PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Shoot and Multiple Shots

Gradek
16-06-2012, 12:30
I think this is right because the rules don't actually say anything different under "stand and shoot", but if someone charges my unit of 10 outriders, do I get to make all 30 shots with my "stand and shoot" reaction?

yabbadabba
16-06-2012, 12:48
Yes

bill posters will be prosecuted

T10
18-06-2012, 19:39
Bill Posters is an innocent man!

Luigi
18-06-2012, 21:50
so would said unit gets -2 at hitting (1 for charge reaction and 1 for multiple shots)?

SanDiegoSurrealist
19-06-2012, 00:09
yes, that is correct

Karolinen
02-07-2012, 21:30
You can also choose to shoot 1 shot/gun and only get -1 at hitting. (10 shots at 4+ or 30 shots at 5+)
I dont know if u get a -1 for shooting at long range?

Mr_Rose
02-07-2012, 22:03
I dont know if u get a -1 for shooting at long range?

Range penalties are based on the distance to the target; this applies just as much when shooting at chargers as it does in the regular shooting phase.

Scalebug
02-07-2012, 22:23
You can, but it is always as good or better to fire multiple shots, unless there is some additional rules in play, like poison not having effect if you need a 7+ to hit and such...

(and of course, you could be doing some tactically precise manoeuvres where you don't want to kill too many opponents, like for example you could be aiming for taking a small charging enemy down enough so that your outriders can kill them in close combat, and use the combat reform to realign for your next turns shooting, so you actually don't want to shoot them all to pieces... or something like that, but that very situational. Very satisfying when a plan like that works out though...)

Yes, you get the long range penalty if that is where the opponent are when you shoot, so unless they are charge from between their M-value (if they are closer you don't get to stand and shoot anyway) and 12", there is another -1 to the shots. You off-set it with taking a repeater pistol for your champion instead of a repeater handgun, although then you would for most any other situation be paying points for getting less shots... generally not worth it. Or you could join a character with a pistol to the unit... which could work, but then you a paying a bunch of points just for helping you out in a situation you are at the end of the day better off avoiding completely instead...

TheBloodGuy
10-07-2012, 12:12
IIRC, you don't get the -1 for at long range if they start at long range, because it is assumed the unit being charged would be smart enough to wait until they charged into short range before shooting. I don't have the BRB with me, but am pretty positive it states it explicitly.

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2012, 12:29
IIRC, you don't get the -1 for at long range if they start at long range, because it is assumed the unit being charged would be smart enough to wait until they charged into short range before shooting. I don't have the BRB with me, but am pretty positive it states it explicitly.

Nope, they shoot as soon as the enemy is in range of everyone that can shoot.
So the only way to stand and shoot at short range is...
-the enemy starts within short range of your weapon
-somebody in your unit has a weapon whoose long range is equal to or less than your short range

Memnos
10-07-2012, 12:34
Nope, they shoot as soon as the enemy is in range of everyone that can shoot.
So the only way to stand and shoot at short range is...
-the enemy starts within short range of your weapon
-somebody in your unit has a weapon whoose long range is equal to or less than your short range

This is correct. As an addendum: You get to shoot even if the opponent is out of range, which is probably what TheBloodyGuy remembers.

theshoveller
10-07-2012, 12:38
You're thinking of the bit where it explains that the shooting unit is always considered to be in range of the unit charging them, it doesn't specify long or short.

Which annoys me, mildly, since they justify it as "the shooting unit wait til the charging unit are in range before firing". They could just as easily wait for said unit to get to short range...

The bearded one
10-07-2012, 14:00
You're thinking of the bit where it explains that the shooting unit is always considered to be in range of the unit charging them, it doesn't specify long or short.

Which annoys me, mildly, since they justify it as "the shooting unit wait til the charging unit are in range before firing". They could just as easily wait for said unit to get to short range...

Not everyone is as keen to wait to the last second to fire their missileweapons, before taking out their close combat weapon.

TheBloodGuy
10-07-2012, 15:01
This is correct. As an addendum: You get to shoot even if the opponent is out of range, which is probably what TheBloodyGuy remembers.

That will be it. Thanks for clearing that up!

theshoveller
10-07-2012, 15:19
Not everyone is as keen to wait to the last second to fire their missileweapons, before taking out their close combat weapon.
Bayonets, damnit!

I want a bayonet on my shortbow!