PDA

View Full Version : Ogres: Tournament - 2,400pts Help please...

Pawn of Decay
15-06-2012, 15:23
After some reasonable success with my Ogres at the UK March Throne of Skulls tournament and winning the Best Ogre General, it is about time they come out again and hit another tournament.

This time the tournament is run by a local gaming club and is run at 3 games of Fantasy in a day with 2,400 point lists. The tournament isnít until the first weekend in November, however with some painting required, I wanted to try and hammer out the army list early on.

All comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated. Although I had a good success at the Throne of Skulls in March, I believe it must have been beginners luck. I am really not a fantasy player and any advice would be excellent.

The army list is as follows:

Lord:

Slaughter Master
- Level 4
- The Fencers Blades
- Hellheart

Heroes:

Bruiser
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Great Weapon
- Heavy Armour

Firebelly
- Level 2
- Great Weapon

Core:

Ironguts (16)
- Standard Bearer
- Standard of Discipline
- Lookout Gnoblar
- Musician

Special:

Mournefang (4)
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of Eternal Flame
- Ironfists
- Heavy Armour

Mournefang (4)
- Ironfists
- Heavy Armour

Mournefang (4)
- Ironfists
- Heavy Armour

Rare:

Thundertusk

EcoWarrior
15-06-2012, 15:28
I dont play ogres but that big unit oif ironguts, are they stubborn or do they do anything or have anything to prevent breaking or panic ?

ogretyrant
15-06-2012, 16:43
The ogre stronghold had loads of fantastic advice for ogre players!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Flydd
15-06-2012, 17:43
Couple of suggestions, I am assuming you are going to put all three characters in the ironguts. If so what I suggest is drop one of the iron guts and the great weapon from the firebelly. I would then give the BSB a ward save to ensure it survives longer. Also try and squeeze the dispel scroll in for the firebelly. If the firebelly has an additional hand weapon rather than a great weapon he will strike before the ironguts so could remove any regen on the target unit before the rest of the guts strike.

Gaargod
15-06-2012, 18:32
Try and find some points for 3x1 sabretusks? Those things are still amazing as redirectors.

As Flydd said, definitely drop the great weapon for additional hand weapon - his flaming attacks will make regen units a lot more worried. You only get his breath weapon once, remember. He also, as mentioned, could do with a dispel scroll. The BSB could indeed do with some extra protection -a 5+ armour is rather meh, and even T5 W4 won't keep him alive long if they want him dead.

Am personally not keen on thundertusks, but s'up to you. Certainly Ironblasters are more... reliably useful.

Confessor_Atol
15-06-2012, 19:31
My cheap ogre BSB load out is; heavy armor, iron fist, dragon helm. That gives him a 3+ (2+ against flames) at T5. This typically keeps him resiliant enough to get the job done. Besides all those IGs will give you plenty of high strength attacks.

Also, you could move the heart to the fire belly, and add the stubborn crown to the level 4. This will save your game.

And, like everyone else said, find points for units of single saber tusks. they're worth their weight in gold.

Pawn of Decay
18-06-2012, 14:23
EcoWarrior
I dont play ogres but that big unit oif ironguts, are they stubborn or do they do anything or have anything to prevent breaking or panic ?

No they don't, but they are leadership 9 with the re roll from the BSB.

Flydd
Couple of suggestions, I am assuming you are going to put all three characters in the ironguts. If so what I suggest is drop one of the iron guts and the great weapon from the firebelly. I would then give the BSB a ward save to ensure it survives longer. Also try and squeeze the dispel scroll in for the firebelly. If the firebelly has an additional hand weapon rather than a great weapon he will strike before the ironguts so could remove any regen on the target unit before the rest of the guts strike.

Yes the three characters are going to be joining the Irongut unit. Dropping an Irongut would not be a problem at all. Changing the Great Weapon to an additional Hand Weapon on the Firebelly also makes perfect sense. I really hadn't thought about it that way. Getting the points for a dispell scroll would be nice, but I am unsure that the BSB needs a Ward Save. In the few tournament and practice games I have played with the army, he has very rarely been called to use it. I am sure that in some situtations he would benefit from it, however is it worth dropping other things for an item that will not get used very often?

Gaargod
Try and find some points for 3x1 sabretusks? Those things are still amazing as redirectors.

As Flydd said, definitely drop the great weapon for additional hand weapon - his flaming attacks will make regen units a lot more worried. You only get his breath weapon once, remember. He also, as mentioned, could do with a dispel scroll. The BSB could indeed do with some extra protection -a 5+ armour is rather meh, and even T5 W4 won't keep him alive long if they want him dead.

Am personally not keen on thundertusks, but s'up to you. Certainly Ironblasters are more... reliably useful.

I have played around with the Sabretusks a bit and they have been useful but what would you suggest dropping to fit them in?

With regards to Ironblasters... I am really stumpted on everyones love of them. I have been play testing them for quite some time now and have never found them to be even close to as effective as the Thundertusk. They really do very different things for the army, but the main problem I have with the Ironblaster is the lack of doig anything. After using it on numerous occassions it either dies turn 1, blows itself up or fails to kill what it shoots at. In 1 game it did take out a Daemonprince turn 1, but after that it did very little for the rest of the game... and it has only happened in the one game.

I am sure that they are great and have there uses, but I am really not sold on them. Thundertusks on the other hand, I believe are amazing. :D