PDA

View Full Version : My first report! High Elves vs Warriors of Chaos 2000pts

Darrenjdd
14-06-2012, 19:42
So hello everyone, this is my first battle over 1250 points, my first attempt at using battle chronicler, and so my first battle report :D Hope you’ll read and comment at the end, though it’ll probably be quite long.

This battle was important to me as I’ve never won a game of Warhammer out of the 10 or 12 I’ve played (all against the same opponent). So here are the lists:

High Elves

Archmage 315
Level 4, Lore of Life, Annulian Crystal

Noble BSB 168
Great weapon, Armour of Caledor, Dawnstone

29 Spearmen 286
FC

10 Archers 110

10 Archers 110

20 White Lions 385
FC, Banner of Sorcery

14 Swordmasters 250
FC, Banner of Eternal Flame

5 Dragon Princes 185
Champion, The Other Trickster’s Shard

Lion Chariot 140

Great Eagle 50

TOTAL 1999

Warriors of Chaos

Sorcerer Lord 270
Level 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Stuff

The Troll King Throgg 175

18 Chaos Warriors 326
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields, Halberds

20 Chaos Marauders 130
Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons

20 Chaos Marauders 130
Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Trolls 225

5 Chaos Knights 230
Mark of Khorne

Chaos Warshrine 130

Hellcannon 205

TOTAL 2005

It was a friendly game and we’re good friends so I wasn’t bothered about the 5 points extra. We both had a pretty good idea of what each of us would take, so that’s why I had the flame banner on Swordmasters, as I was worried about trolls, but wanted my White Lions free to take on Chaos Knights if they were deployed away from each other. The idea behind The Other Trickster’s Shard was to get my Dragon Princres round the back of the Chaos army and kill things with ward saves, like Warshrines and Sorcerers.

Spells: My opponent got some spells that I can’t remember (and weren’t important – you’ll see why later), and I got Flesh to Stone, Thrown of Vines, Regrowth and Dweller’s.

So we rolled for deployment and Chaos deployed first. It was a horrible experience, as my opponent had more chaff drops than me, and I was really hoping to get my Swordmasters opposite the Trolls. We’d told each other our lists beforehand so my opponent was doing everything in his power to stop this from happening, and naturally they went down last.

One minor thing is that there was a rock just forward of my archers and lion chariot, that blocked line of sight, but I couldn’t figure out how to put it on battle chronicler.

We rolled for first turn and my opponent (for about the 2nd time ever) rolled higher, and obviously chose to go first.

Chaos Turn 1

Not a lot happens, everything moves forward. Fortunately for me, my opponent had tried so hard to deploy his Knights away from my Lions, and Trolls away from Swords, that he blocked his own units in the movement phase. He charged his mage forward to get within magic range of my units, thinking that either his army would catch up, or he would turn tail and run before my units could get to him. Crucially though, his Hellcannon failed its leadership test and rampaged forwards 8 inches.

Magic saw 9 vs 7 after the crystal. He cast something I can’t remember at my Eagle, which I reluctantly let through, to see my poor bird crash to the ground. Everything else was dispelled.

High Elves Turn 1

So here you’ll see my inability to use battle chronicler. I don’t know how to remove units from the table, and I don’t know how to make the little explosion markers to show hits, or skulls to show units dying. You’ll just have to bear with me.

Anyway, everything moved forwards, apart from the left hand archers who were just able to see the warhounds. Magic saw me roll well (thanks banner!), 12 vs 6, so I got up Throne of Vines. With nothing to regrow, and nothing in range except the warhounds and his sorcerer, I decided to go for a cheeky Dweller’s on his magic man. With 6 vs 6 dice, and a strength of 4 it didn’t seem very likely but…..I got it through and then my opponent rolled a……..6!! I could barely contain myself as his magic phase was dragged below.

Shooting saw my left hand archers shoot at the warhounds over that way, killing 2 and causing a panic test which they failed (we forgot that Chaos get to reroll panic tests….we usually forget a lot of things), and this caused the marauders behind them to also take a panic test which they failed too. Awesome. After their flee move I could now forget about the far left for the rest of the game. The right hand archers had only moved 5 inches (though it looks a lot more in the picture) and with the range being over halfway they only managed to kill one warhound.

Chaos Turn 2

Obviously everything flies forwards, including the Hellcannon which once again failed its leadership test. The Chaos Knights get out of the shadow of the Trolls so they can kill something soon. Although it looks terrifying for the Knights to be looking right at my Archmage, the invisible rock meant that they couldn’t quite get to the archers (annoyingly this blocked my Archmage from seeing and helping out the Dragon Princes). I forgot to do it in Battle Chronicler but the warhounds continued to flee and ended up the other side of the marauders, who rallied.

Magic phase: ahahahahahahahahaha!

Shooting phase: The units were closer than they look, and Throgg used his breath weapon on the Dragon Princes (forgot they have a 2+ ward against flames and breath weapons), killing 2 of them.

High Elves Turn 2

Charge!!!! I was thrilled I could get the White Lions into combat with the Chaos Knights, held the Swordmasters back though because the Warriors had +1AS buff from the warshrine. I brought the archers up to the side of the swordmasters so I could get into the flank of the warriors after their (inevitable) charge next turn.

Magic saw Flesh to Stone go on the White Lions for toughness 7 :D I was debating whether to put it on the Swords or Lions. The Swords were probably going to get hit hard next turn, but the Lions could get hit this turn. I should have put it on the Swordmasters….

Shooting saw another 2 warhounds killed from the middle group.

So, in the middle the spears and BSB killed 5 maruaders, and lose 4 in return. With all my ranks and standards the Marauders were forced to flee, but I chose not to pursue so I could get into the Warshrine or Warriors next turn. The White Lions managed to kill all 5 Chaos Knights…definitely should have put flesh to stone on the Swords. They then overran into the Hellcannon. In the Troll combat, Throgg challenged my champion, and naturally slaughtered him. The Chariot got a wound with its impact hits, and altogether the Elves scored 6 wounds, and the Trolls managed a measly 4, 1 on the chariot, and 2 Dragon Princes fell to the ground (the other wound was overkill from the challenge). With charges, and in the flank, it meant the trolls were running. I passed tests to restrain, as I would be stuck in front of the White Lions anyway.

Chaos Turn 3

I hope the picture makes sense. The Warriors obviously charged my Swordmasters, not so obviously the warhounds and warshrine charged my spearmen in either flank (my opponent thought this would negate my rank bonuses, but I reminded him he had to have 2 full ranks to do that). This turn the left warhounds rallied, and the marauders marched to the battle. The picture doesn’t show this, but as they never got to take part I’m sure no one cares.

My opponent dispelled Throne of Vines, and so it was on to combat. The Swordmasters killed 5 warriors, and lost 6 in return (really definitely should have put Flesh to Stone on them). With their banner they only lost by 1 and thankfully held fast. The Spears and BSB obviously annihilated the 2 pesky warhounds, and actually managed to get a couple of wounds on the warshrine. It killed 3 spearmen in return, and ranks and standards meant it fled. The White Lions destroyed the Hellcannon and reformed to meet the Trolls (who had rallied earlier)

High Elves Turn 3

So the archers charge the warriors in the side, the spearmen charge the middle marauders. My opponent expected me to charge the Trolls, but I decided to reform to ranks of 8, to get as many attacks as possible against them. At this point the Trolls had had a few buffs from the Eye of the Gods, once of which was +1 Strength, so I was also waiting for backup before I charged in. The lone Dragon Prince moved to get within flank charge range next turn, the chariot moved to do something useful (think it was pointing towards centre in reality). My other archers moved forwards around the invisible rock so the Archmage could try to regrow some Princes.

Magic saw Throne go up again, Regrowth was dispelled, but Flesh to Stone went on the Swordmasters. There was nothing left to shoot at, so we went to combat.

The archers obviously killed nothing, but were only there for combat resolution. It turned out this was overkill as the Swordmasters killed 5 Warriors, and their attacks back couldn’t get through their toughened flesh. One archer was killed, but this couldn’t save the warriors from fleeing. I tried to chase them my opponent rolled 11 and I couldn’t get near. This isn’t really shown in the next picture but by now it doesn’t really matter. The Spearmen kill 6 Marauders and lose 8 in return. Again, ranks and standards mean the Elves win easily and then run down and destroy the Marauders.

Chaos Turn 4

Getting shorter now. Some stuff happens on the left, the Warriors keep fleeing, the Trolls charge the Lions. The Lions lose 5 of their number, including their champion who died in his challenge with Throgg. They managed to kill another Troll, and passed their stubborn break test to stay in the fight.

High Elf Turn 4

Dragon Prince charges in the Trolls flank, magic manages to regrow a few Lions. In combat the Lions kill another 2 Trolls, and lose some of their own, but they win overall. The Prince chases down and butchers Throgg, and at this point my opponent called it.

Victory to the High Elves!!!

My first victory, it feels great to know I’m not the worst Warhammer player on the planet. Obviously there were some mistakes made, I think my opponent was too afraid of my units and that blocked his own movement phase. He was also very unlucky, the Hellcannon didn’t fire once, and the Sorcerer getting dwellered didn’t help.

It turns out it takes a very long time to write a battle report, so this is where I’ll stop, I’d love to hear comments (especially criticisms) on our lists, and all the silly things we did. Thanks for reading!

DarKolia
15-06-2012, 22:52
Hi
Interesting report thanks for the time spent... nice victory too!

As far as I am concerned I find HE overpowered (ASF+ Great weapons) but I thought that CW would be a tougher matchup...
I think your opponent should have used a 40 Marauders unit instead of 2 20 ones... (mostly with shield and tzeench mark to make them more resilient to your great weapons making them an anvil, his CW and CK being the hammers) His battleline was too widespread too and your fleeing his left wing (wrongly) allowed you to concentrate on the unit you chose...

Methios
17-06-2012, 09:03
I knew the WoC were going to loose when i read the army lists.
Units of 20 marauders....realy? :)
And the troll king is fluffy too.

Sexiest_hero
17-06-2012, 15:00
Throgg is a beast. good game.

Darrenjdd
17-06-2012, 18:36
Hi
Interesting report thanks for the time spent... nice victory too!

As far as I am concerned I find HE overpowered (ASF+ Great weapons) but I thought that CW would be a tougher matchup...
I think your opponent should have used a 40 Marauders unit instead of 2 20 ones... (mostly with shield and tzeench mark to make them more resilient to your great weapons making them an anvil, his CW and CK being the hammers) His battleline was too widespread too and your fleeing his left wing (wrongly) allowed you to concentrate on the unit you chose...

Got to disagree with overpowered. HE might be powerful, but the fact they're so expensive and die so easily I think it makes up for it. They're deadly in the hands of a skilled general, but they're easily beaten in the hands of a poor one (which is why I've lost about 10 and won 1).

Thanks for the comments, my opponent won't be fielding 20 marauders next time, and there'll probably be a BSB in there too. Not looking forward to facing Throgg's trolls again, they're pretty tough. I'll post a battle report later in the week after the game.

DarKolia
17-06-2012, 20:14
Got to disagree with overpowered. HE might be powerful, but the fact they're so expensive and die so easily I think it makes up for it. They're deadly in the hands of a skilled general, but they're easily beaten in the hands of a poor one (which is why I've lost about 10 and won 1).

Well I play mostly WE so maybe I think that any other army is OP!
;)
I also have a huge HE army I never play (something like 50 WL and 50 SM...etc.) because my friends (two play HE) are still learning the game (and I still win with WE) and the only time I played something else (Bret against VC) turned to be a huge massacre in my favor (and therefore not very fun)... so I do not dare to play HE... I agree that elves are T3 AS 5+ and therefore fragile but ASF + great weapon with rerolls to hit and high strength attack allows you to cut through nearly anything if you play carefully (WL being more efficient in large blocks and SM in small ones)...
It is quite natural to lose at the beginning and I think that you played well this game... even if as you have said you have been a bit lucky... As I have been told in bujinkan, if you fall eight time, stand up nine...
Anyway when the new HE armybook turns out on the shelf, prepare yourself to lose ASF + great weapon (that's almost in the rules and I will welcome this so I will field my HE again).

EDIT: I edit this post to add that I do not brag about my scores at LoTR where I am a beginneer... ;)