS!
Overwatch.
Blast templates.
Thrown grenades.
Overwatch.
Plausible realism.
Comedy.
Tanks that acted like tanks.
Different move rates!
Moving, shifting, templates.

And, most of all... the codexes. It's my eternal shame that I have only Ultramarines and Guard from the 2nd Edition. I do have Dark Millenium and the box set though, but still... :cries:

tau-ranid
05-05-2006, 00:47
Oooo. I forgot to mention, building and programming robots.

cailus
05-05-2006, 01:05
Can't remember if this is fantasy or 40K or both but when everytime you killed a Pink Horror it would be replaced by 2 Blue Horrors.

Plasma weapons not dominating. Also 2 fire modes for the heavy plasma gun.

Smaller armies - this led to more development in terms of character. Fielding 120 Guants is boring. And it's daft when you field 80 Orks and most of them are dead by turn 4 with their entire accomplishment being taking a bolter round to the head.

Jammybee
05-05-2006, 02:24
IIRC:

Painting a red stripe on ork vehicles made them go faster,

Terminator cyclone missile launcher, 20 shots, each added 1/2" to the template size. Firing all 20 for a 10" radius template :D

Overwatch: Back in the day when your guys didnt just watch stuff pop up, blow away their tank, then just go back out of sight. Or just stand there while being assaulted from ~18" away

Jedi152
05-05-2006, 08:13
Terminator cyclone missile launcher, 20 shots, each added 1/2" to the template size. Firing all 20 for a 10" radius template :D
But remember if you got hit while wearing it. Wasn't there a chance of catastrophic firing? All the missiles firing in random directions?

I loved the randomness of 2nd. ed.

dOOHICKY
05-05-2006, 08:43
Master of the Ravenwing in a Landspeeder with a displacer field!
It was the one with the bubble so that it didn't work in close combat... but was big enough to cover the Landspeeder, giving it an invulnerable save!!!!

WTF?? :?

Lord Solar Plexus
05-05-2006, 09:59
Don't want to spoil the fun but having played 2E until late last year I can't believe I will ever go back...my soldiers seem tougher, my vehicles seem tougher, transported troops can survive, small arms can hurt someone...okay, I throwing grenades is nice, and shooting into cc I really miss but otherwise 2E was too much like "Rambo-Abbaddon-HT eats your army" "No he don't, this time I took this 350 point psyker".

Oh, and the graviton gun was much better - like a second vortex grenade, it was an amiable and reliable equalizer.

Remeber when 40k contained tactics other than charge or shoot?

No, when was that?

OMG. Do you really think playing Nids against an entire enemy army armed with flamers and assault cannons in overwatch was great fun?

Back in those days Carnifexes had 10 wounds; I once had one reduced to minus 14 wounds by the firepower of nearly an entire Eldar army, and he still got up again at the end of the turn.

That's not legal - you had to buy a regenerate for any wound, and since he had 10 you could only buy him 10 regenerates (for 100 points!).

Hallucinogen Grenades. I don't know if anyone could actually use the things,

I believe Arbites could.

Tarquinn
05-05-2006, 10:04
I believe Arbites could.
Harlequins could use them.

Lord Solar Plexus
05-05-2006, 13:09
That's right. But then again, people neither played Arbites nor Harlequins...although I was always fascinated with the Judges. A Lictor (Supreme Judge) with WS 8? Hey-ho!

There were also tanglefoot and choke grenades, the workings of which I have long forgotten, and needle pistols, and web pistols which only a selected few could grab...

Another *very* funny thing was the conversion field - afair only Orks would be blinded because everyone else would wear some kind of protective goggles. Ha! Look here, xenos scum! The Emperor's light blinds you!

Zander
05-05-2006, 13:36
Conversion Beamers.

Ahhhh, the memories.

elaric
05-05-2006, 13:37
Antiplant missiles: Devastator squad hiding in a wood or behind a hedgeline? antiplant them and take the cover away!
When 40K was played on green field tables more than anything else.
"Jones is acting strangly" : wiping out an entire Squat hearthguard in exo armour on turn one without firing a shot. ( should have seen the look on the other guys face when those tentacles started flying!)

Phyros
05-05-2006, 14:52

Nope, Cyclone only held 12 missiles and each one fired after the first in a volley added 1/2" to the total diameter, not radius. :D So if you unloaded you'd get to use the 3" template.

That's not legal - you had to buy a regenerate for any wound, and since he had 10 you could only buy him 10 regenerates (for 100 points!).

Actually that was legal. Regenerate wasn't bought on a set number of times to be use in the game. Price was based on the number of wounds the creature had in it's profile. :) Yes, the Regenerating Carnifex was nice. :p

Gwildebeast
05-05-2006, 15:34
How about battles where squads would jump from cover to cover every other turn whilst another squad overwatched, thus allowing you to use what was effectively suppressing fire, an actual tactic used by actual soldiers.:eek:

or Tarantula support weapons for Marines, with twin linked heavy bolters, a squad of which could lay down about 12 sustained fire dice in a turn and make people think twice about sneaking up the flank.:)

childofnurgle
05-05-2006, 16:00
My Harlequin Death Jester firing a bio-explosive shuriken into a Terminator Librarian leading a 6 man terminator squad, he failed his save, his head exploded (Instant killing him) and the whole squad failed the subsequent leadership check and ran straight off of the table.

Almost 700 points from a 1500 point army gone with one shot...... Oh happy days!

Jedi152
05-05-2006, 16:02
Remember when all heavy bolters came with a choice of standard or hellfire shells?

Bob Hunk
05-05-2006, 16:16

As someone else said, it was legal. Regenerate cost 10 points per wound the creature had (so 100 points for the 'Fex), but you did not purchase individual Regenerate abilities for individual wounds! There was no limit to the number of wounds you could regenerate; you simply rolled 1D6 per wound the creature had taken, and for each 4+ it recovered a wound.

The description of the 2ED Regenerate biomorph specifically stated that the creature could aquire negative wounds while waiting to regenerate to represent "the enemy continuing to shoot them to make absolutely sure they were dead". Which in my story, it obviously wasn't! :evilgrin:

Jellicoe
05-05-2006, 17:19
ooh memory lane
in no particular order

10 for 3 rhinos
mole mortars
marine medics and huge charts to work out their effects (always best mounted on a MkIV Bullock jetcycle for battlefield mobility)
dreadnought and vehicle random damage charts which could kill something stone dead in one roll or leave you blasting chunks out of a vehicle all game
Eldar spirit and ghost walkers, the latter being virtually invisible as they could only be seen at a distance equivalent to the enemy's initiative
Juggernauts - we converted an Action man Scorpion tank into an awesome machine of death way before they came up with a Command leviathan
Webbers
Grav guns
Conversion beamers
White Dwarf having articles and scenarios
Oi Dats my leg
Talisman
Block Mania
Dungeon Quest
Making landspeeders out of roll ondeodorant tubes (a great ploy to make teenage gamers smell better)

so much so long ago

sigh

best go find my slippers and incontinence pads

The Emperor
05-05-2006, 19:03
The best thing ever was shooting two Ork Warbikes, seeing them go out of control and crashing into the three Ork Warbikes in front of them, and seeing THEM go out of control, one of them rushing headlong straight into Ghazghkull Thraka and KILLING HIM! :wtf: LMAO!!! :evilgrin:

Wraithbored
06-05-2006, 01:55
Eldar players overjoyed in 1996 when the Fire Prism was released! :D

The Emperor
06-05-2006, 02:07
Eldar players overjoyed in 1996 when the Fire Prism was released! :D

As were Imperial players who, by that point, were sick of seeing the Eldar fielding Rhino's and Leman Russ Battle Tanks as allies. :eyebrows:

Gorgrim
06-05-2006, 02:29
* Block Mania

Man, I have been trying to find this thing for ages. Being a Judge Dredd fan for so long.

Remember when you only had one army to play with?

Shaper Shakra
06-05-2006, 02:51
Every model in my army having a backpack that spit out all sorts of nasty grenady goodness. And my pink, purple, green, red, and orange Landraider.

zealousheretic
06-05-2006, 03:16
The assault cannon being even more insane and ridiculous than it currently is.

I chuckle slightly when people complain about the rending donkey gun in it's current incarnation: it's really nowhere near as powerful as it was in second ed.

I really miss the old codexes; there was a lot of really wonderful background in them. I miss the more in-depth treatment of Chaos; there was some really cool stuff about the traitor legions in 2nd edition that's not really part of the canon anymore.

MIGHTYPanhead
06-05-2006, 03:29
Anyone remember when a small nudge of the table would break your all-metal hormagaunts? :p

Gotta get me some more of those, they're like some sort of drug.

Strictly Commercial
06-05-2006, 07:47
What happened? This game sounded tons more fun back in the day. I still like it, but 2nd ed sounds pretty fly.

Prophaniti
06-05-2006, 08:24
Jokaero. High tech Orang-utans!
Turn radius ratio.
360" Jetbike top speed.
Having to wait for your army list to be published in White Dwarf.
Dark future.
Kennedy was shot :confused:
The polystyrene board for Blood Bowl.
Having all the relevant rules to play in the 'Battle Manual', 'Vehicle Manual' and your army list. The actual rulebook only being needed for psychology and occasionally psychic powers too.

Bluesabre
06-05-2006, 16:09
Suspensor discs, so Joe guardsman could carry around his lascannon and if he didnt have them the rest of the squad had to wait for him to catch up.

Maugan Ra surviving being run over by a chimera then hacking it to bits in close combat.

Jain Zar fumbling a vortex grenade roll and dropping it at her feet.....

Space marines with a rank structure between squad and Chapter Master.

So much more :cries: pity I lost my photocopy of RT.

Wraithbored
06-05-2006, 16:11
Suspensor discs, so Joe guardsman could carry around his lascannon and if he didnt have them the rest of the squad had to wait for him to catch up.

Maugan Ra surviving being run over by a chimera then hacking it to bits in close combat.

Jain Zar fumbling a vortex grenade roll and dropping it at her feet.....

Space marines with a rank structure between squad and Chapter Master.

So much more :cries: pity I lost my photocopy of RT.
Look under your bed mate! That stuff is usualy there! ;)

Smedley
06-05-2006, 18:45
Wow...stumbling across this tells me I'm in the right place!

Lesse...someone already beat me to the Thudd gun template, the portable TV tray for all the psychic/warp/strategy cards and vehicle datafaxes, virus weapons...

Okay, heres one: Remember when shooting at a vehicle meant you actually pulled out a schematic of the vehicle and targeted specific locations of it, then made your roll and for every point you missed the roll you'd deviate off the targeted area by that many points on a grid? Then you'd get to go back and correct your aim by as many points as you had in your BS?

How about the days when Harlequins could roll out there, blinging Land Raiders and Predators festooned with lozenge patterns, stripes, polka dots and psychedelic swirlie paintjobs?

Or when GW actively promoted using toys and models from outsisde sources as vehicles for their game? My Genestealer Cult was full of em!

How about Robots? Or follow fire?

I'll shut up now...

Smedley

Smedley
06-05-2006, 18:55
Couldn't resist -

Remember when the codexes and support books actually had fiction written for and intended to be read by adults? When the Realm of Chaos books would give you shivers, and there were times when little Timmy just didn't get some of the references or material?

How about articles in White Dwarf that were designed to help you save money? I've still got a few rattling around that have templates for scratchbuilding Gobsmashas, Baneblades, stuff like that.

How about the Slann, anyone?

Smedley
Smedley

Lord Solar Plexus
07-05-2006, 09:08
Actually that was legal.

As someone else said, it was legal.

Then I stand corrected.

silverstu
07-05-2006, 09:58
Displacer fields which moved your model, warp spiders which terrified spcae marines, giving your entire marine force jumpacks- including devastators[the white dwarf list- same one harlequins appeared in. rediculous psykers- having a land raider lifted by telekenesis[lvl4] and dropped on my command squad. design your own dreads which ended up being an arms race- 3 t10 power fields anyone plus as many guns as you could stick on.. lots of fun,lots of quirky humourous stuff, great fiction and loads of art- codexes jammed with info, pics, fluff and great models.

Pilgrim
07-05-2006, 10:31
I forget what's already been posted, but has there been a mention of Zoats and their Zoatibix yet? :cool:

Also remember BS3 Orks, with all their odd artillery, like the Pulsa Rokkit and Bubble-Chukka.

Space Marine support-weapon batteries. Grey Knight Terminators that could cost, iirc, 600 points or so per squad.

The cardboard Dreadnought from the 2nd edition box (bless its 2d heart), and the Battle for Armageddon scenarios that were the introduction to the game.

The reams of background scattered all over the place, and the bizarre artwork from the old studio (especially the chap who did the Fighting Fantasy artwork).

Ahhhh, happy times, I could recite memories all day :)

Adrian

charrky
13-05-2006, 01:47
you got 30 marines in a box from GW for under 30 bucks (AUS)?

How come now one has mentioned has mentioned back in the day when gretchins and snotlings had seperate characteristics and you could take squigs...?

Remember when the orks actually had a GW model for the Battlewagon?

Fiver
13-05-2006, 09:24
* Grey Hunters with WS 5.

* The rules for hallucinogenic gasses; images of a space marine thinking he was a bird and trying to take off by flapping his arms. :D

* Ork 'Edbangers. Nuff said.

Jammybee
14-05-2006, 04:41
IG - preliminary bombardment, a free battlecannon shot per LR,LRD,BASA
- leaving your squad heay weapon behind to give support fire.
- Lasguns had a -1 save modifier

Marines - T3 and 4+ save :(

SQUATS!

Orks - Their battlewagon model that could transport as many orks as you could fit on it without tem falling off.

I could be remebering wrong but the overall feel of the game tended to be more shooty, not either charge accross the board/stand as far back as poss

Some of my favourites, I think ill go dig out my RT....

Cornelius
14-05-2006, 10:16
When there was no such thing as Chaos in 40k.

When Marines were T 3, with 4+ save.

When the Eldar Exarchs had a special power with which they could steal their opponent's weapons and use them for the remainder of the game, and the game AFTER the current one. (My Dire Avenger Exarch usually went for Heavy Bolters...)

And much later, in 2nd edition, when you could use graviton guns to pin stuff and make Carnifexes immobile.

simonr1978
14-05-2006, 10:31
Apologees if these have been mentioned before:

Chaos Genestealers.

Being able to split squads mid-battle.

The Marine Army List that allowed you to take over a dozen characters and being able to take more or less what you wanted providing you had your minimum choices.

Marines being armed with Bolt Gun, Bolt Pistol, Knife, Frag and Krak grenades as standard.

Redundant equipment, by that I mean how many people actually properly used the likes of the Bio-Scanner and Energy Scanner of Marines power armour (For Example).

The D1000 table from Realm of Chaos - The Lost and the Damned.

Squats and their combat eggs, sorry I meant exo-armour.

Imperial Robots, Beastmen, Human Bombs and Penal Battalions.

Medics and Painboyz.

Cornelius
14-05-2006, 10:42
Marines being armed with Bolt Gun, Bolt Pistol, Knife, Frag and Krak grenades as standard.

Don't forget the auto-senses, whatever they did.

simonr1978
14-05-2006, 11:14
I forget the full list of equipment for each and every Marine, Bolt Gun, Bolt pistol, Knife (Or Combat Accesory), Power Armour, Respirator, Bio Scanner, Energy Scanner, Autosenses, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades.

Any ex-RT players care to add anything I've missed?

Edit, Oh yeah and heavy weapons had a Targetter (Bonus to hit) and Suspensors (Negated movement penalties) as standard.

Spell_of_Destruction
14-05-2006, 12:50
A D-Cannon displacing an entire Imperial Bastion (the old cardboard model with plastic bulkheads) 10 meters in the air...with half a Blood Angels force occupying it! :evilgrin:

Phunting
14-05-2006, 19:58
Primarch Lyyn Elgonsen

Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau :rolleyes: :eyebrows:

Chaos Cultists!

Jet bikes, and IG Speeders

When the book suggested you use toy crocodiles for Crotalids instead of buying Lizardmen models.

Experience.

Been said many many time already, but overwatch!

Darkseer
14-05-2006, 21:55
Chaos Lord of Khorne who joined a unit of bezerkers for their X3 movement furious charge rules and injected himself full of combat drugs = 24" charge range! (or something equally silly) :D lol

Luna de hierro
14-05-2006, 22:31
Remember when...

Wolf guard with WS6.

IG with jet bikes.

Corporal Chaos
15-05-2006, 01:47
Guardsmen with jump packs and Land Raiders.

ScouserInExile
15-05-2006, 13:22
Rolling a d12 for scatter direction, then argueing for an hour about which way "2" was...

Gorgrim
15-05-2006, 15:02
...rolling for armour penetration required D&D dice.

Phunting
15-05-2006, 22:53
How about articles in White Dwarf that were designed to help you save money? I've still got a few rattling around that have templates for scratchbuilding Gobsmashas, Baneblades, stuff like that.
Ahh yes I still have, and occasionally use, my cardboard Baneblade. Genius...

StugMeister
16-05-2006, 10:10
-Wolfguard armies - all Terminators all with assault cannon!

-Cyclone Missile Launchers, firing all the rockets off in the first turn and taking out a large portion of the opposing army with its massive blast template!!

-Cult armies

-Great, intricate close combats.

-Effective shooting

-Overwatch and the tactics it allowed.

-Tanks that acted like tanks; movement, shooting and damage wise!

-Proper tank shock = SPLAT!!

-Eldar Avatar versus Bloodthirster fighting it out in CC on a bridge for the ENTIRE game. Glory, true glory!

-Strategy cards. Such greats as Flank Attack and Reinforcements (Can't remember all of them)

-The Psychic phase with great powers like Smite, Machine Curse, Executioner, Eldritch Storm.

When Black Roses Bloom
16-05-2006, 12:55
How about those toughness 8 Necron Scarabs. ;)
That actually reduced the armour rating of the vehicle. :p

And 3+ saves on 2 dice for terminators and carnifexes.

YEAH THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!

Remember when the "new" (back then) chaos terminators were released? *sigh*

And the first time I saw the "screamer killer" and learned why the called it that way...

The first tyranid warriors with the bone sword that they kept it like pet growing back into a full sword when it broke during battle.

Edit:

WEAPON JAMMING!!! MOUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ahm...

Lame Duck
16-05-2006, 13:39
Could anyone kindly explain what overwatch was? It sounds fairly interesting.

Judgeing from what people are saying here i think GW should look back at some of their older rules. I would really love tanks to be real tanks ,actually runnning over stuff. Andfor more options game wise to be available (splitting squads for instance, again, sounds interesting).

Spell_of_Destruction
16-05-2006, 13:47
Could anyone kindly explain what overwatch was? It sounds fairly interesting.

Rather than moving or shooting with a unit you had the option of putting them into "overwatch". The advantage of this was that they would get first shot against any enemy unit that entered their LOS (It allowed your units to shoot in your opponent's turn). The disadvantage was that your opponent could dictate what they fired at.

DrDoom
16-05-2006, 13:47
If you were willing to give up shooting during your shooting phase, Overwatch let you shoot during the other players movement phase. It was brilliant. From what I recall, the best part was that you could fire ANY weapon. Man, that was fun.

Nailed
16-05-2006, 13:49
This is a bizarre thread, i've just got back into 40k, the last time I played 2nd edition rules had just been released..

Spell_of_Destruction
16-05-2006, 14:13
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the 3" blast radius demolisher cannon!

Hawkmoon
16-05-2006, 14:14
[QUOTE=StugMeister-Strategy cards. Such greats as Flank Attack and Reinforcements (Can't remember all of them)[/QUOTE]

Ahhh. Strategy cards. How I miss you.....thats only if I get the good ones. :D

Phunting
16-05-2006, 17:31
With all the pining for overwatch, has anyone tried re-introducing it in 3rd or 4th ed? I'd imagine it would work easily enough...

Phyros
16-05-2006, 17:51
If you were willing to give up shooting during your shooting phase, Overwatch let you shoot during the other players movement phase. It was brilliant. From what I recall, the best part was that you could fire ANY weapon. Man, that was fun.

Don't forget the To-Hit modifiers! If you wanted to shoot on overwatch you had:
-1 if you were being charged
-1 if the target was coming out of soft cover
-2 if the target was coming out of hard cover
-1 if the target was moving more than 10 inches
-2 if the target was moving 20-30 inches
-1 for just firing on overwatch

So your Space Marine Devastators (BS 4) with Multi-meltas who on overwatch (-1) who wanted to shoot at my charging (-1) Carnifex (who just busted out of those woods (-2) moving at 12" (-1)) would need a 7 to hit (roll a 6 and then a 4+).
Your BS can down fast on overwatch :D

Cornelius
16-05-2006, 18:02
Don't forget the To-Hit modifiers! If you wanted to shoot on overwatch you had:
-1 if you were being charged
-1 if the target was coming out of soft cover
-2 if the target was coming out of hard cover
-1 if the target was moving more than 10 inches
-2 if the target was moving 20-30 inches
-1 for just firing on overwatch

You may be right, but I don't recall the -1 for being or Overwatch, nor the -2 for movement out of hard cover (was that in Necromunda, by the way?). Jetbikes were horrible, with a movement of 36" and all. The best way to get rid of them was to throw frag grenades on them and hope that the inevitable scatter touched at least one bike...

Phyros
16-05-2006, 18:05
It was a while back and memory tends to be hazy. The point was : Yeah, you might be on overwatch but after you added all the modifiers it's not like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Unless you were Dark Reapers and ignored movement mods to shooting.
Or you were a Vindicare with a BS of 8 and no matter how many mods you added you still had a decent chance to hit.

Spell_of_Destruction
16-05-2006, 19:34
So your Space Marine Devastators (BS 4) with Multi-meltas who on overwatch (-1) who wanted to shoot at my charging (-1) Carnifex (who just busted out of those woods (-2) moving at 12" (-1)) would need a 7 to hit (roll a 6 and then a 4+).
Your BS can down fast on overwatch :D

Ah, but you're forgetting that the Carnifex was a large target so +1 to it and didn't Devastators come with targetters? Then again, with those multi meltas do they not then need a 6 to wound against the T10 :eek: Carnifex?

Phyros
16-05-2006, 19:37
That is true, it was a large target. I am not sure about Devastators having targeters, but Terminators had them.
Carnifexes were Toughness 8 (or 9 with Toughened Exoskeleton).

Spell_of_Destruction
16-05-2006, 19:45
...and what if the Devastators are in an elevated position? Then they get another +1 to hit...

Ah! The wonders of to hit modifiers!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-05-2006, 19:48
I remember a time before the Internet, when nutcases demanding Rending on their Toe Nails just had to hold their breath....Ah, happy days, when the ignorant and plain stupid were kept in their boxes.

Note, it's just about Rending. It's people without any tactical sense trying to claim a unit is rubbish/beardy because they can't use/counter it. See Gunlintastic in the Warhammer board.

Zzarchov
16-05-2006, 20:06
... The Internet and GW themed forums were both around before Rending came about.

About BS in 2nd Ed, don't forget, weapons had range modifiers , eg 0-12" +2 to hit, 12-30" -1, or in the case of some heavy weaponry and snipers you'd get penalties for short ranges and bonuses for long.

Spell_of_Destruction
16-05-2006, 20:16
About BS in 2nd Ed, don't forget, weapons had range modifiers , eg 0-12" +2 to hit, 12-30" -1, or in the case of some heavy weaponry and snipers you'd get penalties for short ranges and bonuses for long.

This was a good was way of representing high rate of fire. An auto pistol is obviously supposed to have a high rate of fire but only had one shot for game purposes. The high ROF was represented in the to hit modifier at short range as it was almost impossible to miss. This being more relevant in necromunda of course where you might actually see an auto pistol.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-05-2006, 20:34
I preferred a kick ass Inquisitor off his nut on Combat Drugs single handedly massacring the enemy army, leaving his troops to look on and applaud. My word those Psychich powers got nasty.

StugMeister
16-05-2006, 23:11
One thing we discovered whilst playing 2nd ed is that a SM Dreadnought can in fact walk UNDERWATER!!!!

Oh how much fun that was in our bridge battles...

Ahhh. Strategy cards. How I miss you.....thats only if I get the good ones. :D

I can't remember all of them unfortunately.

Anyone know any of the strategy cards apart from Flank Attack, Reinforcements and Virus Outbreak?

Ardathair
16-05-2006, 23:41
Anyone know any of the strategy cards apart from Flank Attack, Reinforcements and Virus Outbreak?

Just pulled out the old box.
(it was called Flank March, close enough)
Forced March, Insane Courage, Look Out Sir -AAARGH!, Ambush!, Delayed, Divine Inspiration, Saved!, Barrage, Traitor, Malfunction, Crack Shot, Craven Cowardice, Brilliant Strategy, Special Issue, and Booby Traps.

Also from WDs were Minefield, Strafing Run, Last Gasp, Covering Fire, Bombing Run, Ultimate Sacrifice, Surprise Assault, and Sabotage.

Ironhand
16-05-2006, 23:46
Strategy cards could really turn a game on it's ear. Of course, some of the wargear was flat over the top as well.

Kaoslord
17-05-2006, 03:30
Does anyone know where I might be able to get a copy of 2nd Ed? AFAIK GW Doesn't publish it anymore, so have they released the rules to Public Domain, or is it doomed to obscurity and Ebay?

Johnny Bravo
17-05-2006, 03:34
Not exactly memories, since I didn't see them the first time around, but things I miss anyway ever since I heard about them:

Giant foot-shaped template used by Orks.
The 'as many as can hang on' rule that Ork Trukks or Battlewagons used to have. Was there an actual name for that rule, or was it just written on the entry?

Ardathair
17-05-2006, 04:12
The 'as many as can hang on' rule that Ork Trukks or Battlewagons used to have. Was there an actual name for that rule, or was it just written on the entry?

That was before GW got into naming special rules, and it wasn't so much of a special rule. All vehical which could transport troops had a transportation capacity, Ork Battlewagon transportation capacity was, "Any number of models that can fit or balance on the battlewagon can be carried by it. Any models which fall off during play are judged to have actually fallen off and the normal rules apply."

There were rules for falling off of a moving vehical, including what strength hit and armor modifiers are taken based on the vehicals speed.

Finlos
17-05-2006, 05:31
Ahhh this thread brings back some memories...

I remember...
Swooping Hawks that just couldn't be hit (-lots for moving far, then -1 more because of the wings).
Swooping Hawks that would jump 24", drop grenades, then shoot you. Rinse repeat.
people were actually *scared* of the Avatar.
Shuriken catapults with a 24" range, S4, sustained fire 2 dice. Man was I upset when 3rd edition came out and found my catapults had a 12" range...
Warp Spiders fired guns that used the flamer template and rolled on initiative to hit (+1 if you were completely under the template).
Exarch were characters and were completely customizable with gear from multiple aspects.
You could shove a Marine Dreadnought *inside* a Land Raider (I have the cardboard data card around someplace to prove it!)

That's what immediately comes to mind
Finlos

DrDoom
17-05-2006, 05:44
Summoning Points.

S 12 weapons on Titans.

Chaos Dreadnoughts with Thunder Hammer.

Spell_of_Destruction
17-05-2006, 07:27

Why?

He had an impressive statline but he could be killed with one shot.

Nailed
17-05-2006, 09:46
Why?

Because he could one-shot your entire army

StugMeister
17-05-2006, 10:13
Why?

Granted, a Lascannon, Plasma Cannon or Assault Cannon could put pay to him but Melta and Flamer weapons couldn't touch him. Also, in close combat he was nigh unstoppable.

dOOHICKY
17-05-2006, 11:08
I remember surrounding the big ICs with as many men as possible....
Each person would fight individually and each consecutive model added +1 to their WS and A... So if you had 8 people around a model the last to fight would have an extra 7 WS and A...

Always a good way to take out the super combat masters.....
Although the Eversor got the same bonus (on attacks anyway) when BEING attacjked by multiple opponents!

kris.sherriff
17-05-2006, 11:12
being scared of necrons cos nothing worked when they got near you. Well nothing apart from a bloodthierster bwhaa

Spell_of_Destruction
17-05-2006, 12:14
Granted, a Lascannon, Plasma Cannon or Assault Cannon could put pay to him but Melta and Flamer weapons couldn't touch him. Also, in close combat he was nigh unstoppable.

Actually he was immune to plasma weapons too! ;)

It was twin linked lascannons and the assault cannon in particular that were the bane of him. I just found that I would have him hiding him behind the largest piece of terrain I could find all too often. Monstrous creatures on the whole are far more durable against heavy weapons in 3rd/4th ed. Of course they can now be harmed by small arms fire.

charrky
17-05-2006, 14:39
...rolling for armour penetration required D&D dice.

Gee, I don't even know where my bag of those is anymore?

Didn't a lascannon use a 20 sided dice? Man, I so can't remember... where is my turning arc template?

Nailed
17-05-2006, 14:43
btw, what happened to the squats?

Crube
17-05-2006, 14:58
IIRC at some point the Lascannon was D20+D6+9 or something ridiculous

I think it was meant to be a D6, + a dice depending on the strength etc + the strength or something...

Anyway, armour was classed out of 20 or 25 or something....

Damn my memory's going...

Phyros
17-05-2006, 15:10
It was:
Strength+Wounds dice+Bonus die depending on Strength+D6

So the Lascannon would be 9+1D20+2D6+D6.

Spell_of_Destruction
17-05-2006, 15:26
Lascannon was 3D6 + 9 in 2nd ed.

It was generally that formula of strength + damage + d6 but some weapons did get a bonus.

Power first oddly only did 1 damage but got a d20 bonus for armour pen. So 8 + d20 + d6.

Lame Duck
17-05-2006, 15:34
@nailed: Squats were taken out so fantasy and 40K warhammer would be less alike.

I really hope gw do re-introduce overwatch, perhaps with just a -1 hit modifier. That would be cool, and bring in some more tactics into the game.

Nailed
17-05-2006, 17:26
"ok, well I haven't played in a while so to be safe all these guys are going on overwatch" *puzzled look from my opponent* "you do still have overwatch right?"

grg3d
17-05-2006, 18:08
@nailed: Squats were taken out so fantasy and 40K warhammer would be less alike I don't know why they were taken out but it could be that they were to much alike SM sooooo many people want them back:wtf: I think their going to keep them out until they need to boost sales

I remember when the battle of the Farm in RT was the first time I played 40k

boogle
17-05-2006, 21:21
well basically, this has been covered many times, Squats were a mistake and at the beginning of 2nd Ed, they decided to put them on the back burner, that back burner then turned into extinction

Cornelius
17-05-2006, 21:32
well basically, this has been covered many times, Squats were a mistake and at the beginning of 2nd Ed, they decided to put them on the back burner, that back burner then turned into extinction

Squats were never a mistake, and actually got pretty much attention in RT, when the game had lots more of dark humour, and when short guys in leather jackets riding bikes with laspistols really fitted the 40k universe. In the pastelle, kiddyfied 2nd edition, they made a wrong turn, and tried to adapt Squats to Space Dwarves, and they just turned out corny whatever they tried to do. If they were to bring back the old, guerilla like RT Squats as a special unit for IG, I would be more than happy.

FallenAngel_864
17-05-2006, 21:45
When a single Marine armed with Vortex Grenades could siglehandedly win a game...

Cornelius
17-05-2006, 22:37
When a single Marine armed with Vortex Grenades could siglehandedly win a game...

Nah, that never happened. They were single use, and there was no way you could kill more than half a squad or a vehicle with it. Maybe you mean Virus Grenades?

Jedi152
18-05-2006, 08:09
Remember the vortex didn't go away immediately. It moved around the board and could get bigger or smaller.

Cornelius
18-05-2006, 08:38
Remember the vortex didn't go away immediately. It moved around the board and could get bigger or smaller.

Sure, but didn't it just move D6", and was pretty easy to avoid once it was thrown?

BDA
18-05-2006, 12:56
D-Cannons what fun.
Shot at something and it could end up any where facing any direction like upside down or 10' under the ground that would result in an very large explosion or 10' in the air where it would land on stuff and squash it... or it might just turn up unfazed doh.;)

And smoke you could lob it around and hid behind it very handy.:angel:

And wrath guard that when you killed them they could suck anything with in 1" into the warp with them :D

And the 36" movement of the swooping hawk that could drop grenades on your head as they went over you.:p

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-05-2006, 13:01
Ahhh this thread brings back some memories...

I remember...
Swooping Hawks that just couldn't be hit (-lots for moving far, then -1 more because of the wings).
Swooping Hawks that would jump 24", drop grenades, then shoot you. Rinse repeat.
Shuriken catapults with a 24" range, S4, sustained fire 2 dice. Man was I upset when 3rd edition came out and found my catapults had a 12" range...
Warp Spiders fired guns that used the flamer template and rolled on initiative to hit (+1 if you were completely under the template).
Exarch were characters and were completely customizable with gear from multiple aspects.
You could shove a Marine Dreadnought *inside* a Land Raider (I have the cardboard data card around someplace to prove it!)

That's what immediately comes to mind
Finlos

Shuriken Catapults only had a single dice of Sustained fire. However, I suspect that being Eldar, they ignored the jam result. I might be wrong on that bit though.

BaronDG
18-05-2006, 13:08
oh, no. They jammed alright. Getting five hits that translated to one hit and four jams in front of an ork horde is not something you forget. Besides, it failed to wound...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-05-2006, 13:22
Spare a though for Cade then! Terminator Armoured, Level 4 Deathwing Librarian, with a Conversion Field, off his nuts on Combat Drugs (we used those a lot!) and pumped up with Iron Arm psychic power charges towards my Imperial Guard. My lowly Primaris Psyker steps forwards, and takes his last wound off with a Laspistol......

Or the time my Magus missed with his Vortex Grenade, it scattering just behind the target model. Hybrids with Shotguns then use the knockback rule to knock him into it!

Great days, but still, 4th Edition is faster to play...

Hawkmoon
18-05-2006, 14:46
all I gotta say is, hover tanks made out of a used stick deoderant container and a spoon. and yes I did made one too.

borka
18-05-2006, 14:59
Great days, but still, 4th Edition is faster to play...

I'd rather have two hours of fun than 45 minutes of dice rolling any day....

To contribute to the thread:

....when guard squads could detach their heavy weapon to give covering fire while they advanced..

BrningHalo
19-05-2006, 02:10
Plasma missiles that "pulsed". Sometimes they got smaller, sometimes they got larger. :)

Fumbles in HtH combat. Each time you rolled a " 1 " in HtH, it added a score to your opponents total. We never laughed so hard as when a Lightning Claw terminator rolled all 1's when fighting a gretchin and ended up loosing.

Thanks,
Tom

Ifurita
19-05-2006, 02:27
when there were Minor champions and major champions,
when Rouge Trader was all you needed to play
when you needed to make your own tanks (remembers instruction on making a tank out of a deoderant stick)

NaT
19-05-2006, 03:02
This thread is awesome... However i have nothing to add :(

I cant believe i just read all 18 pages.

ScouserInExile
19-05-2006, 11:26
I've noticed a couple of people saying stuff allong the lines of "rememeber chucking a virus grenade and it scattering onto the block who threw it?". IIRC, in RT and posibly 2nd ed., you could only scatter up to 1/2 the distance between the thrower (or the shooter, for that matter) and the target. That way, you would never get hit by your own grenade / shot (unless you were thrwoing a frag grenade and inch or something).

Speaking of frags - they used to be really useful agains densely packed troops: 2" blast radius, str 4, -1 Sv. Basically a bolter with a blast radius.

Spell_of_Destruction
19-05-2006, 12:08
Wasn't that a frag missile? Grenades were only s3 IIRC but I could be wrong. Plasma Missiles/Grenades were vicious! They could blow up in the throwers face if they expanded.

Dark Reapers were brilliant in 2nd ed. As well as their frag and krak missiles they could take plasma, melta and anti plant missiles (did I miss any out?). They had targeters (+1 to hit) and a range finder helmet that ignored most negative to hit modifiers.

Stormwarningz
19-05-2006, 13:19
That was sick but very cool.

synapse
19-05-2006, 13:52
ah... the good old days, where do i begin? :)

rainbow marines!

weapons and vehicles that caused fear! (hellhound and devourewrs)... hell, anything that caused fear!

thudd guns and tarantulas

squat trikes

techmarines with giant spanners (what a diference to servo harnesses!)

being terrified of an entire army on overwatch!

inquisitor lords with the vortex power... the best character in the game

when 'nids had squigs!

imperial guard having landspeeders and jetbikes (and marines having jetbikes too)

dreadoughts that looked like eggs!

when all IG armies had everysingle available regiment represented in the army! crazy!

all harlequin-jetbike armies... i hated those

chaos armies with minotaurs beastmen, TROLLS! and all sorts of other crazy things

imperial guard beastmen suicide bombers (unbeleiveable nowadays, but true!)

genestaeler cults with magi riding pimped out limos!

when the land raider had two bolters rather than twin heavy bolters!

space marine armies with IG tanks (allies)... or IG with marine tanks (very old!)

I could go on and on... but alas, the tears have overcome me!
good thread!

Crube
19-05-2006, 14:26
Good list, Synapse. Fair bought a tear to my eye too...

also, when army lists contained entries along the lines of 'xx may take D6+6 of this grenade / henchmen' or when you could have D6 of a certain entry...

Eblis_Dead_Forever
19-05-2006, 15:14
Bikes having an armour value.

The insane amount of things that couldn't hurt the Avatar.

The Avatar actually being good.

Range modifiers.

Running Necrons over with a tank.

Mephiston having the stats of an old vampire lord and being a decent special character.

Getting 2 codexs for the price of one with the Angles of Death codex.

The price of models.

Skimmers being able to pop up from behind terrian and then hide again.

The psychic phase.

Being only able to take marines in squads of 5 or 10.

Realising that you shouldn't have been playing 40k 2nd Ed when you were only 7.

NotElite
19-05-2006, 15:51
The Smoke Grenade Rush!

I miss my Ravenwing Landspeeder getting shot out of the air, but since they were moving so fast they'd crash into the uint that shot them, doing far more damage than they would have otherwise.

Oh, and being able to start the game counting as moving, rather than having to hid speeders behind conver during deployment.

Something I don't miss, 4 turn, 4 hours games and movment rates of 4".

Inquisitors were very rare fluffwise. Now they are everywhere like Imperial Bloody Meter-Maids.

Biff79
19-05-2006, 21:51
Space Crusade

Heroquest

Spacehulk

Avatars had randomly determined stats and had Exarch skills (leap etc)

Rad Grenades and the random unseen markers used to determine their radius

Warrgh the Orks and Freebooterz and the random tables of orky goodness along with the freaky ork cards, Goff battle frenzy anyone?

Rainbow Warrior Marine chapter

The dozens of special characters that the codexes had, Space wolves had like 12. Njall Stormcaller's model was amazing!

Plasma weapons had to recharge!

Ah the memories!

dancingmonkey
19-05-2006, 22:02
you thought epic was 40k scale and wondered how much paint it took for a mega gargant... i was young!

(ironically fw seem to be making this one come true)

Ardathair
20-05-2006, 02:32
Posted by ScouserInExile:
I've noticed a couple of people saying stuff allong the lines of "rememeber chucking a virus grenade and it scattering onto the block who threw it?". IIRC, in RT and posibly 2nd ed., you could only scatter up to 1/2 the distance between the thrower (or the shooter, for that matter) and the target. That way, you would never get hit by your own grenade / shot (unless you were thrwoing a frag grenade and inch or something).

That rule was for shooting. Thrown grenades were specifically mentioned deviating the full distance no matter how far you threw it, this represented the grenade slipping out of his hand. Target is 3" infront and it deviates 6" straight back, landing behind you was possible, or landing on top of thrower if you were unlucky.

Gorgrim
22-05-2006, 10:39
...you used to shove what looked 'cool' into your army rather than cost effective choices?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
22-05-2006, 10:41
Most people still do that Gorgrim.

Don't believe the Internet!

synapse
22-05-2006, 11:06
ork/genestealer/freebooter hybrids!

Ouroboros
22-05-2006, 11:34
Remember When...

Marines cost 30 points a guy so you only needed half as many

They came with frags and kraks they could throw and kill stuff with

They, and anyone else in power armour, were immune to the gas weapons that existed and things that could blind you, which also existed

Terminators didn't care bout being set on fire

Thunderhammers auto-penetrated vehicles

Conversion fields/Rosarius blinded people when you made the save

The assault cannon could shoot up to 9 str8 shots that caused up to 10 wounds each

Close combat was a model by model affair that took almost forever to work out and yet was somehow more satisfying

Voltage fields destroyed the other guys field/inv save for the rest of the game on a 4+

Carnifexes had 10 wounds

Some chaos things had stats well over 10

There were rules for "hiding"

There were "flashback into hull" vehicle damage results

The hellhound template was a gigantic cloud of firery death that moved across the table like a giant comet immolating everything it touched

Lascannon Dreads could try to bullseye tank tracks

Dozer blades could take a hit for your frontal armour

Tanks had a turning template and speed bands and how this sometimes led to accidental crashes/rundowns

You could lite tanks and people on fire

TeddyC
22-05-2006, 13:02
Holy hell.... the memories...

My faves....

Abbadons sword

Seeing the screamer killer for the first time

When army books actually had story and fluff

When wargear was all on cards and there was little to no argument about its exact wording

THe game actually realising that a basic foot trooper didnt have to move at the same rate as a 'leet eldar Howling Banshee! (If the bought quats back now... they would be 'dwarfs' that could move the same distance as the eldar.... ignore fleet of foot)

Overwatch

Vehicle cards (quite literally.... the card orc dreadnought you got in the box!)

Daemon princes were actually special (W15 for that Nurgle one who could also eat man sized models to rgain wounds above its original amount)

Snakebite orcs (infact orc clans)

Tank shock actually meant you were shocked by a tank that could actually kill you!

3 book worth of rules... it wasnt made for pre schoolers to pick up and play. It actually rewarded tactics.... of course you might screw up and a tactic card may wipe out the army (destroying virus outbreak worked well)

A good CC system....

Blind grenades etc were used to have lasting effects on the game...

When necrons were new and caused problems electronically.... like latching onto tanks etc....

calling in bombardments...

Working out the angles of bounces for grenades and missiles....

I could go on for hours... but everything has been said... I dont miss ANYTHING about 2nd ed 40k.... even down to the box art... id bring back this games of tactical depth and fun rules to the watered down drivel we see today in a second.... (im still yet to actually get any army together for these new rules!)

Lord Malachi
22-05-2006, 13:11
Remember when people used to actually play 40k instead of b*tch about how the previous version was SO much better...

The same concept applies to D&D, rotary telephones, manual typewriters, and the Apple IIc. Sad...

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2006, 13:25
Remember when you could make an army of one guy with a Powerfield Generator and a Comm Unit..... and four orbital-drop Melta Bombs, each with 36" blast radius.

"Fire solution: On Me!"
*Turns on Powerfield*
Boom.
After rolling a few dice and finding the enemy was gone you could start again and play the real game. Ahhh the good old days.

;)

Ironhand
22-05-2006, 13:33
FRankly, I much prefer the new Rules. 2nd Edition was too gimmicky, took far to long to play, and emphasized super-characters instead of ordinary units.

Just a matter of taste I guess.

DrDoom
22-05-2006, 13:49
FRankly, I much prefer the new Rules. 2nd Edition was too gimmicky, took far to long to play, and emphasized super-characters instead of ordinary units.

Just a matter of taste I guess.

Things like Vortex Grenades helped to deal with the uber-character problem. But usually my friends and I would agree to tone those bad boys down for friendly games.

Spell_of_Destruction
22-05-2006, 14:15
Taken as a finished product, both 3rd ed and 4th ed are better than 2nd ed.

However, I still maintain that the system at the heart of the game was far more fun in 2nd ed than in subsequent editions. All it required was a bit of restraint on the part of the players.

Satan
22-05-2006, 14:23
However, I still maintain that the system at the heart of the game was far more fun in 2nd ed than in subsequent editions. All it required was a bit of restraint on the part of the players.

Funny that I've read some people complaining about the possible exploits to be found in the rules today and subesequently the incompetence of the developers for not making a waterproof set of rules. Seems old isn't always the better option. :angel:

Though if we're gonna discuss old GW boardgames... ;)

baphomael
22-05-2006, 14:44
I will always miss the days when an Ork battlewagon could carry as many Orks as you could physically fit on the model and any that fell off the Battlewagon during the course of the game were actually counted as fallin off and were removed as a casualty. I miss those days.

Oh, and, bring back the psychic phase!

Though if we're gonna discuss old GW boardgames... ;)

Trolls in the Pantry! Scratch that psychic phase, I'd be happy enough if they brought out this gem again :P

aquarsonist
08-08-2006, 20:39
I am sure some of these have been already mentioned, but:

When Plasma Grenades were trown, could scatter, then spontaneously expand to a 6" radius that could nearly wipe out a 40 model Gretchin meat shield.

When a Warlock could wear a conversion field and a displacer field over his/her warlock robes for a 4+, 4+ and a 3+ invulnerable. With a teleport jump, and powerfist; stand directly infront of a Leman Russ, and the Imperial player had to decide to fire it's battle cannon and likely destroy himself in the process, or wait to be destroyed by the powerfist. (Yes, this is maximum cheese!) However, easilly countered by the Inquisitor in Terminator armour, conversion and displacer field with the Vortex psychic power...

One game we actually placed "trails" left by the wandering vorticies (sp?) and used them as trenches. By the end of the game it looked like an ant-farm gon mad!.

Another ammusing memory was the "Pooping Hawks" as my orky playing buddy called them since they could jump accross the board and drop 3 frag grenades each. So a squad of 5 would drop 15 frag grenades on a squad and still be able to use their lasblasters. It was like a pigeon's greatest dream come true. ;-)

Warp spider exarch with power blades and a powerfist and combat drugs = smouldering husk of Land Raider + 5 highly dented Terminators.

And on that: when Exarches were independent charachters for that matter: able to roam around causing havoc and not forced to take Ld checks as their squad deminished...Heck, you didn't even have to take a Swooping Hawk squad if you just wanted the Exarch.

Oh, and when Squats could walk 3" or run 6", but Howling Banshees move was 6" and 12" run! Oh the fun times of watching the little stunties try to desperately get away...Although their crazy numbers of heavy weapons were definitely unkind... ;-) Ah stunties, so round, so firm, so FULLY Packed! They could hide behind well just about anything.

OOOO! And Imperial Robots! When you had to pay additional points for the "program" to run the bots...too funny. Well funny now. Highly annoying then.

Overall, I think it is good that the WH40K universe has "matured"...well a bit anyway. ;-)

Aqua

Xurben
08-08-2006, 21:01
Graviton gun used by jump pack having tech preist with conversion field, power fist, and vortex grenade.

Owner of a blood thirster the first time I used that: "It does WHAT??"
Nice statue buddy!

Also, when the vindicare assasin could shoot an army off the board.

(fighting eldar)
Ok, vindicare targets your farseer, 1st shot is shieldbreaker, 2nd shot hellfire round. hit, hit, dead farseer. Army breaks and goes home.

That actually happened.

x-esiv-4c
08-08-2006, 21:05
I will always miss the days when an Ork battlewagon could carry as many Orks as you could physically fit on the model and any that fell off the Battlewagon during the course of the game were actually counted as fallin off and were removed as a casualty. I miss those days.

Hehe I thought no one else remembered that :)

Ghost Dog
08-08-2006, 21:49
Graviton Gun!!! ("Your dreadnought is now terrain.")
Ragnar's Dodge save.
Ragnar's Howl (which tripled SW charge distance.)
Giving Ulrik the Slayer a vortex grenade, a displacer field, and Hrulf's Hood of Darkness, then marching him across the Tyranid-swarming field (invisibly) and dropping the Vortex Grenade on the Hive Tyrant.
Ulrik (as above) taking out both Ezekiel and a Warhound Titan with the Vortex Grenade and the Last Gasp strategy card.
The parry in CC.
Bjorn the Fell-Handed was a SW character as well as the only "venerable" dreadnought.
Arming all my Blood Claws with chainswords and power fists. :rolleyes:

I really miss 2nd Edition 40K. :(

BodhiTree
08-08-2006, 22:06
I remember playing Bar Room Brawl on our lunch breaks because it was approximately a billion times faster than 4 turns of 2nd Ed. Everyone wanted to jump off the balcony and receive uber damage for the "Knee to the Danglies". I even laminated the board and counters. One of my best friends actually recreated the game in VBasic, and we'd play it on a laptop when we were waiting for rides or more people to show up.

Edit: I also remember that we used the game to settle arguments, be they between individuals or groups of us.

ThousandPlateaus
08-08-2006, 22:24
I once gave my Farseer a vortex grenade which he threw at Bjorn the fell handed.
Of course, it was caught in a strong gust of wind and scattered straight back at him, causing him to bounce around because of his nifty displacer field.
'Phew!', thinks I.
Of course, this displacer field then bounced him straight back into the Vortex which gobbled him up!
'Damn!', thinks I.
Said vortex went on to eat Karandras, Asurman, all my Howling Banshees, half my Swooping Hawks and (thankfully) Njal Stormcaller.
Stupid grenade :)

Also, once Jain Zar managed to keep parrying Ragnar Blackmane and 4 Terminators for six turns before being cut down...and my Warp Spiders were just terrifyingly lethal! Jump, shoot (loads), jump away, assault (loads because of a tooled up Exarch) - nothing could take on that squad and survive...

Heh, the glory days! :)

(fighting eldar)
Ok, vindicare targets your farseer, 1st shot is shieldbreaker, 2nd shot hellfire round. hit, hit, dead farseer. Army breaks and goes home.

That actually happened.

Hahaha! pwn!

Kheldin
08-08-2006, 22:32
Quite apart from what's already been mentioned, what happened to that little Gretchin standard bearer that hung around Ghazgull Thraka?

Pavulon
08-08-2006, 23:31
Some things that I'm glad are gone:

Pulsa Rokkit(s): Too bad everybody within 2d12 inches gets knocked down from wherever it landed and all they can do next turn is get back up. Oh and it pushed you to the edge of the 2d12 inches and if you hit terrain while u were moving you took a hit. Ork players loved to bring 3 of those bad boys.

Bubble Chukka: Anybody else remember their land raider/dread/whatever shooting themselves due to ricochet?

5 Grey Knights: 4 had Change Allegience and the 5th had Temporal Warp.
Nightmarish to think about to this day.

When everybody in a squad could advance behind walls of blind grenades. And if you ran into a blind grenade area, you came out in a random direction. In this same vein, lets not forget good ole Rad grenades which you could throw in doorways etc and hit everybody that ran though it.

The Axe of Khorne that was carried by the Bloodthirster. You remember, when the BT died and his axe hit the ground, the axe burst and another BT jumped out of it. Stupid.

D-Cannons: I hit you with my D-cannon. You're not dead, you're just on the other side of the galaxy now. Have fun gettin home.

All these came from Rogue Trader days. The game definatly had more flavor back then, but some of it tasted kinda bad.

Souleater
08-08-2006, 23:53
My fave. The assassins. 4+ Dodge. 2D6 Terminator armour, then a 3+ Displacer field.

I hated that thing. I once watched an eldar player try to take one on with some hero that destroyed weapons when it parried or something. Unfortunately the Assassin player had had some spare points over which he had used to buy SIX powerswords..

I remember in a 4000pt a side game that the psychic phase could take 20-30mins.

I hated Parries. My nids had very few parries and everything else (even guardians pushing around weapon platforms had one, usually two).

The only recompense was that my Tyrant got to have two parries and so got to kill my mate's Avatar...although one fight went on for eighteen rounds while the shattered remenants of our armies watched...

People complain that 40k has been dumbed down...I think they forget some of the crazy stuff.

What about giving up 1/4" movement for turning? Or not being able to shoot because your lascannon guy was pointing the wrong way?

Dosadi
09-08-2006, 02:32
Remember when...

...assembling a model meant putting it on a base?

...you had a clear acitate targetting gid for shooting vehicles?

...building an army took almost as long as the game?

...your RT hardback came unbound and you had to stick it in a binder and later you purchased a softcover version and it's now in mint condition because you only ever used you binder to play with?

...the "new" orks came out and everyone was like "what's up with these clans?" and "why do half my orks do random things?" and "I wish I had a hair squg." (mostly from balding players).

...you could get 5 aspect warriors in a blister for less than what it would cost you bits order 1 now? (oooo...got one in!)

...you opened up your third box of RTB01 marines and they were beige not green? And it totally freaked you out didn't it?

...you could use your Chaos Renegade with meltagun in Fantasy Battle?

...you couldn't figure out why your Orgyn Mighty Hero had to have a webgun because you rolled it up on the equipment chart?

...when rec.games.minatures.warhammer was the only place on the "web" to talk about this game?

Ahhhh....memories...like the corner of my mind...

Dosadi

Ravik
09-08-2006, 02:50
I remember that no matter how tooled-out your character was (or even a special character), Warp Spiders would make you shake in your boots.

Heavy flamers having bigger templates..

Immolators using two heavy flamer templates...

Avatars being killed by their own sides D-Cannon...

I still have all the books and little cards from 2nd ed (including all the little counters like overwatch, which would be flipped over to something else).

I do think that 4th ed rules are better, however the way grenades work has always puzzled me to be honest.

Edit - Oh, and hand flamers had small templates too..

muskrat
09-08-2006, 07:29
Back when a subsciption to WD netted you a squad box, or the equivilant of two SM bike boxes...damn that was the best.

Ezekius
09-08-2006, 08:59
I can't help thinking that the first 2 editions were horribly unbalanced, reading these things :P Though, never played back then (wasn't even born) so I don't really know :)

scavenseer
09-08-2006, 09:54
Remener when the inqusition were mysterious and disclosed nothing about themselves? Now they are more open than a cornershop on christmas!:p

Kriegsherr
09-08-2006, 10:33
Parrying with swords.... when every self-respecting assault trooper was carrying two swords.

and every marine in a squad could carry powerfists or plasma pistols.

when a multi melta still used the 2" blast marker

when 40k was like magic with minis ;)

I can't help thinking that the first 2 editions were horribly unbalanced, reading these things :P Though, never played back then (wasn't even born) so I don't really know :)

Oh yes, they were. Really awfully unbalanced, a game could be over before turn 1. But because all dexes were about the same powerlevel, and all had the same bad loopholes, you could do really bad stuff with every army, making it more a gentlemens agreement thingy.

We for example threw out the virus outbreak card from the strategy card deck and vowed to never use the virus grenade because it was one of the rare things were some armies suffered more than others (okay, blind grenades were also quite bad against orks and IG (and my poor beastmen)). And because we wanted to play the game to win, not roll an awful lot of dices only to see a freshly deployed ork army die in an instant :)

LarryS
09-08-2006, 12:47
The misfire charts for the cyclone missile launcher that caused those wonderful catastrophic launches...:evilgrin: Nothing like watching the launcher fire a full rack into the friendly squad just ahead of it...with a 5 1/2" radius blast...

As a side note, who remembers space wolves loading terminators w/ assault cannons and cyclones on the same model?:eek: :cheese:

Blast template weapons that scattered on a miss instead of simply disappearing into thin air?

Hand flamers for assault marines?

Heavy flamer template for warp spider deathspinners?

D-cannon displacing tanks into the air...upside down...:p

And yes, put me on the "I miss overwatch" list.

chrisdabeard
09-08-2006, 13:42
does anyone remeber when you had those profile diagrams of vehicles, and you had to put that plastic grid over the top to see where you had hit it. that was cool but really time consuming. Remember playing against a Guard army with about 15 tanks. God, we were there for days.....:chrome:

Gen.Steiner
09-08-2006, 13:45
Hand flamer templates. I love those things!

Foot of Gork. Now that's a template and a half!

BLZBOB
09-08-2006, 13:51
Parrying with swords.... when every self-respecting assault trooper was carrying two swords.

when a multi melta still used the 2" blast marker

Oh yes and the dreadnaught multi melta had two settings, a 2" template at full whack or heavy flamer mode, bolt on the missile pod that cound spit out D3 missiles a turn too, some serious hurt.

Simsandwich
09-08-2006, 13:52
Wow, Im relatively new to the hobby, and some of this stuff is really entertaining.
Thanks you guys for posting this stuff, its brilliant.

WarbossKurgan
09-08-2006, 13:53
We for example threw out the virus outbreak card from the strategy card deck and vowed to never use the virus grenade because it was one of the rare things were some armies suffered more than others (okay, blind grenades were also quite bad against orks and IG (and my poor beastmen)). And because we wanted to play the game to win, not roll an awful lot of dices only to see a freshly deployed ork army die in an instant :)

We did this for most games of Rogue Trader: Rad Grenades were added to the "banned" list when everyone started buying Rad Suits as a matter of habbit!

We sometimes had daft "anything goes" games as well though.

hellfire
09-08-2006, 14:18
you can find 40k compatible overwatch rules here
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/advanced.htm
If you really like overwatch just reintroduce it

Chem-Dog
09-08-2006, 14:24
Remember when Overwatch and Strategy Cards gave the game a deeper tactical element?

*nostalgic sigh*

So good.

Remember when a Virus outbreak could win (or loose) a battle for you before anybody made a move?

Ravik
09-08-2006, 14:42
Demons of opposing allegiance hating each other. This could cause them to fight each other and disappear into the warp. It made being undivided harder if you wanted more than one kind of demon (e.g. Demonettes and Bloodletters).

carl
09-08-2006, 14:46
Any possibility of anyone posting the old rules for:

Rad Grenades
Virus Grenades
Blind Grenades
Stasis Grenades
Shadowseer Psychic Powers (or just a list of the names would help).

I'm doing somthing Harlequin related and woulden't mind bringing these back in a balanced form, but need a few ideas to help seperate them all out.

IJW
09-08-2006, 14:47
I seem to remember an RT-era game where the opponent fielded a single techmarine standing in the corner of the board. Who called down supporting fire from off-board in the form of an absolutely huge Vortex Missile. Which had such a large blast radius that it couldn't deviate off the board - the only variable was whether the techmarine's corner was hit or not. Even Displacer Fields didn't help as they just displaced the user somewhere else within the blast radius...

And a brief period where Space Marine standard equipment didn't list infra-vision visors for seeing through smoke grenades. Fighting a Harlequin force where every model carried smoke grenades and could see right through the smoke. The solitaire took a single wound, while every single marine died horribly.

IJW
09-08-2006, 14:50
Can't remember Rad grenade effects, but virus set up a chain reaction in troops that didn't have sealed suits, blind grenades left markers on the table that blocked ALL LoS and shooting, stasis grenades did much the same, but anything in the area was in stasis and took no further part in the game unless the grenade effect dissipated. In RT, Harlequin High Warlocks (later became shadow seers) used the same powers as all over psykers, can't remember about 2nd ed.

carl
09-08-2006, 14:57
What kind of chain Reaction (ldo you mean like having Bio-Explosive ammo that causes anyone killied by the exploshion to explode as well)?

Hmm plenty of too good affects, but sounds intresting as most could be brought into line.

Thanks.

athamas
09-08-2006, 15:14
Rad grenades were fun...

hmmm there were alot of grenades in 2ed..

Chem-Dog
09-08-2006, 15:16
From memory- Rad grenades had a randomly determined 1"-3" blast radius and stayed in play, only an impatial 3rd party (or in the absence of a 3rd party, the owning player) and models with scanners could tell what the blast was, there was something like a S4+D6 hit for anyone who got into the blast, they were excellent for area denial.
Hellfire psychic power, you could never guarantee it would do any damage but it provided you with an instant impassable object that blocked LoS, how many leman russ crews owe their lives to it?
Location specific Bionics, no hardnut combat monster could think about not taking a Bionic Leg with the special Kick attack.

What kind of chain Reaction

I don't remeber the specifics but basically any model killed by the virus became a vector for the virus and anyone within (I think it was 3") the area effect of the Virus had to test against it (I think it was a roll equal or under the model's toughness) it would rip through a guard army JUST because anyone who succeded their roll was then required to take another test because a nearby squad mate went down with it, I remember Commissar Yarrick taking over 20 saves for it in one game.

BLZBOB
09-08-2006, 15:18
Had a virus grenade kill three squads of guardians, basically won the game and that was the only shot fired up to that point. IIRC displacer fields didnt work against vortex weaponry as once they powered up you were automatically sucked into the warp. I do remember fondly the powerfield that gave you a 2+invulnerable save, you did count as envumbered and lost -1 from combat resolution but calgar always liked carrying it, especially in those days of lascannon snipers and 9 shot assault cannons.

emperorpenguin
09-08-2006, 15:52
I never played 2nd edition, so for me nostalgia is fondly remembering games of Space Crusade. How I always picked the Imperial Fists and loved the look of the Eldar when they were introduced.
That early inspiration has led me to do an Alaitoc army for the new Eldar codex.

Cyboss GrimTeef
09-08-2006, 17:20
Wow, I remember almost all of that stuff... Man.

Remember when your Rogue Trader book fell apart because the glue binding wore out?

Remember skyboards? And squats riding them?

...when Techmarines had big clawed hands on their shoulder armor...

...when Terminators came in a box of 8 metal models, that included a Commander, a Librarian, a Sergeant and 5 other Terminators?

... when Terminators had that round faceplate and huge shoulderguards and twin-bolters with a sickle magazine out the top and the bottom?

... Eldar were really mostly pirates?

... as was mentioned already, when Rhinos came 3 in a box and Marines were 30 to a box?

... the old plastic orks? Ork Dreadnought? Runtbots? Tinboyz?! Tinboyz! When they had Armor Value and a Power Fist and a Heavy Bolter. That could even move and fire if I remember right...

... Space Crusade? And the ED-209-from-Robocop-looking Chaos Dread? And Chaos Androids? Which looked a lot like the current Necrons...

When the fastest way to get a bunch of orks was the buy the Thrugg Bullneck's Space Ork Raiders box set? Came with 15 to 20 orks or so.

... when the Imperial War Machine box was released that included: the Squat Mole Mortar that fired its shells underground, the Imperial Guard Tarantula, and the old old old Space Marine Land Speeder?

When the Imperial Guard had Land Speeders?

When Genestealers were actually NOT linked to Tyranids, and Zoats were linked to Tyranids. When the Zoats were like heralds of the Tyranids and would even sometimes throw off the yoke of Tyranid Oppression and become free agents on their own...?

When Beastmen fought alongside Imperial Guard, at roughly the same time as the Human Bombs models were released? When Ogre Models from fantasy were used in a Ogryn squad? With the B.O.N.E.Head enhanced Ogryn with Ripper Gun?

When Colonel Shaffer actually had other named characters in his Last Chancers that weren't just random figures...

... Imperial Guard Trooper Bush!

Ork Goffik Rockers! Wish I had those minis... :(

Memories indeed...

IJW
09-08-2006, 17:45
@ Grimteef - remember? I've still got a lot of the minis you mentioned...

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 18:04
Ork Goffik Rockers! Wish I had those minis... :(

Were those the ones with electric guitars? Where the lead singer had a top hat on with a feather and held a microphone in his right hand and a guitar by the neck in his left? Circa slannesh noise marines with electric guitars as well...

Oh oh oh! Does anyone remember hexagonnal bases? They were used for fire arcs i think and maybe LoS...

LarryS
09-08-2006, 18:17
Space marine jet bikes...

How about the graviton gun? If you can't kill an enemy, immobilize it for the rest of the game.

Imperial guard land raiders, including regimental color schemes.

Personally, I liked the ork heavy weapons. The hop-splat gun that bounced shots around the table. How about the damage effects for the snotling teleporter (can't remember the name)?

Eldar dreadnoughts with jump packs. And living pilots!

Powerfields on many of the 1st ed vehicles?

Anyone remember the ambull?

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 18:25
@LarryS.. Good memories man. I still have old White Dwar-fs/ves though... The memories are slightly rose tinted of some of the models. I could never forget the lynx/axe shower gel hovercar in the rogue trader rulebook though.... *shudder!*

jedipenguin
09-08-2006, 18:54
So much good stuff

Pulsa Rokkits
Squig Catapult,
Hop Splat gun
Shokk Attack Gun
Jones is acting strangely
Silly dreadnoughts
Noise marines with guitars :P
All the old Ork wargear
Hallucinogen Grenades
Cyclone Catastrophic launch table
Wraithlords were just called 'Eldar Dreadnought' and had armour values.
The insanity that were Inquisitor Lords in Termy Armour and Old School Assasins
Uber Exarchs of death
Electro Hulls

So many fond memories if hard to fit them all in...

LarryS
09-08-2006, 19:18
@jimbobodoll - don't make me think about the pics of some of the models from old wd/rogue trader days. If you remember the speed stick hovercraft you remember some of those old marine conversions...the flying one with the huge propeller on his back...(shudder)

hereticdave
09-08-2006, 21:37
As irritating as it was having a ton of datafax's around i always liked the location specific hits particularly when hit by a D-Cannon - man i loved that chart....OK left track segment lands here, right stays where it his and um...the hull disappears! Woot!

[True story of the demise of one rhino carrying Marneus Calgar with 5 Assault Marines]

Ardathair
09-08-2006, 22:35
Posted by LarryS
@jimbobodoll - don't make me think about the pics of some of the models from old wd/rogue trader days. If you remember the speed stick hovercraft you remember some of those old marine conversions...the flying one with the huge propeller on his back...(shudder)

How about Space Marine Davros in the same picture. Replaced a Space Marines legs with a Dalek's lower section. Back when Citadel produced Dr. Who miniatures. Or Space Marine with an Ork Head.

hereticdave
09-08-2006, 23:33
too funny - that kinda similar to the description of the limbless Blood Drinker from "Space Marine" :)

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 23:44
Jeeeeez. I haven't seen (possibly mind scrubbed by in the games workshop inquisition?) those horrible conversion ideas fortunately. It would most undoubtably flip my mind and have my falling into the worship of dark gods. (ie rackham minitures)

thanoson
10-08-2006, 07:13
Marines that weren't in a chapter. Sporting things like, Kill, Kill, Kill on their shoulder pads.

Pulsa Rokits.

Hop Spalt Guns. Especially if you just kicked it off of a moving vehicle.

Vehicles moving full speed and still firing all of their weapons.

The real Juggernaughts. Not the Khorne one's, but the one you would play a battle on.

Jokero and their wonderful digital weapons.

Jump Pack Terminators with plasma pistols.

Jump Pack ork dread naughts.

Eldar Spirit Warrior dreadnaughts with psychic powers.

Outlaw289
10-08-2006, 07:36
God! The old stuff sounded so crazy! This stuff is great. Its a real lol moment reading about T3 Space Marines and jump-pack plasma pistol Terminators. And the tyranid "random crap happening" tables :p :D

WarbossKurgan
10-08-2006, 12:32
The real Juggernaughts. Not the Khorne one's, but the one you would play a battle on.
Wow! I'd forgotten about them! The table would represent part of it's upper surface and the attacker would be trying to break in through access hatches and loading bays!

Awesome.... gives me a Medusa V related idea.... :angel:

Jim
10-08-2006, 12:37
Sorry if someone else has mentioned this already but I don't have the time to wade through 25 pages of posts....

Trolls in The Pantry (complete with sing a long casette tape)

Need I say more???!!!

jimbobodoll
10-08-2006, 12:40
Sorry if someone else has mentioned this already but I don't have the time to wade through 25 pages of posts....

Need I say more???!!!

Don't forget about the foray GW had into the music industry and the heavy metal bands they had signed to their record label.... I kid you not. I believe one was called, "Wraith"...

WarbossKurgan
10-08-2006, 14:06

Is this available as an MP3? I never actually heard the tape!

There was a whole thread about GWs musical dabblings!

carl
10-08-2006, 14:11
OMG, GW in the Music Business:p :p :wtf: